Reffing

conundrumed

This year so far, the refs have been told to call everything.....by the book.

All teams have taken more penalties/game than the Flames? Advantage Flames.

We are one of the top PP teams. Advantage Flames.

Won't be popular with most fans and even more so when those penalties are against their team.

This year so far, the refs have been told to call everything.....by the book.

All teams have taken more penalties/game than the Flames? Advantage Flames.

We are one of the top PP teams. Advantage Flames.

Won't be popular with most fans and even more so when those penalties are against their team.

It still affects us though. Case in point, LA v Ed. If a goal is disallowed due to goalie interference, doesn't that mean penalty for goaltender interference? Apparently not. 2pts for Ed, rather than 0.

I gotta say, there haven't been a lot of games where I was going, "WHAT?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME REF?!" so far, except that LA vs. ED game. I haven't seen the majority of games though, so I may have missed some bad ones.

I think after watching the IIHF refs I'm just happy they're not throwing suspensions and game misconducts out to anyone who looks at the other team funny.

It's not perfect, but I think they're doing a good job for the most part.

(those gifs are great, by the way :lol: )

The officiating in the NHL is both inconsistent and dysfunctional

Since the vets retired (some were as bad as the current batch) en masse & the league failed to prepare for that obvious probability the NHL has been forced to use too many new refs & linesmen @ 1 time rather then integrating them by pairing them with a vet.

Not only are they unsure of their ability but they've now seen on-ice calls overturned frequently so they feel they're skating through a minefield.

The supplemental review is just as bad. That's why Colin Campbell gifted Shanny the dartboard, flow chart & wheel of suspension. Let no common sense enter into supplemental calls.

The NHL needs to start training officials. By that I mean, they need to help fund a system that reaches down into the minor leagues (and maybe below,) and start teaching a consistent program.

They need to partner with Hockey Canada and the US system. There need to be incentives to attract more dedicated people.

I can't see any reason why anyone would want to put up with all the crap they have to at the lower levels in order to learn the trade. Reffing has always been thankless, but over the years it has escalated.

The officials are NOT the people to blame. All levels of hockey have fallen short in this area.

You guys probably need to consider the fact that officiating hockey is probably the most difficult sport to officiate. I think a lot of the problem has to do with the league office. Over recent years they have been making changes nearly every year. It seems every season the league comes out and presents a new set of standards before the puck drops. By the end of the season this implementation falls to the way side.

If you think they just get these refs off the street your kidding

yourself. These guys go through multiple development camps and are sought after through various ranks across the world. These guys are world class officials doing the best they can with the fastest game on earth at the highest level. Complaining about officiating is wide spread with every sport that exists.

My biggest pet peeve is the face offs. They should be much more strict in my opinion. There is no respect for the hash marks and back wingers are constantly encroaching. Some

Centerman are brilliant cheaters and they are great at granting themselves an edge. You often see the linesman barking orders to the centerman... Seems the visiting centerman never wants to get his stick down first. TOSS them till they learn.

Archived