Suggestion: Phil Kessel

The_People1

it will take more to land Kessel than what the Senators paid for Bobby Ryan, which was Silverberg (2nd round pick in 2009), Stefan Noesen (1st round pick in 2011) and a 2014 1st round pick (Nick Ritchie). My guess is that it take something like Baertschi, Klimchuk, a 2015 1st and a 2016 1st.

This is a trade the Flames should do all day long.  We're trading a position of strength for a position of weakness.  Not only that, Kessel is first line material who has 5 to 8 prime years of hockey remaining in his career.  This would allow a player like Poirier to settle into a second line role and develop at his own pace without feeling rushed.

Baertschi might or might not amount to anything significant at the NHL level.  Even if he pans out, it's likely he's a 65-point player and somewhat one dimensional.  Klimchuk looks like he can be a sniper because he has a great shot but he can also be nothing more than the next Chuck Kobasew who was a great junior sniper too but didn't have enough other tools to make it at the NHL level.  The 2015 and 2016 picks might be in the mid-teens or later due to the way the Flames are emerging from the rebuild.  Overall, it's a fair trade to make.

It leaves us with solid lines moving forward,

We could be looking at this next season:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Kessel

Bennett - Stajan - Hudler 

Colborne - Backlund - Poirier

x: Raymond, Byron, Jones, Jooris, Granlund, Bouma, Bollig, Ferland

This is a trade the Flames should do all day long.  We're trading a position of strength for a position of weakness.  Not only that, Kessel is first line material who has 5 to 8 prime years of hockey remaining in his career.  This would allow a player like Poirier to settle into a second line role and develop at his own pace without feeling rushed.

Baertschi might or might not amount to anything significant at the NHL level.  Even if he pans out, it's likely he's a 65-point player and somewhat one dimensional.  Klimchuk looks like he can be a sniper because he has a great shot but he can also be nothing more than the next Chuck Kobasew who was a great junior sniper too but didn't have enough other tools to make it at the NHL level.  The 2015 and 2016 picks might be in the mid-teens or later due to the way the Flames are emerging from the rebuild.  Overall, it's a fair trade to make.

It leaves us with solid lines moving forward,

We could be looking at this next season:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Kessel

Bennett - Stajan - Hudler 

Colborne - Backlund - Poirier

x: Raymond, Byron, Jones, Jooris, Granlund, Bouma, Bollig, Ferland

I still wouldn't do it. Kessel is the type pf player that you have to give special treatment too, and that doesn't work with the way this team is being built. I want player who want to win, not just players who like to play hockey. Kessel reminds me in a way of Brett Hull, great goal scroer, but didn't like to practice, didn't like the media, almost had issues with staying in shape. Hull did win two Cups, but he wasn't the leader or counted on to be the main offensive weapon on either of those teams. In Dallas you had Modano and Nieuwendyk, Lehetinen and Carbonneau, who were the leaders of the team and Hull was just allowed to do his thing. Same thing in Detroit where they had guys like Shanahan, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Yzerman, Robitaille, Larionov and Chelios. Hull was surrounded by some of the greatest players of all timeso his deficiencies as a player and a leader were masked by great teammates.

Kessel in Calgary would be the best player and looked too, to be the guy. That's not what Kessel is, if you want to have success with Kessel in your lineup he has to be a roe player, not the number one option. IMO bringing Kessel into this team would set the rebuild back, and I am not sure it would get on track while he was on the team.

I still wouldn't do it. Kessel is the type pf player that you have to give special treatment too, and that doesn't work with the way this team is being built. I want player who want to win, not just players who like to play hockey. Kessel reminds me in a way of Brett Hull, great goal scroer, but didn't like to practice, didn't like the media, almost had issues with staying in shape. Hull did win two Cups, but he wasn't the leader or counted on to be the main offensive weapon on either of those teams. In Dallas you had Modano and Nieuwendyk, Lehetinen and Carbonneau, who were the leaders of the team and Hull was just allowed to do his thing. Same thing in Detroit where they had guys like Shanahan, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Yzerman, Robitaille, Larionov and Chelios. Hull was surrounded by some of the greatest players of all timeso his deficiencies as a player and a leader were masked by great teammates.

Kessel in Calgary would be the best player and looked too, to be the guy. That's not what Kessel is, if you want to have success with Kessel in your lineup he has to be a roe player, not the number one option. IMO bringing Kessel into this team would set the rebuild back, and I am not sure it would get on track while he was on the team.

Well put and I agree 100%. I don't think you can win while building around Phill Kessel and when he has the contract he has you are going to have to build around him. Not to mention I thinks it would take a lot to get him and more then you indicated. I don't think the leafs even listen unless one of Backlund, Monahan or Bennett is in the deal. One way the leafs trade Kessel is to get an elusive centre.

To me the issue is still the cost to get him & that contract.

I'd take him if it only cost Sven & a 2nd in 2016 with TML retaining 2 million. That won't happen so I'd rather use the assets elsewhere.

He remains an expensive 1 dimentional winger regardless of how you pile things. I'd pay more for Seguin & break the bank if a 1D came along.

Brent Seabrook is > Kessel in value imo (& will be UFA after the season). I'd trade a fair bit to have him & 1st right of negotiation now. There Sven & our 1st come into play. He makes 5.0 now so the re-up will probably be 6-6.5 (he isn't Keith). @ 29 do that time 4-5.

A bit less if only 1st chance. 1st right cost us a 3rd rounder & Leopold for JBo but the window is tighter now. There I'd try Sven & our 2nd. If no go our 1st & a lesser wing prospect.

If we did get Kessel as suggested here, we'd have to get rid of Bob Hartley. There is no way Bob could handle Kessel's here one day, gone the next attitude. Kessel would not be able to be in the physical condition Hartley would demand. Of course if he did, with Kessel's natural born talent he'd be heading for the Hall of Fame. Unfortunately I don't see this guy doing anything more than what he does. He's got a surfer mentality in the middle of winter. If it is right wing you want, look no further than Porrier.

• Like 2

If TOR was smart they would try and work a deal with the Sharks: Phaneuf and Kessell for Thorton and Marleau, both teams need a shake up.

And why would Thornton and Marleau waive to go to the Leafs when they are on a playoff team now? Two aging vets are not going to help the Leafs. They need to completely blow up their team and start over.

I just don't understand why Leafs nation expected so much out of their team this season.  Their roster isn't that good and were a bubble team for the playoffs from the beginning.  They're playing up to par as far as i'm concerned.  To think they are going to blow it up on the pretense they are better than this is laughable.

• 2 weeks later...

Kessel in the right deal should be given serious consideration. It would have to be a Cap dump deal for the Flames to take his Cap hit. I could see the Leafs doing a fire sale on Kessel because he is such a cost, His skill is undeniable and the Flames have nothing on the right side. 

Again I would take Kessel but only in what would be a fire-sale deal. Burke may be able to do it. If the Leafs are looking to open up Cap and willing to dump him for the right price. I would go for it.

Kessel is a great goal scorer there is no doubt about that, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near this team. First there is the cost, it will take more to land Kessel than what the Senators paid for Bobby Ryan, which was Silverberg (2nd round pick in 2009), Stefan Noesen (1st round pick in 2011) and a 2014 1st round pick (Nick Ritchie). My guess is that it take something like Baertschi, Klimchuk, a 2015 1st and a 2016 1st.

Second we will have his cap hit of $8mill for the rest of this season and 7 seasons after that. Which isn't a huge issues except for the fact that he is not known for being in great shape, you have to wonder how long his body will hold up if he refuses to do the necessary work outs.

There are some great scorers out there that are more interested in making their money and scoring goals than they are winning, I put Kessel and Ovechkin in that category and I would bet my house that neither will ever win a cup.

Kessel is a great goal scorer there is no doubt about that, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near this team. First there is the cost, it will take more to land Kessel than what the Senators paid for Bobby Ryan, which was Silverberg (2nd round pick in 2009), Stefan Noesen (1st round pick in 2011) and a 2014 1st round pick (Nick Ritchie). My guess is that it take something like Baertschi, Klimchuk, a 2015 1st and a 2016 1st.

Second we will have his cap hit of $8mill for the rest of this season and 7 seasons after that. Which isn't a huge issues except for the fact that he is not known for being in great shape, you have to wonder how long his body will hold up if he refuses to do the necessary work outs.

There are some great scorers out there that are more interested in making their money and scoring goals than they are winning, I put Kessel and Ovechkin in that category and I would bet my house that neither will ever win a cup.

That is too high - his contract now serves as a significant negative on trade value.

Burke could probably get him on draft day for the 2015 1st plus Baertschi and maybe Klimchuk. Kessel hates Toronto and Toronto hates him. If the Leafs are truly looking to re-boot they will take less in trade value to dump his long-term expensive contract. Whether the Flames want to sign onto it though is another question... 

I think Hartley may be able to whip him into shape and the Calgary media would leave him alone unlike the Toronto media. I like him positionally on the team. The need for a elite #1 RW is pretty clear...