Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Second in the Pacific is very unlikely.  We would have to win 3 more games than Vancouver over the final 9 games.  If they win 4 or 5, we have to win 7 or 8 to pass them.  Unless they collapse or we go all Ottawa on the final 9 games, it looks like we're locked in for a battle for 3rd in the pacific and the final wild card spot. 

That is a super interesting race.  We're tied with LA, two points behind Winnipeg with a game in hand.  A win for either us or LA in the next game would be enough to leapfrog over Winnipeg given ROWs.  More importantly, we own the tie breaker against both of those teams.  So essentially, all we have to do is match LA's record down the stretch and/or match Winnipeg's record down the stretch while winning our game in hand, and we're in. 

Second in the Pacific is very unlikely.  We would have to win 3 more games than Vancouver over the final 9 games.  If they win 4 or 5, we have to win 7 or 8 to pass them.  Unless they collapse or we go all Ottawa on the final 9 games, it looks like we're locked in for a battle for 3rd in the pacific and the final wild card spot. 

That is a super interesting race.  We're tied with LA, two points behind Winnipeg with a game in hand.  A win for either us or LA in the next game would be enough to leapfrog over Winnipeg given ROWs.  More importantly, we own the tie breaker against both of those teams.  So essentially, all we have to do is match LA's record down the stretch and/or match Winnipeg's record down the stretch while winning our game in hand, and we're in. 

We need to maintain wins equal to LA to get in.  They win one, we have to win one in ROW.  Sure WPG has a tough schedule, but I wouldn't count on them losing one more game than us.

We need to maintain wins equal to LA to get in.  They win one, we have to win one in ROW.  Sure WPG has a tough schedule, but I wouldn't count on them losing one more game than us.

Not exactly. We're up two in ROW against LA and hold the head to head tiebreaker. So we only need to keep pace in wins, not ROWs. We can afford two shoot out wins against two ROWs from LA and still hold the tiebreaker.

As for Winnipeg, we don't need them to lose one more game than us. We just need to match their record (and win our game in hand).

If pressed, I would say LA takes 3rd in pacific and we take the wild card. But holding onto 3rd would be huge. It's the difference between Vancouver and St. Louis in the first round. There is no doubt I'd rather face van...

The focus I think should be matching LA's number of wins the rest of the way. That guarantees us 3rd in Pacific.

With nine games left, there's almost no chance that we even go to three shootouts, let alone win three, so just have to focus on the wins.

Doing that might allow us to catch Winnipeg as well, but that wouldn't be my focus.

We're in a good position, but every game is basically "must win" mentality.

We're done.  We won't make the playoffs.  Playoff teams beat non-playoff teams especially down the stretch when the season is on the line.  If the Flames can't beat Colorado, Dallas, Columbus, then they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.  The Flames just aren't a playoff team.

(it's okay, all I have to do is believe we won't make the playoffs and we'll make it.  It's worked all year!)

We are in tough now.  The boys are starting to look tired out there.  At a minimum we must go 5-3 down the stretch.  Otherwise we are going to need some help.  Our saving grace may just be that we play winnipeg, who is the more likely team for us to catch in my opinion.

I wouldn't say we are done or that we are tired. This is how we have played all year. Teams have spent a lot of time in our end and we counter with skill. We haven't dominated or possessed the puck for long periods during games. We weather a storm and then react. That is still happening.

We have the same chance as we have always had. Non playoff teams try too. This Dallas team, this Colorado team were playoff teams last year and both aren't that different this year aside from the standings. They're going to give teams fighting for the playoffs a hard time. That includes Columbus. They're tough teams.

It's Edm and Tor where we would have to worry about if we lost to them.

I'm not ready to call it quits just yet, but we did not pick up the points we needed this homestand.  We needed at least one more point to remain in control.  As it stands now, we have eight games left.  We play Minny next (hottest team in the west I believe), then Nashville (one of the top guns), Dallas (toss-up), St Louis (another tough one), Edmonton (should win), Arizona (one of the coldest teams), LA (unstoppable right now), and Wpg (must win).  I only see about three probable wins and a couple overtime losses in there, so we need to beat a couple teams that are ahead of us.  Dallas, Edmonton and Arizona are must wins down the stretch, and since we should be targeting the wild card in my opinion, we also must win against Wpg.  We still need two more points from that pack.  Won't be easy.

That said, Jets fans have to be thinking the way we are right now.  They have a one point lead on us, and their final eight are also not friendly. Montreal tonight, followed by the Blackhawks and the Rangers.  It is conceivable they lose all three.  That's followed up by Vancouver, Minnesota, St. Louis, Colorado and the Flames.  In other words, they play two teams that are below them in the standings from here to the end, and one of those two is us.  Now that I think about, 95 points just might be the magic number since we hold the better ROW.

Go Flames Go! 

We aren't the only teams losing. All of these teams we are losing against are beating other playoff teams as well.

Plus, we have 6 points in our last 4 games. That's pretty good. In fact, if we get one point in the next 3 games we are still even on the 8 points in 7 games pace they set for themselves.

We need to stay within 2 points of LA. If we do that we get a free game 7 to make the playoffs.

I think it ll be very tough now. With games coming up against the Wild, Preds and Blues, those are gonna be very tough games to win. Not to mention the final two are against the Kings who are playing better then we ve seen earlier in the season and the Jets who are also playing very tough.

I think I may just count us out this year just to make myself feel better, But we will be a lot better next year!

GO FLAMES GO!!!

We all know the saying about "When the going gets tough" & I have confidence we will.

Rock & Roll time. This team has done nothing other than impress the whole year. Do we need to let the other teams lose for us? No, we just need to keep winning like we have been. We are great against the West, and specifically, the Pacific. Let the other teams wring their hands.

Every time I look at the OOT scoreboard.

deathbulge-comics-dinosaurs-t-rex-193796

Its very unlikely that we manage to make the playoffs the way things are going out there at this point. One point back of LA, 3 behind WPG and Van

Our next four games all look like losses: Wild, Preds, Stars, Blues....

Edmonton and Arizona are 'should wins', but oh wait...so were both Colorado games and Dallas, and we picked up 3 of 6 points...

Not a good time for the team to be missing the easy ones. 

We're going to have to beat at least 2 if not 3 of those next teams. Nashville we've managed to beat twice, the wild and Blues have our numbers though...

At this point, if we lose the tie-breaker and LA gets 2 or 3 points up on us we can call it a season sadly.

Stinks to lose the playoff spot we've held essentially all year in the last 3 weeks....

Archived