Toronto's "Scorched Earth" plan approved by MLSE

Kulstad

The way they've been tanking the past month, they may end up with good odds on that first overall pick. If we think the media's infatuation with Crosby is bad, imagine the coverage of McDavid in Toronto  :wacko: They'd probably set up an entire broadcast channel dedicated to him.

The way they've been tanking the past month, they may end up with good odds on that first overall pick. If we think the media's infatuation with Crosby is bad, imagine the coverage of McDavid in Toronto  :wacko: They'd probably set up an entire broadcast channel dedicated to him.

Exactly, the way they're tanking right now, just leave it be.  Why make trades?  They'll suddenly start winning again.  They should make trades on draft day and the summer instead.

Great trade for both sides.

Nashville with some great depth added for a push this yr (and beyond if they re-sign Franson)..

Leaf salvage a 1st rounder and prospect.

Franson, Weber, Josi, Ellis, Jones, Ekholm /  Volchenko, Bartley 

Outstanding depth right there.

"It has begun"

But really?! I can't believe trading Franson means "it has begun" as so many Leafs fans are putting it.  Since when is trading Franson considered the beginning of a rebuild?  It will begin when one of Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR, Lupul, Kadri, etc gets traded.  Nothing has really begun yet.

In terms of Nashville tossing away a 1st rounder, they did it to get Paul Gaustad a few years ago.  Gaustad for a freakin 1st.  And now Franson and Santorelli for a player, prospect, and 1st. Really? Jbo and Iggy were worth a player, prospect, and 1st.  But Franson and Santorrelli is worth that too? 

"It has begun"

But really?! I can't believe trading Franson means "it has begun" as so many Leafs fans are putting it.  Since when is trading Franson considered the beginning of a rebuild?  It will begin when one of Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR, Lupul, Kadri, etc gets traded.  Nothing has really begun yet.

In terms of Nashville tossing away a 1st rounder, they did it to get Paul Gaustad a few years ago.  Gaustad for a freakin 1st.  And now Franson and Santorelli for a player, prospect, and 1st. Really? Jbo and Iggy were worth a player, prospect, and 1st.  But Franson and Santorrelli is worth that too? 

Franson & Santorelli have been in the rumor mill all year so moving them isn't a blockbuster/start of a selloff regardless of the way the TO based media slant it (they'd use the same column inches if little-loved Reimer we traded). If/when 1 of the 5 you mention (or Bernier) are traded it means the yardsale is on.

Poile is great @ drafting (defense in particular) but Gaustad wasn't 1st time he traded a 1st for a rental. In 2007 he traded Upshall, Parent (both considered up & comers), a 1st & 3rd to rent Peter Forsberg.

When the Preds are close he makes some strange trades.

To be fair, the cost of Franson AND Santorelli was the same as Jbo OR Iggy (if you want to say JBo and Iggy, it was in reality 4 prospects and 2 firsts). I think we got less than what we could have got for JBo since he wasn't a rental, Iggy was and a few years late at that.

Though I will say, Toronto hasn't really begun Scorched Earth until one of their big 5 names (I would say 4, since Kadri is still young enough to survive a 5 year rebuild and still be under 30, presumably still in his prime). Thing is, if Franson and Santorelli both re-sign in Nashville (or they win the cup) I would say they win this trade short of that 1st pick turning into the face of the franchise (which with Toronto's drafting record, I doubt).

To be fair, the cost of Franson AND Santorelli was the same as Jbo OR Iggy (if you want to say JBo and Iggy, it was in reality 4 prospects and 2 firsts). I think we got less than what we could have got for JBo since he wasn't a rental, Iggy was and a few years late at that.

Though I will say, Toronto hasn't really begun Scorched Earth until one of their big 5 names (I would say 4, since Kadri is still young enough to survive a 5 year rebuild and still be under 30, presumably still in his prime). Thing is, if Franson and Santorelli both re-sign in Nashville (or they win the cup) I would say they win this trade short of that 1st pick turning into the face of the franchise (which with Toronto's drafting record, I doubt).

You definitely have to be fair.

I think Nashville made some great additions in their rentals.

What they gave up still has the potential to be nothing, just the same.

One to revisit in the playoffs.

Archived