TOR Randy Carlyle Fired

Kulstad

The trouble with Toronto in my opinion is they only play offense. There stars are not expected to lead by example. I have never seen Kessel make a good defensive play when needed. I do watch them play from time to time and many of there players are me first kind of players. That has to be changed, it doesn't matter who tells them to do anything, if they don't want to listen nothing happens so they will keep on doing what ever they like until there is some real consequence for there actions.

They are just another Edmonton with less first overall pick, and maybe better goaltending. 

Kessel is there to score.  He get $8 mil to score. There are 5 other team mates on the ice when he's on the ice. When you have a prolific scorer like him that does his job as good as any other scorer in the league, its the job of the GM to put together a roster to balance the attributes of the team he's icing. 

There's nothing wrong with Kessel.

Kessel being "uncoachable" is something that has been getting said for years, and by several coaches. Perhaps its true, but than again uncoachable/coach-killer was tossed around Iginla for a while as well, so it could just be they haven't had a coach who is willing to put in that extra bit with him.

Either way Kessel isn't their biggest concern, it's their D, starting with Phaneuf (which is amusing to me since the amount of Toronto fans that acted like Phaneuf was going to usher in a new era for the Leafs 5 years ago almost all want him gone now, and with that contract he is damn near untradeable).

Toronto's problem is not the coaches, its the players. I don't feel bad for Carlyle because he's out of the nightmare that is the Leafs. I'm sure he won't be out of a job for too long as he's too good of a coach. 

I hope he takes his time.

KLowe/MacT have probably left him dozens on messages

I hope he takes his time.

KLowe/MacT have probably left him dozens on messages

:lol: I can just imagine how those voice-mails would go

I don't see him taking a job until the end of the season. There are still plenty of teams that will be looking for a new coach and he'll have his choice of suitors. Sadly he could be a good fit in Edmonton if they are willing to move a few of their prized possessions for players they are more in dire need of.

This is another one where I think Carlyle got unfair treatment. The leafs just are not any good and you can't create something that is not there I don't care how good a coach you are. They are trending in the wrong direction and are continuing to build a team that would be great in the old NHL but is getting killed in the new NHL. When you are spending big bucks in free agency on the likes of Robidas and Clarkson you don't have a coach problem you have a gm problem.

Having said that Carlyle did some very questionable things and specifically did little to help the young players like Gardiner, Reilly and Kadri and was often accuses of being overly critical of them and that doesn't fly in today's NHL so he does wear some responsibility. But IMO for that team to be where they are right now is a sign Carlyle had things going at least ok.

This is another one where I think Carlyle got unfair treatment. The leafs just are not any good and you can't create something that is not there I don't care how good a coach you are. They are trending in the wrong direction and are continuing to build a team that would be great in the old NHL but is getting killed in the new NHL. When you are spending big bucks in free agency on the likes of Robidas and Clarkson you don't have a coach problem you have a gm problem.

Having said that Carlyle did some very questionable things and specifically did little to help the young players like Gardiner, Reilly and Kadri and was often accuses of being overly critical of them and that doesn't fly in today's NHL so he does wear some responsibility. But IMO for that team to be where they are right now is a sign Carlyle had things going at least ok.

Like all coaches Carlyle could only play what he had on the roster. If the young players don't have the coach's confidence they belong in the AHL where developing is part of the job.

In the NHL losses result in coaches being fired so they play/overplay the guys that give them a chance to win.

Lucky for Kitty he was re-upped before the season so has time to wait for an offer from a decent team rather than be desperate enough to accept the 1st 1 offered. Especially when said team's former coaches seldom have a shelf life above 1.5 seasons. He can collect TML checks until a job with a reasonable chance of success comes along.

As the saying goes, coaches are hired to be fired. They provide that comfort zone that buys bad GMs an extra year or so.

Edmonton should keep Nolan in place as coach and hire Carlyle to replace KLowe and MacT.

Nelson. Nolan coaches Buffalo.

& I don't think Kitty was ever a GM.

In Oiler-land that wouldn't be needed if he was Oiler alumni but I don't think he ever played for them (he played against them as a Jet version 1 though) so wouldn't be high on Katz's list even if he shook off his bromance with current ex-Oilers.

Nelson. Nolan coaches Buffalo.

& I don't think Kitty was ever a GM.

In Oiler-land that wouldn't be needed if he was Oiler alumni but I don't think he ever played for them (he played against them as a Jet version 1 though) so wouldn't be high on Katz's list even if he shook off his bromance with current ex-Oilers.

Kitty Carlisle reference? Holy crap you're old...just sayin'...lol

Kitty Carlisle reference? Holy crap you're old...just sayin'...lol

Carlyle not Carlisle.

I liked him patrolling the blueline for the original Jets. A bit of a hard nose & had good hands.

He played in the late '70s to early '90s btw. Even some of the children might remember. ;):P

Carlyle not Carlisle.

I liked him patrolling the blueline for the original Jets. A bit of a hard nose & had good hands.

He played in the late '70s to early '90s btw. Even some of the children might remember. ;):P

Yeah I know, just don't remember the kitty handle. Thought maybe your man cave looked like a WWII mess hall with Betty Boop and Greta Garbo posters ;)

Then again, I went to Kitty Carlisle, so maybe I'll just shut the heck up now :ph34r:

Archived