Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

We can leapforg Min with a win tomorrow though. I expect that its a three way battle with them and the Jets for those last two unless Vancouver finally goes on a skid (which would be nice).

Also concerning is SJS is one up on Detroit so they're still in tight.

We are actually closer to Vancouver in points then Minnesota.  I keep flip flopping on who we are most likely to knock out.  But realistically we are in a battle with MIN, WPG, VAN, LA, and SJS for two spots in our division and the two wild card spots.  Two of those teams aren't going to make it.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are actually closer to Vancouver in points then Minnesota.  I keep flip flopping on who we are most likely to knock out.  But realistically we are in a battle with MIN, WPG, VAN, LA, and SJS for two spots in our division and the two wild card spots.  Two of those teams aren't going to make it.  

The way I see it there is only one sure way of making the playoffs, and that is by keeping one of VAN or LA behind us.  Everything else is secondary.  If we find ourselves behind both these teams as we are now then we are in trouble.  WPG improved with trade, MIN has been on fire, it’s early but wild card doesn’t look good.  LA has been heating up as well, I think our playoff aspirations must come at the expense of VAN.  Their losing skid may have started in BUF this evening and they now have STL, SJ x 2, ANA and LA in their head lights.

We're 3 points behind VAN, and 1 point behind MIN - all with 61 games played. Not sure how we're closer to Van.

Or did you mean WPG? 4 points back, but 2 games in hand (but of course, so do the others also)

Yup.  I meant WPG.  Whoops.

The way I see it there is only one sure way of making the playoffs, and that is by keeping one of VAN or LA behind us.  Everything else is secondary.  If we find ourselves behind both these teams as we are now then we are in trouble.  WPG improved with trade, MIN has been on fire, it’s early but wild card doesn’t look good.  LA has been heating up as well, I think our playoff aspirations must come at the expense of VAN.  Their losing skid may have started in BUF this evening and they now have STL, SJ x 2, ANA and LA in their head lights.

I said it above a ways, but I originally saw this as Vancouver vs Calgary for getting in.  But then they heated up and Winnipeg cooled off.  Its honestly too early to determine who we are directly up against since a hot team today can be a cold team tomorrow (and vise versa).  

That said, this was a huge game for Vancouver and they lost it to Buffalo.  They can't be happy about that.  

Yup.  I meant WPG.  Whoops.

I said it above a ways, but I originally saw this as Vancouver vs Calgary for getting in.  But then they heated up and Winnipeg cooled off.  Its honestly too early to determine who we are directly up against since a hot team today can be a cold team tomorrow (and vise versa).  

That said, this was a huge game for Vancouver and they lost it to Buffalo.  They can't be happy about that.  

ABC and we are in!

I agree. They looked flatter then a flat tire tonight. Unless if they win 4 or 5 in a row I really can't see them pulling through if they keep playing like this. The longer Gio is out, then the lower our chances are of making the playoffs. This needs to make some trades to stay competitive

Sorry, but I give the Flames the benefit of the doubt this season. The way Ramo is playing, the defense stepping up for Gio, and keeping 3 teams in or trying to make the playoffs to 3 goals (4 including an EN) says something. They have faced adversity before: Raymond, Backlund and their 5th D-man out for extended games. Stajan out, Jones, out, GlenX out, you name it.

Gio is the heart and soul of the team, but the bones and muscles are still there. Hartley has to figure out what to do about scoring, since Bouma's and GlenX's lines has gone cold. Part of the reason is that we have last change, so we may have to split up the top two lines to give a different look.

Down the stretch, the Flames final 20 games of the season, 9 games are against non-playoff teams, and 3 against bubble teams (1 game each against WPG, LAK, and MIN).  The Flames fate is still in their hands.

I didn't look to deeply into this, but in comparison, the Kings have 6 games remaining against non-playoff teams, the Wild have 4, and the Jets just 3.

Go Flames Go!

Sorry, but I give the Flames the benefit of the doubt this season. The way Ramo is playing, the defense stepping up for Gio, and keeping 3 teams in or trying to make the playoffs to 3 goals (4 including an EN) says something. They have faced adversity before: Raymond, Backlund and their 5th D-man out for extended games. Stajan out, Jones, out, GlenX out, you name it.

Ramo has played amazing and they have still lost and failed to score more then 1 goal. Thats the issue. Doesnt matter how good the goaltending is if the Flames cant score. 

Well Iggy can still help the flames out tonight, even though he's now on Colorado. All they have to do is shut down Minny and get a win.

Then Minny drops into the Grey zone too and its a battle for both of us.

GO AVALANCHE!!

also, for the SJS game GO SENS!

It would be nice to get help. However when you have to rely on others to fail in order to succeed in sports, just doesn't work. We have to win to get in, simply as that.

It would be nice to get help. However when you have to rely on others to fail in order to succeed in sports, just doesn't work. We have to win to get in, simply as that.

Absolutely agree. The Flames are masters of their own destiny. Even if the teams above us lose the Flames still have to win for it to matter. I still believe they can get in but they are certainly painting themselves into a corner with the lack of scoring lately.

Absolutely agree. The Flames are masters of their own destiny. Even if the teams above us lose the Flames still have to win for it to matter. I still believe they can get in but they are certainly painting themselves into a corner with the lack of scoring lately.

They used to be. But as a club on the outside they aren't anymore. They will need to win games AND have another team lose games to make it in at this point.

At this very time of year both this season and last, what's the biggest difference?

Last year we were way out of the playoff picture and started winning.

This season, we are around the playoff bubble and fighting for a spot.

It goes to show how hard it is to make it when you're in the midst of it all. Good learning experience.

At this very time of year both this season and last, what's the biggest difference?

Last year we were way out of the playoff picture and started winning.

This season, we are around the playoff bubble and fighting for a spot.

It goes to show how hard it is to make it when you're in the midst of it all. Good learning experience.

Difference is we are not fading when the other western teams have stepped up their games for the playoff push. We are still hanging in there.

I think it could be time to break-up the Gaudreau, Monahan and Hudler line so that we can spread out some offense. 

Hudler can spread out some passing with other players. 

Maybe bring back the Monahan and Colborne line from last year? Or try Gaudreau with Colborne. I feel like Colborne can make some space out there with his size and he tends to use it well sometimes. 

I don't know what the lines would look like, but it's worth a shot to try different combos, especially if other teams are keen on stopping that one line. 

Difference is we are not fading when the other western teams have stepped up their games for the playoff push. We are still hanging in there.

But I think that other teams are stepping up against us more than they did last year, which is why we're seeing it harder to win games. At this time of year last year, we had that surge but teams weren't necessarily honing in on us like they are this year. We're also seeing starting goaltenders this year, whereas last year we consistently saw the back-ups. 

I agree we're not fading though, there's just a reason why it's tougher to score now, and why it's harder to win games this year.

At this time of year that is...

Archived