Torts Fired

Kulstad

As per MSN Sports:

Rangers fire coach John Tortorella
d453ccd4b22987719e98939ee4388_h366_w650_
f1ea30f7e432f72dc23b496cb745_h17_w0_m6_l 4 hours agoBy CBC Sports of cbc.ca

The New York Rangers announced on Wednesday that John Tortorella has been fired as head coach, less than a week after the club was eliminated in five games by Boston in the playoffs.

The New York Rangers announced on Wednesday that John Tortorella has been fired as head coach, less than a week after the club was eliminated in five games by Boston in the playoffs.

The club made the announcement through its Twitter feed. The fate of the assistant coaches, including former NHL coach Mike Sullivan, was not immediately clear.

The Rangers slipped from a 2011-12 campaign in which they were the top regular season team in the Eastern Conference, with Tortorella recognized as a finalist for the Jack Adams Trophy as top coach.

New York this season couldn't get past the second round of the playoffs after a regular season in which they finished sixth in the East. They reached the conference final a year ago.

Tortorella amassed a 171-115-29 record with New York in the regular season. But the Rangers went just 19-25 in post-season play during his tenure.

The 54-year-old was hired late in the 2008-09 season by general manager Glen Sather, succeeding Tom Renney.

Tortorella had been employed for the previous six seasons as Tampa Bay's head coach, leading the Lightning to the Stanley Cup in 2004 and winning the Jack Adams that same year.

The Bedford, Mass., native spent several seasons as an NHL assistant coach prior to that, including turns with Buffalo, Phoenix and the Rangers.

New York battled back from a 2-0 deficit to Washington in the first round last month, but needed a third period rally and an overtime goal to avoid a sweep against Boston.

Tortorella added to his combative reputation while on Broadway, clashing with reporters and offering direct criticism of his players.

Despite adding signature piece Rick Nash in an off-season trade, the Rangers were 15th in goal production this season.

Tortorella rejected any suggestion that he had differences with sniper Marian Gaborik, who was dealt at the trade deadline to Columbus. He pointedly said that young forward Carl Hagelin "stinks" on the power play when asked about the poor special teams play in the playoffs.

For the final two playoff games, Brad Richards was scratched. Richards earned the Conn Smythe as playoff most valuable player while both were with Tampa Bay.

Previously in his tenure, high-priced Sather acquisitions Wade Redden and Sean Avery found their way off the Rangers roster.

New York faces several off-season questions, including what do with Richards, who is just two years into a lengthy deal.

Star goalie Henrik Lundqivst, meanwhile, has just one season left on his current contract and gave the impression to reporters after the Boston loss that he would be open to listening to other offers.

There was no official word from the Rangers on the search for a new coach.

Torts in Vancouver to get those lazy butts in gear?
AV signed by NYR?

Could work out well for both teams. I hope not as both are very low of my list of teams I want to see improve.

I'd like to see Lundqvist as Kipper's replacement as I'm pretty sure the Rags would never trade him to the Flyers.

He played his last card when he benched his favorite boy Brad Richards and in the process of doing so, pretty much gave Glen Sather the middle finger and forced Sather's hand. The franchise is now between a rock and a hard place thanks to Torts. He should rightfully be the first guy to fall.

I rather like watching the Yankees fall flat on there faces year after year, Id hate to see AV go over there, he could probably turn that team around and make them a consistent threat to challenge for the cup.

Gillis and Slather should have traded goalies and coaches, could have saved them both some leg work!

I usually ignore the Sun chain of papers but they have a link about Torts & a linesman that exchanged a few F-words last series caught on the NBC broadcast. The announcers sound like they browned their pants when an open mike picked it up.

I also read that Gaborik didn't have kind words for Torts while ----head Avery said he'd called it.

Torts is just what the Oilers need to whip those privilaged children into shape.

After he finishes with the fans he can start on the players. :D (Sorry UC & Bronc).

I don't much like Torts but I liked his way with the media. On the east coast there are a lot of idiots that don't even belong in the scrums. If there's no story they'll manufacture 1.

Pronger pretty much made the (.)s in the Philadelphia media look like the imbeciles many of us realized from thier columns.

That said, I still wouldn't want him coaching a team I like.

• 2 weeks later...

According to an ESPN article I read Torts is in Vancouver being interviewed for head coach. (Now up on TSN too.)

Meanwhile, AV is meeting with Rangers brass in La Quinta, California to interview for the job in NYC.

I guess my post earlier isn't far-fetched. :)

Archived