Mark Giordano Wants $9mil

Flames22

Wideman may not be the best defensive player on the planet but he certainly has an offensive gift for shooting and finding an opening to the net instead of hitting someone's pads or skates on the way. But you can't compare Wideman ad Gio overall. I didn't used to like Gio's game much and then a few years ago he started hitting and playing tougher, and developed great confidence offensively. My concern with him is strictly age. He's a very fine player.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there is alot of this forum getting really worked up over a "rumor". Remember the reports that came out after the Flames acquiried Hamilton about how he was wanting 7 mill etc and eveyrone figured the Flames would be lucky to get him for 6 or 6.5?

I think prices, both in trade and signings, that get reported this early by the media are about 90% of the time high. Neogiations always start high and come down. obviously i want to keep gio and I thikn there is a reasonable deal to be had that doesn't mean 7 yeras or 9 mill per season. i think Burke and Treliving are smarter than that.

Basic negotiation tactics too. Player/Agent starts high, team starts low. And they each give a bit at a time, or throw in an extra incentive to get it closer to their way, until a deal is reached (and if one/neither budge, than no deal gets reached). Gio has stated he wants to retire a Flame, and I doubt they push him away with how he has helped shape this teams new identity. At the same time, he has had a couple of great years (minus the injuries) and still seems to be trending upward. I could see him taking a shorter term high money contract so he can get his money now and then take a lower amount as he gets older but the team starts needing more cap for their young guys coming off ELC.

I was under the impression that an 8 year contract is the max any team can do and that is only if the player is already signed with the team. .7 years if they are signed with another team.  Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

You are right, that's my bad. It slipped my mind. I tried to cheat the system and I got burned hard :lol:

Yeah it s crazy  money but they also won 3 cups. Each one of them won the Conn Smythe for MVP of playoffs. When players accomplish stuff like this, they get paid for it and teams will pay them to stay.  Subban, Parise, and Suter make similar money and haven't done crap in comparison. Not even Crosby and Malkin can touch what they ve done and look at the money they make.

Not to mention $10 mil per season will probably be average for superstar players 5 yrs down the road and many of them wont have done as much as Kane or Toews.

Going to throw my hat in with Flame111 and say that the idea that the cap will continue to rise in perpetuity for no apparent reason is unlikely at best and full-on delusional at worst. The NHL has already signed a deal with Rogers long-term, they've got a fairly long-term US TV deal. Where else is the big money going to come from? There's only so much that teams can do to earn more money in their arenas.

I think the cap will be leveling off for at least the duration of the NBC contract. And that causes problems when negotiating big money contracts.

Holtby was asking for 8million and settled for 6mil over 5 years - yes, I know he's a goalie, but I use this as an example of playing the game - setting the bar high to meet somewhere in the middle. Additionally, giordano is older, and would like to cash in on this contract. Now, perhaps there's a more cap-friendly meeting ground if the flames offer Gio a similar structure to oreilly's contract in buffalo. Pay more up front in a lump sum like a "signing bonus" every year, and lower the aav of the contract... Could be one way to serve both sides, though I'm confident Gio's contract won't handcuff the team when it's all said and done - we've got a good gm and a captain that wants to win on the ice just as much as what he deserves in his pocketbook.

Hello all. If the player wants 9 and the team wants to pay him 7, you can imagine meeting in the middle with a slight edge to the player for past service and what he means (and has meant - captain, etc...) to this team. Given his age, values of the recent signings of other players, and the fact that his better years have been when he is older I could see a potential meeting at $41 million over 5 years or $50 million over 6 years. I may be ok with 7 years at just over $50 million. Shorter term deals would be closer to 9 million per year. I'm sure Gio would love $72 million over 8 years and retire at 40. Who wouldn't? Yet it is not prudent for a business to absorb that risk for an ageing asset. Obviously, he is one of the better defensemen in the league at this time, but hasn't won anything yet (meaning a cup or a norris trophy).

Hopefully once these arb cases are over this Giordano situation gets answered. I say he falls in somewhere between 6.5 and 7.5M if he wants more then trade him some where during the next season.

Hopefully this signing and moving out a couple of pieces takes place sooner than later.

Personally I'd like to see 7 years, $6.25AAV OR $43.25mm total. That would give Giordano his payday, keep him till 39 (he wants to play till 40), and the AAV would help the team assemble the pieces for multiple Cups(hoping...)....

Hopefully this signing and moving out a couple of pieces takes place sooner than later.

Personally I'd like to see 7 years, $6.25AAV OR $43.25mm total. That would give Giordano his payday, keep him till 39 (he wants to play till 40), and the AAV would help the team assemble the pieces for multiple Cups(hoping...)....

There is security within longer term deals so what you are suggesting is perfectly fine with me.

I would be ecstatic if we could get him signed to this deal, not only is it a great cap hit but it sets a precedent for the rest of the team... As no one should be payed more then Gio, at least not yet. If everyone demands top dollar, its going to be very hard to keep this group together long enough to win a cup. 

Gio is kind of special case considering his career didnt take off till he was a little older so I can understand why he would want to cash in, but he seriously needs to weigh that against how much he wants to hoist lord Stanley's cup.

I wouldnt be suprised if we see something like this because you can pay him upwards of 8 million the first couple years, something like 8,8,7,6,6,5.  I know the numbers arent exactly 6.25aav, but that is the general idea that would get him his raise and not put us in cap jail.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived