2015 Offseason Game Plan: UFA's

JTech780

UFA  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which UFA's should be re-signed? (Choose all that apply)

• David Schlemko
    • Corey Potter
    • Raphael Diaz
    • Karri Ramo
    • Brian McGrattan
    • Devin Setoguchi
    • Mark Cundari
    • Brad Thiessen

Which of Calgary's UFA's would you bring back?

Schlemko is a guy I would bring back in a depth role, but it depends on the health status of a Smid.

I am on the fence with Ramo, I like the depth that he brings, but there is a ripple effect to the roster that I am not a fan of. If Ramo is on the roster then that probably means that Ortio isn't, which means that Ortio and Gillies will have to share the net in Stockton next season which is less than ideal.

I would let Potter, Diaz, McGrattan, Setoguchi, Cundari and Thiessen walk.

So much of who we keep on this list will depend on what we can do with our other players.

I'd keep Ramo if we can trade Hiller.  But we probably can't so, i guess Ramo is out.

I'd keep Cundari and Schlemko if Smid cannot come back from back injury. aka retired.

I would probably keep Thiessen for the AHL and run with a Gillies/Thiessen duo.

So i guess definitely gone on my list are McGratton, Setoguchi, Potter, and Diaz.

i believe it comes down to who Hartley says which goalie to keep.. i personally say Ramo.. you can always move a goalie, may not like the return , but Hiller can be moved. Absolute worst case, from the business side of things you can always toss him on waivers and send him down .. but i dont believe he clears.

I think they should sign Ramo and Schlemko. The others are time to move on players. Diaz had an OK season, but feel it doesn't make sense to sign him and Schlemko. One or the other, but Schlemko has more upside and is a heavier player.

Ramo presents a problem. He is one of the reasons we made the playoffs, and had we started with him, may have had a different result against Anaheim. But signing him clogs up the farm a bit, unless we choose to trade Hiller in the offseason. The only plus to having 3 signed goalies is having a trade chip.

Saying that, I see the following for the next 3-4 years:

Ramo - has not peaked yet, could still get better and have 3-5 more years left

Ortio - we haven't seen him play many NHL games, but he is progressing towards at least an NHL backup

Gillies - hasn't played a single pro game yet, but his ceiling is likely an NHL starting goalie

Hiller - may have only a few good seasons left; is becoming too set in the crease for my liking

I'd keep Ramo. Hiller is UFA after next season while Ortio has 1 year left before RFA so can stay in the AHL 1 more year. Depending on where the Flames are come trade deadline Hiller/Ramo is a safer duo to lift us to playoffs. If not looking good teams do pick up rental goalies for the playoffs (St. L tends to do this) so Ramo/Ortio mop up.

Unless Schlemko wants a lot more that last year's 1.275 true $s (1.187 cap hit) he's good depth.

Let the rest walk.

i believe it comes down to who Hartley says which goalie to keep.. i personally say Ramo.. you can always move a goalie, may not like the return , but Hiller can be moved. Absolute worst case, from the business side of things you can always toss him on waivers and send him down .. but i dont believe he clears.

We signed him as a free agent, so I don't see a problem of moving him for less. Even losing him to waivers doesn't hurt. But anything in a trade is like bonus since we signed him as an UFA. 

On another note, I said sign Diaz because he's an okay depth guy who doesn't mind sitting and played good enough when he had to. If we upgrade on D then I'd say just Schlemko. 

Upgrade, plus Schlemko equals a better D. 

I think that Wideman is just happy when he's playing in a good pair. Russell made his year. 

FF52, 

I thought that Ortio is waiver eligible next season though?

Schlemko is a good depth D and has some shootout use. Diaz doesn't have that x-factor.

I voted Thiessen on the condition that Ramo isn't signed because I thought he was a good AHL backup.

McG needs to stay with us on staff. I think it'd be good for both sides.

FF52, 

I thought that Ortio is waiver eligible next season though?

Not sure as he's only got 15 NHL games spread over 2 years. If he is & he starts in the minors I don't think that matters unless we need him as an injury replacement.

Not sure as he's only got 15 NHL games spread over 2 years. If he is & he starts in the minors I don't think that matters unless we need him as an injury replacement.

Deeds quoted a part of the CBA which said that up to a certain point before the season starts, they can assign a player without being subject to waivers. Twelve days, I believe.

I'd sign Ramo and Schlemko.  Then, I'd listen for offers on both Ramo and Hiller over the summer, especially at the draft.  I wouldn't be a motiviated seller until training camp, but I'd move one of them if I got the right offer.  Neither goalie is the answer in terms of going deep in the playoffs, but I'd keep the one that doesn't get a great return.

I'd prefer to keep both Hiller and Ramo and have Ortio play another season in the AHL, but I don't think it's in the cards.  I imagine the plan is to have Hiller+Ortio or Ramp+Ortio in Calgary and have Gillies start in the AHL.    

As much as I hate making deals with the enemy, it wouldn't surprise me if the Oilers come sniffing around our goalies over the summer. 

I'd sign Ramo and Schlemko.  Then, I'd listen for offers on both Ramo and Hiller over the summer, especially at the draft.  I wouldn't be a motiviated seller until training camp, but I'd move one of them if I got the right offer.  Neither goalie is the answer in terms of going deep in the playoffs, but I'd keep the one that doesn't get a great return.

I'd prefer to keep both Hiller and Ramo and have Ortio play another season in the AHL, but I don't think it's in the cards.  I imagine the plan is to have Hiller+Ortio or Ramp+Ortio in Calgary and have Gillies start in the AHL.    

As much as I hate making deals with the enemy, it wouldn't surprise me if the Oilers come sniffing around our goalies over the summer. 

I am curious which of our goalies the posters on our forums would be willing to let go to the Oilers.

My take:

Can't be Hiller. He is a major reason we made playoffs. Big upgrade from last year.

Ramo maybe. If he really wants to be the only one considered #1. Not sure Oilers would give up a lot for him though.

Ortio. No can't be as we have put so much into his development. Would have to be a huge overpayment in my mind.

Gilles. i'd be really pissed. I still think he is our goalie of the future. Highest potential in my mind.

I am curious which of our goalies the posters on our forums would be willing to let go to the Oilers.

My take:

Can't be Hiller. He is a major reason we made playoffs. Big upgrade from last year.

Ramo maybe. If he really wants to be the only one considered #1. Not sure Oilers would give up a lot for him though.

Ortio. No can't be as we have put so much into his development. Would have to be a huge overpayment in my mind.

Gilles. i'd be really pissed. I still think he is our goalie of the future. Highest potential in my mind.

Only reason they would look at Ramo is due to his UFA status. I would sign him to spite the Oilers.

Besides, they have Brossoit, who they believe is the goalie of the future. He hasn't got many playoff games though, losing the net to Bachman.

The only ones I have interest in are Schlemko and Ramo the rest can walk unless someone like Diaz wants a two way deal that will find him in the AHL for most of the season which I think is unlikely. Schlemko I'm willing to give a one year deal for low money, less than a mill, for some depth and see if he can crack a team and stay healthy. If he can't it's low risk and I think he is solid as a depth 7th dman.

Ramo it comes down to can you move Hiller or not. Personally in not a fan of brining both back because I think it's time to develop and see what you have in Ortio. The positive with both Ramo and hiller is if Ortio isn't by good both can handle 60-65 games as a true starter, IMO, and Ortio can have his work load lessened. I would give it till the draft plus a week to see if I could get anything for hiller but honestly I'm not sure you will. I don't see teams giving up much for a pending UFA next year, had a good but not great season, faltered in the playoffs and isn't exactly cheap. So as much as I think Ramo is the better goalie contract wise they may end up with hiller.

Archived