Abbotsford Heat Contracts

For those of you who are interested in Abbotsford re: contracts, and dicuss personnel moves.

The list so far:

D Joe Callahan 1yr, SPC (Standard Player Contract)

D Zack McKelvie 1yr, SPC

LW Dustin Sylvester 1yr, SPC

D Nick Tuzzolino 1yr, SPC

These four curently have AHL only deals, which by my understanding means they will not be able to transfer up to the Flames regardless of how they play.

Callahan - drafted in '02 by Phoenix, 46 games (4 pts) NHL with Isles, Sharks, Panthers

McKelvie - undrafted, 39 games last year with Providence (2 pts), -11 rating

Sylvester - undrafted, 64 games last year with Abby (15 goals, 34 pts),+8 rating

Tuzzolino - drafted in '05 by NYI, more time spent in the ECHL than the AHL, but 3 goals (4 pts) in 13 games with Abby last year, including the OT game winner in the final regular season game.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who are interested in Abbotsford re: contracts, and dicuss personnel moves.

The list so far:

D Joe Callahan 1yr, SPC (Standard Player Contract)

D Zack McKelvie 1yr, SPC

LW Dustin Sylvester 1yr, SPC

D Nick Tuzzolino 1yr, SPC

These four curently have AHL only deals, which by my understanding means they will not be able to transfer up to the Flames regardless of how they play.

Callahan - drafted in '02 by Phoenix, 46 games (4 pts) NHL with Isles, Sharks, Panthers

McKelvie - undrafted, 39 games last year with Providence (2 pts), -11 rating

Sylvester - undrafted, 64 games last year with Abby (15 goals, 34 pts),+8 rating

Tuzzolino - drafted in '05 by NYI, more time spent in the ECHL than the AHL, but 3 goals (4 pts) in 13 games with Abby last year, including the OT game winner in the final regular season game.

You can add goalie Barry Brust to that list also. 1 year contract.

BRUST

Sounds like Danny Taylor has been inked to an AHL contract. Big news as it suggested Irving is going to start in Abbotsford.

Interesting.. They are probably just covering there chicken tikka masala now.

If Irving beats out CT for the back up job then it's probably safe to say the Flames will cut ties with him and either send him down and get claimed off waivers or loaned to a euro team if that's a option.

Brossiot being a year away from AHL eligible, and Ortio is prob gonna do another year in Fin and Ramo a year away this goaltender problem is not a bad problem to have lol

It should be very interesting to see how these goalies pan out over the next couple of years.

Oh yeah and nice list there kehatch I like it did you make that yourself?

They also inked Barry Brust, former Wild and Kings property, to an AHL deal sobi looks to me they are preparing for ortio to be in Europe and for Irving to be in thd NHL.

I think so as well. This could be the end of CT's time in Calgary as it looks as though Irving will be Kipper's back up. Or.........Kipper is going to be traded which could mean Irving starts and CT is the back up........soooo many possibilities. Interesting times in Flamesland.

I think it was Kehatch that said he believed Karlsson had a European out clause where he he doesn't have to report to an AHL club if demoted. If this is the case he is not an option in the AHL, with reports of Ortio staying with TPS for the upcoming season, the signings of Brust & Taylor make perfect sense.

The only big catch is we need to sign a 3rd goaltender to an NHL contract before the start of the season, or leave a contract spot open to sign another goaltender.

If there is an injury to Kipper or Irving, and Ortio & Karlsson are on loan to European clubs I do not believe we can recall them on an emergency basis. So we would either need to sign Laurent to his ELC and recall him on an emergency basis, or leave a contract spot open to sign Taylor or Brust to an NHL deal (or another goaltender) to recall them. I would think Brossoit would be the route they went.

So it appears we will see the following IMO.

NHL - Kiprusoff, Irving

AHL - Taylor (AHL contract), Brust (AHL contract)

WHL - Brossoit (Unsigned prospect)

NCAA - Gillies (Unsigned prospect)

KHL - Ramo (RFA)

SM-liiga - Ortio (loaned)

SEL - Karlsson (loaned)

I think it was Kehatch that said he believed Karlsson had a European out clause where he he doesn't have to report to an AHL club if demoted. If this is the case he is not an option in the AHL, with reports of Ortio staying with TPS for the upcoming season, the signings of Brust & Taylor make perfect sense.

The only big catch is we need to sign a 3rd goaltender to an NHL contract before the start of the season, or leave a contract spot open to sign another goaltender.

If there is an injury to Kipper or Irving, and Ortio & Karlsson are on loan to European clubs I do not believe we can recall them on an emergency basis. So we would either need to sign Laurent to his ELC and recall him on an emergency basis, or leave a contract spot open to sign Taylor or Brust to an NHL deal (or another goaltender) to recall them. I would think Brossoit would be the route they went.

So it appears we will see the following IMO.

NHL - Kiprusoff, Irving

AHL - Taylor (AHL contract), Brust (AHL contract)

WHL - Brossoit (Unsigned prospect)

NCAA - Gillies (Unsigned prospect)

KHL - Ramo (RFA)

SM-liiga - Ortio (loaned)

SEL - Karlsson (loaned)

I can't find definitive details on Karlssons's contract now either, but I remember hearing much the same...

And if that is indeed the case, it could present a serious difficulty if Kipper or Irving were to have an injury...

I can't find definitive details on Karlssons's contract now either, but I remember hearing much the same...

And if that is indeed the case, it could present a serious difficulty if Kipper or Irving were to have an injury...

I am not saying I want this to happen, but Kiprusoff getting hurt for a couple/few weeks would probably be the best thing for Irving's development. It would also be good for Brossoit as I assume he would be quickly signed to an ELC and recalled to be the backup and facing NHL shooters in practice every day would be great for his development.

I am not saying I want this to happen, but Kiprusoff getting hurt for a couple/few weeks would probably be the best thing for Irving's development. It would also be good for Brossoit as I assume he would be quickly signed to an ELC and recalled to be the backup and facing NHL shooters in practice every day would be great for his development.

But a better scenario, would be one where a backup would step up and impress us all, then was allowed to naturally get acclimated to the roll and then adjust to what was actually required...

The main problem, is that the team has not been in a position to try and do that for a while now...

Quite simply, our D needs to wake up and do their job or be replaced, piece by piece...

But a better scenario, would be one where a backup would step up and impress us all, then was allowed to naturally get acclimated to the roll and then adjust to what was actually required...

The main problem, is that the team has not been in a position to try and do that for a while now...

Quite simply, our D needs to wake up and do their job or be replaced, piece by piece...

All this is true, but playing Irving early in the season is critical to his development and the willingness to play him more than 10-15 games this season. If he impresses at camp, then start him for a stretch at the beginning; if he wins more than 50% of his games, keep him in and let Kipper sit. If he doesn't win, we have a problem that needs to be fixed.

The previous seasons were always the same; play Kipper and evry 7 or so game, bring in the backup, usually game 2 of a b2b. At that rate, the backup will only get 10 games.

If we are in a playoff humt, no way can we start anyone but Kipper. The backup problem never gets solved.

All this is true, but playing Irving early in the season is critical to his development and the willingness to play him more than 10-15 games this season. If he impresses at camp, then start him for a stretch at the beginning; if he wins more than 50% of his games, keep him in and let Kipper sit. If he doesn't win, we have a problem that needs to be fixed.

The previous seasons were always the same; play Kipper and evry 7 or so game, bring in the backup, usually game 2 of a b2b. At that rate, the backup will only get 10 games.

If we are in a playoff humt, no way can we start anyone but Kipper. The backup problem never gets solved.

If Irving doesnt play a certain number of games (I believe it is 27) then he is a free agent next year. Which in my opinion is why it was stupid to sign him for only 1 year. He has to play this year somewhere and I have a feeling hes not going to get anywhere close to the amount of games he needs in the NHL.

If Irving doesnt play a certain number of games (I believe it is 27) then he is a free agent next year. Which in my opinion is why it was stupid to sign him for only 1 year. He has to play this year somewhere and I have a feeling hes not going to get anywhere close to the amount of games he needs in the NHL.

I believe the number is 22, but yes, that's right.

If the season is shortened, there is almost no chance that he can get 22 games in.

I believe the number is 22, but yes, that's right.

If the season is shortened, there is almost no chance that he can get 22 games in.

Even if the season isnt shortened I dont see him doing it. I highly doubt that he agrees to go to the AHL for a conditioning stint to allow the Flames artificially inflate his game total.

Even if the season isnt shortened I dont see him doing it. I highly doubt that he agrees to go to the AHL for a conditioning stint to allow the Flames artificially inflate his game total.

Those are NHL games that he has to play, so sending him to the AHL wouldn't knock off any totals on his NHL games-played bar. I think people forget that the AHL and the NHL are in reality two different leagues. What happens in one league doesn't carry over to another; there are plenty of cases where a top prospect doesn't score in the AHL but turns into a top talent at the NHL level (think Ryan Kesler circa 2003/04), and even more guys who are the best of the best in the AHL but are unable to make the jump to the NHL (Brett Sterling, Alexandre Giroux, etc.).

Archived