Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Flames were to win the Cup this year, and Gio didn't play a single playoff game, he wouldn't get his name on the cup, correct?

Per NHL.com:

A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play.

He is eligible on regular season alone therefore.

Ortio played quite poorly. Since we only scored the one goal, we may still have lost, but he's the reason we were down 5-1 instead of 2-1 or 3-1. So I put a good portion of the loss on him.

That said, as I already said, it's explainable and forgiveable due to his injury and rust. I'm not slamming him.

Ortio also is at about 80% or so coming off of a high ankle sprain. I think they needed to see how he was progressing and give Hiller a rest.

I am not a huge Ortio fan but you can't fault him on this one.

Although it would be great if he works out and is the goalie of the future...

rocket doctor, you are crazy if you think our team can beat the hawks in the playoffs. Toews, kane, ETC would destroy us Preds could beat us in 7. I think ducks would be close as well, but I think they would beat us in 6 or 7. Canucks will be a challenge, but if we stick to our game of speed tenacious hockey with good goal tending, then I think we'll beat the nucks

We can probably get past Vancouver. 

The question of who wins the Ducks/Jets series is important. If its somehow the Jets we can win that matchup, we can beat them. More likely though we face the Ducks with them having home ice. We can win against them, but if we can't win there we're done. That's still not horrible though.

Should we beat them? I hope to heck that its the Preds coming out of central. We match up well against them having swept them in 3 games this year. Chicago we're 1-2-0 against this year, and could make a series of, but would probably lose.

We didnt win a game against either the Blues or Wild. We face them, and I'm pretty sure our year is done.

rocket doctor, you are crazy if you think our team can beat the hawks in the playoffs. Toews, kane, ETC would destroy us Preds could beat us in 7. I think ducks would be close as well, but I think they would beat us in 6 or 7. Canucks will be a challenge, but if we stick to our game of speed tenacious hockey with good goal tending, then I think we'll beat the nucks

We did quite well against Chicago in the regular season. I'd rather face Chicago than St. Louis or Anaheim.

Crazy is not recognizing a team that relies on limiting penalties and excelling at even strength scoring.

The Flames are that team.

We can beat the Wings. We can handle the Preds (check out the season series). The biggest challenge with the Ducks is getting over the stigma of losing in their barn.

My favorite matchups are Vancouver, Winnipeg and Nashville because those are the three I believe we can beat the easiest. The Ducks are the only team I do not want us to face. Either way, Calgary has been defying the odds all regular season, now we just continue on and defy the odds

It's unlikely we can beat many of the playoff teams in a 7 game series. Chicago doesn't scare me. But teams like St Louis do.

But it was also unlikely we could make the playoffs this season at all. Yet here we are. It was unlikely we could we could score 2 with an empty net against LA and later knock the defending champions out of the playoffs. And yet we did.

You would think Flames fans would know better than to count out this team.

We can probably get past Vancouver. I hope so but 1 series @ a time.

The question of who wins the Ducks/Jets series is important. If its somehow the Jets we can win that matchup, we can beat them.

Re: bolded, I watch both teams a lot & am not sure we could. They play with as much heart, are bigger & deeper @ D & forward. Only suspect spot is goal but Pav has been doing a pretty good Kipper imitation of late.

In the meantime let's just rid the hockey world of Vancouver to start.

I do try to watch the Jets on occasion, and while they have as much heart and are definitely bigger, they are to my eyes slower and not as skilled.

It would be a punishing series no question (of course you can't hit what you can't catch), but I think we come out ahead pending goaltending which both teams have a very up and down quality to.

Also, Anaheim are no skin flints, and whichever team comes out of that series is going to be pretty beat up.

Considering we won all 3 games against Winnipeg where we played our NHL roster, Its a matchup I like. Certainly way more than the Ducks.

I do try to watch the Jets on occasion, and while they have as much heart and are definitely bigger, they are to my eyes slower and not as skilled.

It would be a punishing series no question (of course you can't hit what you can't catch), but I think we come out ahead pending goaltending which both teams have a very up and down quality to.

Also, Anaheim are no skin flints, and whichever team comes out of that series is going to be pretty beat up.

Considering we won all 3 games against Winnipeg where we played our NHL roster, Its a matchup I like. Certainly way more than the Ducks.

What 3rd game are you talking about that we won?

Unfortunate that we face either team coming out of round one. The Ducks have the voodoo of the Honda Center. When did we last win there? 2004. Before that? 1999.

Facing the Jets is no simple task either. Big, mean D-men (Buff and Myers). They have speed. They have a guy that slaps the puck over 100 mph. And he hits the net!

Sure we can beat either team, but it is no more certain than any other team in the playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...

We are in baby, we are in!

The Flames have 45 wins (so far) this season, each one was huge, but 3 stand out.

March 23, a must win for COL, Flames win 3-2, ending COL season.

March 30, a must win for DAL, Flames win 5-3, ending DAL season.

Apr 9, a must win for LA, Flames win 3-1, ending LA season.

Plus they won 10 of 11 mini 7 game segments and finished the season winning one 5 game segment.

Does anyone see the trend?

GFG!

April 25, a must win for the Orca, Flames win 7-4, Orca harvested!

So the question now is can we break the Disneyland curse.

I think the reporter after the game said its been 20 straight losses in that building?

If we lose both of the first two games I think we're done. We can win at home against them, we've shown that, but can we win there on the road? That's the telling point.

So the question now is can we break the Disneyland curse.

I think the reporter after the game said its been 20 straight losses in that building?

If we lose both of the first two games I think we're done. We can win at home against them, we've shown that, but can we win there on the road? That's the telling point.

the curse if you prefer to call it that is for regular season games.

Considering we were not even supposed to be near the playoffs, let alone in the playoffs, let alone moving on to the 2nd round of the playoffs........

I have to think and the players too:

Its all downhill from here !!!

559f576bdd232dde62f203797f0ec7dc.png

or maybe.. have just begun our climb?:

35eba5c56df43e420687c3a74c7b130d.png

jzfzm0.gif

the curse if you prefer to call it that is for regular season games.

Exactly what I've been thinking. As irrelevent as Ferlund once was to Bieksa. :D

Our key will have to be our speed, keep the game spread out. Anaheim will give us zero space compared to the 'nucks, but Babcock turned them upside down 2 years ago by spreading the game out and sticking to that plan, not getting involved in Anaheim's game.

They've got some great irritators, led by Getzlaf. Don't get involved in that stuff, Getzlaf thrives on it.

When Thornton dropped the gloves with Getzlaf to start a game 7 a few years back, I thought, "NO JOE, HE LOVES IT LIKE THIS".

When Getzlaf was a Hitmen, he was a floater...until he gets engaged...then he was a BIG problem. 

Exactly what I've been thinking. As irrelevent as Ferlund once was to Bieksa. :D

Our key will have to be our speed, keep the game spread out. Anaheim will give us zero space compared to the 'nucks, but Babcock turned them upside down 2 years ago by spreading the game out and sticking to that plan, not getting involved in Anaheim's game.

They've got some great irritators, led by Getzlaf. Don't get involved in that stuff, Getzlaf thrives on it.

When Thornton dropped the gloves with Getzlaf to start a game 7 a few years back, I thought, "NO JOE, HE LOVES IT LIKE THIS".

When Getzlaf was a Hitmen, he was a floater...until he gets engaged...then he was a BIG problem. 

Getzlaf is playing through an injury & was less involved during the series against the Jets. It was noticible but he's a warrior & always dangerous. My guess is he's playing @ 65-75% but he still scares the heck out of me.

Archived