Devils Regain 2014 1St Round Pick

s4xon

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=445439

632215329f4fe76e2f39506850d46079.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imo, this is a load of crap.  They deferred their loss of the 1st rounder for 2 years, and in the final year are rewarded their pick, regardless of it being the 30th spot.  I could care less if Kovalchuk ran back to Russia, the fact is that the Devils made the playoffs and even hit the Finals with him.  Now that there's a new CBA, the NHL (Gary) decides it's old news, and Lou gets away with it clean.  That's dirty business.

This also effects the order of the draft by one pick going forward from the 30th 1st round pick.  I'm literally shaking my head right now. 

Good move.

That was a brutal over the top punishment.

Should never of lost the pick in the first place.

And Lou didn't get away with anything clean... still $1.5 million in the hole and they already lost a 3rd rounder. More than adequate punishment.

Sorry but isn't the league already paying for the devils? So 1.5 mil to the nhl from the nhl?

Edit (while typing this I realized the new owner so it makes even more sense why the halved the money and gave back the first)

Regardless if it was a harsh penalty or not it's still a penalty. New owner or not he knew what state the devils were in. If they had only three years instead of four they would have lost that first last year and would not have been able to get Cory Schneider from the Canucks. Actually I remember having a discussion back when the devils went to the finals and thought "why didn't they give up their first now since it's 29th overall" but it makes sense now they were never going to give it up.

It is scary that the NHL can make up or change things on the fly without a full agreement from the 29 other clubs. Lou lamorillo always gets his way.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=445439

632215329f4fe76e2f39506850d46079.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imo, this is a load of crap.  They deferred their loss of the 1st rounder for 2 years, and in the final year are rewarded their pick, regardless of it being the 30th spot.  I could care less if Kovalchuk ran back to Russia, the fact is that the Devils made the playoffs and even hit the Finals with him.  Now that there's a new CBA, the NHL (Gary) decides it's old news, and Lou gets away with it clean.  That's dirty business.

This also effects the order of the draft by one pick going forward from the 30th 1st round pick.  I'm literally shaking my head right now. 

I agree, this is shady. Devils could have easily given up the 29th pick in the 2012 draft and now because they didn't the league feels bad that they would potentially give up a top 10 pick so they reneg on their punishment. I hate that, the devils knew the risks when they defered the pick for so many years and they should pay the consequences that comes with that. Everything was clear in front of them and i don't agree it was too harsh. The devils saw ther rest of they league push the envelope with contracts and they decided to take one giant leap passed them all.

What's next?
A player retires & the NHL waives the recapture on the salary?

It was the Kovalchuk contract that was 1 reason that was put in place but he conveniantly retired before true $s exceeded cap hit. The deal stunk worse then a truck load of fish sitting in the sun for a week in August.

Waiving the punishment & reducing the fine tells GMs not to worry about consequences because there is now a precedent to agrue their case.

No wonder fans of other sports consider the NHL a Mickey Mouse organization.

• 3 weeks later...

:mad: This is weak, very weak.  Considering that we will be picking very high in the second round it affects us more than most teams as the Devils can nab a player that we may be targeting.  I don't really care if there's a new owner or who owns the team, the punishment follows the franchise and makes a clear statement to the new owner that breaking the rules comes with consequences.  What's next?  Owner blows the salary cap, then sells the team to his wife or buddy to avoid penalty?  Greasy slope, very greasy - perhaps even some mustard stained trails.

Archived