Messier Gets 6 Mil From Canucks Due To A Contract Dispute

Carty

Messier's contract included a clause that would compensate him based on any increase in value of the franchise over the course of the decade following the start of his contract from 1997 to 2007...

An arbitrator has awarded him 6 mil...

http://www.canada.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Mark+Messier+awarded+million+arbitrator+former/7036933/story.html

Messier gets the last laugh on this one... :lol:

They owed him because he gave that team the credibility they've since lost.

It was actually the opposite. Signing Messier was the single biggest mistake a Canucks GM ever did. It took the team a few years after he left to climb back to respectability.

That was probably the hardest check Aquillini ever had to write. Thanks McCaw.

• 2 weeks later...

It was actually the opposite. Signing Messier was the single biggest mistake a Canucks GM ever did. It took the team a few years after he left to climb back to respectability.

That was probably the hardest check Aquillini ever had to write. Thanks McCaw.

In most business purchases there are clauses written in that any salaries, bonuses, lawsuits, etc that have happened during the time of the previous owner will be covered by that owner and not the new one. Im sure Aquillini had his team of lawyers go over every possible situation before submitting a Purchase Agreement.

The money owed to Messier proves beyond a reasonable doubt that he rescued your guy's sorry franchise, at least, from a financial standpoint. So, shouldn't he be liked?

Or, is my comment too troll?

Not really, no.

What saved the Canucks financially was canning Keenan and not letting his tenure go on any longer, on top of a young exciting team with Naslund/Bertuzzi/Jovanoski that Burke built around. And not to mention actually winning some hockey games and making the playoffs.

Messier did nothing good in his time here. Any increase in franchise value during his time here had nothing to do with him.

• 1 month later...

Gonna play a the little troll and tinfoil hat cards together here but from what I read the way it worked is that any increase in value in the 10 years after his arrival cut him a cheque.

So that said then it's notable as well that he's pulling a salary when he's there so the really nice kicker is that he can continue to draw "pay" when he's gone.

So from that perspective is it possible that he tanked it out either subconsciously or on purpose to drive down the team value while he was there and drawing pay. The reason being is that the team would bounce back on value (thus increasing its value) when he leaves.

That way he draws salary and then a maximum potential return on the value clause.

It's either that or something in the water didn't agree with him because the years he spent in Vancouver were some of the worst healthy years of his career.

Gonna play a the little troll and tinfoil hat cards together here but from what I read the way it worked is that any increase in value in the 10 years after his arrival cut him a cheque.

So that said then it's notable as well that he's pulling a salary when he's there so the really nice kicker is that he can continue to draw "pay" when he's gone.

So from that perspective is it possible that he tanked it out either subconsciously or on purpose to drive down the team value while he was there and drawing pay. The reason being is that the team would bounce back on value (thus increasing its value) when he leaves.

That way he draws salary and then a maximum potential return on the value clause.

It's either that or something in the water didn't agree with him because the years he spent in Vancouver were some of the worst healthy years of his career.

Definitely too much tin foil on this one...

It's not like the guy bounced back to prominence after he left Vancouver... he was just done.

went back to they city he was adored, and retired in peace.

His drop off from PPG pace unfortunately coincided with with his arrival here... he turned 37 his first yr here... what did people really expect?

plus you give him too much credit for thinking.

He gets money for increasing the value of the team. So, why would he tank it to pull down the team's value? Because even if it went back up after he leaves, it might only go back to the level it was at prior to his arrival. It makes no sense whatsoever. Only a complete moron would do that.

So in other words, i think you're right.

He gets money for increasing the value of the team. So, why would he tank it to pull down the team's value? Because even if it went back up after he leaves, it might only go back to the level it was at prior to his arrival. It makes no sense whatsoever. Only a complete moron would do that.

So in other words, i think you're right.

ROFL ... I know right... they call me crazy. Yeah, Yeah I am Crazy ..... Crazy like a Yak!

:lol:

ROFL ... I know right... they call me crazy. Yeah, Yeah I am Crazy ..... Crazy like a Yak!

:lol:

Just so long as you don't get to HappyCat levels of crazy. We'd have to do to you what we do to him...lock him in his pet carrier and strap him to the back of the Bandwagon.

Yeah like someone already mentioned after he left the Canucks his numbers in New York weren't great either nor was the team 97 was the last year Messier say the playoffs despite playing 7 years after that. So I'm sure there is some correlation to his lack of numbers to playing on a crappy team as well. The Canucks just sucked with or without a ageing Messier.

Imagine if his contract was until 2012 he would really have hit the mother load cause I'm sure since 2007 the Canucks value has probably gone up 50%.

Just so long as you don't get to HappyCat levels of crazy. We'd have to do to you what we do to him...lock him in his pet carrier and strap him to the back of the Bandwagon.

At least we didn't make him ride in the trailer with the Canuck fans. :)

Somehow they got out after we chained the doors shut & left them in the Glendale parking lot. Nobody ever goes there. :lol:

BTW, didn't you just have a b/day? If I'm right, Happy belated Birthday.

Archived