Cocaine Use In The NHL

Wreckening

TSN is reporting that cocaine use in the NHL is trending up.

It doesn't surprise me really. As far as testing and enforcing such things the NHL is, in my opinion, behind the times when it comes to this. They do check for players using PED's and have rules and repercussions for those using, but, when it comes to recreational drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy and others they don't have anything in place in the CBA to take care of these issues.

Bill Daley seems to be under the impression that it is a small number, perhaps less than 20 players, who are using cocaine. I personally think the number is much greater than that. It's something that needs to be addressed and dealt with sooner rather than later.

TSN is reporting that cocaine use in the NHL is trending up.

It doesn't surprise me really. As far as testing and enforcing such things the NHL is, in my opinion, behind the times when it comes to this. They do check for players using PED's and have rules and repercussions for those using, but, when it comes to recreational drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy and others they don't have anything in place in the CBA to take care of these issues.

Bill Daley seems to be under the impression that it is a small number, perhaps less than 20 players, who are using cocaine. I personally think the number is much greater than that. It's something that needs to be addressed and dealt with sooner rather than later.

How would Daley know?

But then, it was rumoured by people here in Vancouver, that Kipper was on coke.

That's just it, I don't think he has a clue. It's the NHL's spin on the story and them trying to down play it. They're acknowledging there's an issue but they have no clue on just how prevalent it is.

The thing is they do drug testing on all the players and my understanding is 1/3 of those tests go for more rigorous testing looking for things like cocaine and marijuana. The numbers have gone up according to the report.

I'm surprised Daley came out with this story and then didn't name names and or hand out suspensions.  Not only that but he clearly tells everybody that the NHL doesn't test for drug use comprehensively.  Which, leads me to believe the league does want to start testing now and this is a warning shot fired at the players telling them to smarten up.

I'm surprised Daley came out with this story and then didn't name names and or hand out suspensions.  Not only that but he clearly tells everybody that the NHL doesn't test for drug use comprehensively.  Which, leads me to believe the league does want to start testing now and this is a warning shot fired at the players telling them to smarten up.

He doesn't have the authority to name players or suspend unless this a multiple occurance. McKenzie broke this down in relation to Zack Kassien but anyone who has a substance issue and is giong to be placed in Stage 1 of the program will only be named if the player chooses too. Stage 2 is when the player is made public and thats becuase the NHL/PA etc is forcing them into the program.  Plus, i'm not so sure cocaine should fall under an immediate suspension, it should be immediate rehab. Players on it need help not to have their livelihood taking away.

But I do agree with what your saying, the NHL wants more testing and more ability to handle players and suspsects the PA will fight them at every corner so this is an early battle cry sort to speak. Remember it was Donald Fehr in baseball who fought ANY type of drug testing even though steroids were a rampant problem in MLB.

Possession and sales of non-pharmaceutical drugs are illegal, but being high is not.

Of course to get high, you have to, at some point in time, be in possession of a drug.

That's not quite accurate.  If you are driving, then you are breaking the law.  If you injure or kill someone while working high, you could be found criminally responsible.

True, but you would be charged with impaired driving or criminal endangerment.

There is no charge in the criminal code for just being high.

No, but neither is there a charge for being drunk.  Intoxicated in public would cover both drunk or stoned I believe, but not sure that they would charge someone unless drunk.

Coke use is a lot more prevalent in everyday life than most people think, so to hear the amount of NHL players using is increasing is not at all surprising.

Rick Westhead of TSN made an interesting note, that when a player buys drugs, that dealer now owns a little bit of that player as he knows something about that player that the player wouldn't want being known. So it isn't to far of a stretch for the dealer to extort the player for money, or have the player take part in point shaving or throwing of guys for the purposes of illegal gambling. That's where the real threat for the NHL is, because it calls the integrity of the game into question.

Archived