Canadiens Send Gomez Home For Season

Kulstad

That is a lot of Cap hit for no roster spot. Even if he is not playing he still counts for the full cap. I don't see why they wouldn't let him try for even a 4th line roster spot? Surely he can still play to that level.

On a side note how much of an ego blow do you think that would be to show up and be told go home we aren't even going to bother trying you out this year.

This quote from the article Kulstad linked made me laugh... "Bergevin said it was safest for the team that Gomez not play this season."... :lol:

The countdown clock since he last scored is at 330 days and change... http://didgomezscore.com/ and it looks like it is going to take a licking and keep on ticking...

It's got to hurt to write that cheque to cut him loose...

Gomez gets injured too much. Can you imagine if he played this season and then gets a long term injury that spans all summer? That means the Canadiens wouldn't be able to buy him out during the amnesty/compliance period because he's injured (if that's still part of the rules). The Habs would be stuck with him for another year.

It's a safe play to send him home now.

Gomez gets injured too much. Can you imagine if he played this season and then gets a long term injury that spans all summer? That means the Canadiens wouldn't be able to buy him out during the amnesty/compliance period because he's injured (if that's still part of the rules). The Habs would be stuck with him for another year.

It's a safe play to send him home now.

Well if they went that route and he did in fact get a long term injury(long enough to take him through the buyout period) then that would open up a fair amount of cap space as he would be on injured reserve.

Personally using that example I think that would serve them just as well or better than sending him home for the duration. He only has this season and next left on his contract.

Well if they went that route and he did in fact get a long term injury(long enough to take him through the buyout period) then that would open up a fair amount of cap space as he would be on injured reserve.

Personally using that example I think that would serve them just as well or better than sending him home for the duration. He only has this season and next left on his contract.

Well, worst case scenario is that he will regain full health after the buyout period and be ready to start the season.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

There is no way you find a dance partner on that contract so a trade is out which would certainly be the best way out of the situation for both parties.

So you, and he, know a buyout is coming this summer. However the rules clearly state you can't buy out an injured player. So the risk then is (because face it they guy gets hurt, a lot) that he ends up hurt through the compliance period and you pay 2 years of that salary, cap hit and contract space.

There is a fair bit of risk there so I can see that from the business perspective it's best to put him on the shelf, make him a health scratch 100% of the games and buy him out in the summer. Thus eating up the cap and contract space for just 1 year. It also allows you room to have a kid from the farm (perhaps several) get some time in the big leagues and get a better assessment of where they are in their development and how ready they are for the team.

It might be best for Gomez as well, gives him a year to get fully healthy and in shape so he could sign at a far more reasonable price when the buyout happens. Granted the more likely scenario is that he retires but who is to say. Maybe Feaster will pull a page from the Sutter book and sign him to 2 million 1 year and see what happens. LOL.

It sucks for him.

But a smart business move to ensure they can buy him out next yr.

Wonder if now the Rangers will follow the same path now with Redden if they can't trade him for 1/2 his cap hit. Will THEY also secure a buyout by sending him home... or actually put him on the NHL roster this yr since he has to count anyway?

- Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto, McDonagh, Sauer, Stralman, Eminger, Gilroy, Bickel, Redden.

And the most interesting part that stood out to me... the Habs get a $900,000 break on the cap THIS YEAR for sending him home.. obviously a policy i haven't heard of before.

I can understand why, its the how that drives me nuts, montreal management should have taken him aside and filled them in with what their plan was and given him the option of retirement

how does that make any sense?

NHLPA has grieved this to the NHL. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Personally I think all sides should just agree to allow them to buy out Redden and Gomez now and not wait until the summer. But thats just my two cents.

That would be opening a big can of worms. Other teams would definitely want a piece of that action and have the ability to waive now as well...

The most likely outcome is that the grievance goes nowhere since by the letter of the CBA, this is technically allowed.

The most likely comprimise i would love to see happen is the waiving of the clause that states you cannot buyout an injured player.

We will see where this goes.. some dominoesmay result as a result of whatever way this goes.

I guess we will have to call today's "Accelerated Compliance Buyout" news that the NHL announced, the "Scott Gomez Rule".

If you did not hear any team can soon(Sat) use one of their 2 buyouts. The will still have to take the full cap hit against this years cap but they immediately becomes unrestricted free agents. (I think I got that right from the fan 960 talks today.)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/01/15/nhl_nhlpa_agreement_compliance_buyouts_wade_redden_scott_gomez/

Any NHL team may now use one – and only one – “accelerated compliance buyout” prior to the opening of the 2013 season on Saturday, with the bought-out player’s full cap hit still affecting the team’s books for the duration of this season.

No cap hit would be taken on these accelerated buyouts during the 2013-14 season.

Archived