Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

0fe5f6c0a747a3136758a866b39d2350.png

The easiest schedule belongs to the Flames and Vancouver, but those three LA-Van games will be critical. Min and Wpg have the toughest schedule, but Min seems unstoppable right now. Wpg will be in tough with both Buff and Little out at the moment. San Jose has the fewest points of these teams and is one more loss in a row from more or less being done. La has the most control over their destiny with the most games against teams they are competing with for a playoff spot.

Trying to make it a bit easier to read...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well at least Colorado beat Minny tonight.

A loss won't kill us, but it certainly didn't help us.

Ramo got ventilated. Sad, I was hoping he'd found some consistency. I don't know why but he's plagued by 3-4 games of great play and then a blowout. Its almost predictable. And its painful.

This should be a lesson though, that just because we have the "easier" schedule, these non-playoff teams are still a professional NHL club capable of beating us.

Ramo got ventilated. Sad, I was hoping he'd found some consistency. I don't know why but he's plagued by 3-4 games of great play and then a blowout. Its almost predictable. And its painful.

This should be a lesson though, that just because we have the "easier" schedule, these non-playoff teams are still a professional NHL club capable of beating us.

Yes and a lot of this is just the Flames being a young team. A bad night of goaltending usually starts with some poor team play or the D missing assignments.

Cant really blame Ramo. Team was very flat to start and didnt show up until the 3rd. 

Regardless of what our schedule is we can not take games lightly. Teams out side the playoffs are more dangerous than one's that are in a playoff spot as they have nothing to lose. If the magic number is 95 than we need, 9 more wins or 18 points out of 17 games. We could be in a spot by March 27th if we run the table in March. 

RIP Buffalo.  :(  Now you can take wild chances, develop your rooks in an NHL setting, and play spoiler.

I was out visiting & watched the Flames game until 5 mins into the 3rd with the score 4-0.

Huge mistake hitting the road as I finally got back to the game & it was going into OT. What a surprise!

JH's & Hudler's SO goals were highlight reel worthy. With this team no lead is safe! :)

2014-15%20Playoff%20Projection%202015-0326493

We are only one point back of Wpg and two back of Minny, so don't rule out a wildcard berth just yet. Minny seems unstoppable at the moment, so despite the tougher schedule the seem unlikely to falter (although they did lose tonight). Wpg in my mind is the most likely to fall out, they have started to struggle a bit with key injuries. And lets not forget the LACKluster canucks who are without their starting goalie for a few games still.

Long way to climb for San Jose, they need a win streak really bad right now. Just a point ahead of the surging avs to boot.

The X means there is no mathematical possibility of reaching the projected wild card cut-off.

i.e Carolina has 57 pts with 18 games left. Assuming 18-0-0 record max pts are 57+36=93 pts.

As Eastern Conference cut-off currently projected for 97 pts the X indicates attaining that is mathematically impossible.

It is still possible that the top teams collapse & the cut-off dramatically decreases so it is still possible to make playoffs.

As for Buffalo, they have now officially been eliminated & must now douse their tiki torch.

43 pts with 16 games remaining. Assuming 16-0-0 record max pts are 43+32=75 pts.

Tonight Boston reached 76 pts becoming the 8th Eastern team to have greater than 75 pts; thus Buffalo is eliminated.

I was on the road and started streaming in the 2nd when it was 3-0, I turned it off right away and thought this was the one they'd not comeback in. The end of the longest trip, easy enough to mail in the rest.

I Thought, well they did it before, but I thought if they kept it to three and got one, just one to start the comeback they might be able to. One before the third, one in the first ten minutes and one at the end, OT, then thought, "nawwwww" and continued driving.

I'd not have thought they'd get 4 in the 3rd. WOW!

All of the teams we are in a race with (Vancouver, Minnesota, LA, Winnipeg) play a game before we do.  Vancouver and LA are using their game in hand.  Wednesday will be a big game.  If LA wins we will need to win just to stay in a playoff spot.  If Vancouver loses we will have an opportunity to move up a spot in the Pacific.  That is how tight it is. 

I see us keeping the 3rd spot and possibly overtaking Vancouver for 2nd. I think LA will take the 2nd wild card spot and Winnipeg will fall short. Minnesota will keep their wild card spot.

Dubnyk has started 24 straight & is 18-4-1 as goaltender of record.

Minny is 8-2-0 in the last 10.

If Dubnyk can't keep it up or is injured the Wild are back to the same muddle in net.

Anaheim shoud beat Vancouver today.

Pittsburg should beat San Jose.

St. Louis likely beats Winnipeg.

But I suspect that Minny will handle New Jersy easily, and LA will take down Colorado.

The good news is that regardless of the outcome of any of these games, we do not move from our current playoff spot before we play on Wednesday since we hold the ROW Tiebreaker over the LAK even if they win in regulation.

Anaheim shoud beat Vancouver today.

Pittsburg should beat San Jose.

St. Louis likely beats Winnipeg.

But I suspect that Minny will handle New Jersy easily, and LA will take down Colorado.

The good news is that regardless of the outcome of any of these games, we do not move from our current playoff spot before we play on Wednesday since we hold the ROW Tiebreaker over the LAK even if they win in regulation.

I don't consider any games to be "most likely" at this time of the year, unless it is in reference to EDM. NJD is in a playoff fight for their lives. They have some talent, and could surprise, while Minny is riding unsustainable luck.

I don't consider any games to be "most likely" at this time of the year, unless it is in reference to EDM. NJD is in a playoff fight for their lives. They have some talent, and could surprise, while Minny is riding unsustainable luck.

Be careful throwing that word around.  There's another team in the NHL that has some eye-popping stats that a lot of people say is unsustainable. ;)

Be careful throwing that word around.  There's another team in the NHL that has some eye-popping stats that a lot of people say is unsustainable. ;)

I know. I think Minny is better in the fancy stats dept. But they are riding a hot goalie to 1-goal and shutout wins. :)

Until Dubynck actually does falter, I hesitate to call it unsustainable.

Both Ottawa and Minny are pushing hard for the playoffs, and show no signs of slowing.

A month ago I thought Minny would be the team to just miss the playoffs, now I'd be surprised if they don't sneak into a Central Division spot.

4- way race with LA, Van, CAL and WPG. Would love to see all three canadian teams get in over the Kings.

Of all the team's fighting for spots, I can't help but think that we are wildly entertaining and utterly treachourous.

We just gotta make it, and all bets are off imho.

Every game is playoffs this time of year, the Flames benefit from sharp and frustrating coacing.

Tortawho? Hartley ate him up didn't he?

"oh, your buddons are rite der torts, okay, I wont press dem.

Ope-a-lah, sorry der guy".

Love it.

#fingerscrossed

Archived