Worst Hockey Buzzwords?

Invin

Which overused buzzwords and phrases are you most sick of? I'll name a few of mine.

#1: "Dynamic" You can't watch a single analysis without the experts spouting this word over and over when referring to the better players on any given team. It's thrown around so much it's like it doesn't even mean anything at this point. "X is a dynamic player. Y is such a dynamic player for this team. Z is going to be a dynamic player in the NHL." Just tonight I turned on That's Hockey 2Nite and within a minute Jamie Mclennan busted out the dynamic buzzword.

#2: "Pucks and bodies to the net" or any of the many variations of the phrase. This one is more tolerable because it's actually applicable and means something, but you almost don't even have to watch interviews between periods because you already know what everyone is going to say.

#3 Not really a buzzword, but there's a "y'know?" epidemic. The majority of players will say "y'know?" constantly throughout an interview, as much as every third word in some cases. "Well y'know they got a good team over there and y'know we gotta get pucks 'n bodies to the net y'know 'cause [our goalie] is y'know givin' us a chance to win out there and he's been dynamic for us, y'know? So yeah."

Anyone else got some?

Hockey Sense.

As in: This guy's got some amazing "Hockey Sense".

Like it's some special 6th sense or something.  You are good player, you can read a play well, you gel with your team mates, whatever.  But this "Hockey Sense" bs just makes me hate life every time I hear it. 

TSN loves the "hockey sense" phrase....y'know? :P

I also want to see Hartley quarterback 1 interview without saying "like" at least once. :lol:

Ah... well, you know, you go out there and you give a 110%, and you wanna play good, and, you know, you hope you play good... I think we played pretty good tonight!

1 of the most used cliches.

Hockey Sense.

As in: This guy's got some amazing "Hockey Sense".

Like it's some special 6th sense or something.  You are good player, you can read a play well, you gel with your team mates, whatever.  But this "Hockey Sense" bs just makes me hate life every time I hear it. 

TSN loves the "hockey sense" phrase....y'know? :P

That & "Hockey IQ". Almost interchangeable.

A "60-minute effort"...

Can we all just let this concept die please.Does it even really exist.

Isn't a true a 60 minute effort by definition one where a team is just essentially in full control of a game or dominates a game all the way thru? Does that even happen anymore?

Teams are all competitive and within all games teams will go thru surges where their energy levels kick in a bit and puts the other team on their heals for bits.... and then in the aftermath, we hear people complain... 'well they didn't play for 60 minutes'..

Isn't it impossible to do when there is another team trying win and push back as well...

Point is... is it really a deficiency in your team if they fail to play a 60 minute game considering the other team is trying to do the same...

I would say no. its a novel concept and great if/when it happens... but i think we should drop it as a general nightly expectation of our teams.

/rant

I almost forgot every colour commentator's go-to phrase, "Off to the races!"

"You'll see the puck is turned over here, and now they're off to the races."

And Kevin Weeke's in depth analysis, "Bad penalty. Can't be taking that penalty. You just can't take that penalty at that point in the game. Bad penalty."

Archived