Bernier To The Leafs....

TrippinVdUb

Looks like Jonathan Bernier has been traded this morning to the leafs for Scrivins and a conditional 2nd.

Ouch I was really hoping for Calgary to make a pitch, I think we could have offered a little more then what LA got...

Oh wait, you can add Matt Frattins name to that deal as well!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426131

To TOR:

Jonathan Bernier

To LA:

F Matt Frattin

G Ben Scrivens

2nd round pick in either the 2014 or 2015 NHL Draft

Not sure what Calgary would want to trade for Bernier.  We've already got a log-jam of goalies (that nobody but Calgary would really want), and the "old timers" who are still with the team for now don't really seem to be something that LA would want (my opinion, anyway)

I think for calgary to be involved it would have required one of their first and I wouldn't give up a first for Bernier. Flames don't have the young pieces like Frattin or Scrivens the kings got so its tough to find a comparison on the flames roster. Surprised the leafs did this given Reimer was not a problem for them last year and creates a bit of a controversy.

Backlund and a late first for Bernier. Why not? Bernier will be a number 1 goalie down the road... if he's not that already (he was better than Quick for the whole year)

Ugh horrible deal for any unproven goalie. You don't know what you are going to get with Bernier and he is no sure fire all star which is what he would have to be to be worth that deal.you can find starting goalies in a lot of places it's the upper echelon that is Arden be IMO Bernier is not there.

Bernier may have had better stats but as the backup he was routinely facing the lesser completion so it's not fair to Quick to say Bernier was better. He only started against 7 playoff teams and only two teams above the kings in the standings.

Ugh horrible deal for any unproven goalie. You don't know what you are going to get with Bernier and he is no sure fire all star which is what he would have to be to be worth that deal.you can find starting goalies in a lot of places it's the upper echelon that is Arden be IMO Bernier is not there.

Bernier may have had better stats but as the backup he was routinely facing the lesser completion so it's not fair to Quick to say Bernier was better. He only started against 7 playoff teams and only two teams above the kings in the standings.

Frattin, Scrivens and 2nd is comparable to Backlund and a late first (28). What has Backlund proven ? Nothing either. Frattin has had comparable sucess to Backlund in the NHL/AHL so far. I think Bernier will be a very good goalie down the road and maybe that's why I would be willing to pay high to get him. 

I do not trade Backs and First for Bernier. If you really want a goalie that bad Id rather pick up Fucale with 22, and Keep Backs. Sure that isn't an immediate upgrade to our net situation... However I think Fucale is looked at like a sure fire star more than Bernier ever was.

Frattin, Scrivens and 2nd is comparable to Backlund and a late first (28). What has Backlund proven ? Nothing either. Frattin has had comparable sucess to Backlund in the NHL/AHL so far. I think Bernier will be a very good goalie down the road and maybe that's why I would be willing to pay high to get him. 

I didn't say it was better or comparable I said I thought it was a horrible deal that I wouldn't do because I think Bernier will be an ok starting goalie but nothing significant and in not willing to overpay for guys like that and giving up a top 9 centre with upside, which backlund is, is very poor value IMO.

I think for calgary to be involved it would have required one of their first and I wouldn't give up a first for Bernier. Flames don't have the young pieces like Frattin or Scrivens the kings got so its tough to find a comparison on the flames roster. Surprised the leafs did this given Reimer was not a problem for them last year and creates a bit of a controversy.

You wouldn't give up a late first round pick for an 11th overall pick that is developing right on pace? Weird. 

Anyway, we paid a 2nd for an NHL washout Mr. Ramo so the deal here looks like a bargain for the Leafs. Frattin is a decent player, but Bernier is easily the best backup in the NHL today and would start for any team if Quick wasn't ahead of him. 

Great deal for the Leafs. Absolute steal.

You wouldn't give up a late first round pick for an 11th overall pick that is developing right on pace? Weird. 

Anyway, we paid a 2nd for an NHL washout Mr. Ramo so the deal here looks like a bargain for the Leafs. Frattin is a decent player, but Bernier is easily the best backup in the NHL today and would start for any team if Quick wasn't ahead of him. 

Great deal for the Leafs. Absolute steal.

No not in this years draft, too strong a year but would have in different draft years.

Reimer was not their problem unless they are blaming the collapse in the Bruins series on him.  I think Reimer's upside is there as well.  He has potential to be a solid starter in the NHL, in the same realm as second tier goalies like Howard, Crawford, Holtby, etc. Not sure why the Leafs are so critical of Reimer.  Maybe injury problems are a concern?

Bernier is a goalie who has been waiting on the wings of Quick for a long time and I think Bernier has top-tier potential.  That said, Bernier is behind in development to Reimer and this is the Leafs taking a step back in order to take two steps forward. Bernier still needs a season or two to prove himself.

I didn't say it was better or comparable I said I thought it was a horrible deal that I wouldn't do because I think Bernier will be an ok starting goalie but nothing significant and in not willing to overpay for guys like that and giving up a top 9 centre with upside, which backlund is, is very poor value IMO.

Bernier started/won games early in the season when Quick was still recovering from surgery. Quick dressed but wasn't playing well. He had a bad start to the season.

I'd give up a 3rd line center with upside for a starting goalie with upside. :)

Archived