Toews & Kane sign @ $10.5 mil per for 8 years

DL44

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456795

"Both deals include a no-movement clause."

They sign identical $10.5 mil/yr deals...  I'm really surprised they were able to get NMC's on them.  I mean if there is anyone in the league that should get them, these guys are on the short list.. but securing the largest cap hit in the league doesn't seem like it warranted a NMC..  but i aint no GM.

But hey...  just like every monster deal that has been signed over the last 10 yrs... in 2-3 yrs it will not look anything like it does presently in terms of albatross status...

Hell in 3-4 yrs, they may look like bargains compared to what the UFA's will be getting then...

So how do the Hawks look next year at present.... Signed:

10 Forwards

3 Dmen

2 goalies

15 players @ $66 mil.

(Bolded are RFA's)

Kane - Toews - Bickell

Sharp - Teravainen - Hossa

Shaw - Saad - Versteeg

Smith - Kruger -  Morin / X

Seabrook - Keith

Hjalmersson - Leddy

Rundblad - X / X

Crawford / Raanta

Cap presently expected to jump significantly next yr to around $75 mil.

7 spots to fill... About $9 mil to play with before even having to shed/give away a Versteeg-type..

Despite the monster contracts.... they are still laughing with their roster!  

Bastards.

On a side note...

It's amazing testament to the health and prosperity of the league and how large the cap is that a team could a have two  10 mil contracts, three 6 mil, two more 5 mil contracts and still fill a roster with quality pieces.

For CHI's sake, I hope these two (bare minimum) maintain their current on-ice production for the next 8 years (yeesh!).  Otherwise, these contracts are "Luongo territory" contracts, and could absolutely cripple CHI.

Please send us a Leddy or an Oduya, and we will be sure to send back some cheap replacement, just to help 'em out.  We are good sports about it, so we could just send back a pick of some sort.  Would you like Byron?  How about a Hanowski or Cundari (already playing for the CHI Wolves)?

But hey...  just like every monster deal that has been signed over the last 10 yrs... in 2-3 yrs it will not look anything like it does presently in terms of albatross status...

Hell in 3-4 yrs, they may look like bargains compared to what the UFA's will be getting then...

In 8-years i think the salary cap will hit the century mark.  With individual contracts allowed to be 20% of team cap, that means one player can make a max of $20-million.  Kanes and Toews would barely be making more than half of what's allowed. 

So relative to today, max allowed is $14-mil so in 8 years, their contracts would look like a $7-mil contract of today.

• 1 month later...

For CHI's sake, I hope these two (bare minimum) maintain their current on-ice production for the next 8 years (yeesh!).  Otherwise, these contracts are "Luongo territory" contracts, and could absolutely cripple CHI.

Toews and Kane are quite young and just reaching their prime years.  When their 8 years are up, they'll be younger  than Loungo was when his final 8 years of his  contract kicked in LOL.

Kane will be 33 years old when his last year kicks in.  Luongo was 31 when his 12 year contract kicked in, and is presently 35, with 8 years to go.

It's pretty easy to imagine consistent production during a player's prime years.

• 3 months later...

Early,early noise is that the cap could remain flatline next yr, which would be glorious for every one that is not a Hawks fan (or Bruins fan)! - which i'm definitely not!

This past yr the cap had been expected to be $71 mid way through last season... but came up short to its present $69 mil.

Next yr's cap was projected to be in the $75 million range with the new Rogers deal + inflation + whatever else..  Not not more..

The reason - depressed CND $$$$ due to depressed oil prices... wohoo for cheap gas!

Sucks for those of us that gas up or shop in the states.. but great as fans of parity and the forced spread of talent to teams not up against the cap...

i.e.  The Isles benefiting from getting Leddy and Boychuk from tight teams THIS YEAR...

Chicgao will survive... but at least their depth takes a blow next yr.

What was the NHL cap when the Sedins signed matching 6.1 million x 5 contracts? What % of the cap did each account for?

Are a 2 time SC winner with 2 Olympic Golds & a 2 time SC winner with Oly Silver worth a bit more then clones with an Oly Gold only?
Are SC championships > Olympic Gold?

All rhetorical questions. :)

What was the NHL cap when the Sedins signed matching 6.1 million x 5 contracts? What % of the cap did each account for?

Are a 2 time SC winner with 2 Olympic Golds & a 2 time SC winner with Oly Silver worth a bit more then clones with an Oly Gold only?

Are SC championships > Olympic Gold?

All rhetorical questions. :)

Those deals kicked in 2009-2010... Cap that yr was $56.8.. Sooooo.. 6.1 /56.8... carry the 1...*100... = 10.7% of the cap each.

And those deals were the famous Burke flying over to Sweden to sign em on July 1st for Toronto, but Gillis got em inked last second... so Burke claimed the trip to Sweden was for The Monster - Gustuffson.

Turned out to be HUGE bargain contracts.

Archived