The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

On 2019-01-14 at 9:38 AM, cross16 said:

City has finalized it's 50 year plan for Victoria Park and given some insight into what the area can look like with a new Events Center and no Saddledome

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/victoria-park-saddledome-arena-council-1.4972389

I am not a city planner, but it seems wasteful to demolish the Saddledome. I hope that they do not let it fall apart like Edmonton did with Rexall. 

8 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I am not a city planner, but it seems wasteful to demolish the Saddledome. I hope that they do not let it fall apart like Edmonton did with Rexall. 

I played a few beer league games in the Stampede Coral and it's a nice experience knowing NHLers used to play there and use the locker rooms and such.  Saddledome would be nice to keep even if it's just an arena for future community use and beer league games.  There's enough seats there for all my fans... 

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I played a few beer league games in the Stampede Coral and it's a nice experience knowing NHLers used to play there and use the locker rooms and such.  Saddledome would be nice to keep even if it's just an arena for future community use and beer league games.  There's enough seats there for all my fans... 

But i'm sure they could take out the seats and put in smaller ones if you're playing Peeps.....they'll only be using the edge of them anyway.....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The_People1 said:

When I lived in the 'peg, we rented the Winnipeg Arena on weekends at midnight. It was a dive of course, but it was kewl playing in an NHL arena. 

On 12/15/2018 at 9:01 AM, Cowtownguy said:

CBC released a story today about an arena design presented to council by the Flames. Why did they hire an architect from Detroit to design it? Surely, architecture is sufficiently advanced in Canada that we can design arenas.

I won't support an arena for Calgary drawn up by any American architect.. Have they no clue down there that it's winterish 8 months of the year up here?? All our malls across the country are being converted to outside walking malls and the parking lots have 20 miles of curbs.. They not understand the concept of freezing your assets or plowing snow??there is never an area to pull up temporarily in front of these malls to pick up a person so they don't have to shop with skates on to get to their vehicle afterwards

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

I won't support an arena for Calgary drawn up by any American architect.. Have they no clue down there that it's winterish 8 months of the year up here?? All our malls across the country are being converted to outside walking malls and the parking lots have 20 miles of curbs.. They not understand the concept of freezing your assets or plowing snow??there is never an area to pull up temporarily in front of these malls to pick up a person so they don't have to shop with skates on to get to their vehicle afterwards

They have winters in Detroit.  And a brand new arena that I'm sure will hold up to the elements. The MTS centre in winnipeg was designed by an American firm and theres been zero issues with it holding up to our winters. Dont get me wrong, I'm in favor of using Canadian talent but a developer/architect doesnt get a big contract like this by not knowing what they're doing.

2 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

I agree with you because, from what I gather, most Canadian architectural firms are branch plants from the US anyways. Given we are spending bank on this, why not improve our knowledge base? Look at all of those companies in Qatar, Emirates etc. They spend a lot of money on projects like this, but ensure that there is real development taking place. After spending over .5 billion, we should ensure that we get as much out of this as is possible.

Peeps has argued that we would likely need Chinese or US steel. My understanding is that we have modernized our small steel industry far ahead of the US plants. I am just not sure about how much we produce these days.

On 1/19/2019 at 9:50 AM, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

They have winters in Detroit.  And a brand new arena that I'm sure will hold up to the elements. The MTS centre in winnipeg was designed by an American firm and theres been zero issues with it holding up to our winters. Dont get me wrong, I'm in favor of using Canadian talent but a developer/architect doesnt get a big contract like this by not knowing what they're doing.

everything built by Yankees here in Calgary

seems to come from California.. They don't hire eastern bums and scums for jackSatoshi Nakamoto out this way

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Not really. Only difference is instead of tying it into a West Village concept it's now an East Village/Rivers vision. Same message though.

Caveat being we don't know how the talks have been progressing with the Flames and whether or not they are willing to put in more. This vision has been out there for a while, but are the Flames willing to negotiate and be fair this time is the big question. 

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Good to hear.  Hope this gets the ball rolling in the right direction.

I would consider this to be round 2 of negotiations? I wonder how many rounds are preordained before the actual deal is done. I have read articles which stated that it took over a decade to solidify their contracts. Perhaps we have been negotiating for longer than I know, or we are more direct than Edmontonians, but I don't see why we would expect our arena any faster than the Oilers.

It sure would be nice to get a complex that houses the Stamps as well. If they already need a new stadium, why revisit this issue again in a few years?

6 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I would consider this to be round 2 of negotiations? I wonder how many rounds are preordained before the actual deal is done. I have read articles which stated that it took over a decade to solidify their contracts. Perhaps we have been negotiating for longer than I know, or we are more direct than Edmontonians, but I don't see why we would expect our arena any faster than the Oilers.

It sure would be nice to get a complex that houses the Stamps as well. If they already need a new stadium, why revisit this issue again in a few years?

Stamps are fine where they are and I wouldn't go overboard spending on the CFL. I would say if they could do something on the West end location for Football and Soccer indoors it should get supported.

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Stamps are fine where they are and I wouldn't go overboard spending on the CFL. I would say if they could do something on the West end location for Football and Soccer indoors it should get supported.

I was thinking that if the new model of supporting professional sports is to partially cover business costs, then make a multiplex now in order to reduce costs. Of course, that assumes cities will pay for arenas/stadiums in the future, that they actually need new facilities, and that a combo would be cheaper.

5 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I was thinking that if the new model of supporting professional sports is to partially cover business costs, then make a multiplex now in order to reduce costs. Of course, that assumes cities will pay for arenas/stadiums in the future, that they actually need new facilities, and that a combo would be cheaper.

I would favor seeing the West end cleaned up environmentally and the sports facilities spread out.

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I would favor seeing the West end cleaned up environmentally and the sports facilities spread out.

If there is no expertise needed to clean this up, why don't they do so now? Hire a bunch of people who seriously need the work, and you can get them a little cheaper. In fact, there should be environmental disaster funds available for this sort of thing.

Propose twinning an existing pipeline, and everybody loses their poop. Suggest cleaning up something that has already spilled and I assume is leaching, and there are crickets.