Farewell Max Reinhart and good luck!

I was hoping Max Reinhart would blossom last year but with guys moving ahead of him like Fear-land, Porrier, Shore, etc. I think it is time for the Flames (Heat) to trade him to another organization where he can get a fresh start. Who knows, maybe with the right coach or line-mates Max could become a good third or fourth liner? Either way, he is going nowhere here and like Sven we need to free him and give his dreams a chance to materialize.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trade him?

From what I understand, his contract expires at the end of the season and if the Flames don't qualify him, then he's free to go anywhere he wants.  I think the Flames should just release him.

Bad asset management, IMHO.  Qualify him and trade him at the least. 

Reinhart was okay last season. But he had a large regression which is really troubling. The Flames should be able to determine if there was a fixable reason for that regression. If so, sign him to a 1 year deal. If not let him walk. You a tree not getting anything for him in trade.

Bad asset management, IMHO.  Qualify him and trade him at the least. 

Reinhart was okay last season. But he had a large regression which is really troubling. The Flames should be able to determine if there was a fixable reason for that regression. If so, sign him to a 1 year deal. If not let him walk. You a tree not getting anything for him in trade.

He took a step backwards last season and couldn't earn a call-up all season.  He was bypassed by players like Wolf, Ferland, Baertschi, Granlund, Shore, etc.  I expect him to be bypassed next season by Klimchuk, Arnold, and maybe Jankowski as well.  He's a C/LW where the Flames are totally stacked with talent and have no room for him to make the big club.  He's simply not on the radar to make any difference to the Flames long term and has little to no trade value.  We basically just ruin his career by hanging onto him.  Just let him go.

If he flourishes somewhere else, then good for him.  It's just not going to work out here.

He took a step backwards last season and couldn't earn a call-up all season.  He was bypassed by players like Wolf, Ferland, Baertschi, Granlund, Shore, etc.  I expect him to be bypassed next season by Klimchuk, Arnold, and maybe Jankowski as well.  He's a C/LW where the Flames are totally stacked with talent and have no room for him to make the big club.  He's simply not on the radar to make any difference to the Flames long term and has little to no trade value.  We basically just ruin his career by hanging onto him.  Just let him go.

If he flourishes somewhere else, then good for him.  It's just not going to work out here.

Max did what we asked him to do, but he wasn't able to continue on his growth.  Maybe that is on the coach for his usage or maybe Max just doesn't have it in him.  Not all picks work out, but we should try to get value if possible.  Letting him walk makes it unlikely he gets much of a chance anywhere else.  Sign him, get his value up and trade him.  At worst, he is a career AHL player.  At best, he needs a new place to play.

Trade him?

From what I understand, his contract expires at the end of the season and if the Flames don't qualify him, then he's free to go anywhere he wants.  I think the Flames should just release him.

A qualified Reinhart (currently 0.618 NHL, 0.0675 AHL) is a usable asset as a toss in for a trade. Just the name would generate interest from the Isles or Sabres. Even as a stand alone trade a late pick > 0.

Unqualified = 0 return.

As dude mentioned it's bad asset management (especially coming from the same that want to trade Wideman just in case he might regress :o ). Heck, we don't even have to sign him because once qualified we own those tradable RFA rights).

A qualified Reinhart (currently 0.618 NHL, 0.0675 AHL) is a usable asset as a toss in for a trade. Just the name would generate interest from the Isles or Sabres. Even as a stand alone trade a late pick > 0.

Unqualified = 0 return.

As dude mentioned it's bad asset management (especially coming from the same that want to trade Wideman just in case he might regress :o ). Heck, we don't even have to sign him because once qualified we own those tradable RFA rights). 

It's not bad asset management.  It's proper asset evaluation.

We could sign Reinhart and try to trade him.  Or, we could free up one contract and use it to sign a US College free agent who has higher upside than Reinhart and further along the development curve.  That roster spot on the Heat can also be used to develop a prospect the current Flames regime are high on.

It's not bad asset management.  It's proper asset evaluation.

We could sign Reinhart and try to trade him.  Or, we could free up one contract and use it to sign a US College free agent who has higher upside than Reinhart and further along the development curve.  That roster spot on the Heat can also be used to develop a prospect the current Flames regime are high on.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but Reinhart doesn't count against the 50 man roster until he signs the contract. But, just by making the offer we control his rights. (Like Burmistrov of the Jets).

Qualified we can trade those rights. Unqualified those rights cease to exist.

Getting a 5th rounder for his rights while gambling an AHL hit > 0.

I agree you don't likely get anything for him. Trans are going to know you are just likely to walk away and no resign so why are they going to offer an asset for s player they know is going to free agency anyway? If Reinhart gets traded it's for another contract and likely for a player the team doesn't see as a future piece for them either. So maybe you pick up some AHL depth but I would prefer the roster spot.

Sometimes you have to do right by the player and let him try elsewhere and yes it nay mean your organization gets zip but that happens and you need to do it to have a quality organization IMO. Of course if in wrong and you can get something in trade then do it I just don't think you will.

I believe we are going to be getting close to a glut of AHL talent if we don't begin unloading some of the youngsters who have had trouble graduating to the Show. Too good for the ECHL, not quite a good fit for the Flames. I think Tree and Conroy will move some pieces there to make room for new guys like Carroll, Smith, Klimchuk, Morrison, Kanzig, and Rafikov.

I believe we are going to be getting close to a glut of AHL talent if we don't begin unloading some of the youngsters who have had trouble graduating to the Show. Too good for the ECHL, not quite a good fit for the Flames. I think Tree and Conroy will move some pieces there to make room for new guys like Carroll, Smith, Klimchuk, Morrison, Kanzig, and Rafikov.

Reinhart is still only 23.  To be sure he regressed this year.  That said, he was 3rd in scoring on the team.  Does he make a glut of AHL players?  Players like Cundari, Vause, Acolatse, Yonkman, Potter, Setoguchi, T.Gillies, BVB are glut players.

I agree that trading him to a team that will find room for him makes sense, if he doesn't fit the Flames system.  Losing him for nothing makes no sense.  We spent time and money developing him, and offers vet experience on the baby Flames (Heat).  The guys coming in are not centers, so he isn't blocking an AHL spot.

Reinhart is still only 23.  To be sure he regressed this year.  That said, he was 3rd in scoring on the team.  Does he make a glut of AHL players?  Players like Cundari, Vause, Acolatse, Yonkman, Potter, Setoguchi, T.Gillies, BVB are glut players.

I agree that trading him to a team that will find room for him makes sense, if he doesn't fit the Flames system.  Losing him for nothing makes no sense.  We spent time and money developing him, and offers vet experience on the baby Flames (Heat).  The guys coming in are not centers, so he isn't blocking an AHL spot.

But to be fair to him, there is no room at centre in Calgary. I think we have to be fair to the players. Their dream isn't a career playing centre for the Flames' farm team. He doesn't appear to be able to crack the line-up. Shuffle the deck. Maybe we will get a guy back who fits nicely into the mix we have, and maybe Max will find himself in a position with another team where his skill-set is more appreciated and his improvement will continue with a new coach and line-mates.

But to be fair to him, there is no room at centre in Calgary. I think we have to be fair to the players. Their dream isn't a career playing centre for the Flames' farm team. He doesn't appear to be able to crack the line-up. Shuffle the deck. Maybe we will get a guy back who fits nicely into the mix we have, and maybe Max will find himself in a position with another team where his skill-set is more appreciated and his improvement will continue with a new coach and line-mates.

My point is that letting him walk does no good for him.  It shows the lack of value his drafting team places on him.  A team may sign him, but there are tons of players that would be seen as a better risk than signing a guy not qualified and not an NHL'er at this point.

Signing him shows some faith in him.  He may or may not ever make it as a NHL player.  And to say there is no room at center is a short-sighted view.  We have 3 proven NHL centers right now, and a lot of players listed as center playing other positions.  That does not mean they are capable of being an NHL center.  

My point is that letting him walk does no good for him.  It shows the lack of value his drafting team places on him. 

So hanging onto him suddenly proves he has trade value when otherwise, he wouldn't?  Don't be silly. Prospects are not qualified by one GM and picked up by another GM all the time whereas they wouldn't want to do a trade.  The Sabres or Islanders may be interested in uniting him with one of his brothers for free but just not interested in a trade.

Anyways, my point is, he's been passed by other prospects.  He's not trending in the right direction.  Let's not waste anymore time on him.  Sometimes, cutting your losses early is the best financial decision you can make.

So hanging onto him suddenly proves he has trade value when otherwise, he wouldn't?  Don't be silly. Prospects are not qualified by one GM and picked up by another GM all the time whereas they wouldn't want to do a trade.  The Sabres or Islanders may be interested in uniting him with one of his brothers for free but just not interested in a trade.

Anyways, my point is, he's been passed by other prospects.  He's not trending in the right direction.  Let's not waste anymore time on him.  Sometimes, cutting your losses early is the best financial decision you can make.

He trended downward for one season.  He still managed to be top 3 in baby Flames scoring.  This isn't like Roy stagnating in junior, it's a pro having one bad year after a record setting one.

By himself, he has small trade value, but as part of another trade, he has some.

If the Flames still have hope he is a good prospect that either has NHL upside or helps the baby Flames then sure, keep him.  But holding onto a player just to trade him, especially one with almost no value, isn't the right move IMO. 

Right now I see the baby Flames forwards roughly

Wolf - Granlund - Poirier

Klimchuk - Arnold - Hathaway

Agostino - Reinhart - Hanowski

Carroll - Van Brabant - OPEN

There is a chance that Smith makes gets a pro contract.  Jooris, Ferland, and Shore could also find themselves moved down (though Shore is waiver eligible).  But if the Flames see value in Reinhart they have room for him.  

If the Flames still have hope he is a good prospect that either has NHL upside or helps the baby Flames then sure, keep him.  But holding onto a player just to trade him, especially one with almost no value, isn't the right move IMO. 

There is a chance that Smith makes gets a pro contract.  Jooris, Ferland, and Shore could also find themselves moved down (though Shore is waiver eligible).  But if the Flames see value in Reinhart they have room for him.  

I think Carroll plays mostly RW.  Smith is getting too old to play in junior so he is likely bound for Stockton.  Jooris is subject to waivers this season.  I do think they let Hanowski walk, since he really doesn't have anything going for him.  The difference between him and Reinhart is that Rhino can play multiple positions and is pretty good on the PK.  I also see BVB going, since he never caught on enough to get a callup.  Maybe they get signed to an AHL deal (Hano & BVB).

Maybe a Deal with the Islanders for Robbie Russo can be done (Whoever will not be signed Reinhard or Hanowski)....

NYI would get a 5th rounder in in 2016 in compensation, if they let him go to FA in August.  Negotiating rights could bet traded to a team.

I would want any trade to be conditional, though, because if he didn't sign they get that pick anyways.

I think Carroll plays mostly RW. Smith is getting too old to play in junior so he is likely bound for Stockton. Jooris is subject to waivers this season. I do think they let Hanowski walk, since he really doesn't have anything going for him. The difference between him and Reinhart is that Rhino can play multiple positions and is pretty good on the PK. I also see BVB going, since he never caught on enough to get a callup. Maybe they get signed to an AHL deal (Hano & BVB).

I just out Carroll on the wrong side. It's possible Hanowski, Reinhart, VBB etc aren't retained. Time will tell. Pretty sure Smith can go back as an overager.

I just out Carroll on the wrong side. It's possible Hanowski, Reinhart, VBB etc aren't retained. Time will tell. Pretty sure Smith can go back as an overager.

I was watching Smith play in the Memorial, and thought there is no way he goes back to junior.  Him and Kanzig are too big to play against kids, since it does nothing to develop them as a potential NHL'ers. 

I was watching Smith play in the Memorial, and thought there is no way he goes back to junior. Him and Kanzig are too big to play against kids, since it does nothing to develop them as a potential NHL'ers.

Smith is a late bloomer. He is still a bit of a project and could benefit from another year in the CHL. Plus the Flames can save a year on the ELC. Sure he has the size to make the transition. But that is just one part.

I am not saying he won't or shouldn't go pro. But it wouldn't surprise me if he spends another season in the CHL.

What about Jankowski?  There's a chance we sign him this summer.

Archived