Many Nhl Players May Not Return If Salaries Cut

successfulblackman

words spoken from one of the NHL's biggest super stars. This is why I have been on the player's side of the lock out. if salary's are lowered, then the Russian factor will become a dagger in the nhl's drafting, and free agent front. Bettman is leading the nhl down a slow path of destruction, and if the owners don't smarten up, then there is a good chance that many of the top European players will never return to north america.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405665

All this does is further show how greedy some of these players are. If your in it for the money I would like to think we don't want you. Unfortunatly if he is right that could be a major blow to the league. Does anyone know how much these european teams are able to pay for non replacement players?

The CBA dispute will have no such impact.

We are talking about a pie, with which to pay the players, of either $1.87B or (at the lowest) $1.7B.

That is not going to change the bargaining position of teams. It is not going to change how much the top players get paid

The real impact is on the 3rd liners, who are getting $2-3M. The big names will still get their money, and there will always be several players at or near the minimum, so the difference gets made up via the mid-tier players. But it is irrelevant anyway, because if the league is healthy, revenues will grow and salaries will continue to rise, just like last time.

If Russians don't want to play in the best league in the world, fine. I would rather they did, but if they want to stay in Russia, I won't miss them.

(by the way... there is virtually zero chance that any significant amount of the top European players won't still want to play here. And the same silly and empty threats were made last time)

I cannot say this clearly enough.

THIS IS A BLUFF

At best it's a tactic designed to freak out the fans and have them put pressure on the league to cave to the players demands, demands that they haven't made a single concession on by the way. At worst it's a temper tantrum from a spoiled, entitled, self-important player.

First off the KHL CAN and DOES pay quite well, not as well but quite well especially for talented players. So why aren't they over there playing in it, especially the highly skilled Russians. The answer is simple. They can pay well because their infrastructure and support is utter garbage. Their national transportation grid is antiquated (many planes flying domestic routes in Russia do so because they are not ALLOWED to fly internationally due to safety concerns) and they are light years behind the NHL. The cost do catch up is prohibitive if they want to offer that "Competitive" salary.

Second you are in Russia. Imagine the entire NHL in the Climate of the East Coast / Prairies. It's cold and snowy all winter for everyone. You can bet your sweet bippy that for even Oiler players they like playing in Phoenix or Florida, not to even mention the players who actually play there.

Third you are in Russia. If you think that your freedoms and rights are under assault here, you got nothing on Russia. Basically the state is still king there, and whenever it's not the Maffia is. You aren't so much contracted their as "owned" from those at the top's perspective. Having worked there for a while it's like this everywhere. You might have removed the totalitarian Communist government but the mark those decades left on the Russian culture hasn't faded one bit.

That doesn't even go into the fact that he's under contract here. Look let's be honest here, it's not like they are saying to Alex instead of making 9 Million a year we are going to pay you 1 Million. What they are talking about, even at their worst offer of 43% is making 6.8 Million. At the likely projected 50-50 split they are talking about his salary becoming 7.9 Million. Sure it's a paycut but honestly it's still damned good money.

Honestly if Alex feels Russia is his baby and that is where he's comfortable then let him play there but you can be sure that they will still flock to North America to play Hockey regardless of the outcome of these negotiations. We have the better teams, the better league, the better fans, the better climate, better medical facilities and at the end of the day the better overall pay and benefits.

All in all it makes me laugh but I am sure it will rile up some fans, in particular the ones who are on the players side already.

words spoken from one of the NHL's biggest super stars. This is why I have been on the player's side of the lock out. if salary's are lowered, then the Russian factor will become a dagger in the nhl's drafting, and free agent front. Bettman is leading the nhl down a slow path of destruction, and if the owners don't smarten up, then there is a good chance that many of the top European players will never return to north america.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405665

Oh, you mean like last time when the same threats/comments were made?

Means nothing. Feel bad for you if that's why you're on the players' side.

I will give him this though. He's finally crystallized himself in my mind. You see I had a lot of trouble reconciling him with my general view of "Russian's only play for the money."

He seemed so different from the others. He seemed to be playing with a love and zest for the game. He seemed to truly want that Stanley Cup and I love the guy for that.

Then last season he just disappeared and I was left wondering if he was hurt, wondering why he didn't really seem to give 2 navajo fry breads anymore.

Now I realize what happened. He figured out that he's not likely to win a cup, and if they do it won't be him carrying the team (witness last seasons playoffs). Basically he's realised that his best case scenario is playing second fiddle to Cindy Crosby (ugh.. wish that kid would grow up).

He's fallen back into the old Russian mold of playing for the money. It obviously happened last year and I just didn't want to see it.

So with that in mind he will be back because even for him the KHL can afford, at best, the same salary he's going to get here.

Hes bluffing and making himself look bad in the process. Ignoring the transfer agreement between the KHL and NHL, if he does this he will never play in another IIHF game again, like the 2014 Olympics for example. Ovechkin has to much to loss and very little to gain by doing this.

Cindy Crosby (ugh.. wish that kid would grow up).

Cause that isnt old. Haters gotta hate.

I wouldn't take Ovi's comment to heart, it was off-the-cuff to Russian media.

He's under contract until what, 2020?

It's just implying he's on the player's side although he's in Russia.

I hate when a big deal is made off of stuff like this.

All of a sudden, NA fans hate him for saying it? That would be an over-the-top, knee-jerk reaction to one guy stirring the hyperbole pot.

I treat his comments as, "yeah, sure Alex, whatever".

I cannot say this clearly enough.

THIS IS A BLUFF

At best it's a tactic designed to freak out the fans and have them put pressure on the league to cave to the players demands, demands that they haven't made a single concession on by the way. At worst it's a temper tantrum from a spoiled, entitled, self-important player.

First off the KHL CAN and DOES pay quite well, not as well but quite well especially for talented players. So why aren't they over there playing in it, especially the highly skilled Russians. The answer is simple. They can pay well because their infrastructure and support is utter garbage. Their national transportation grid is antiquated (many planes flying domestic routes in Russia do so because they are not ALLOWED to fly internationally due to safety concerns) and they are light years behind the NHL. The cost do catch up is prohibitive if they want to offer that "Competitive" salary.

Second you are in Russia. Imagine the entire NHL in the Climate of the East Coast / Prairies. It's cold and snowy all winter for everyone. You can bet your sweet bippy that for even Oiler players they like playing in Phoenix or Florida, not to even mention the players who actually play there.

Third you are in Russia. If you think that your freedoms and rights are under assault here, you got nothing on Russia. Basically the state is still king there, and whenever it's not the Maffia is. You aren't so much contracted their as "owned" from those at the top's perspective. Having worked there for a while it's like this everywhere. You might have removed the totalitarian Communist government but the mark those decades left on the Russian culture hasn't faded one bit.

That doesn't even go into the fact that he's under contract here. Look let's be honest here, it's not like they are saying to Alex instead of making 9 Million a year we are going to pay you 1 Million. What they are talking about, even at their worst offer of 43% is making 6.8 Million. At the likely projected 50-50 split they are talking about his salary becoming 7.9 Million. Sure it's a paycut but honestly it's still damned good money.

Honestly if Alex feels Russia is his baby and that is where he's comfortable then let him play there but you can be sure that they will still flock to North America to play Hockey regardless of the outcome of these negotiations. We have the better teams, the better league, the better fans, the better climate, better medical facilities and at the end of the day the better overall pay and benefits.

All in all it makes me laugh but I am sure it will rile up some fans, in particular the ones who are on the players side already.

thanks for the intelligent comment. It changed my whole perspective on this topic, but I still believe that the KHL will gain a lot of positives from this lock out. 1st the nhl wants to change the entry level contracts by decreasing the amount of bonuses earned, and increasing the duration of the contract. This will only encourage the Russians to stay in the KHL. Maybe the great 8 is bluffing, and maybe he isn't but lets be honest, he could be right. BTW it's SIDNEY CROSBY

First off: After the season he put together, Ovechkin shouldn't be saying anything to the media this year, quite frankly. Especially about what he gets paid.

Secondly: The logic is, in fact, sound. A contract is a contract. As much as I can't believe the stupid amounts these guys get signed for, to alter their contract is wrong. Obviously there's something in the fine print which allows it, but by all rights if I sign a $10 million contract that's what I expect it to be, no matter what side of the fence I'm on.

Any reduction on pay, by rights, should be on a go-forward basis with new contracts.

Considering that most NHL owners would have known this strategy prior, and considering how many players were signed to long-term deals this year, I think it is wrong to then force an alteration.

Thirdly: Quit your whining, Ovy! Like, Really? You're one of the most priviledged people in the entire world. Why not fight for someone else's rights? Someone less fortunate than you? Maybe a little less talk and a little more off-season training to see if you can actually put a season together worthy of your salary.

First off: After the season he put together, Ovechkin shouldn't be saying anything to the media this year, quite frankly. Especially about what he gets paid.

Secondly: The logic is, in fact, sound. A contract is a contract. As much as I can't believe the stupid amounts these guys get signed for, to alter their contract is wrong. Obviously there's something in the fine print which allows it, but by all rights if I sign a $10 million contract that's what I expect it to be, no matter what side of the fence I'm on.

Any reduction on pay, by rights, should be on a go-forward basis with new contracts.

Considering that most NHL owners would have known this strategy prior, and considering how many players were signed to long-term deals this year, I think it is wrong to then force an alteration.

Thirdly: Quit your whining, Ovy! Like, Really? You're one of the most priviledged people in the entire world. Why not fight for someone else's rights? Someone less fortunate than you? Maybe a little less talk and a little more off-season training to see if you can actually put a season together worthy of your salary.

I agree with ovy's point as well. Like you said a contract is a contract if II signed a 40 mill contract, then I would expect the 10 mill for 4 years. I think it's stupid that the owners are against the current CBA, but their gms where in a hurry to sign their best players with big $ contracts before the cba dead line. it's like they can talk the talk, but they can''t walk the walk

Hard to take this serious because I only caught part of it but I think one of the guys on tsn was saying something about how some years some players actually earn more then there supposed to for whatever reason. Again sorry i lack any detail whatsoever but hopefully someone else has some insight on what I'm saying. Anyways if they are accepting extra money beyond whats on their contacts then they dont seem to concerned with the structure so why should ownership?

Hard to take this serious because I only caught part of it but I think one of the guys on tsn was saying something about how some years some players actually earn more then there supposed to for whatever reason. Again sorry i lack any detail whatsoever but hopefully someone else has some insight on what I'm saying. Anyways if they are accepting extra money beyond whats on their contacts then they dont seem to concerned with the structure so why should ownership?

Maybe earning money from lockout to Oct. 11 (1st scheduled payday) on top of what they make during their regular wages should the season start on/near the date it was supposed to. Lockout started Sept. 15 @ midnight et & I believe the Weasel & Gonchar played (& collected their 1st check) Sept. 18.

Even on a paid by game contract that gives them a few extra paychecks rather then working out in training camp in a normal year.

*Unlike those that are renting ice to stay in shape some are getting paid big $s in real game situations while the lesser players are expected to carry the "united we stand" torch.*

I am pretty sure that it's got to do with their Escrow.

Basically the NHL holds back part of your salary for the year in case the cap drops next year. When it doesn't you get paid that amount back to you (while they are holding on a % of this years salary). Basically at the tail end of those front loaded salaries the Escrow from the previous year will be more than the Escrow held for the current year.

That is the Money the players will be pulling here shortly which is why people are saying that the pressure won't be on them until later in Oct when that cash runs out.

• 3 months later...

True but Ovie was the one that was not coming back if they tried to change his salary at all.

With the length of his contract it's a guarantee that even with "make whole" he will not make the full value of his original contract.

Basically it was a bluff and the bluff was called.

For Kovalchuk I will be VERY surprised if he stays after the All Star Game, that said his contract pay could be higher with a KHL team, I am sure they would be willing to pay a heck of a lot to keep him and he gets to stay home.

Archived