Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was a bad game by the team unfortunately. Had we ever doubted there were issues with Defence depth, that proved it. Engellend falls apart without Brodie, and Wotherspoon is definitely not NHL ready. Schlemko, Ramage and Potter were actually ok though, but not outstanding.

Kulak though looks like he may be ready to make the jump. To early to tell on one game, but that's someone I'd be watching at camp next year.

But Colborne -5? YEOUCH!

Good to know now rather than in a playoff game.

Also, our year record shows we beat the teams we're supposed to beat who aren't in the playoff hunt, and we stack up evenly against the league leaders. But we really fall down against the other teams in the playoff race be it west or east. That's where we have to work on our record next year.

League Leaders: 6-5-1 (54.2%)
Montreal 1-0-1
NY Rangers 0-2-0
Nashville 3-0-0
Anaheim 2-3-0

West Playoff Contenders: 9-10-2 (47.6%)
St Louis 0-3-0
Minnesota 0-2-1
Vancouver 2-1-1
Chicago 1-2-0
Winnipeg 2-1-0
Los Angeles 4-1-0

East Playoff Contenders: 5-7-2 (42.9%)
Tampa Bay 0-1-1
Detroit 1-1-0
NY Islanders 0-2-0
Pittsburgh 0-2-0
Wahington 1-1-0
Boston 2-0-0
Ottawa 1-0-1

West Bubble Teams: 7-3-1 (68.2%)
Dallas 1-1-1
San Jose 4-1-0
Colorado 2-1-0

East Bubble Teams: 5-2-1 (68.8%)

Florida 1-1-0
Philadelphia 2-0-0
Columbus 0-1-1
New Jersey 2-0-0

Lottery Teams: 13-3-0 (81.3%)
Carolina 1-1-0
Toronto 1-1-0
Buffalo 1-1-0
Edmonton 5-0-0
Arizona 5-0-0

Well that was a bad game by the team unfortunately. Had we ever doubted there were issues with Defence depth, that proved it. Engellend falls apart without Brodie, and Wotherspoon is definitely not NHL ready. Schlemko, Ramage and Potter were actually ok though, but not outstanding.

Kulak though looks like he may be ready to make the jump. To early to tell on one game, but that's someone I'd be watching at camp next year.

But Colborne -5? YEOUCH!

Good to know now rather than in a playoff game.

To their defense....since I am always the one talking up Ortio, I should be the one to say he was no good, and made the Flames look worse than they really were.

I don't hold it against Ortio either.   He hasn't played in months.   

The last game of the season was of little importance but did highlight depth issues on defense And goaltending.  Glad to have Ortio back, give him a few games in the AHL and he'll be ready for NHL action.

To answer the OP's question:  Yes.    I think we can make the playoffs now lol.  I'm pretty sure.

I still have my opinions about the wisdom of rebuilding this quickly.  None of those opinions, of course, matter right now, as we are In the playoffs and I am super excited!!

To their defense....since I am always the one talking up Ortio, I should be the one to say he was no good, and made the Flames look worse than they really were.

The last game of the season was of little importance but did highlight depth issues on defense And goaltending.  Glad to have Ortio back, give him a few games in the AHL and he'll be ready for NHL action.

To answer the OP's question:  Yes.    I think we can make the playoffs now lol.  I'm pretty sure.

I still have my opinions about the wisdom of rebuilding this quickly.  None of those opinions, of course, matter right now, as we are In the playoffs and I am super excited!!

I don't think that sending down Ortio is an option. There is only one game (tomorrow at 5pm), so it would be a very quick turnaround, and he would have to play B2B nights.

I like our chances against the Cannots. Could be a long series and very exciting.

Not counting chickens but as 8th seed I would like us to stay clear of the Blues and Wild.  Happy to take on Preds and Blackhawks as I think we match up well against them and have a chance.   Ducks could be interesting but they have to get past a bullish Jets team.

Flames v Jets conference final would be awesome.

Being a Brit probably have not got the same wish for an all Canadian final.   I have never like Ottawa, detest Toronto and sort of respect the Habs - can't say I like them but that's probably Claude Lemieux's fault..  Only Canadian team I liked out East was the Nordiques.

The funniest thing I saw was multiple tweets from Feaster.  That guy is priceless.

The GM showed his excitement is right on par with the players. The things he didn't do and the things he did allowed the team to focus on winning. No Kane distractions. No "new player issues". In hindsight, Schlemko was a good move because it gave us the

needed body that was reliable.  Not flashy, just solid.  Erixon would have been a distraction.  Yandle would have killed our prospect

base.

This is still largely Feaster's team - he should be thrilled.

BT's biggest moves would have been adding Hiller for G. The rest are rather low-impact at this point in time.

Drafting Johnny, Mony, getting Hartley as coach. Getting Wideman, Jones, Jorris / These are major impact moves - this Flames team is largely composed or players he acquired. Plus you know few GMs come into a better situation with all that cap room.

Now Feaster isn't perfect, we all can take pause and thank the hockey gods that the ROR debacle never came to be but again a large part of this team is Feaster's. I would be very happy if I was him too... 

This is still largely Feaster's team - he should be thrilled.

BT's biggest moves would have been adding Hiller for G. The rest are rather low-impact at this point in time.

Drafting Johnny, Mony, getting Hartley as coach. Getting Wideman, Jones, Jorris / These are major impact moves - this Flames team is largely composed or players he acquired. Plus you know few GMs come into a better situation with all that cap room.

Now Feaster isn't perfect, we all can take pause and thank the hockey gods that the ROR debacle never came to be but again a large part of this team is Feaster's. I would be very happy if I was him too...

Hehehe.

Watching Janko playing in the Frozen Four. He is playing well, had a goal and some good chances. Imagine how proud Feaster would be if Janko ends up being a top line NHL player.

Hehehe.

Ortio was not good, but coming off two months injured, straight into an NHL game, with the top 4 scoring forwards, and top 4 D not playing that game? Not entirely on him.

I think his 5 games earlier this season are a better indication of what he will play like in time.

We do definitely have issues with D Depth for sure though. (realized I was retyping my earlier post. See above)

I like our chances against the Cannots. Could be a long series and very exciting.

Not counting chickens but as 8th seed I would like us to stay clear of the Blues and Wild.  Happy to take on Preds and Blackhawks as I think we match up well against them and have a chance.   Ducks could be interesting but they have to get past a bullish Jets team.

Flames v Jets conference final would be awesome.

Flames vs. Jets would be awesome, but that would be round 2, not the conference final.

Jets vs Ducks

Flames vs Canucks

Preds vs. Hawks

Blues vs. Wild

Chances are at least one Canadian team makes the WCF though.

Out east, I hope the Sens or Habs can make a run of it.

I'd love a Flames vs. Sens SCF. Can you imagine that?

Don't need to get all salty over nothing, To blame that game all on Ortio is kinda asinine.

Maybe respond with something intelligible next time instead of your 1 liner responses.

Ortio played quite poorly. Since we only scored the one goal, we may still have lost, but he's the reason we were down 5-1 instead of 2-1 or 3-1. So I put a good portion of the loss on him.

That said, as I already said, it's explainable and forgiveable due to his injury and rust. I'm not slamming him.

Ortio played quite poorly. Since we only scored the one goal, we may still have lost, but he's the reason we were down 5-1 instead of 2-1 or 3-1. So I put a good portion of the loss on him.

That said, as I already said, it's explainable and forgiveable due to his injury and rust. I'm not slamming him.

He was also playing behind a team that was roughly 1/2 AHLers against a team that was playing most of their NHL squad. (5 of CGYs 6 D weren't playing and 5 of their top 6 forwards) I'm amazed Ortio kept it to only 5-1.

It was a nothing, a non- important game that the Flames have long put behind them. Probably put it behind them about 3 seconds after the final horn.

I look at that game more as a scrimmage for the prospects and call ups. I would read anything about a players abilities into how they played this game be it good or bad. If it was important there would not have been all the line juggling going on.

It was a nothing, a non- important game that the Flames have long put behind them. Probably put it behind them about 3 seconds after the final horn.

I look at that game more as a scrimmage for the prospects and call ups. I would read anything about a players abilities into how they played this game be it good or bad. If it was important there would not have been all the line juggling going on.

It didn't matter to either team as both were looking to game 1 of the playoffs. I wasn't that relaxed during a game all season & figure the players felt the same. It's not like the callups are playing their way onto the roster like they hope in preseason.

Both rested their top line, top D & current 1 goalie. Neither wants important players injured & want to let their top enders get extra time to heal the bumps & bruises all players worth their contract play through.

Jets usually take a lot of penalties (major & minor) but the Flames took 4 of 6 minors. 2 happy teams in a for fun game where the score didn't matter. It was like pond hockey without tossing the sticks in the middle.

I might have seen it that way as I follow both teams but there was respect since there was nothing on the line.

When they meet again as foes in a game that matters gloves will be off.

He was also playing behind a team that was roughly 1/2 AHLers against a team that was playing most of their NHL squad. (5 of CGYs 6 D weren't playing and 5 of their top 6 forwards) I'm amazed Ortio kept it to only 5-1.

Winnipeg rested 9 of their players as well, so it was fairly even in that respect. A number of the goals were ones that he should have kept out.

But as I said, it's understandable and forgiveable. This game was more to help get him back in the saddle in case he needs to perform backup duties, rather than one he was expected to do well in.

All of our top 4D were out as was our entire top line. Ortio was straight back from injury and rusty. So there are lots of reasons why Ortio wasn't strong. But he he clearly wasn't strong. Neither was the team and it was a shared loss.

But it sounds like everyone is in agreement on all of those points so I don't get the big debate!

We are in the playoff guys! Happy times. No need to argue about what everyone is in agreement on. ;)

Didn't quite know where to put this but The Score is reporting that Giordano is not ruling out possibly coming back for the playoffs. That would be good news indeed.

He was skating today. Not available this round at this point, but is possible further down the road, so he said.

Woul it be awesome if he was fully recovered?  Sure.

Archived