Potential RWs.

AlbertaBoy12

I would almost rather offer sheet some RFA Rw, the ones that will be available shouldnt cost us that much. Which at the end of the day means maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick as compensation, we have picks to spare. It really depends, but at this point in the rebuild getting a RFA RW whos still 23 or 24, that can step in for a couple picks is not a bad thing.

I don't think BB is very fond of offer sheets and what they do for relations with other clubs.(re KLowe and Oilers/Ducks) Even Feaster only chanced the one offer sheet re RoR.

I would almost rather offer sheet some RFA Rw, the ones that will be available shouldnt cost us that much. Which at the end of the day means maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick as compensation, we have picks to spare. It really depends, but at this point in the rebuild getting a RFA RW whos still 23 or 24, that can step in for a couple picks is not a bad thing.

I think this is a good plan. We have hudler for top line RW but we don't have anyone ready for 2nd line duties. We have 3 second round picks this year. We can ship one off on an offersheet and overpay some guy 3.5 mil for 2 years or so (depending on years left, team from, etc).

ie good players playing 3rd line on good teams because of depth but on CGY would be a solid 2nd line player. Players that those teams wont be able to afford to pay 3.5M to.

While I do like Justin Williams, he also really scares me. 33 years old who looked to me like he lost a step this year. I know he is just coming off the playoffs where he played very well, but I'm very weary of a long term deal for a 33 year old player who really at any point could lose effectiveness and become a bloated contract. I think young team make this mistake too much when they have success with a young core and then rush out to sign veteran players that are suppose to anchor the team but instead they end up as anchors because they are past their prime and expensive. I think in order for the Flames to stick with their game and team play they can't sacrifice team speed and that's what worries me with Williams. I don't think he is a good fit for what the Flames are trying to do right now.

I was really disappointed with Joe Colborne in the final two games of the playoffs. If he's going to return next season, then he can't be trusted in a top 6 role.

Hu? The first playoffs, first experience, the need to match the physicality of the Ducks. And you are talking about cannot be trusted? A bit quick for my taste.

I was really disappointed with Joe Colborne in the final two games of the playoffs.  If he's going to return next season, then he can't be trusted in a top 6 role.

what 2 games?

Come on they are young and will make mistakes.   I think Colbourne felt so bad about game 4 that he tried too hard in game 5.

Form the OP are we talking about Hayes from NYR?  Thought his name was Kevin not Jimmy?  Do you really think NYR will let him go after that decent season?   If it is Jimmy from the Panthers then I don't see him as an upgrade on Jones

I was really disappointed with Joe Colborne in the final two games of the playoffs. If he's going to return next season, then he can't be trusted in a top 6 role.

I was actually super impressed he actually started to take the body.we can teach him to do it smarter, but up til now my biggest complaint of him was for a guy that isnt a high scorer he wouldn't use his size..i like the fact he finally learned to start hitting

It depends on what we want to do with Colborne and Jones.

I like Jones RHS. Plus, he's a natural RW.  But obviously, at $4-mil-per, he's not cutting it.  Plus he's injury prone.

Colborne is on the RW only cause that's the only roster spot open.  He's not a consistent scorer but he appears to be learning how to use his big body effectively.  If he can continue with that, then i think there's hope for him to turn into something decent.  Still, i think he's more fitted to play Center or LW instead of RW but those positions are stacked.

That said, Chris Stewart is a marginal upgrade at best. 

Hayes is interesting but i'm not sure he's an upgrade over Jones or Colborne.

Silverberg looks like he's got potential but is stuffed into a lesser role in Anaheim.

Maybe Phil Kessel is the only RHS RW who is reasonably available.

With Poirier most likely starting the season full time with the Flames AND with Hathaway signed from college and likely playing at some point next season, it looks as though our RW is full.

Do we really want Hartley to quit? If the answer is Yes, get Kessel. He's everything Flames' hockey is not. If there was ever someone who would not fit in, he's it.

I honestly don't get why we would give up on a Colbourne, Jooris, or Porrier; and get rid of a Jones unless we can get a STAR forward. Our guys in a year or two could be twice as good as now. Look at Colbourne's progress. Porrier has star potential. Jooris will out-work and out-skate anyone in the league. And by star, I don't mean that lazy so-and-so from the Leafs. We have a culture here!

im not suggesting we give up on those players, but having depth at RW is something we lack. Colborne is a natural centre and theres no gurantee  poirier will be NHL ready next year. Having depth and competition at RW is not a bad thing.

Also Kessell is not  someone we want.

Do we really want Hartley to quit? If the answer is Yes, get Kessel. He's everything Flames' hockey is not. If there was ever someone who would not fit in, he's it.

I honestly don't get why we would give up on a Colbourne, Jooris, or Porrier; and get rid of a Jones unless we can get a STAR forward. Our guys in a year or two could be twice as good as now. Look at Colbourne's progress. Porrier has star potential. Jooris will out-work and out-skate anyone in the league. And by star, I don't mean that lazy so-and-so from the Leafs. We have a culture here!

I'm gathering that you don't like Kessel. :o

Depending on the deal we could maybe get him to play against the way he's typecast. :lol: Like they do in movies & wrestling.

About the only way I'd want Kessel on the Flames roster is if we traded scraps (cough Raymond cough)for him & that 4th OA  if Flames management was prepared to buy Kessel out. 8.0 x 4 for a lazy winger that plays on his own terms because he's obviously more important than the team.

Or instead of buying him out we could retain 2-3 million a year & trade him for a decent pick.

Either way he's only a Flame in the paperwork. He needn't pack or expect to be greeted @ the airport. :)

I don't think BB is very fond of offer sheets and what they do for relations with other clubs.(re KLowe and Oilers/Ducks) Even Feaster only chanced the one offer sheet re RoR.

He is fine with offer sheets. What he doesn't like is overpaying a player via an offer sheet because he thinks that inflates RFA values across the league.

I really like Joel Armia! He is big RHS RW. He is from Finland and I've seen him play and his hands are so good! 
I think he would fit in our lineup so well! What you think? Would it be hard to get him from Winnipeg? 

I really like Joel Armia! He is big RHS RW. He is from Finland and I've seen him play and his hands are so good! 

I think he would fit in our lineup so well! What you think? Would it be hard to get him from Winnipeg? 

Probably. he was a key piece in the Kane trade so can't imagine Winnipeg is going to want to let him go for cheap, nor do I think they let him go unless you give them a piece that can help them right now. Only person in the Flames lineup who realistically could be available and may fit in Winnipeg is Hudler but I would want more then just Armia coming in return.

Could have had Armia instead of Baertschi in the draft but that's an argument for another day...

Probably. he was a key piece in the Kane trade so can't imagine Winnipeg is going to want to let him go for cheap, nor do I think they let him go unless you give them a piece that can help them right now. Only person in the Flames lineup who realistically could be available and may fit in Winnipeg is Hudler but I would want more then just Armia coming in return.

Could have had Armia instead of Baertschi in the draft but that's an argument for another day...

True enough. In Chevy's pressers out here he seemed pretty high on both Armia & Lemieux. He won't be giving either away.

Archived