Heat Lines!

With the lockout upon us there is still time for a deal to get done before regular season starts but the Flames and many teams sending players to the AHL.

This is what comes to my mind at first although I can think of some other combos also, I want to know what order you guys would go with and how your lineups would look! Stating why is also nice I like to know how others think players will benefit developing playing with other players.

Sven Baertschi – LW Ben Walter - C Akim Aliu - RW

Krys Kolanos LW Paul Byron - C Greg Nemisz - RW

Lance Bouma – LW Roman Horak – C Ryan Howse - RW

Michael Ferland – LW Max Reinhart – C Ben Street – C

( Bouma - Nemisz - Aliu, would be a good big checking line also)

T.J. Brodie – D Chris Breen – D

Joe Piskula - D Brady Lamb – D

Nick Tuzzolino, D James Martin – D

Zach McKelvie D Joe Callahan - D

Leland Irving, G

Danny Taylor, G

Barry Brust, G

Extra.

David Eddy - RW

Carter Bancks - LW

Turner Elson – LW

ECHL

Bryan Cameron - RW

Gaelen Patterson –C

Mitch Wahl - c

Quintin Laing C

Dustin Sylvester LW

Adam Estoclet, LW

I can see any of the C moving up and down the lines.

I put Walter on the first line because he's soild at the AHL level at putting up points a good set up man for Baertschi.

Aliu for his big body screening goalies, agitation, grit and a little protection for Sven.

On paper seems like a good mix.

Byron and Kolanos showed good chemistry at times last year to keep them together would make sense along with a bigger stronger Nemo who has skills to be a second line AHLer hopefully he show some improvement this year to make a impact at the next step.

Horak and Howse back together again, Hoping some of that chemistry they had in JRS can carry over into the pro ranks along with Bouma who will bring the grit and fore check to the line screening the goalie ect.

Last year Horak was rushed if the Flames weren't decimated by injury's he wouldn't have had as much NHL playing time.

As John Weisbrod said he has the skills to be a good NHL player but some seasoning in the AHL would be the best for him.

Ferland, Reinhart, and Street I dont see as fourth line players nor do I really like them there but due to the depth and them being new to Abby this is where I chose to put them.

Max Reinhart I would like to see move up the lineup depending on how things go I believe Ward is a good coach and will make good decisions on how to develop these young guns.

If I forgot any players let me know!

Pretty great list...

I understand putting Ben Walter on first-line centre, but my guess is that it will be anyone But him.

Between Greg Nemisz, Roman Horak and Paul Byron, one of them will emerge as the dominant centre and they will be given a shot to forge chemistry with Baertschi. All three of them were Almost as good as Ben Walter last year. In particular, Paul Byron may have been As good.

This year, I expect that one or several of them will be As good, or possibly better, than Ben Walter right from the get-go. Which one, I don't know.

It's kind of scary how weak we are on the right-hand side. Past Iginla, it's like a ghost-town from the NHL to the AHL. For that reason, I agree that Nemisz could end up on the wing, potentially.

My lines

Kolanos - Walter - Nemisz

Baertschi - Street - Eddy

Byron - Horak - Howse

Ferland - Reinhart - Bouma

Bench: Bancks, Aliu, Sylvester, Laing

ECHL: Cameron, Wahl, Patterson

Breen - Brodie

Martin - Lamb

Piskula - Callahan

Bench: McKelvie, Tuzzolinio

Taylor

Brust

Injuries and camp performance will change this, but this is my guess as a starting point. Though I am sure they rotate the bench.

I doubt you see them split up Kolanos and Watler or move them off the top line. They drove the Heat last season. Baertschi will get time, but it is unlikely he will be the most productive Heat day 1.

Aliu was benched by Ward during the playoffs (after his great call up). That was with injuries and without players like Reinhart, Baertschi, and Ferland in the line-up. So I think he needs a strong camp to work his way onto the active roster.

Byron will play LW. I think they want Nemisz at C but barring injuries there is no room. Though they may move Street to the wing.

No way Street ends up on the fourth line. He lead his team in points last season and would have been 3rd on the Heat.

I could see Laing played instead of a guy like Howse. Depends if they give him the Captaincy again.

• 2 weeks later...

My lines

Injuries and camp performance will change this, but this is my guess as a starting point. Though I am sure they rotate the bench.

I doubt you see them split up Kolanos and Watler or move them off the top line. They drove the Heat last season. Baertschi will get time, but it is unlikely he will be the most productive Heat day 1.

Aliu was benched by Ward during the playoffs (after his great call up). That was with injuries and without players like Reinhart, Baertschi, and Ferland in the line-up. So I think he needs a strong camp to work his way onto the active roster.

Byron will play LW. I think they want Nemisz at C but barring injuries there is no room. Though they may move Street to the wing.

No way Street ends up on the fourth line. He lead his team in points last season and would have been 3rd on the Heat.

I could see Laing played instead of a guy like Howse. Depends if they give him the Captaincy again.

Those are some pretty good lines also.

I didn't realize Aliu was benched during the playoffs good to know.

In a video interview Byron said the plan was for him to play at C again where he was more successful in the past but things always change.

Nemo is versatile they were grooming him into playing C last year so I imagine at some point he will be playing C but most likely start on the RW.

I didn't like to have Street on the fourth line I just put him there so other prospects could develop better. Street is a good proven AHL'er so I actually see him in the top 6.

Once again I had a guy like Laing scratched instead of guys like Aliu, or Howse because I would rather see them get more playing time and experience to help there development.

Also I made a mistake in my original list I had Irving slotted as the #1 goalie but looking at the Heat's training camp rosters he's not on the list so who knows whats going on with him?

Well Good evening everyone, Feels good to be back. I haven't posted in at least 3 months now and i think its time i made an appearance. I think the lines for Abby should be as shown:

Bartschi/Horak/Nemisz

Walter/Kolanos/Street

Aliu/Reinhart/Howse

Ferland/Patterson/Sylvester

Banks

Breen-Piskula

Martin-Lamb

?-?

Taylor

Ortio

NHL: Bouma

ECHL: Wahl, Cameron, etc

• 3 weeks later...

Lines yesterday were:

Sven is picking up where he left off last season.

2 games:

4 points

2 goals(1 was PP)

2 assists

7 shots on net

Thanks for posting that. I was looking for the lines.

Aliu and Estoclet played the first game while Kolanos and Bancks sat. Nemisz and Byron have missed both games due to injury. It will be interesting to see the line shuffle when they are healthy. But of course more injuries will happen. Eddy and Ferland are the only two healthy forwards that haven't received ice time.

Ferland reported to camp out of shape. Eddy surprises me a bit as I thought he had a strong camp. But there are a lot of good players so someone has to sit.

Does anyone know the D pairings?

I believe they were:

Brodie-Piskula

Breen-McCarthy

McKelvie-Lamb (or Callahan game 1)

Lines yesterday were:

Sven is picking up where he left off last season.

2 games:

4 points

2 goals(1 was PP)

2 assists

7 shots on net

I watched the highlights on the main page.

They are looking dang good. Sven just rifled it.

Brodie had 3 helpers.

I hope both can transfer that to the Flames when the NHL returns.

Sportsnet coverage of select Abbotsford Heat games will continue for the duration of the NHL work-stoppage. The first Heat game on Sportsnet One will be on Saturday October 20th against the Chicago Wolves (AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks)...

http://abbotsfordheat.com/news/index.html?article_id=159&content_type=printable&plugin_id=news.front.system&block_id=5001

Sportsnet coverage of select Abbotsford Heat games will continue for the duration of the NHL work-stoppage. The first Heat game on Sportsnet One will be on Saturday October 20th against the Chicago Wolves (AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks)...

http://abbotsfordheat.com/news/index.html?article_id=159&content_type=printable&plugin_id=news.front.system&block_id=5001

They had a NCAA game on Saturday too(competing partly with the football). I am hoping they might cover Providence with a game or too as well.

Man I hope I get that on tv. Since the return of the Jets the Flames are blacked out in our area (protected area). I'd love to watch our farm team kick the Canucks' .

For those who did not get to see this game on SNet One here would be the highlights:

What a great game on Saturday (As close as we can get to some NHL on TV so far)! Sven was amazing. This kid has got so much talent its scary. I feel sorry for the Canucks prospects or Lack there of. Eddie "I Suck" Lack is suppose to be a rising back up goalie for the Canucks is just a joke. He flops almost as much as Loserongo! The whole game our team was all over them like men vs little boys.

Excited for the new Flames look. Aliu and Baertschi look like they'll do some damage when the NHL season starts.

What a great game on Saturday (As close as we can get to some NHL on TV so far)! Sven was amazing. This kid has got so much talent its scary. I feel sorry for the Canucks prospects or Lack there of. Eddie "I Suck" Lack is suppose to be a rising back up goalie for the Canucks is just a joke. He flops almost as much as Loserongo! The whole game our team was all over them like men vs little boys.

Excited for the new Flames look. Aliu and Baertschi look like they'll do some damage when the NHL season starts.

I was unable to actually watch Fridays game but I did listen to most of it. That game Eddie Lack played very well and especially in the shoot-out. I wouldn't be able to make any claims about him flopping around however that does not come through on the radio very well. I think his team let him down somewhat on Saturday(2-3rd periods.)

It seemed clear to me that the heat was a faster team on Saturday. They managed to skate past the grinding tough style that Chicago wanted to play.(It was like they figured it out after the 1st period)

Sven seems to have a knack or this great hockey sense that positions him in the right place. It will be interesting to see how he adjusts when teams start to focus on shutting him down.

Woot! You can put in the books!!!! 5-3 HEAT!

Tonight's lines were:

Bärtschi-Walter-Sylvester

Kolanos-Reinhart-Horak

Street-Olson-Laing

Eddy-Bancks-Ruegsegger

Brodie-Callahan

McCarthy- Breen

McKelvie-Lamb

Taylor

*** No Bouma, Nemisz, Piskula, or Aliu tonight. I am thinking all but Bouma, (I think he is injured) will start tomorrow in the rematch, along with Irving making his 1st start of this AHL season! Also no Ferland or Byron, perhaps tomorrow??? Game time tomorrow 7:30PM EST ***

GREAT GAME!!!!

Horak with two goals! INCLUDING THE GAME WINNER and HIS AHL LEADING 6TH GOAL OF THE SEASON!!!!!!!!!! Brett Olson with a goal and 2 assists and a +3!! TJ Brodie with a beauty of a goal and an assist! Carter Bancks with a short-handed marker to get the Heat on the board after trailing 2-0! The Heat were OUTSHOT 17-3 after the first period! They killed off ALL 6 PK's including 3 in the 1st!

Only flaw in the game was a giveaway in the goal mouth by Brady Lamb shortly after Brodie put the Heat up 3-2, which Lake Erie tapped in an easy goal. Some interesting penalties in the game, as well.

THE HEAT ARE STILL UNDEFEATED IN REGULATION!!!!! (4-0-0-1)

LET'S GO HEAT!!!!!!

Is Greg nemiez injured? Cause he had a good ahl season last season so I don't understand why not to play him or Irving

The Heat are playing those who earned the starts. Confirmed by both Feaster and Heat coach Troy Ward. Irving apparently did not earn the starts with his play during training camp.

In fact Troy said it twice in his interview when questioned about Irving starting, that he did not earn it and maybe Flames Fans should be thinking Danny Taylor as their future goalie.

WHOOP!!!!

TWO short-handed GOALS for Abbotsford THREE seconds apart!!!! Too hilarious!!!

McCarthy with his 1st, drove the net, assisted by Bancks. SCORE! 1-0 Heat

Then the following faceoff at center ice, Ben Street slaps the draw, ALL THE WAY TO THE BACK OF THE NET FROM CENTER ICE!!!

2-0 ABBY!!!!

:lol:

**** RECORD BREAKING GOALS!!!!****

Fastest two goals in AHL history...e 5 seconds. In NHL, 4 seconds... Now 3 seconds.....

Bärtschi with the empty net goal! HEAT WIN 3-0!!! Brust with the shutout. Now 0.50 GAA thru 2 GP!

Heat now sit 2nd in the West (AND the entire AHL) just 1 point out of 1st with a game in hand!!!

c80b0b141f02443cfd1d7f442528a391.png?1351918503

5cccb68533fd0112e4380ba6fd0c5585.png?1351918548

It should be clear, to those who dive into the stats, that these two teams do not like each other. It was another rough penalty filled game.

I will only add to TAWDGEs comments about Horaks hat trick to mention it was a natural hat trick.

Horak now has a league leading(goals)with 10 goals to the next closest who has 8.

01c051bf5417e14cc4a865d38387ffa5.png?1351919282

There are now three teams remaining with only 1 loss. Syracuse & Springfield from the Eastern Conference and Abbotsford Heat in the Western Conference.

Archived