Top Nhl Centres

kehatch

Here are the NHL teams ranked from strongest to weakest at centre ice.  I have listed NHL number one centres for each team.  Guys that still have something to prove are in italics.  I thought this was interesting to compare the Flames roster to.  Especially given the draft and the many players are available at the position this season (Kadri, O'Reilly, Staal, Spezza, Schenn, Kesler, etc).  I included the draft year, draft position, and how they were acquired in brackets.

1. Pittsburgh: Crosby (2005, 1, D), Malkin (2004, 2, D)
  2. LA: Kopitar (2005, 11, D), Carter (2003, 11, T)
  3. San Jose: Thornton (1997, 1, T), Pavelski (2003, 205 D), Couture (2007, 9, D)
  4. Boston: Bergeron (2003, 45, D), Krejci (2004, 63, D)
  5. Colorado: Duchene (2009, 3, D), MacKinnon (2013, 1, D)
  6. Tampa: Stamkos (2008, 1, D)
  7. Islanders: Tavares (2009, 1, D)
  8. Chicago: Toews (2006, 3, D)
  9. Anaheim: Getzlaf (2003, 19, D)
  10. Washington: Backstrom (2006, 4, D)
  11. Detroit: Datsyuk (1998, 171, D)
  12. Philly: Giroux (2006, 22, D)
  13. DallasSeguin (2010, 2, T)
  14. Ottawa: Spezza (2001, 2, D)
  15. Vancouver: Sedin (1999, 3, D)
  16. Minnesota: Koivu (2001, 6, D)
  17. Carolina: E Staal (2003, 2, D)
  18. St Louis: Backes (2003, 62, D)
  19. Rangers: None
  20. Columbus: None
  21. Nashville: None
  22. New Jersey: None
  23. Toronto: None
  24. Montreal: None
  25. Edmonton: None
  26. Winnipeg: None
  27. Buffalo: None
  28. Phoenix: None
  29. Calgary: None
  30. Florida: None

A few notes:

• Based on who I included, there are only 24 top centres in the NHL
  • 88% were acquired through the draft.  The remaining were acquired via trade.  None were UFA signings.
  • 25% were 1 overall picks.  54% were top 3 picks.  58% were top 5 picks.  67% were top 10 picks.  79% were first round picks.  
  • Years the players were drafted: 1997 (1), 1998 (1), 1999 (1), 2000 (0), 2001 (3), 2002 (0), 2003 (6), 2004 (2), 2005 (1), 2006 (3), 2007 (1), 2008 (1), 2009 (2), 2010 (1)
  • 1.6 top C's are drafted each year.  Remove the fantastic 2003 year and that number drops to just over 1.    
  • From 2000 to 2010 there were 12 centres drafted in the top 3.  75% of them are top centres.
  • From 2000 to 2010 there were 4 centres drafted 4 to 5.  25% of them are top centres (though the jury is still out on Johanson).  
  • 12 teams don't have a top C
  • Only 3 of those teams made the playoffs.  
  • They were all in the East.  
  • 2 of the top 3 and 3 of the top 10 teams are in the Pacific division

In summary, these guys are RARE and really hard to find outside of a top 3 pick.  The most successful teams have more than one of them (or one REALLY good one).  Do the Flames have one in the system?  Roughly 5% of drafted centres will make the cut (~1.6 out of 35), with the percentage spiking the higher the pick.  Between Monahan, Jankowski, Backlund, Granlund, Reinhart, a high pick this season, and a few other long shots chances aren't that long.  Though McDavid or Eichel would go a long way in improving our chances.  Hopefully Backlund or Monahan knock it out of the park this season and we don't have to worry about it!  

In summary, these guys are RARE and really hard to find outside of a top 3 pick.  The most successful teams have more than one of them (or one REALLY good one).  Do the Flames have one in the system?  Roughly 5% of drafted centres will make the cut (~1.6 out of 35), with the percentage spiking the higher the pick.  Between Monahan, Jankowski, Backlund, Granlund, Reinhart, a high pick this season, and a few other long shots chances aren't that long.  Though McDavid or Eichel would go a long way in improving our chances.  Hopefully Backlund or Monahan knock it out of the park this season and we don't have to worry about it!  

That's a really scary thought and emphasizes the "GET IT RIGHT" 4/1 pick we have. I'm actually surprised at the rarity of these guys.  But I guess it depends on your definition of "Elite Center" I would agree with the guys you picked, I just never really thought about it too hard until actually seeing it.

I would almost add to the highlighted with Granlund and even Reinhart because I think they can be very good, their my sleeper picks of more known guys we have.  I omit Jankowski because he's got like the biggest asterisk on his name being that he's in the NCAA and a defensive team so trying to project him right now is harder than catching an aphid with chopsticks.

Eventually success comes from the sum of all the right parts. Should we draft another good C with this years draft and keep Backlund we should begin to see good results come 2015-16 season. We need to improve on RW as well to support these C's and would like to see them stay with Colburne on a RW position.

Here are the NHL teams ranked from strongest to weakest at centre ice.  I have listed NHL number one centres for each team.  Guys that still have something to prove are in italics.  I thought this was interesting to compare the Flames roster to.  Especially given the draft and the many players are available at the position this season (Kadri, O'Reilly, Staal, Spezza, Schenn, Kesler, etc).  I included the draft year, draft position, and how they were acquired in brackets.

1. Pittsburgh: Crosby (2005, 1, D), Malkin (2004, 2, D)
  2. LA: Kopitar (2005, 11, D), Carter (2003, 11, T)
  3. San Jose: Thornton (1997, 1, T), Pavelski (2003, 205 D), Couture (2007, 9, D)
  4. Boston: Bergeron (2003, 45, D), Krejci (2004, 63, D)
  5. Colorado: Duchene (2009, 3, D), MacKinnon (2013, 1, D)
  6. Tampa: Stamkos (2008, 1, D)
  7. Islanders: Tavares (2009, 1, D)
  8. Chicago: Toews (2006, 3, D)
  9. Anaheim: Getzlaf (2003, 19, D)
  10. Washington: Backstrom (2006, 4, D)
  11. Detroit: Datsyuk (1998, 171, D)
  12. Philly: Giroux (2006, 22, D)
  13. DallasSeguin (2010, 2, T)
  14. Ottawa: Spezza (2001, 2, D)
  15. Vancouver: Sedin (1999, 3, D)
  16. Minnesota: Koivu (2001, 6, D)
  17. Carolina: E Staal (2003, 2, D)
  18. St Louis: Backes (2003, 62, D)
  19. Rangers: None
  20. Columbus: None
  21. Nashville: None
  22. New Jersey: None
  23. Toronto: None
  24. Montreal: None
  25. Edmonton: None
  26. Winnipeg: None
  27. Buffalo: None
  28. Phoenix: None
  29. Calgary: None
  30. Florida: None

A few notes:

• Based on who I included, there are only 24 top centres in the NHL
  • 88% were acquired through the draft.  The remaining were acquired via trade.  None were UFA signings.
  • 25% were 1 overall picks.  54% were top 3 picks.  58% were top 5 picks.  67% were top 10 picks.  79% were first round picks.  
  • Years the players were drafted: 1997 (1), 1998 (1), 1999 (1), 2000 (0), 2001 (3), 2002 (0), 2003 (6), 2004 (2), 2005 (1), 2006 (3), 2007 (1), 2008 (1), 2009 (2), 2010 (1)
  • 1.6 top C's are drafted each year.  Remove the fantastic 2003 year and that number drops to just over 1.    
  • From 2000 to 2010 there were 12 centres drafted in the top 3.  75% of them are top centres.
  • From 2000 to 2010 there were 4 centres drafted 4 to 5.  25% of them are top centres (though the jury is still out on Johanson).  
  • 12 teams don't have a top C
  • Only 3 of those teams made the playoffs.  
  • They were all in the East.  
  • 2 of the top 3 and 3 of the top 10 teams are in the Pacific division

Eventually success comes from the sum of all the right parts. Should we draft another good C with this years draft and keep Backlund we should begin to see good results come 2015-16 season. We need to improve on RW as well to support these C's and would like to see them stay with Colburne on a RW position.

You failed to mention our D is small. Big part of the sum.

Eventually success comes from the sum of all the right parts. Should we draft another good C with this years draft and keep Backlund we should begin to see good results come 2015-16 season. We need to improve on RW as well to support these C's and would like to see them stay with Colburne on a RW position.

Monahan still has a lot of proving to show he will belong on that list. As will whomever we draft.

In previous posts I have mentioned getting a FA like M.Greene to play with Russell. Smid is not that small should he play with Brodie who I think toughened up this season. Giordano and Wideman are good Defensemen. If the fear is Russell, I will take his smarts over a lot of guys braun anyday. Wotherspoon has good size and with some further developing will be a good one.

You failed to mention our D is small. Big part of the sum.

Agreed.

Monahan still has a lot of proving to show he will belong on that list. As will whomever we draft.

Not sure why anyone would want to split up Gio and Brodie? they were one of he top tandems in the league last season and one of the only things really going right for Calgary.

http://flamesnation.ca/2014/4/1/flames-core-driving-possession

There possession rate along with Backs is in elite company when on the ice together.

Yes but a lot of the same people who are trying to split up Brodie and Gio are also trying to trade away Backlund.

Not sure why anyone would want to split up Gio and Brodie? they were one of he top tandems in the league last season and one of the only things really going right for Calgary.

There possession rate along with Backs is in elite company when on the ice together.

Yes but a lot of the same people who are trying to split up Brodie and Gio are also trying to trade away Backlund.

TOUCHE!

Did they play well together, sure but is there any reason to think a tandem of Giordano and a healthy Wideman would not be as good together or better. Personally I like Brodie on the LS of the ice, Where his play is better because he is familiar there. A partner like Smid will make up for Brodie's weaknesses around the net. I thought Wideman's play suffered when he was trying to cover up for less experienced partners and this is why I think Giordano is best with him.

I just seen where M Greene resigned with LA so he is off the market. Should the Flames try for Stralman ? thoughts

Did they play well together, sure but is there any reason to think a tandem of Giordano and a healthy Wideman would not be as good together or better. Personally I like Brodie on the LS of the ice, Where his play is better because he is familiar there. A partner like Smid will make up for Brodie's weaknesses around the net. I thought Wideman's play suffered when he was trying to cover up for less experienced partners and this is why I think Giordano is best with him.

I just seen where M Greene resigned with LA so he is off the market. Should the Flames try for Stralman ? thoughts

Giordano played the best hockey of his career next to Brodie. So yes. Lots of reason.

But I agree the Flames should go after Stralman.

Did they play well together, sure but is there any reason to think a tandem of Giordano and a healthy Wideman would not be as good together or better. Personally I like Brodie on the LS of the ice, Where his play is better because he is familiar there. A partner like Smid will make up for Brodie's weaknesses around the net. I thought Wideman's play suffered when he was trying to cover up for less experienced partners and this is why I think Giordano is best with him.

The #s price they are better together, both of there possession rates dropped when separated and yet were elite while together... The proof is in the pudding, splitting them up is a bad idea, period!

Archived