Josh Jooris

So I'm curious what do you guys think of Jooris. What do you like or dislike about his game? What do you think he can potentially become in the future. Will he be good enough to eventually earn a full time nhl job?

Capitalized on his chances. Thought he had a good game. Didn't see anything bad from him.

I think he might make a decent 3rd/4th liner with some offensive upside.

Capitalized on his chances. Thought he had a good game. Didn't see anything bad from him.

I think he might make a decent 3rd/4th liner with some offensive upside.

He's fast, a buzz saw out there, plays PK and can finish. Plays great with Gaudreau/Bennett, he's the BEST RW option I've seen to date on the team. Hudler's good too but perhaps not the PK. Definitely beats out Bollig, Jones and Setoguchi.

If the Flames are truly putting the best players forward, he's got an inside track at RW.

He gives a 100% every shift, seems to have really taken to heart his opportunity and has grown over the past year. That's the epitome of the culture the Flames have instilled here.  That, nd the fact no other RW has done much with the exception of Hudler gives him a good shot.

BB must be chagrined, the skill guys bubbling to the top.  Some of the bigger guys too.... maybe THAT'S the vision he has for the team?

I think his ceiling is limited. But I think he has earned some NHL time to see how he does. I like him better then Bollig for example.

Exactly right, its important to keep things in perspective, this is preseason and allot of guys tend to shine until they start playing meaningful hockey. With that said Joorish has certainly earned himself a good long look, maybe give him the same 9 games that a Jr would be entitled too to see if he can carry his play over.

I had him at 23 on my list of the Top 25 Flames prospects.

23C Josh Jooris, Abbotsford Heat (AHL) [14/07/90]

[6'1", 190 pds][Righty][PROSPECT GRADE: B+]
[73 GP, 11 G, 16 A, 27 Pts, 67 PIM, +/-0][NHL Comparable: Blake Comeau]
Potential Peak: 3rd line two-way forward
Projection: 3rd/4th line energy forward, 15-25 point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: High, might be nothing more than a tweener in the pros
Offense: 8.0
Defense: 8.0
Physicality: 8.0
Skating: 8.5
Intangibles: 8.0
NHL-Readiness: 7.5
Potential: 7.0

Aggregate Score: 55.0

Strengths:
-sparkplug player; keeps his feet moving and never quits on a play
-underrated offensive skill and good scoring abilities
Weaknesses:
-still needs some work to do defensively
-doesn’t possess a dynamic offensive game

That being said, he's gone beyond my expectations thus far, and that's saying something because I really liked his game when he was on the Heat last year and felt he could come into camp and surprise.

If he becomes a Blake Comeau minus all the concussions, then that's a reliable depth player right there.

That being said, he's gone beyond my expectations thus far, and that's saying something because I really liked his game when he was on the Heat last year and felt he could come into camp and surprise.

If he becomes a Blake Comeau minus all the concussions, then that's a reliable depth player right there.

He had a good camp last year, and I found myself cheering for him.  This year, he has been playing more complete rosters, and still keeping up the game.  I'm glad that he has pushed past Hanowski as a RW prospect, seeing as we were a little light in that area; RW RHS. 

I think we haven't seen enough of his shot to guage him completely.  His finishing is close quarters around the net, which probably is what Comeau's bread and butter was.  He seems to have better hands, though.  Offense tended to end on Comeau's stick, whereas Jooris has the ability to finish.

I like Josh Jooris. I see him as a skilled third liner who can jump to second if injuries arise or play on fourth if we run it as an energy line rather then a goon line. Works hard every shift, has a bit of a finishing touch. Wouldn't expect too much out of him points-wise but don't see him being useless. Probably not a huge ceiling but I could see him being a consistant 30-40 point player (40 if he sees some time on the Powerplay and Second line, 30 being straight up third-liner).

Guys like Josh and Paul Byron are perfect role players for a rebuilding team, there hungry, show up every night and do the little things right. These are the types that the Oilers, Panthers, etc... have been missing from there rebuilds, instead there roster consists of high end rookies and veterans that expect to be written write in to the line up. Here in Calgary we have kids that are going to push everyone on this team day in and day out, either you show up and play hard or loose out to someone else who will give 110%. There's more value in these guys then what you see on the stat sheet.

I agree his ceiling is limited. IMO he'll be a reliable depth player and likely not a full time NHLer I think he'll bounce back and forth between the two and maybe man th 4thline on a bad team. I do like him though because he is always going and always finding a way to get involved in the game. I just don't see the skill level that will allow him to capitalize on that and you need that to stick in the NHL full time. As it stand right now though he could very likely be in this team because IMO he's an ideal 13th forward.

• 1 month later...

I'm starting to wonder if there is a better comparable for Jooris. He can finish at high speeds, PK and PP abilities, and is fairly strong on the puck. I like his chances at staying on the team this season, since he has already surpassed expectations, and he is more versatile than a Setoguchi.

Is there anybody that doesn't think he is the Setoguchi replacement this season?

I'm starting to wonder if there is a better comparable for Jooris. He can finish at high speeds, PK and PP abilities, and is fairly strong on the puck. I like his chances at staying on the team this season, since he has already surpassed expectations, and he is more versatile than a Setoguchi.

Is there anybody that doesn't think he is the Setoguchi replacement this season?

Comeau had a 30 goal season at one point. I still think he tops out as a bottom 6 energy guy. Hes playing great right now and seems to have a lot of chemistry going on the 3rd line.

Comeau had a 30 goal season at one point. I still think he tops out as a bottom 6 energy guy. Hes playing great right now and seems to have a lot of chemistry going on the 3rd line.

Comeau bothered me as a guy who couldn't handle the puck, and who could only slap in a rebound.  That is where I felt the comparison was off.  Jooris is a bottom 6 in my mind, much like Bouma with a little more skill and finish.

Archived