Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard it said many times during this season that their pressure, intensity, and I dunno, "willpower" (for lack of a better term) was unsustainable and they'll start burning out.

Looks like it's happening.

That game last night was like watching a chimp make a jigsaw puzzle :wacko:. Not sure if it is fatigue but the mental breakdowns and poor goal tending are abundant as of late, what ever it is they need to turn it around quick

I know they won last night and in going to sound like a downer but I think there are lots of reasons to be concerned about their game right now. Last night they win in the back of Ortio, period, and the pattern is emerging of then getting outplayed in a consistent basis and having either great goal tending or a couple of bounces help then win. I think it's been a while since I've watch a game and came away impressed with the effort and thinking they were easily the better team. Now you've got Colorado finally playing to its potential and right on your heels with Dallas also not too far behind and you still remain out of a playoff spot.

A young team is likely to plateau so I'm not concerned about the makeup. I think a big reason for the recent play is that johnny basically has been their offence for a while now and I think his game has really levelled off recently which is to be expected for a player in their rookie season.

I know they won last night and in going to sound like a downer but I think there are lots of reasons to be concerned about their game right now. Last night they win in the back of Ortio, period, and the pattern is emerging of then getting outplayed in a consistent basis and having either great goal tending or a couple of bounces help then win. I think it's been a while since I've watch a game and came away impressed with the effort and thinking they were easily the better team. Now you've got Colorado finally playing to its potential and right on your heels with Dallas also not too far behind and you still remain out of a playoff spot.

A young team is likely to plateau so I'm not concerned about the makeup. I think a big reason for the recent play is that johnny basically has been their offence for a while now and I think his game has really levelled off recently which is to be expected for a player in their rookie season.

The team hasn't been playing consistently lately, which I attribute to line-up chemistry changes and the normal ups and downs of a long season. The win last night wasn't only on Ortio, the team played a solid D game giving up very few excellent chances. I'm really not concerned about looking like the better team, it's the bottom line that counts. It's not like other teams are any different, ie needing goaltending and bounces too. They are still in the hunt, they just need to win.

Who will be our C's for next year is guesswork right now and this will play into who possibly becomes Wingers. Out of the eventual rearrangements manage has to make some decisions on who to trade. Bear in mind if we want to obtain any top 4 F potentials some value from the Flames side will have to go in any deal.

The other part of these decisions will be trying not to go to young to fast unless the player being replaced has been over taken with the talent taking his place. Also we cannot forget meeting the minimum floor within the cap rules.

I think the players that should be considered as trade chips are Glencross, Stajan, Jones, Byron and Smid.

2016 Line Up speculated.

Raymond, Monahan, Colborne

Gaudreau, Bennett, Hudler

Granlund, Backlund, Jooris

Bollig, Knight, Bouma

Baertschi, Reinhart

Giordano, Brodie

NEW, Wideman

Russell, Engelland

Wotherspoon

Ramos, Hiller

Wow, not only is Knight already gone, but no Poirier, Klimchuck, Smith, Ortio, Sielof, Culkin, 2015 1st(etc) or any trades except 1 new D.

More likely an additional/different 5-6 players TBD...

For sure there is reason to be concerned. Mony was used in a shutdown role for so long, he has forgotten how to score. Lineups are looking more like "who to play Johnny with to help their offense" than "who has chemistry". GlenX is starting to look like he is going through the motions. Byron's finish has disappeared. Jones is not scoring (again). The defense is not getting as many scoring chances. The powerplay has dried up.

Scoring has dried up (except for the FLA game).

The good things are still there. Johnny, Hudler, Backlund, Brodano. Johnny's game is consistent, while his linemates are not. It's hard for his line to do much, if they don't win a faceoff in the O-zone (Backs was 0-6). Monahan needs to get away from GlenX for a bit. GlenX should play with Stajan and Bollig, maybe.

It's funny, but the Flames play better when they have little time off. This last stretch has been strange. They played a better offense game after some rest, but the goalie and defense sucked. With no time off, and an away game, they played better in goal and defense, but couldn't generate offense.

With Jooris out, we should be calling up Arnold and sending back Granny. Granlund needs to get his offense back (and start winning faceoffs again). Arnold is pretty good at faceoffs.

Well to start this was posted prior to Knight being traded and I am well aware other moves will effect what I have here possibly.

Outside of Ortio and Culkin, I have not seen the other players you mention play at the NHL level yet so NO I haven't slotted them in.

I have used Bennett in my scenario and Reinhart can move into the 4th line C for this purpose.

YES I am assuming at some point the trading of some assets will net us a top 4 type Dman and I'm not to concerned after that we wouldn't have a decent last pairing and spare.

I like the way this rebuild is going and we need to keep getting some of the players we have playing the right positions.

For sure there is reason to be concerned. Mony was used in a shutdown role for so long, he has forgotten how to score. Lineups are looking more like "who to play Johnny with to help their offense" than "who has chemistry". GlenX is starting to look like he is going through the motions. Byron's finish has disappeared. Jones is not scoring (again). The defense is not getting as many scoring chances. The powerplay has dried up.Scoring has dried up (except for the FLA game).The good things are still there. Johnny, Hudler, Backlund, Brodano. Johnny's game is consistent, while his linemates are not. It's hard for his line to do much, if they don't win a faceoff in the O-zone (Backs was 0-6). Monahan needs to get away from GlenX for a bit. GlenX should play with Stajan and Bollig, maybe.It's funny, but the Flames play better when they have little time off. This last stretch has been strange. They played a better offense game after some rest, but the goalie and defense sucked. With no time off, and an away game, they played better in goal and defense, but couldn't generate offense.With Jooris out, we should be calling up Arnold and sending back Granny. Granlund needs to get his offense back (and start winning faceoffs again). Arnold is pretty good at faceoffs.

Not too much concern, just need to keep progressing. Monahan is ahead of last year, Byron never had finishing and GlenX is doing quite well actually.

Well to start this was posted prior to Knight being traded and I am well aware other moves will effect what I have here possibly.

Outside of Ortio and Culkin, I have not seen the other players you mention play at the NHL level yet so NO I haven't slotted them in.

I have used Bennett in my scenario and Reinhart can move into the 4th line C for this purpose.

YES I am assuming at some point the trading of some assets will net us a top 4 type Dman and I'm not to concerned after that we wouldn't have a decent last pairing and spare.

I like the way this rebuild is going and we need to keep getting some of the players we have playing the right positions.

Still, I believe your line-up not bad for Fall 2015 but way too few likely changes for Fall 2016.

I agree they have not been playing great, but with JH teams are just just keying on the kid now. He has taken a few good hits, he seems tentative again which is understandable. I kind of figured this may happen, be nice to have another skilled guy that could divert some of the attention from JH.

Yea the younger players are tiring out by this time in the season.  Gaudreau has slowed slightly but others have slowed more, like Monahan hasn't scored in a long time.  Colborne hasn't been the same since he returned from injury.  Jooris slowed down.  Granlund slowed down.  Byron, same thing. 

It's time for veterans like Stajan, Raymond, and Jones to step up.

You could be right about more changes. I would be ok with what I have as a further advance with the rebuild.

What you have is a good start. I'm very interested in what comes down the next 6 weeks. So far this year the right things have happened, e.g. Setoguchi and Mcgratton, even if it's taken too long for each. Hopefully we'll see at least another 4 moves before the TDL.

I would love to see 4 of the following moved for either picks and/or a younger D: Stajan, Byron, Jones, Hiller/Ramo, Raymond, Engelland, Smid, Wideman, GlenX... And on the farm: Mcgratton, Setoguchi, Reinhart and few others...

My biggest concern is the last couple of months march and April most important time of the yr they have the flames on a very tuff road schedule with some very strong teams and those teams are getting ready to kick but to place for home game advantage. If they stick with the team they have right now it is going to be very hard to make it into the wild card. The question is do we start mucking with the team or give it another yr get a high pick this yr and go with some very good talent from the farm and Bennett  plus what we pick for the future. Although I don't have much faith in the B team after the first selection hopefully they don't screw that up but after the first they scare me this yrs picks were not what I call well thought out. 

My biggest concern is the last couple of months march and April most important time of the yr they have the flames on a very tuff road schedule with some very strong teams and those teams are getting ready to kick but to place for home game advantage. If they stick with the team they have right now it is going to be very hard to make it into the wild card. The question is do we start mucking with the team or give it another yr get a high pick this yr and go with some very good talent from the farm and Bennett  plus what we pick for the future. Although I don't have much faith in the B team after the first selection hopefully they don't screw that up but after the first they scare me this yrs picks were not what I call well thought out. 

Another that didn't like last year's picks, even though we directly addressed our biggest weaknesses, ie RW and D. Yeah, I get it with the G pick, but the draft is 7 players, not 1 and so far those 7 are looking just fine. We'll know much better in 2-3 years.

Another that didn't like last year's picks, even though we directly addressed our biggest weaknesses, ie RW and D. Yeah, I get it with the G pick, but the draft is 7 players, not 1 and so far those 7 are looking just fine. We'll know much better in 2-3 years.

Hunter Smith is putting up some decent numbers and will better his stats from last season, which is always a good sign of progress.  At 6'-7" RW RH Shot, he's one guy i hope does indeed pan out.

Hunter Smith is putting up some decent numbers and will better his stats from last season, which is always a good sign of progress.  At 6'-7" RW RH Shot, he's one guy i hope does indeed pan out.

Agreed, and I believe Hickey, Carroll and even Mcdonald are doing better this year as well. Not much info on Mattson.

As far as D goes, one I forgot on an earlier post is our Russian, Rafikov who looked pretty solid at the World Juniors... and is expected to come over next Fall and compete for a job but probably will go to the AHL to get immersed in our systems and play on the smaller ice surface.

2014-15PlayoffProjection2015-01-17_zps97

FInally back into the wild card position. A considerable feat considering that hideous losing streak.

Still a 12 team race in the West with Edmonton & Arizona out.

In the East it looks like it is down to 9 teams with Toronto & Ottawa on the outside with only a longshot chance. 10687

It's going to be tough. Unless Winnipeg or Vancouver fall off significantly we are going to have to beat LA or San Jose for the final wildcard spot. I just can't see either of those teams missing the playoffs.

Tomorrow nights game against LA is going to be huge. Biggest game if the year for us to this point.

So far, Vancouver could be trending down. I hope that continues.

With those losses we had on the losing streaks we recently went through, we needed those loser points. Getting to OT is huge for staying in the race, that's if we're going to lose.

Maybe. Though they shut out their last two opponents.

I think people forget that the Canucks were a great team to start last year too. They collapsed in the back half of the year mostly due to Torts and their goaltending. Vancouver is a good hockey team and one personally I don't see falling out of the picture.

Archived