Calgary Flames Drafting and Development: Your Analysis

rickross

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

For me that 1st comes into play if a number 1 goalie becomes available via trade. I am not sure there is a goalie that will be available so I would just draft the best player available with the pick.

Would Brodie fetch another 1st, and should that be considered. We're pretty heavy on D. If Fantom is re-signed, he's played both sides. Andersson has taken huge strides. Is Brodie running out of real estate? Or would you look at Hamonic's hard style as someone whose career may have a shorter lifespan?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Same. The playoffs will be telltale imo. A good run would make for harder choices.

We've got some depth below the A, but how much of that you'd identify as Top 6 forward depth is suspect.

I think we'll see a lot of RFA's, particularly with arb rights, not qualified.

The biggest question for me is Stone. He's overpaid and would be the popcorn eater when we can re-sign Fantenberg at < half and move Fanta to RD.

The key to Stone is health. If healthy he will be tradeable. The main decisions will surround Neal, Frolik, Bennett, Jankowski and Brodie IMO. They could also move on from Ryan, Mangiapane and Czarnik. I'm not saying they will but a mix of considerations will be taken into account. Depends on how crazy BT wants to be.

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Would Brodie fetch another 1st, and should that be considered. We're pretty heavy on D. If Fantom is re-signed, he's played both sides. Andersson has taken huge strides. Is Brodie running out of real estate? Or would you look at Hamonic's hard style as someone whose career may have a shorter lifespan?

I think you can move Brodie for a 1st, not sure you would get a 1st for Hamonic though. I also think Hamonic is more of glue guy in the dressing room and more of a leader than Brodie.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Brodie would be 1st on my list to deal but I doubt we get a 1st round pick maybe 2-2nds.

56 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Same. The playoffs will be telltale imo. A good run would make for harder choices.

We've got some depth below the A, but how much of that you'd identify as Top 6 forward depth is suspect.

I think we'll see a lot of RFA's, particularly with arb rights, not qualified.

The biggest question for me is Stone. He's overpaid and would be the popcorn eater when we can re-sign Fantenberg at < half and move Fanta to RD.

Yeah there's a lot of AHL guys that probably won;t get qualified (RFA's with arb).

Lazar, Foo, Rychel, Lomberg.

Healey and Valiev.

Maybe Foo and Rychel?

Lomberg won't but they will sign him.

Have to keep the buyout window possible if they don;t do it right away.

Stone will get traded for peanuts or just bought out.  His salary is a hard thing to trade, and retained salary > the buyout retention would bad.

11 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Mrazek

As a Detroit fan, Mrazek scares me. When he came to the Wings after doing everything possible in Grand Rapids in the A, he looked like our savior in net.

He took over #1 from Howard. Then a funny thing happened. Howard worked harder. The better he got, the more Mrazek fell apart.

He's done better with the Canes, but from me, who once thought he was the cat's meow, the buyer beware signs are popping up like crazy.

Now that his career has shown him the work ethic, will he maintain it, or get complacent again when he gets a nice contract and the keys to the net.

Because Howard didn't just come back and re-take his seat.

He obliterated him right out of the org and Detroit wanted him gone.

His fall from grace was fast and the hot rumours followed as to why.

My guess is after his awesome success in the A and 1st yr pro, he read his press clippings and figured he's a natural.

I sincerely hope he has a great career, just not with us right now.

Rittich might shred him like Howard did.

Too much risk for me having endured some pretty bad goalie moves.

Maybe Lundqvist will see us these playoffs and go, alright, alright, trade me to Calgary for futures, lol.

37 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think you can move Brodie for a 1st, not sure you would get a 1st for Hamonic though. I also think Hamonic is more of glue guy in the dressing room and more of a leader than Brodie.

Trade for a 1st (if you can) or trade him to Minny for Zucker.

We have D pretty much locked for the next few years.

Gio, Ras, Hanifin, Hammer, Valimaki, Kylington, and Fanta.

Trade for things we need.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Trade for a 1st (if you can) or trade him to Minny for Zucker.

We have D pretty much locked for the next few years.

Gio, Ras, Hanifin, Hammer, Valimaki, Kylington, and Fanta.

Trade for things we need.

Imagine Zucker's exit interview, how awkward will that be?

Would you ask to be traded? Will Zucker provide a backlash?

"Send me to a team that actually wants me".

Anyone else see that this might be a lingering effect?

Because he sure didn't take it well at the time.

15 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

As a Detroit fan, Mrazek scares me. When he came to the Wings after doing everything possible in Grand Rapids in the A, he looked like our savior in net.

He took over #1 from Howard. Then a funny thing happened. Howard worked harder. The better he got, the more Mrazek fell apart.

He's done better with the Canes, but from me, who once thought he was the cat's meow, the buyer beware signs are popping up like crazy.

Now that his career has shown him the work ethic, will he maintain it, or get complacent again when he gets a nice contract and the keys to the net.

Because Howard didn't just come back and re-take his seat.

He obliterated him right out of the org and Detroit wanted him gone.

His fall from grace was fast and the hot rumours followed as to why.

My guess is after his awesome success in the A and 1st yr pro, he read his press clippings and figured he's a natural.

I sincerely hope he has a great career, just not with us right now.

Rittich might shred him like Howard did.

Too much risk for me having endured some pretty bad goalie moves.

Maybe Lundqvist will see us these playoffs and go, alright, alright, trade me to Calgary for futures, lol.

You worry and over think most everything. Yes he had some rough season but sometimes a wake up call is all a person needs to get back in the game. He has looked very good with CAR so I wouldn't be afraid to bring him in to go along with Rittich.

6 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

You worry and over think most everything. Yes he had some rough season but sometimes a wake up call is all a person needs to get back in the game. He has looked very good with CAR so I wouldn't be afraid to bring him in to go along with Rittich.

Not always. Sometimes I just think it through. I'm just painting a picture of Mrazek outside of numbers and highlight saves from this year.

The flip side is you get Philly Mrazek. What if that happens? Because it can.

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Not always. Sometimes I just think it through. I'm just painting a picture of Mrazek outside of numbers and highlight saves from this year.

I suspect that this is why Treliving has been slow to move. There is little out there to acquire, and he really cannot afford to gamble with an expensive band-aid solution. Mrazek really looked amazing for a while, but as you stated above, he levelled off significantly. 

15 hours ago, JTech780 said:

For me that 1st comes into play if a number 1 goalie becomes available via trade. I am not sure there is a goalie that will be available so I would just draft the best player available with the pick.

I look around and don't see that top goalie coming in a trade. Is there someone you think would be available ?

14 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Sure it can, anything can happen both ways however fighting trough some adversity can make some people better. Pro athletes like to be challenged or at least they should or they shouldn't be where they are. Two Czech goalies feeding of each other could be a good situation to have on the team, comradery and competition. Smith will be done and I don't see much else out there. Gilles hasn't exactly jumped out at the opportunity, Parsons isn't ready yet. I think we need Mrazek to a certain degree if BT can snag him on a good deal.

If you can get Mrazak to sign another 1 year deal i would have interest. However, I would share the skepticism about giving him any term because as well as he has looked at times this year, he was that bad last year. 

I don't think he is a lead the franchise type of guy. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

If you can get Mrazak to sign another 1 year deal i would have interest. However, I would share the skepticism about giving him any term because as well as he has looked at times this year, he was that bad last year. 

I don't think he is a lead the franchise type of guy. 

I'd be shocked if the Canes don't re-sign him regardless, so it's likely a non-issue.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Mrazek is a UFA, and I a guy I would absolutely target in UFA. Mrazek and Rittich can be the Czech-Mate tandem in net.

If we're doing two Czech goalies, I'd make a move for Neuvirth. coming off a an injury, and semi-rough season in Philly (but much like Edmonton, Flyers goalies tend to do well outside the organization, look at Bob). Shouldn't be a big cost to get him, and at worst, gives us someone to push Gillies/Parsons.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I'd be shocked if the Canes don't re-sign him regardless, so it's likely a non-issue.

TBH, I think that is highly likely.

They found a guy after a bunch of strikes.

Yes McBackup has been their 1a or qb buy, but they have Darling wasting salary.

15 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Nobody really wants to play in Carolina or Columbus do they ? Players that reach UFA are crazy not to hear out other teams and CALGARY represents a very good chance to win a SC over the next 3 seasons. I would have no problem signing Mrazek on a 3 year deal now knowing what we have in Rittich at this level.

34 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Nobody really wants to play in Carolina or Columbus do they ? Players that reach UFA are crazy not to hear out other teams and CALGARY represents a very good chance to win a SC over the next 3 seasons. I would have no problem signing Mrazek on a 3 year deal now knowing what we have in Rittich at this level.

I don't know.  They may not be an ultra competetive team, but players like Hamilton who enjoy the fun side probably love the place.

Not a great place to go to win, but otherwise not bad.

CBJ is something else.  Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.