Flames & Losing For Higher Draft Order.

DirtyDeeds

Higher Draft picks worth losing?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Is it okay to lose for the sake of a higher draft pick?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided or don't care.
    • It is not as simple as yes or no.

Another decade of drafting in the 10-15 range would change some minds, mediocrity year after year fighting for a "wild card" spot to get into the play-offs, just to have a 1st round exit. Not many teams can do what the flames did in 04' or the Kings in 12'

And that had a sutter behind the bench both times, lets re-rotate them back in I suppose aswell.

Exactly.  Expectations are skewing the fact that this team may go down in history as THE worst team in franchise history.  THE Worst.  When the season began, we were expected to be a bottom 3 team.  Looks like we're more than twice as good and suddenly we should thank the hockey Gods that this might turn out to be the most pleasantly surpising team in franchise history.  My goodness we are 5th last in the NHL and some of us are being told this is a team to be proud of.

God forbid if we aren't bad enough to be a bottom 5 team.  

I bought the argument of mediocrity being bad when we were a veteran team and clearly on the way down.  We are now a young team and moving in the right direction.  Not being at the bottom in that situation is a good thing.  Not giving up is a good thing.

Why don't you just enjoy Ramo playing lights out, Gio putting up a career year, Brodie looking like a legitimate top pairing guy, Monahan scoring more goals than any Flames rookie since Iginla, etc? 

But reality is, without Cammy's post-trade deadline insanity, the Flames are a bottom 5 team.  We will likely be without Cammy period next year.  What does that tell us?

TLDR: Smart drafting, knowing your weaknesses and addressing them appropriately, no "quick-fix" magic beans and we'll be set for the future, don't need to tank to accomplish this IMHO

Yes, finish with the 10-15th pick in the next 3 years, draft a couple Shea Webers and Patrice Bergerons in the second rounds since its easy, then Stanley is ours.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another decade of drafting in the 10-15 range would change some minds, mediocrity year after year fighting for a "wild card" spot to get into the play-offs, just to have a 1st round exit. Not many teams can do what the flames did in 04' or the Kings in 12'

And that had a sutter behind the bench both times, lets re-rotate them back in I suppose aswell.

Maybe not even make the Playoffs to have a first round exit.

But reality is, without Cammy's post-trade deadline insanity, the Flames are a bottom 5 team.  We will likely be without Cammy period next year.  What does that tell us?

Bull.  That is heavy exaggeration.  The Flames are 12-7-0 over that time frame (103 point pace.)  Cammalleri was unreal for the first half of that frame.  But he has been decidedly human over the last half.  Yet we are still winning.  And if we are one winger away from a 103 point capability that isn't bad news.  

The point is telling people they should be upset by a young team overachieving and showing they are better than we thought they were is silly.  23 pages of this is really really silly.  

Take pride in your team.  Take pride in the fact they didn't lay down.  There are so many good signs:

• The pride and effort level on the team
  • Gio's work as a top pairing D and captain
  • Brodie showing as a top pairing D
  • Monahan matching Iginla's rookie goal totals
  • Hudler putting up top numbers
  • Backlund having the season that he is having
  • Glencross returning to his normal self now that he is healthy
  • The performance of many of the rookies / kids including Colborne, Byron, Granlund, Wotherspoon, 
  • The success the Heat are having on the backs of Reinhart, Baertschi, Knight, Ortio, etc

This whole "darn those kids for playing too well, I want my draft pick" negative attitude in the face of the great things that are going on is just wrong.  This is apparently your biggest fear.  Mine was that our team and our kids were going to be completely dreadful this season.  I like my priorities better than yours.  

Bull.  That is heavy exaggeration.  The Flames are 12-7-0 over that time frame (103 point pace.)  Cammalleri was unreal for the first half of that frame.  But he has been decidedly human over the last half.  Yet we are still winning.  And if we are one winger away from a 103 point capability that isn't bad news.  

The point is telling people they should be upset by a young team overachieving and showing they are better than we thought they were is silly.  23 pages of this is really really silly.  

Take pride in your team.  Take pride in the fact they didn't lay down.  There are so many good signs:

• The pride and effort level on the team
  • Gio's work as a top pairing D and captain
  • Brodie showing as a top pairing D
  • Monahan matching Iginla's rookie goal totals
  • Hudler putting up top numbers
  • Backlund having the season that he is having
  • Glencross returning to his normal self now that he is healthy
  • The performance of many of the rookies / kids including Colborne, Byron, Granlund, Wotherspoon, 
  • The success the Heat are having on the backs of Reinhart, Baertschi, Knight, Ortio, etc

This whole "darn those kids for playing too well, I want my draft pick" negative attitude in the face of the great things that are going on is just wrong.  This is apparently your biggest fear.  Mine was that our team and our kids were going to be completely dreadful this season.  I like my priorities better than yours.  

I'm not quite sure how what I said is a "heavy exaggeration" considering we are 5th worst in the NHL at the moment even after the burst of wins down the stretch.  Meanwhile, you take a small sample size and suggest we are a 103-point team. 

Also, my focus is more on 2015/16 and beyond, so i'm darn proud of the kids who a few years from now will be on that 2015/16 team. I've also been talking about how great the kids are doing in other threads, especially Ortio and Ramo.  Those two will make this rebuild short for the Flames. 

And that's part of it too.  It's not going to be a long rebuild because we have two goalies with all-star potential, quality depth forwards, good coaching.  This season may have been the only season to dip into the draft and come out with a stud superstar in the making.  That's why i'm emotionally willing to toss it to get an Ekblad or Reinhart.   We're going to miss that chance as we come out of a rebuild and contend for the playoffs in two years.

I won't argue the points anymore on why we should lose so much as use update the standings. 

Ok, so Winnipeg won, so we can't pass them and for now they leap-frogged the Canucks. 

Carolina lost so we can tie them after our next game.

The Islanders win so they're two points behind us with 80 games played. 

This is not a throw away season for Monahan. Or Colborne. Or Ramo, Granlund, Byron, Brodie or Wotherspoon. They have all excelled. Mark Giordano has been inspirational in his first yearas captain. If they had all played poorly, or even adequately, would a higher draft pick mean we were better off? What if Backlund had struggled again? Or Ortio been a fish out of water in our callup? Or Russell not really clicked? Would that have helped our rebuild? Cos we got Bennett at 3rd instead of Dal Colle at 6?

Awesome post.

Each and every guy you mentioned, their step forward is far more important to us than any steps backward/no steps for a higher pick.

There are still great positives to pull from any draft, regardless of where you draft.

Hockey longevity isn't about the flavour of the month.

The Flames will now either be picking 4th,5th, or 6th. That's it for the possible range.

The shoot out win eliminates their ability to pass the Canucks now.

This franchise only knows how to draft 6th overall.  Sometimes destiny is just destiny.  So there's no reason to believe it will be otherwise this time around.

Awesome post.

Each and every guy you mentioned, their step forward is far more important to us than any steps backward/no steps for a higher pick.

There are still great positives to pull from any draft, regardless of where you draft.

Hockey longevity isn't about the flavour of the month.

Lol that's awesome conundrumed.

Throughout this thread, both sides of the argument have tried to accuse the other side of short-sighted ideology, slander the other side with betrayal of the future, and prosecute the other side for attempts to promote emotional justifications.  All the while, both sides try to patent for their own use, the surety of longevity.

It was fun but it must end.  This will be my last post in this thread.  Let's hope we make the playoffs next season and don't have to see this topic again.  We have solid young pieces in place and I believe this rebuild will be short and we'll be back in the playoffs again very soon.  You will not hear me want the Flames to lose games for McDavid anytime soon, not until it's January 2015 and the Flames are sitting well out of the playoff picture.  Between now and then, it's all about drafting the right guys and building the best line-up for next season.

This franchise only knows how to draft 6th overall.  Sometimes destiny is just destiny.  So there's no reason to believe it will be otherwise this time around.

Lol that's awesome conundrumed.

Throughout this thread, both sides of the argument have tried to accuse the other side of short-sighted ideology, slander the other side with betrayal of the future, and prosecute the other side for attempts to promote emotional justifications.  All the while, both sides try to patent for their own use, the surety of longevity.

It was fun but it must end.  This will be my last post in this thread.  Let's hope we make the playoffs next season and don't have to see this topic again.  We have solid young pieces in place and I believe this rebuild will be short and we'll be back in the playoffs again very soon.  You will not hear me want the Flames to lose games for McDavid anytime soon, not until it's January 2015 and the Flames are sitting well out of the playoff picture.  Between now and then, it's all about drafting the right guys and building the best line-up for next season.

Hear hear pal.

You made a stellar case, let's hope this thing produces a team we're all proud of.

Perfect situation here! Were tied with NYI and both have one game left. Their next is against buffalo, which i would say they have a fair chance in winning. Biggest problem is not only would it be great to see a win in johnny hockeys debut, but the game is against vancouver *gasp*.

So even though a loss would hopefully singlehandedly move us up from 5 to 4 in the draft, can we really cheer for a loss against vancouver?

SAY NO GUYS!

Hard to not want the Flames to beat Vancouver in Gaudreau's debut, but drafting 4th versus 5th means choosing one of the top prospects instead of being at the mercy of whoever is left at 5.

But if not, I still say we wind up in a good spot with the right player at 5.

Buffalo: Sam Reinhart (after drafting Ristolainen and Zadorov last year, they need a forward to build around)
Florida: Aaron Ekblad (impossible to pass up)
Edmonton: Leon Draisaitl (word is they like his game and size)
NY Islanders: Michael Dal Colle (they need wingers with Tavares/Strome already up the middle)
Calgary: Sam Bennett (perfect fit with the Flames system of work ethic)

That would be my prediction. Unless Buffalo takes Bennett, which means we'd get Reinhart in the same drafting situation. I suppose Edmonton could mess it all up by not taking Draisaitl, but that's why it's nice to be 4 instead of 5...options. Let's just let the cards fall where they will. I don't see the Flames intentionally losing. They work too hard.

Hard to not want the Flames to beat Vancouver in Gaudreau's debut, but drafting 4th versus 5th means choosing one of the top prospects instead of being at the mercy of whoever is left at 5.

But if not, I still say we wind up in a good spot with the right player at 5.

Buffalo: Sam Reinhart (after drafting Ristolainen and Zadorov last year, they need a forward to build around)

Florida: Aaron Ekblad (impossible to pass up)

Edmonton: Leon Draisaitl (word is they like his game and size)

NY Islanders: Michael Dal Colle (they need wingers with Tavares/Strome already up the middle)

Calgary: Sam Bennett (perfect fit with the Flames system of work ethic)

That would be my prediction. Unless Buffalo takes Bennett, which means we'd get Reinhart in the same drafting situation. I suppose Edmonton could mess it all up by not taking Draisaitl, but that's why it's nice to be 4 instead of 5...options. Let's just let the cards fall where they will. I don't see the Flames intentionally losing. They work too hard.

Optimism a side I think Bennett goes to Buffalo. We may be in a position for Reinhart, but I think BB opts for Ritchie. BB words are bigger and more truculent for the future. 

Well, either way I see one of the Sam's available at 5 if everything I predicted holds (and it very well could), but the Flames are not in a position to draft Ritchie over Reinhart. That would be a mistake. I know size and truculence is important to Burke, but he can add it in other ways. We need another offensively capable centre. 

I hope your right and we do get Bennett he has more offensive upside and physical play, which is why he is currently ranked higher than Reinhart. We need beef and physical play up on the top 6 not the back 6. When you look at ANA, BOS, SJ, LA and the ST Louis they have a balance of physical presence and offense on all 4 lines.

We require the larger more physical guys that create time and space. Drafting another non physical player goes against BB logic.  

Well, either way I see one of the Sam's available at 5 if everything I predicted holds (and it very well could), but the Flames are not in a position to draft Ritchie over Reinhart. That would be a mistake. I know size and truculence is important to Burke, but he can add it in other ways. We need another offensively capable centre. 

Perfect situation here! Were tied with NYI and both have one game left. Their next is against buffalo, which i would say they have a fair chance in winning. Biggest problem is not only would it be great to see a win in johnny hockeys debut, but the game is against vancouver *gasp*.

So even though a loss would hopefully singlehandedly move us up from 5 to 4 in the draft, can we really cheer for a loss against vancouver?

SAY NO GUYS!

Best case scenario for drafting purposes is, Islanders win, we lose in OT. We still get a good game but end up that one point behind the Islanders.

I sure hope that TMacs scenario is how the draft plays out. I really want Sam Bennett. After seeing his video in the January (i think) rankings, I was sold. I think Doug Gilmour comparisons really got me on that one. Loved Gilmour even after traded. He almost single handedly made the Leafs relevant. 

Archived