MTL Acquires Smith-Pelly from ANA

Kulstad

Wow, i'm a Smith-Pelly fan.  Wish we could've traded Glencross for him.  He would've given us a RHS RW Lance Bouma and added so much truculence.

You cannot be equating Glencross and Sekac as assets are you?

The Ducks got a 22 yr old rookie with potential to work with.

Glencross is a 32 yr old pending UFA.

You cannot be equating Glencross and Sekac as assets are you?

The Ducks got a 22 yr old rookie with potential to work with.

Glencross is a 32 yr old pending UFA.

Glencross gives you what you need now if what you need now is veteran experience, grit, secondary scoring, and special teams help. 

Sekac gives you what you need in a few years.

A lot of teams make those kind of deals for a run at the Cup.

Glencross gives you what you need now if what you need now is veteran experience, grit, secondary scoring, and special teams help.

Sekac gives you what you need in a few years.

A lot of teams make those kind of deals for a run at the Cup.

That's not what the Ducks need at all.. they have leadership and grit galore... they needed a boost in skill.

Sekac is a future piece, yes... but he's also expected to chew up 12-13 mins and add a little creativity now. They have a tonne of size and grit already... its what made S-P expendable.

Glencross is of no use now or in the future for the Ducks... he's redundant with zero upside.

That's not what the Ducks need at all.. they have leadership and grit galore... they needed a boost in skill.

Sekac is a future piece, yes... but he's also expected to chew up 12-13 mins and add a little creativity now. They have a tonne of size and grit already... its what made S-P expendable.

Glencross is of no use now or in the future for the Ducks... he's redundant with zero upside.

They didn't trade SP because he is redundant.  He was traded because he couldn't score and the Ducks are in a scoring slump in a huge way.  Glencross gives the Ducks more scoring while not losing the grit side of the game.  Sekac gives you scoring in the future without the rough stuff.  I think Glencross plays Duck's style moreso than Sekac.  Glencross is a better fit.

They didn't trade SP because he is redundant. He was traded because he couldn't score and the Ducks are in a scoring slump in a huge way. Glencross gives the Ducks more scoring while not losing the grit side of the game. Sekac gives you scoring in the future without the rough stuff. I think Glencross plays Duck's style moreso than Sekac. Glencross is a better fit.

Didn't say SP was redundant... I said Glencross would of been. I think mentioned they traded SP for an upgrade in the skill department. They sacrificed truculence for a boost in skill... which is basically in line with what you are saying in terms of a need in scoring.

Also value wise, Glencross isn't going to bring you back a 22 yr old NHL-caliber roster player with his skillset.

End of the day, Glencross is 32 yr old, 0.5 PPG, gritty, pending UFA, who has gone public...

Also think about why people are looking to buy... the playoffs. So recap...

Glencross is 32 yr old, 0.5 PPG, gritty, pending UFA, who everyone knows is walking from Cgy, and no playoff resume to speak of.

Would you take someone's 4th rounder for him? 5th?

Didn't say SP was redundant... I said Glencross would of been. I think mentioned they traded SP for an upgrade in the skill department. They sacrificed truculence for a boost in skill... which is basically in line with what you are saying in terms of a need in scoring.

Also value wise, Glencross isn't going to bring you back a 22 yr old NHL-caliber roster player with his skillset.

End of the day, Glencross is 32 yr old, 0.5 PPG, gritty, pending UFA, who has gone public...

Glencross is 32 yr old, 0.5 PPG, gritty, pending UFA, who everyone knows is walking from Cgy, and no playoff resume to speak of.

Rentals/UFA's offer their own kind of value.  Teams don't have to commit to them long term. 

With this year's crop of available rentals being Antoine Vermette, Glencross could fetch for something decent.  It's a supply/demand situation where supply is low.

I think the Flames would keep him and let him walk before taking a 4th or 5th round offer for him at trade deadline.

I don't normally chime in, but yeah, I wouldn't underestimate Glencross here DL.

A guy that's effective throughout your 2nd to 4th line for near any team, that's not a 4th or 5th.

He can have zero stats, but he will log those minutes. A lot more than Sekac, way more.

Anaheim's top of the West, another bewildering move, I think.

I don't normally chime in, but yeah, I wouldn't underestimate Glencross here DL.

You are likely right... I probably am way underestimating him based on the 2 trades in the last 24 hrs...

- Wild paid a '16 3rd rounder for Bergenheim + a '16 7th. 31 yr old pending UFA as well. 18pts in 39 gms. ($2.75 mil)

- Pens paid a '16 2nd rounder, '15 4th rounder, Sill (throw in contract) for Winnik. 25pts in 55gms. 29 yr old pending UFA. #1 Pker. ($1.3 mil - bang4the$!)

That's 2 rentals right there...

I can easily see more than a 4th or 5th for Glencross now based on that.

So, like I was saying, prices are inflated during trade deadline. No way Glencross is worth a 2nd and a 3rd in the summer but it's a different story at trade deadline. Not surprised he fetched for what he did, which, if you quantify the two picks, is close to equivalent of DSP straight up.

Archived