Will Kings Repeat?

The_People1

Will the LA Kings repeat as champs?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Will the LA Kings repeat as champs?

• Yes
    • No

It's SO hard to win back-to-back Cups in the NHL these days because of the grueling schedule and injuries. That said, perhaps the long layoff will help the Kings re-coup. Kopitar is slightly banged up but is expected to miss only 3 weeks. Jeff Carter's ankle has had ample time to heal. The guys who got it done in the playoffs are all still there. ie. Quick, Brown, Richards, Voynov, Martinez, etc.

I think there's a great chance for a back-to-back.

First off I think the whole Kopitar injury thing will hurt them. Teams will have come out swinging and if your team is missing their all-star center, you won't be as quick to get off the ground.

Secondly I think Sutter hockey is not as effective for a shortened season. We saw a lack of scoring from the Kings last year accompanied by strong defensive play. Since its a sprint to the finish the kings will have to be more offense oriented.

I could be wrong, but I say no repeat

What I was most disappointed at in the new CBA is that they didn'T adress the goalscoring in the game as they did last time. I think more that the years have passed since 2004, the less goals were scored. It'll go down and down again, I have no doubt. Dutter masters this, so this is a possibility. Kings just didn't give goals last year. Especially in the playoffs, when games are so defensive. Quick also helps. I can see them doing it, though everyone can win..

The Rangers have put themselves in a great position. Nash is a tremendous upgrade up front. I think he'll be an absolute terror this year. He can seriously take over on his shifts, and they role 4 good lines. Easy to forget Callahan is the captain, and the addition of Krieder is like another Callahan doing all of the things that win games.

And Lundqvist can duel with Quick.

Having said that, Quick was insane aaallll season + playoffs. If that's who he is all the time, that's a tall order to beat.

They can overcome Kopitar, but only short term. He is their best player.

The Blues are also one year closer, and Tarasenko is going to be in camp.

But no one has shown a good counter to the Kings' aggression...yet!

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this topic...

There is nooo way a team can get that lucky with no injuries during a playoff run 2 years in a row can they?

They started with a few this season already...

Mitchell and Kopitar were out for the opener (both expected back before the week's end), and Greene went down in the opener and is gone 6-12 weeks...

I don't think we've ever seen a WHOLE team return the following season after a cup win... every single significant player is return this season... so there's that going for them.

I think they'll be in a tough tough battle with Ana and SJ for the division, and they'll be in playoff again.. but i don't think they'll be as lucky in the injuries department this year.

I don't think we've ever seen a WHOLE team return the following season after a cup win... every single significant player is return this season... so there's that going for them.

Didn't Boston return "virtually" every single significant player after their Cup win? Only difference is, they didn't get a bonus 3 months to rest/recover.

I think the 3 months of extra rest is huge though. Yes, Kopitar is banged up but he'll be ready to go for the playoffs. In addition to that, Gagne and Carter had time to heal their injuries too. Carter especially was useless in the playoffs due to a bad ankle. You would think if he's close to 100%, then he can contribute even more this season than he did the last. Both Greene and Mitchell were key in the playoffs but i think they are replacable if need be. They key guys on D last playoffs was Doughty, Voynov, and Martinez.

Didn't Boston return "virtually" every single significant player after their Cup win? Only difference is, they didn't get a bonus 3 months to rest/recover.

I think the 3 months of extra rest is huge though. Yes, Kopitar is banged up but he'll be ready to go for the playoffs. In addition to that, Gagne and Carter had time to heal their injuries too. Carter especially was useless in the playoffs due to a bad ankle. You would think if he's close to 100%, then he can contribute even more this season than he did the last. Both Greene and Mitchell were key in the playoffs but i think they are replacable if need be. They key guys on D last playoffs was Doughty, Voynov, and Martinez.

I agree that they are perhaps set up better than any defending champ has ever been to repeat (along with Boston, till Thomas decided personal principles and politics were more important than team)...

But i don't think the league has ever been so balanced, nor do i think they can from a probability standpoint be as lucky as they were last yr with injuries.

(I know it's predicting the unpredictable... )

Also it is yet to be determined if Quick's surgically repaired back will drop him off of his superhuman status of last yr.

Archived