Mtl Aquires Michael Ryder

Keyro

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416909

Wow. Looks like a steal for the Habs.

Ryder has a lower cap hit, lower contract length, higher point totals this year and is 2 years younger than Cole.

From a part time Canadiens fan, I think this is a fantastic move. I hated all that navajo fry bread Cole pulled during the lockout. His stupid "Puck Gary" movement, and all his comments during the lockout really made me dislike him.

Very interesting. Reading between the lines seems that GM Joe may of been getting negative vibes from the likelihood of Ryder re-signing, so he went for a guy that is locked up for a bit as asset management...

Seems like a good move in that respect if that is the case..

- Dallas doesn't have cap issues, so the difference in contract $ is not an issue.

- Yrs left on the deal is actually a good thing for the Stars. No guarantee Ryder thrives or re-signs in Mon and may be just a rental at the end of the day... (likely why the 3rd was added).

I do like this trade for the Habs tho.. they get rid of Cole who wasn't living up to his price tag, and may of looked like an anchor on the Mon cap structure next yr or the yr after for a team likely to work towards being a cap team.. So good move for future cap flexibility... maybe not for overall asset management.

Great deal for Montreal. Joe made a point of mentioning that they added size, etc AND that he was under contract for a few years. How many times do GMs mention the contract length if its not a big factor?

Ryder probably wanted Benn money or close to. Or he doesn't like being on a bubble team.

It seems like Nieuwie paid a 3rd rounder for two years of extra contract.

Cole's only 2pt game was more due to Eller and Galchenyuk, I don't think this hurts MTL at all. They are winning in spite of Cole rather than because of him.

Who saw MTL at the top of the east this year?

They are still in flux with pretty good prospects that'll be taking away some roster spots in the top 6. Cole might be a prelude to a few other moves to flesh out what their top 6 will look like next year. If Eller puts it all together, he'll be looking for top 6 minutes along with Galchenyuk and Gallagher. So MTL does have room to make some decent deals.

This was a good place to start, Cole hasn't been much a part of their new growing identity this season.

His bitterness at the lockout has perhaps carried over...

Archived