Adidas wins jersey contract

Kulstad

Starting in 2017/18, Adidas will start producing team jerseys for NHL teams instead of Reebok.  There is speculation that this will start the era of corporate sponsorship logos on team jerseys as well, with estimates up to $120M in revenue generated with the additional advertising on the jerserys,

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/adidas-lands-nhl-jersey-deal-1.346839

I'm with you on this one, Heartbreaker.  Every time I see the European soccer jerserys, I cringe and think "sellout" and "obtrusively obstructive"  I don't think I could buy a jersey with corporate logos splashed across it..........kinda takes away from the "tradition" of it.

I think it depends on the level of advertising. I don't mind European soccer jerseys so if the ads were small and well positioned I can tolerate that. I won't love it, but i could tolerate it for the revenue but I agree if they are planning to go the way of European hockey then aboslutely not. whenever I watch European hockey i get distracted by the ads and you can barely even tell who the player is. That's a sell out IMO but if they want to put 2-3 small adds on certain places on the jersey I could stomach that, but my preference would be to see no ads at all.

EDIT - CFL is another good example of adds on the jersey I am ok with. They only have 1 or 2 and they are small and well placed that you barely notice. That I am fine with, but i'm not fine with massive ads all over the place.

As others said the NHL & NHLPA will go for the $s. It will help capped out teams.

We'll have to learn to live with it like we do with rule changes we don't like.

If they are small & don't dominate the jersey it won't be too bad.

In some Euro leagues they have more advertising than race cars & that's distracting.

crop_18352214131.jpg

Here is an example of something I could live with. Ads are small, well placed and almost fell like they are part of the jersey to the point you hardly even notice them. Not sure that's enough to ask for over 100 million, but that level of ads i'm comfortable with.

^^^

Something like that I could live with.

But unless it's a player who's sweater I really want I'll stick with my retro 1s.

I've got t-shirts, beer & coffee mugs, backpacks, coolers, etc.  that have beer or car logos on them but they were freebies as I'm advertising on their behalf by simply wearing/carrying it.

Offer the sweater with or without logos & give a discount if you accept the advertising for  purists. Some might simply avoid the jersey because they don't like a particular brand.

^^^

I'm scared of the P Kane & Voynov 1s.

It'll be funny if Buffalo asks Evander Kane to keep an eye on RoR to keep him out of trouble. The poster boy for bad press watching over white bread Lady Byng player.

I'm still POed about the truck though. If he hit Timmy's with a cookie cutter car I wouldn't care but that rollover in American Graffeti still brings a tear to my eye. Give him a 10 game suspention (longer if it takes more to restore the truck) & he forfeits the truck to a caring home. I'm sure that a few of us would be willing to adopt it & give it the TLC it deserves. Do it via a weighted draw where the closer to Winnipeg the poster lives the better his odds. ;)

^^^^

Carty, you enjoy the photoshop thing. How about selecting a jersey & player on that team & filling it with Euro style # of ads. We can try to guess team & player as the Euro ads dominate to the extent you can't see the team logo.

Since there are lots of red sweaters that as a base might be most challenging. Kind of a twist on DD's "Who Dat?" game. :)

NHL jerseys are uniforms, not advertising canvases. I would be disgusted to see ads all over the jerseys, as others have mentioned it's hard to even get through a Euro hockey game as the jerseys are such eyesores, that you can't even tell who you're watching with the puck, let alone what team you're watching.

Archived