The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

41 minutes ago, khtm said:

If you guys seriously think Calgary has a chance at winning the Amazon bid, you're putting Calgary up on a pedestal where it doesn't belong lol.

No.

Chance.

Not.

Gonna.

Happen.

Given the competition, the chance is low. We are citing it for comparative purposes here, and you are arguing against a proposition never asserted. You might just as well argue that Michael Jackson will never play in the 'dome.

2 hours ago, khtm said:

If you guys seriously think Calgary has a chance at winning the Amazon bid, you're putting Calgary up on a pedestal where it doesn't belong lol.

No.

Chance.

Not.

Gonna.

Happen.

Thanks for joining the Flames discussion board.  If you have some insight into why you think Jersey is a viable option for a shipping giant, that would be nice.  What is the strategy for Amazon needing a 2nd site?  Does it make sense to locate in the US when a lot of shipping is to Canada?  How available are hi-tech resources in the state?  Is there availability to build near a hub airport?

Feel free to post some meaningful insight here.

42 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Thanks for joining the Flames discussion board.  If you have some insight into why you think Jersey is a viable option for a shipping giant, that would be nice.  What is the strategy for Amazon needing a 2nd site?  Does it make sense to locate in the US when a lot of shipping is to Canada?  How available are hi-tech resources in the state?  Is there availability to build near a hub airport?

Feel free to post some meaningful insight here.

The amount of shipping to Canada is insignificant compared to the amount of shipping within the USA.  The amount of shipping to Alberta is likely insignificant compared to the amount of shipping to Ontario and Quebec.  I don't think geography is going to help bring Amazon to Calgary.

I'm not sure if you have ever been to New Jersey, but it is quite close to New York city.  There is likely a lot of shipping in and out of the New York Port Authority and the Laguardia/JFK airports. 

Personally, I feel there is little to no chance that the current federal government will want a large employer to move to the prairies.  Those 50,000 votes will be much more valuable in Ontario/Quebec.

3 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

The amount of shipping to Canada is insignificant compared to the amount of shipping within the USA.  The amount of shipping to Alberta is likely insignificant compared to the amount of shipping to Ontario and Quebec.  I don't think geography is going to help bring Amazon to Calgary.

I'm not sure if you have ever been to New Jersey, but it is quite close to New York city.  There is likely a lot of shipping in and out of the New York Port Authority and the Laguardia/JFK airports. 

Personally, I feel there is little to no chance that the current federal government will want a large employer to move to the prairies.  Those 50,000 votes will be much more valuable in Ontario/Quebec.

The port of NY is great if you are shipping by boat.  Just kidding.  I mentioned Canada since there is already a lot of customs traffic.  I think Toronto would actually be the better hub in Canada, but there aren't bidding?  

TBH, I don't know the logistics for why they would even consider Alberta, other than rail from BC or a fairly high traffic airport.  I've been to NY and Jersey, and while Newark is close to 3 airports, doesn't make it a shoe in for the plant.  

The feds don't care if it's in AB; considering we provide the transfer payments to the lesser provinces, any province doing alright benefits the country.

BTW, I was responding to the juvenile post.  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The port of NY is great if you are shipping by boat.  Just kidding.  I mentioned Canada since there is already a lot of customs traffic.  I think Toronto would actually be the better hub in Canada, but there aren't bidding?  

TBH, I don't know the logistics for why they would even consider Alberta, other than rail from BC or a fairly high traffic airport.  I've been to NY and Jersey, and while Newark is close to 3 airports, doesn't make it a shoe in for the plant.  

The feds don't care if it's in AB; considering we provide the transfer payments to the lesser provinces, any province doing alright benefits the country.

BTW, I was responding to the juvenile post.  

Sorry for over reacting to your post.  I thought it was another one of the condescending posts floating around this board that make new people feel unwelcome. 

I am being anal, but transfer payments come from the federal government to the provinces.  Transfer payments are a per capita payment to the provinces that are generally used to pay for health care, etc.  Equalization is the money taken from the "have" provinces and given to the "have not" provinces to equalize quality of living across the country.  

When Calgary was done renovations on their airport a couple years ago, it became one of only 7 airports in the world that can land Boeing's new airplanes.  Not sure if it still is but that's a major selling point for Calgary if this new HQ is to deliver/receive mass goods.

Also, too many cheap goods are manufactured in Asia for the new HQ to be on the East coast like NJ.  Amazon would be smart to pick a Western city.

NJ is offering tax breaks because it has to.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

When Calgary was done renovations on their airport a couple years ago, it became one of only 7 airports in the world that can land Boeing's new airplanes.  Not sure if it still is but that's a major selling point for Calgary if this new HQ is to deliver/receive mass goods.

Definitely not true, my friend. 

Presumably, you're referring to the Airbus A380 - which the new runway was built to accommodate. It is larger and heavier than any of the current Boeing hardware including the 747-8. This is, of itself, nothing special. Air France landed a crippled A380 yesterday at Goose Bay, NFLD. The issue there being that the terminal wasn't equipped with air stairs to actually deplane the passengers. 

Per this article:

As of early 2017, the A380 fleet operated routes to over 120 destinations and 60 airports, with Airbus’ 21st century flagship taking off or landing every three minutes on average.

It'd be an excellent company for Calgary, though, and it'd do a lot to diversify the economy. That's a lot of jobs, and I sincerely hope that the bid is successful. 

Love. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

Sorry for over reacting to your post.  I thought it was another one of the condescending posts floating around this board that make new people feel unwelcome. 

I am being anal, but transfer payments come from the federal government to the provinces.  Transfer payments are a per capita payment to the provinces that are generally used to pay for health care, etc.  Equalization is the money taken from the "have" provinces and given to the "have not" provinces to equalize quality of living across the country.  

We get lots of newbees here and all are welcome.  When the extent of someone's contribution to the board is dropping in long enough to make a single statement with no backup, then perhaps they are here to discuss anything.

11 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Definitely not true, my friend. 

Presumably, you're referring to the Airbus A380 - which the new runway was built to accommodate. It is larger and heavier than any of the current Boeing hardware including the 747-8. This is, of itself, nothing special. Air France landed a crippled A380 yesterday at Goose Bay, NFLD. The issue there being that the terminal wasn't equipped with air stairs to actually deplane the passengers. 

Per this article:

It'd be an excellent company for Calgary, though, and it'd do a lot to diversify the economy. That's a lot of jobs, and I sincerely hope that the bid is successful. 

Love. 

Well I stand corrected. I thought it was the newest Boeing 777 series that needed extra run way for landing and Calgary was one of the few who have it.

But ya, if we need to compete, just don't tax Amazon.  Tax their 50,000 workers instead. They are talking about $100,000 average salary.  They would go a long way to diversifying Calgarys economy.  We are too depended on oil and gas.

18 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

How does the Amazon have anything to do with the flames and the new arena

Maybe the Flames order a lot of stuff through them? Quicker shipping :P

On the Amazon note, I dont see the company picking Calgary. But Calgary does already have the headquarters for many different international business tied to Oil and Gas, agriculture, etc. So it wouldnt be a surprise if they choose here.  

6 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

was doing some Reading on the Candidates for the election and i spotted this i really like how this candidate has the drive at wanting to make a deal work if there are other ways to make it work http://www.chabot4calgary.com/calgary-arena

Nice try in theory but reality is, investors aren't lining up to build arenas and stadiums.  They don't return the investment.

I had heard Chabot mentioned that and found it intriguing. I'm not sure if he is just floating a concept or if he has actually discussed that with individuals.

I love the theory but I'm left questioning that if arena/stadiums are an investment vehicle that would gain people money why are governments involved as much as they are? I question the ability to raise that much for an arena privately. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/3801042/calgary-election-2017-new-poll-pegs-bill-smith-to-take-over-mayors-office/

So, the lastest polls show Bill Smith is going to become the next mayor of Calgary. I personally don't believe polls but it's a talking point nonetheless. 

I'm pretty confident if Smith becomes our new mayor, we will get a new arena and the Flames get most of their wishes  granted. He will be the mayor that caves and does whatever it takes to keep the Flames in town.

I know the Flames want us to believe otherwise but I still believe if Nenshi remains our mayor, that we will also get a new arena.  It will just be that the Flames don't get the full deal they want... With maybe 20% chance the Flames leave town. At the end of the day, moving is not ideal and not their first choice.

Go vote Monday.

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3801042/calgary-election-2017-new-poll-pegs-bill-smith-to-take-over-mayors-office/

So, the lastest polls show Bill Smith is going to become the next mayor of Calgary. I personally don't believe polls but it's a talking point nonetheless. 

I'm pretty confident if Smith becomes our new mayor, we will get a new arena and the Flames get most of their wishes  granted. He will be the mayor that caves and does whatever it takes to keep the Flames in town.

I know the Flames want us to believe otherwise but I still believe if Nenshi remains our mayor, that we will also get a new arena.  It will just be that the Flames don't get the full deal they want... With maybe 20% chance the Flames leave town. At the end of the day, moving is not ideal and not their first choice.

Go vote Monday.

I agree. Between Smith basically saying a direct quote of "i'll get a deal done" and the amount of links between he and the Flames it's pretty clear he is their preferred candidate and if he gets in they'll get the deal they want, which won't make me too happy. Flames wouldn't have gotten involved in the election if they didn't have a preferred candidate. 

Be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks/months if Nenshi wins. I still believe he will and be interesting if the Flames keep up their "we arn't talking about it" stance. 

32 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I agree. Between Smith basically saying a direct quote of "i'll get a deal done" and the amount of links between he and the Flames it's pretty clear he is their preferred candidate and if he gets in they'll get the deal they want, which won't make me too happy. Flames wouldn't have gotten involved in the election if they didn't have a preferred candidate. 

Be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks/months if Nenshi wins. I still believe he will and be interesting if the Flames keep up their "we arn't talking about it" stance. 

It remains to be seen who wins. Regardless, the mayor is but one voice on council. Yes, they have a measure of moral authority given they are elected by the entire city. Smith, however, has not explicitly said he would endorse a deal. He will also have to reconcile his message of lower taxes with a $1/2-1 billion arena. We cannot have it both ways. I also wonder how influential he could be given his previous experience. In the end, it is often the bureaucrats who runs the show. They provide council with decision options by ruling out many possibilities.

1 minute ago, Cowtownguy said:

It remains to be seen who wins. Regardless, the mayor is but one voice on council. Yes, they have a measure of moral authority given they are elected by the entire city. Smith, however, has not explicitly said he would endorse a deal. He will also have to reconcile his message of lower taxes with a $1/2-1 billion arena. We cannot have it both ways. I also wonder how influential he could be given his previous experience. In the end, it is often the bureaucrats who runs the show. They provide council with decision options by ruling out many possibilities.

"I'll get a deal done," said Smith after being asked how Calgarians could decide on a mayoral candidate who won't speak about deal details while they're running.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary/2017/09/25/calgary-election-bill-smith-not-making-statements-on-arena-deal-until-elected.html

I get what you are saying about him being vague and not endorsing a specific deal, but he's been pretty blunt he will get a deal done and I think he's gone to some lengths to brand himself as the "pro-arena" candidate and Nenshi the anti arena one. Be a ton of pressure on him to get a deal done if he were to win. 

I suspect most people believed that a deal would get done after the election regardless of who wins. It is unfortunate that it will likely not be done transparently. The real issue is at what price. I would rather city council be protective of the city purse than too liberal with it. I think Nenshi has done a reasonably good job. I have heard that he can be difficult to deal with given his arrogance.

Has any candidate pledged to march up to Edmonton and Parliament Hill in Ottawa to demand funds from Notley and Trudeau to clean up the creosote in West village?  That's the candidate we should back. 

If we can get the creosote cleaned up by other levels of government, then we can circle back to the CalgaryNext vision, which I believe is the vision we all want in our hearts.