Patrick Sieloff

I have to say I'm very excited about this kid. He signed on with the spitfires, picked up a letter for his jersey and even got a spot on the 2nd powerplay. Its nice to see someone who can really line up those open ice hits, but the fact that he brings some leadership, brains and apparently is useful on the powerplay he seems like a very strong prospect.

• 2 weeks later...

Sieloff has had a decent start to the season for Windsor. Scored a booming shot from the point, laying out opponents with big open ice hits, and getting rough during/after the play. He's already been given the "A" and leading by example. I'm looking forward to seeing his progression... Hopefully he can develop into a 3-4 Dman.

• 1 month later...

Just to comment on the videos above, he kinda reminds me of Sarich when he pinches from the point. When you see him come into the frame it's already too late...

Anyone get that?

I've made the same comparrison in another thread... so many similarities.

Speaking personally, I wasn't enamored with him last year (I have a preference for guys with high levels of skill and potential over the "safe" pick, taking into account other factors like work ethic) but Sieloff has grown on me. I don't know if he'll ever break 25 points in the NHL but he's a player. Hits hard, blocks shots, and is an absolute pain in the arse to play against. Offensively he's probably more of a Regehr or a Sarich, but if he was given more time on the PP he could do some damage.

He still needs to work on his poise threshold as he does tend to run around in his own end if things are getting hectic, his shot could definitely get harder, his skating still needs to be pushed to pro levels, and I don't think we'll be seeing him in an NHL jersey for possibly 2 more years at least, but there are some great tools to work with there. A project, sure, but a guy who plays the game and has the attitude needed to win in the playoffs.

Sieloff is a stay at home defenceman who plays physical, blocks shots, has a great attitude and from what I hear is a major pain to play against. All big things missing from the flames defence right now.

I'd say out of all our defense prospects, flames need sieloff to pan out the most. I hope we get a glimpse of him at the world juniors

Sieloff is at 4 fighting penalties already. That league(Ont) put in place new rules where something like 10 fighting penalties gets suspensions or something like that.

Commissioner David Branch announced on Wednesday players who engage in more than 10 altercations during the regular season will receive a two-game suspension for each additional fight up to 15. For fights 16-20, the player will continue to receive two-game bans and his team will also be fined $1,000 and the league also has the latitude to institute further punishment.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/19/ontario-hockey-league-announces-penalties-for-frequent-fighters

That brings to mind something Dion said when he was still with the Flames. He was talking about even on a good clean hit he shouldn't have to then defend himself after. That was a reference to the fact that with this generation NHL hockey player who dealt a big hit on someone that you were going to have to fight someone.

One only has to wonder if Sieloff gets up to 8-9 penalties and near playoffs if it will become a strategy to fight him just to get him suspended

Sieloff is at 4 fighting penalties already. That league(Ont) put in place new rules where something like 10 fighting penalties gets suspensions or something like that.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/19/ontario-hockey-league-announces-penalties-for-frequent-fighters

That brings to mind something Dion said when he was still with the Flames. He was talking about even on a good clean hit he shouldn't have to then defend himself after. That was a reference to the fact that with this generation NHL hockey player who dealt a big hit on someone that you were going to have to fight someone.

One only has to wonder if Sieloff gets up to 8-9 penalties and near playoffs if it will become a strategy to fight him just to get him suspended

The fight counts included in the new rules don't apply to fights where the opposition receives an instigator penalty, so Sieloff is actually only at 1 of his 10. Says a lot about how he can get other players to lose their cool when 3/4 fights this year have the other guy getting 5+2+10 (and the other fight still had the guy getting a 10 minute misconduct).

I don't think we'll have to worry about Pat's fight card, he's a hard, sometimes even borderline player but he isn't an enforcer and he doesn't look for fights unless it's standing up for a teammate or protecting himself. He may get up to around 4 or 5 that are officially "recognized" though.

I don't dislike Sieloff by any means, althought for me I'd like to see the Flames draft more higher ceiling dman, but i have alot of questions about him. Sure the guy can hit no question and you'd love his attitude in fact the player he reminds me the most about is Rhett Warrener. Great leadership, great physicality and a player fans will really like but will probably produce very little offensively. For me though the key is how he transitions from junior to NHL, he's got a smaller frame for a guy who hits as hard, and as frequent as he does, and that has a huge injury red flag for me as he makes that transfer.

So while I like him, I think you need to keep a keen eye on him becuase IMO he can't play with the type of attitude he currently has in the NHL he'll have to adapt some and then your exposing the fact the doesn't have a ton to offer outside of his physicality. Again though, it's early...

I don't dislike Sieloff by any means, althought for me I'd like to see the Flames draft more higher ceiling dman, but i have alot of questions about him. Sure the guy can hit no question and you'd love his attitude in fact the player he reminds me the most about is Rhett Warrener. Great leadership, great physicality and a player fans will really like but will probably produce very little offensively. For me though the key is how he transitions from junior to NHL, he's got a smaller frame for a guy who hits as hard, and as frequent as he does, and that has a huge injury red flag for me as he makes that transfer.

So while I like him, I think you need to keep a keen eye on him becuase IMO he can't play with the type of attitude he currently has in the NHL he'll have to adapt some and then your exposing the fact the doesn't have a ton to offer outside of his physicality. Again though, it's early...

If all he had to offer was a physical game and some big hitting, smaller frame or not I don't think he would be getting US team invites.

If all he had to offer was a physical game and some big hitting, smaller frame or not I don't think he would be getting US team invites.

At the junior level, don't agree at all. That type of play stands out a lot more at that level than the pros, but of course I also mentioned the leadership he brings as well.

Again, what a player brings to the junior level and to the pros can often be two very different things and thats how I feel about Sielof. Lots to offer at the junior level, but transfering to the pros is going to be a big question on him.

At the junior level, don't agree at all. That type of play stands out a lot more at that level than the pros, but of course I also mentioned the leadership he brings as well.

Again, what a player brings to the junior level and to the pros can often be two very different things and thats how I feel about Sielof. Lots to offer at the junior level, but transfering to the pros is going to be a big question on him.

That is something you can say about anyone their first year following the draft picked out of the top 10.

Sieloff reminds me of Sarich. Good attitude. Gritty. Big open ice hit. Has the ability to play a shut down game. Sarich was very solid in his prime. Sieloff lacks the mobility and offense you would like to see in a high end D but very few prospects have the physical game, mobility, and offense so you have to draft a bit of each.

I hear what you are saying on the high ceiling. But I don't look around his draft position and see anybody I would have preferred they grabbed.

That is something you can say about anyone their first year following the draft picked out of the top 10.

Sieloff reminds me of Sarich. Good attitude. Gritty. Big open ice hit. Has the ability to play a shut down game. Sarich was very solid in his prime. Sieloff lacks the mobility and offense you would like to see in a high end D but very few prospects have the physical game, mobility, and offense so you have to draft a bit of each.

I hear what you are saying on the high ceiling. But I don't look around his draft position and see anybody I would have preferred they grabbed.

I liked Colton Sissons or Dalton Thrower but thats me. I'm not upset with the pick i just don't like how the Flames continue to draft these, IMO at least, lower ceiling guys. And of course your right i'm not expecting Sieloff to have a total package and be taken in the 2nd round thats not realistic. My thoughts with him are that his biggest asset, arguably I guess, is his physicality and what I'm saying is that with his frame I think it's going to be difficult to be that physical at the next level. Take that away and you probably have a 7th dman, maybe a 6th (like Sarich). That's unique to him not so much that he needs to improve more than say another 2nd rounder. I don't like as much about Sieloff's game outside his physicality. I love his leadership, but unfortunately you've got to be able to play before you can be a leader so I don't value that as much.

If he can transition and remove that worry for me than you potentially got yourself another Warrener/Sarich and there is nothing wrong with that.

If he can transition and remove that worry for me than you potentially got yourself another Warrener/Sarich and there is nothing wrong with that.

I hear ya cross...

But I do admit I like the big hits... The Flames cupboards are short on the players that are capable of doing it with any consistency, and the few we do have aren't getting any younger...

A good part of the time when the Flames were more successful getting into the playoffs and then trying to make a run, was also when a lot of opposing players had some trepidation about trying to fly into the Flames defensive zone...

If Sieloff can improve on his skill level, he could become an important part of the roster...

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived