Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

I would like to be right by saying "yes" we can and will make the playoffs. I believe the biggest test we will face is going to be how the guys who are out do to injury fit in when they are healthy. We have some good chemistry at this point but there is no way of telling how things will go once the injured parties return. 

One would think that they would actually improve us in certain areas like the face off dot, but besides Jones and Seto who can we send down or sit without messing up the play of others. Maybe Ferland but I still feel his energy is needed. 

Jooris should stay along with Granlund, Bart should go down when Raymond gets back, I believe Raymond gives us a huge boost of speed and energy on the top line. Colborne will most likely make the shift to the wing and replace Seto. Stajan will replace Knight on the fourth line.

Raymond/Mony/Jooris  Speed and scoring

Johny/Granlund/Hudler  Speed and scoring

Glencross/Backlund/Colborne  Grit  scoring, and some good two way hockey

Bollig/Stajan/Bouma  Grit, shut down line, some scoring (one can hope)

Looking at this as a line up I feel we are stronger than most will admit and for some who say we lack star talent I would have to disagree. I see star talent and great balance. Having McGrattan, Ferland, Byron all looking like they can contribute we have some guys we can call on if needed.

Our D is solid, best top pairing in the league so far, Wideman is playing up to his contract along side Russel, and the third line is doing ok, some issues when it comes to speed and getting caught at times but unless we are planning to sign another D-man or trade for one we will just have to make do.

The goal tending has been good, actually at times it has been great. I do think Hiller would do just aswell maybe even better with a few nights off here and there. Ramo is going to be called on at times and needs to be sharp.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But those Presidents Trophy banners are so pretty. They can deflect fans attention away from the fact their team has been around since 1970 without having a reason for a real banner. :)

Hahaha I see what you did there FF... Stupid Nuck heads.

Of course the flames CAN make the playoffs. Allot of people are hung up on the idea that we can not sustain this play for a full 82 games, but why cant we?

Is this not the same type of play we ended the season with last year? Is it really that unfathomable to think we are a legitimate hockey club? This is the NHL, the same league where the Florida panthers, an expansion team on there first season made it to the finals. The same league where the Montreal Canadiens won a Stanley cup with 10 consecutive ot wins...

I believe this team is playoff bound, how they get there and what happens at the dance has yet to be determined but Im not about to start doubting the comeback kids.

Take note of how the Flames are approaching this; seven games at a time. The more winning series they have the more chance the playoffs will be there for them at the seasons end. Anything is possible but it is more important that we just enjoy the ride and see what happens. I havent heard the fans at the dome this loud in years, so mabye there is something special in the air this season.

I think we would be a scary team if we did make it but I'm also scared if we do.. This team is too much like Ottawa from a few years ago but we probably have a better defensive core than that team because they just rode their goalie that year. The breakdowns that were happening in the beginning of the season have started again the last few games against the good teams and our goaltending has come back down to earth, it's definitely still to early to know. I hope that they still do make it because I think that experience would be good for the players and that the young guys we do have are pretty underrated when compared to other top prospects around the league (we just need better defensive prospects!) 

True.  Ottawa wasn't ready to make the playoffs but they did.  It ended up creating unrealistic expectations and then everything fell apart last season.  Much like Colorado this season. 

It's better to slowly build and once we get back to the playoffs, we get back every year for a decade.  Don't like this one year in and one year out thing.

Peeps....I see hidden analogies with respect to the Flames in your rebuild logic. :P

I so hope you're wrong & the Flames establish a new rebuild paradigm.

Opposing opinions make the world a much more interesting place. ;)

NHL Power Rankings - November 24, 2014 - Scott Cullen - tsn.ca

Calgary Flames - This week: 11   Last Week: 10

"There isn't a single Flames player with positive possession numbers -- Paul Byron leads at 49.2% -- and that makes it highly unlikely that the first quarter success will continue, but it's a fun ride for as long as it lasts."

OMG...the lack of positive possession #'s has resulted in us having a 13-7-2 record....the horror.

Maybe it is possibly due to our defencemen not doing endless pirouettes in the defensive zone or our forwards not doing time-consuming  & pointless cycling in the corner. Perhaps our team gets down to the business of scoring goals.

This approach could possibly be termed "Playing With Fire" just like Theo's book.

Call me crazy, but I still fail to see how winning games and havimg high expectations is a bad thing. I would have thought you would have abandoned the tank train by now Peeps?

We have built a solid foundation in a short period of time, draft picks from all over the board and exceeding what we thought there ceiling was when there's names were called. Our coach has gotten everyone to by in and we have a solid leadership core driving the train...

Can we not take all those things and come to a conclusion that this is a good team with room for improvement? Why do we have to be like the Sens/Wild/Avs teams in tge past that couldn't replicate there success?

If we hadn't finished last season with above .500 play I would be more skeptical, but given the fact that this team has managed to carry over the momentum and work ethic that we all tipp ed our caps too I will instead choose to have faith and ride it out.

Peeps....I see hidden analogies with respect to the Flames in your rebuild logic. :P

I so hope you're wrong & the Flames establish a new rebuild paradigm.

Opposing opinions make the world a much more interesting place. ;)

Just goes to show, there are many ways to rebuild a team ;)

Personally, i don't see the Flames competing for the Cup until Bennett and this year's first round pick is closer to 21 to 22 years old.  So until the Flames are ready, there's no rush to make the playoffs or anything like that.  Sometimes it's better to go into the playoffs with no previous haunting memories.  No fear.  No history.  So, i'm not really cheering for the playoffs until after this year.  

I wouldn't mind to be proven wrong and the Flames win the Cup this year, of course.

Call me crazy, but I still fail to see how winning games and havimg high expectations is a bad thing. I would have thought you would have abandoned the tank train by now Peeps?

We have built a solid foundation in a short period of time, draft picks from all over the board and exceeding what we thought there ceiling was when there's names were called. Our coach has gotten everyone to by in and we have a solid leadership core driving the train...

Can we not take all those things and come to a conclusion that this is a good team with room for improvement? Why do we have to be like the Sens/Wild/Avs teams in tge past that couldn't replicate there success?

If we hadn't finished last season with above .500 play I would be more skeptical, but given the fact that this team has managed to carry over the momentum and work ethic that we all tipp ed our caps too I will instead choose to have faith and ride it out.

I'm not in this thread to be a Debbie Downer.  i watch the games too and I am pleasantly surprised by the effectiveness of the team, BUT perspectives perspectives.  I mean, we're only one of three Cinderella's in the Conference along with Vancouver and Nashville.  None of the three teams were locks for the playoffs but are making statements of their own.

Going back to the Flames for a second, if we don't add even one more blue chip prospect to this group and move the clock foward 5 years, do we have enough to compete for the Cup?  Maaaaybe.  Gaudreau would be the centerpiece.  Bennett and Monahan could Center two very good lines.  Poirier, Klimchuk, Granlund, Ferland, etc (Baertschi, Backlund) could play pivotal roles.

But imagine this group with McDavid too. *salivate*

Just saying.

But realitistically, we're not getting McDavid and never were worse than Buffalo and Florida prior to the start of the season.  Now it looks like Columbus and Edmonton had hidden plans to interupt the Sabres plans.  Anyways, McDavid was within reach but was always a bit of a long shot.  We would've had to suck plus get lucky via the lottery.  It wasn't McDavid or bust for me, although, McDavid would admittedly be sweet.  I am still hoping the Flames draft a key piece moving forward.  In a deep draft like this year's draft, that can still be accomplished drafting anywhere in the top 10.

The tanking debate is always too black and white for my tastes.  One side is convinced that the only way to build a winning franchise is to draft in the top 3.  The other side is convinced that because that approach hasn't worked for Edmonton and other teams that it is the wrong way to go.  

My opinion hasn't change.  You have to draft impact players to be a successful franchise.  Drafting higher and drafting more often increases your odds of drafting impact players.  The Flames previous approach of trading picks and prospects to remain a mediocre team wasn't a good recipe for future success.  

But that was then.  Today the Flames have a focus on the acquisition and development of prospects.  We have had two consecutive low finishes where we drafted sixth and fourth overall.  We have had five first round picks in the last three years.  We have young kids and prospects like Brodie, Gaudreau, Monahan, and Bennett  that look like key pieces of this teams future.  We have a number of other prospects that look like they could be good NHL players.  

I would argue that the current culture and work ethic we are seeing by both our NHL and AHL teams is important to the successful development of our current prospects.  I think you are seeing the results of that on the ice with success of players like Jooris, Granlund, Poirier, and others.  I would argue that this is much more important then picking top 10 vs picking top 20 in the next draft.  

Most successful teams didn't need multiple years of high picks to turn things around.  LA had three seasons of high picks which they translated to Doughty and Richards (via the Schenn trade).  Chicago was a perennial bottom feeder, but that is because they blew high draft picks on players like Barker.  Once they turned the page they needed two drafts to get Kane and Toews.  Boston only needed one to draft Kessel.  The list goes on.  

This idea that we need another top 10 pick is false IMO.  Especially if it isn't McDavid or Eichel.  Team success if more valuable to the rebuild right now.  

We dont need a top ten, we need good scouting and an emphasis on defense. Normally I would stay away from picking by position but this summer if I was the GM Id be tempted to grab the best available defensive prospect where ever we may draft. He'll I may even spend every pick we have on dmen just to give us a few more rounds in the chamber.

Mcdavid has always been a pipe dream, one Im more then happy to given up on for a chance at the playoffs this season.

I think we could use one more top 10 pick. After that, we should be good. No more high picks and just win win win!

Why? The team is having a lot of on ice success and that is translating to prospect development success. Why would you want to lose that so you can move up 10 or so spots in the draft?

Why? The team is having a lot of on ice success and that is translating to prospect development success. Why would you want to lose that so you can move up 10 or so spots in the draft?

Exactly, it seems like its been forgotten that we've played over half the season without our 2 most experienced centre's.  I can't see this as a bad thing that we are playing competitive and winning hockey while asking for a little more out of a 20 year old Monahan and 21 year old Granlund.  

Exactly, it seems like its been forgotten that we've played over half the season without our 2 most experienced centre's.  I can't see this as a bad thing that we are playing competitive and winning hockey while asking for a little more out of a 20 year old Monahan and 21 year old Granlund.  

The same thing could be said about our overall possession game being bad or our playoff hopes.  If we had more of our veterans back the stats could be completely different for those who care. Not to mention backlund being our top two way centre last year and colborne playing on monys wing again wouldnt necessarily be a bad thing.

Difficult to respond to this question but the Flames are definitely showing signs of being contenders.  Even though this team is quite young, Bob Hartley is providing them with the required inspiration.  He is preparing them for the "what could be" by breaking challenges into seven game segments.  The load seems lighter when players focus on a game at a time rather than focusing on the upcoming adversities.  .   

Sure, I can do that and it's done already.  I'll put it up after the end this segment.

Cheers

Thanks for the chart, Cheersman. Might I suggest that in future versions you use bars to capture the actual points in a segment and use the blue line to capture the cumulative +/- to the target. So the blue line would be at 10 still for segment 3 but the bar would only go to 8. That way we see the buffer or deficit we have over time while still seeing the total for any given 7 game stretch. If not, that's cool too...

Thanks again!

Honestly I love the way things have been going. They have literally done everything I could have hoped for as far as drafts and. trades, pickups, and signings the last two years.

I do believe we could make the playoffs, but these 3rd period comebacks are not sustainable. To make the playoffs we have to start every game like its the third period and improve our puck control and work on scoring first and keeping the pedal on the gas. No mercy.

Anyways...

GO FLAMES GO

Honestly I love the way things have been going. They have literally done everything I could have hoped for as far as drafts and. trades, pickups, and signings the last two years.

I do believe we could make the playoffs, but these 3rd period comebacks are not sustainable. To make the playoffs we have to start every game like its the third period and improve our puck control and work on scoring first and keeping the pedal on the gas. No mercy.

Anyways...

GO FLAMES GO

Totally agree with this. We have to improve our starts instead of always relying on coming back from behind. This will be the key to playoffs this year.

I see the playoffs in our future this year, success in the playoffs is another story. I do feel that the return of Colbrone may help Mony to produce more they just seem to play very well together. Backlund may come back and help in the puck control in the offensive zone. Raymond should help our top line produce more points which allows us to shift Glencross to another line which adds scoring and grit to any line.

I think the additions will help but thing  I feel we need the most is to remove the weak links and set lines. Allow the talented guys we have to get truly comfortable with there line mates. There could be more chemistry there than we can already see and lees mistakes once you know what your line mates habits are.

Get rid of Seto, wait till next year on Beartshi and put Jones on waivers.

If we are going to add players, I would be happy with a good third line Dman or even a good checking Dman to play on the second line and move Russel to the third line for now. He is more than a third line Dman but moving him would easily improve that line which seems to lack some hockey awareness at times.

And who knows maybe a strong RW  that can by in to what we have going. Chris Stewart would be my choice, we can afford to give him more than most teams will be offering him next year.

The return of Colborne and Raymond will help with goals in the first and second periods, Stajan will help on the pk and possesion time. 

And remember people during a rebuild we are not always happy with the choices that the higher ups make and among the forwards we have played this year 10 of them do not have contracts past this year, of course there are some of them that will be resigned but some do have to go our else you can't call it a rebuild.

Just my thoughts, the way I see it is this team will be making some moves very soon. I believe in the group we have and the right two additions could really put us over the top and finally make people believe in success instead of that lingering dream of McD. ( we are not getting him....lol)

I know this might seem far fetched but something along the lines of,

raymond-mony-colborne

gaudreau-granlund-hudler 

glencross-backlund-jones

bouma-stajan-jorris

mcgratten, byron

I dont think that lineup looks half bad, even if they dont all play on those lines, if backlund can return to last seasons form that looks good on paper.

I've always been a hedge my bets kind of person. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop sort of thing.

After 24 games, we sit third in the Pacific and tied for third in the Western Conference.

Yes, our third period heroics may be unsustainable, or maybe not.

All I know is our guys, the Cardiac Kids are playing their guts out with no end in sight. 

Can we make the playoffs? I am betting we will.

Will we go far? Why not? We have IMHO a better team than '04 and far superior to what the Oilers had in '06.

McDavid who?

Honestly, I don't care. The team believes they can win every game, even if they are behind after two. They fight for a plsyoff spot, they have so far no loosing streak.

I am taking it that way and as long as they can keep it that way, I will believe too! Because that is, what it is all about. To believe in the ability to win games.

It sure is quiet in here, on the naysayer front that is.  How many obstacles has this team overcome already this year?
First it was the 6 game road trip to start the season.  Passed.
Then it was the next 4 game road trip.  Passed.
Then it was the injuries.  Passing so far
The first three 7 game segments.  Passed
Then it was the next CA road trip.  Outscored 2 CA teams 4-3 combined.  Passed
US Thanksgiving (today) has historically been the measuring stick.  Passed
So, for the naysayers, what would you like the next obstacle to be?
I don’t know if they’ll make the playoffs, but I’m having fun watching this team play and win.

So, for the naysayers, what would you like the next obstacle to be?

My guess would be positioning at the All Star break.  Not only where we rank in division/conference/league, but how far ahead we are of the teams below us, or how far behind we are of the teams ahead of us.  To me, this would be the last hurdle until the end of the regular season.

One thing I am a little worried about is, how is the team going to respond when the regulars start coming back from injury. I am little concerned that there might be a let down as some players might stop pushing, now that reinforcements are arriving. Hartley has done a good job keeping everyone focused and pushing in the right direction, but I could see a slight step backwards when guys like Backlund, Raymond and Colborne make their way back into the lineup.

Archived