Official 2013 Nhl Draft Day Thread

s4xon

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people are focussing way too much on positions here. First, a switch from one wing to another is typically not overly difficult and two the flames needed to accumulate talented assets into their organization and they did do that. Yes there are players I would have preferred at 22 and 28 too but they added two pretty good prospects and really gave their forward crops some depth. I'm not a huge fan of the first roud but IMO the flames did a good job.

"Over and over draft-eligible players polled said Morgan Klimchuk as a guy they’d pick if they were GMs. A guy they respect that they want to play with and that they wouldn’t want to play against." - Bob McKenzie

Gotta love this quote.

Hello,

Now my first contribution, after 2 years of reading..... and now after 3 hours of listening to the draft radio.

Since we don't know the criteria for the ranking (all the interviews, the medical tests and so on), it is very well possible, that these are the top 13 Players on the flames list. I am a bit sad that the flames don't have a second round pick.

The next two years will show, how the prospects will work out at the end. I am excited to watch them develop. Lets talk again in about two to three years.

The rest of the rebuild is coming from free agency and trades to relieve other teams from cap hell.

Have fun,

Carsten.

Gotta love this quote.

I'll say this, I think Klimchuk Is a hockey player. I wonder about his upside but I don't see how he doesn't became a solid piece for you he is very versatile and seems to be able to play any type of game you want. He can join a scoring lie and contribute but he can also play a reliable game and get involved physically. It's a solid pick even though I would have preferred others.

All in all a strong first round, a little disappointed but we grabbed some very solid picks in Klimchuk and Monahan, Emilie is another kid like Monahan that played on a very weak team but showed some great hands and top end speed as the season went on.

I guess no Seguin though :(

Liking the draft so far. Was a little shocked and dismayed with the Poirier pick, but he's one of the guys I liked in the second so it's not too bad, especially given the fact that late-first up to 70 are all pretty interchangeable.

Like the Monahan pick, wished Lindholm dropped further but it was either Sean or Elias for them and they went for the Swede. Loving the Klimchuk pick. Supremely underrated guy and I think he can become an Eberle-type player as his top end, which is still very good potential in a 28th overall pick.

It's not a perfect draft, but all three guys are potential top-6 forwards. I like that the Flames stuck to their guns and went for who they think are the most skilled players in the draft regardless of size. In my mind, it's a great job by the scouting team, and if we can get a second rounder through some miracle this still may very well be the franchise-changer for us.

it's official, Feaster and Co just blew the rebuild in this draft.  Fire the Mgt and Scouting team JUNK!  Outside of Monahan, (thank god he didn't blow that), otherwise, completely elbowing the bed!

Here we go again ....

Can't say I like picking Poirier at 22.  But he is a decent prospect.  Klimchuk wouldn't have been my pick but he was picked in the range you would expect (and I am no scout).  

Can't take you seriously when you go off like this.  Blew the rebuild in this draft?  Really??

I wonder if you can flip Gaudreau for a 2nd. I would do that. Some real good defenseman available this round.

I don't think the player you get would have the upside of Gaudreau.  The player would have the same risk of making it to the NHL.  

I'm actually satisfied with the Flames 2013 First Round draft. 

They drafted a center (Monahan) that can play NEXT season and will be slotted in the 1C slot with the potential to boot. 

They drafted a goal scorer (Poirier) that can probably make the roster next season and be slotted as a 3A/B LW with the potential to be a top six forward. 

They drafted another all around player (Klimchuk) who can probably make the Flames next season, too, and again with the potential to be a top six forward. 

Overall, I think it was a step in the right direction for the Flames rebuild. They just got three solid picks. Good job, IMHO, for Feaster. 

Hello,

Now my first contribution, after 2 years of reading..... and now after 3 hours of listening to the draft radio.

Since we don't know the criteria for the ranking (all the interviews, the medical tests and so on), it is very well possible, that these are the top 13 Players on the flames list. I am a bit sad that the flames don't have a second round pick.

The next two years will show, how the prospects will work out at the end. I am excited to watch them develop. Lets talk again in about two to three years.

The rest of the rebuild is coming from free agency and trades to relieve other teams from cap hell.

Have fun,

Carsten.

Agreed 100%

I don't think the player you get would have the upside of Gaudreau.  The player would have the same risk of making it to the NHL.  

I am of the believe that Gaudreau isn't an NHL player and I would trade him while his stock his high.

Archived