Lindback Traded To Tampa

Zirakzigil

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398464

The Predators acquired two second-round draft picks (37th and 50th overall) in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, a 2013 third-round selection and goaltender Sebastien Caron in exchange for goaltender Anders Lindback, forward Kyle Wilson and a 2012 seventh-round selection (202nd overall).

Great move for both teams. The Preds recover assets they spent at the deadline for an asset they no longer needed. Tampa gets a young good goalie without giving up prime prospects or first round draft picks.

They must see a lot of what they like in Lindback, because two second rounders, a 3rd rounder and a minor-league goalie is a lot of assets for a 24 year old B goalie prospect.

On Nashville's part, they get assets for a player who was not of great importance moving forward, which is always a good thing. They have Magnus Hellberg coming over next year anyways who would fill in Lindback's spot in the AHL and they can find backup goalies on the cheap in free agency, with guys like Brent Johnson and Ty Conklin all likely to be available this year. I mean, no need to get expensive if he's only playing 8-10 games....

They must see a lot of what they like in Lindback, because two second rounders, a 3rd rounder and a minor-league goalie is a lot of assets for a 24 year old B goalie prospect.

On Nashville's part, they get assets for a player who was not of great importance moving forward, which is always a good thing. They have Magnus Hellberg coming over next year anyways who would fill in Lindback's spot in the AHL and they can find backup goalies on the cheap in free agency, with guys like Brent Johnson and Ty Conklin all likely to be available this year. I mean, no need to get expensive if he's only playing 8-10 games....

Nashville also has Jeremy Smith in the AHL, who put up good numbers last season. The Preds got a pretty good return for their Backup Goalie. Time will tell if this is a good move for Tampa Bay.

I've been sold on Lindback as a future star for a couple of yrs now. If Lindback solidifies as even a top 15-20 STARTER, tampa is laughing at giving up just picks for a player that will/may sit between the pipes for the next decade plus.

Its a win-win at the end of the day... Nashville gets a quite a few depth draft picks for their backup and for a position they have huge positional depth at.

The only way a team loses this trade is if Lindback follows the path of Mike Smith and Dan Ellis in Tampa...

Otherwise... a good trade from both sides.

So how does this change the goalie market?

Probably sets the baseline values for other young backups... Bernier and Schneider.. (Harding is a UFA)

Bernier will probably get around the same value or less... Schneider quite a bit more.

I've been sold on Lindback as a future star for a couple of yrs now. If Lindback solidifies as even a top 15-20 STARTER, tampa is laughing at giving up just picks for a player that will/may sit between the pipes for the next decade plus.

Its a win-win at the end of the day... Nashville gets a quite a few depth draft picks for their backup and for a position they have huge positional depth at.

The only way a team loses this trade is if Lindback follows the path of Mike Smith and Dan Ellis in Tampa...

Otherwise... a good trade from both sides.

So how does this change the goalie market?

Probably sets the baseline values for other young backups... Bernier and Schneider.. (Harding is a UFA)

Bernier will probably get around the same value or less... Schneider quite a bit more.

How can you be sold on a Goalie who has only played 38 NHL games and behind one of the NHL's best Defences and a D first system?

I think both you and Zirack are jumping the gun here. The trade has the potential to be good for both teams but it really rests on Lindback rising to prove himself as a genuine starter in the NHL.

Yzerman has gambled that Lindback, at the extremely young age of 24, is ready to roll full time. Look how Mike Smith fell flat in Tampa but shined on the D oriented Yotes.

I am holding judgement on this trade because the fact is we don't even know if Lindback can hold down a starting position at all yet…

How can you be sold on a Goalie who has only played 38 NHL games and behind one of the NHL's best Defences and a D first system?

I think both you and Zirack are jumping the gun here. The trade has the potential to be good for both teams but it really rests on Lindback rising to prove himself as a genuine starter in the NHL.

Yzerman has gambled that Lindback, at the extremely young age of 24, is ready to roll full time. Look how Mike Smith fell flat in Tampa but shined on the D oriented Yotes.

I am holding judgement on this trade because the fact is we don't even know if Lindback can hold down a starting position at all yet…

Tampa got a potential starter without giving up a first round draft pick or Conolly. That is a win for them in my opinion.

Until this year Cory Schneider had appeared in 35 NHL games & people were pretty hot for him even before he played another 33 this year.

Until this year Cory Schneider had appeared in 35 NHL games & people were pretty hot for him even before he played another 33 this year.

I think you are kind of making my point. Trading Schneider prior to last year is a way different price than trading for him now.

That is the difference those extra 33 games makes.

I think you are kind of making my point. Trading Schneider prior to last year is a way different price than trading for him now.

That is the difference those extra 33 games makes.

So doesn't it make sense for Tampa to buy low now if you believe I the guy?

And im basing my opinion of lindback from watching those games... He has all the tools and style to be great. One of my favorite goalies in the league.

And im basing my opinion of lindback from watching those games... He has all the tools and style to be great. One of my favorite goalies in the league.

Caron & Wilson both go UFA July 1 so basically have no bearing on the trade.

Lindback was in the situation Schneider was in this time last year as he's another goalie good enough to merit the NHL but stuck behind an entrenched big $ starter on a long term contract.

The Canucks probably would have gone for the pair of 2nds & a 3rd last year as (like the Preds) they have goalie depth in the system. Today that offer would result in a chuckle if the return was Schneider.

If Lindback turns out to be a dud (something I doubt) Nashville wins. But with some seasoning he looks like a better bet then anything you'd find in this years 2nd or next years 3rd while being more mature hence closer to the big time. If TB adds a mature starter off the UFA market instead of throwing the kid into the fire this is good (& Stevie Y will make sure his goalie coaches tutor him well).

If he's what's expected it's win/win as TB has their guy for a long time while Nashville reloaded on some of the picks they traded to make their playoff run. As a RFA TB can negotiate the contract while Lindback doesn't have the track record to demand a big raise from last years .875 cap hit.

..............If he's what's expected it's win/win as TB has their guy for a long time while Nashville reloaded on some of the picks they traded to make their playoff run. As a RFA TB can negotiate the contract while Lindback doesn't have the track record to demand a big raise from last years .875 cap hit.

He should get Schneider's 900K + inflation + leverage of being TB's #1.... should = ~$2-2.7mil. Term may increase that #. How many yrs before he's ufa eligible?

Ok, I did not see Lindback play, I saw Schneider play. I understand what you are saying. It just struck me as a high return for what still is a unproven back-up Goalie who will be tasked as the starter. I'm not sure if Schneider would have got that return at the end of last season. Maybe...

It fits Yzerman though, he explicitly said he wanted a young goalie. So I hope it works for him, it seems like a risk to me. But again, I'll defer to those who have actually watched Lindback play - you and Yzerman.

I just know a lot of young G like the Monster etc who come in and can't live up to the demands of being a starter...

Ok, I did not see Lindback play, I saw Schneider play. I understand what you are saying. It just struck me as a high return for what still is a unproven back-up Goalie who will be tasked as the starter. I'm not sure if Schneider would have got that return at the end of last season. Maybe...

It fits Yzerman though, he explicitly said he wanted a young goalie. So I hope it works for him, it seems like a risk to me. But again, I'll defer to those who have actually watched Lindback play - you and Yzerman.

I just know a lot of young G like the Monster etc who come in and can't live up to the demands of being a starter...

I think it was Elliote Friedman I heard saying Stevie Y was wanting to make a big push for Schneider. He's got what he hopes was developed properly (something Nashville is noted for) to become his Schneider @ a much lower cost.

Also he won't be playing under the media glare in TO like the Monster. :)

I think Lindback has a higher ceiling than Schneider. But Schneider is already showing what he is...

You're probably right about Schneider last yr unlikely receiving the return Lindback got this yr... but who knows.

But maybe we'll find out how much Schneider's worth this yr if Gillis goes that way.

(Luongo + Return for Schneider) should make for a better team than (Schneider + Return for Luongo)

But who knows what will happen.

But what is happening is the goalie market is definitely shrinking in Vancouver's favor right now....

Lindback, Thomas, Voukon, Harding, Bernier?, Enroth?....

There are no other legit #1's available out there, are there? Teams serious about getting one must be knocking at Gillis' door right?

Unless they are willing to take massive risks on other unprovens...

FYI...

The Goalie Market....

UFA's

Huet, Cristobal » G CHI 36

Brodeur, Martin » G NJD 40

Roloson, Dwayne » G TBL 42

Niittymaki, Antero » G SAN 31

Mason, Chris » G WIN 36

Leighton, Michael » G PHI 31

Ellis, Dan » G ANA 31

Gustavsson, Jonas » G TOR 27

Hedberg, Johan » G NJD 39

Clemmensen, Scott » G FLA 34

Auld, Alex » G OTT 31

Biron, Martin » G NYR 34

Backlund, Johan » G PHI 30

Harding, Josh » G MIN 27

Conklin, Ty » G DET 36

Danis, Yann » G EDM 30

Raycroft, Andrew » G DAL 32

Desjardins, Cedrick » G COL 26

McElhinney, Curtis » G CLB 29

Montoya, Al » G NYI 27

Turco, Marty » G BOS 36

Johnson, Brent » G PIT 35

Sanford, Curtis » G CLB 32

Zatkoff, Jeff » G LAK 25

Pogge, Justin » G PHO 26

Dekanich, Mark » G CLB 26

McKenna, Mike » G OTT 29

Lawson, Nathan » G MTL 28

Climie, Matt » G VAN 29

Johnson, Chad » G NYR 26

Leggio, David » G BUF 27

Bacashihua, Jason » G PHI 29

Mannino, Peter » G WIN 28

Peters, Justin » G CAR 25

Munroe, Scott » G PIT 30

Thiessen, Brad » G PIT 26

Grahame, John » G NYI 36

MacIntyre, Drew » G BUF 28

Caron, Sebastien »

RFA's

Price, Carey » G MTL 24

Rynnas, Jussi » G TOR 25

Tarkki, Iiro » G ANA 26

Rask, Tuukka » G BOS 25

Pavelec, Ondrej » G WIN 24

Koskinen, Mikko » G NYI 23

Schneider, Cory » G VAN 26

Lack, Eddie » G VAN 24

Talbot, Cameron » G NYR 25

Modig, Mattias » G PIT 25

Lindback, Anders » G NAS 24

Cann, Trevor » G COL 23

Cousineau, Marco » G ANA 22

Smith, Jeremy » G NAS 23

Sexsmith, Tyson » G SAN 23

Cheverie, Marc » G PHO 25

Dubnyk, Devan » G EDM 26

Murphy, Mike » G CAR 23

Pielmeier, Timo » G NJD 22

Endras, Dennis » G MIN 26

Janus, Jaroslav » G TBL 22

Stalock, Alex » G SAN 24

Engren, Atte » G NAS 24

Irving, Leland » G CGY 24

Scrivens, Ben » G TOR 25

Foster, Brian » G FLA 25

Bachman, Richard » G DAL 24

Hunwick, Shawn » G CLB 25

Hutton, Carter » G CHI 26

Courchaine, Adam » G BOS 23

So... I struck thru the ones that are probably 99% unavailable to other teams..

The bolded are probably the only ones even capable of being a #1 (skipped the goalies older than 35).. The UFA list is bare, and the RFA list isn't much better...

Other than that... signed backups that may be in play: Enroth or Bernier. But both projects... maybe Bishop in Ott?

(Luongo + Return for Schneider) should make for a better team than (Schneider + Return for Luongo)

I would have to agree with this...

DL... Out of curiosity, as a Van fan and having had more time to consider, would your preference be to keep Lou, Schneider, or both?

I would have to agree with this...

DL... Out of curiosity, as a Van fan and having had more time to consider, would your preference be to keep Lou, Schneider, or both?

Depends on the return right? If Luongo fetches a great ransom fine, if Schneider fetches more, great.

Either way the Canucks are set in net with a great goalie.

The only reason i wouldn't want to keep both goalies would be for selfish reasons... I want to see Luongo hit the 1000 games and 500 wins plateaus. He could become just 3rd goalie to achieve it.... and he deserves it for how he gets carved despite a great career.

- he's 2nd in active wins at 339, and 3rd in gms played at 727.

273 more games played needed for 1000.

161 more wins for 500.

If he plays 5 more high end seasons, that's an average of just 32 wins and 55games/season.

Whether its with Vancouver or where ever he ends up... as a clear #1, he will cruise past those landmark numbers. Kinda sick when you really think about it.

I'm kinda leaning towards keeping the franchise's all-time best goalie here to see him do it in Canuck colors. Also effecting my lean is my thinking that Schneider may return maybe a little more because of contract status. Win-'hopefully win' situation. With Luongo you know you have a perennial Vezina candidate and a guy capable taking a team on run to the Finals. With Schneider you hope he's capable and that last yr was a legit sample... but no idea if he will have Luongo's career consistency.

But despite my personal lean towards keeping Luongo, here's why i think Luongo goes...

If Luongo was a pending UFA come July 1st this yr... he would be the JEWEL of the free agent market along side Suter and Praise in their respective positions... correct?

You telling me that someone wouldn't sign him to $47 million($ remaining) retirement contract?

I would say.. easily. Wait until you see what gets thrown at Praise and Suter. It won't be a $5.3 mil cap hit.

I.e. I don't think Luongo's contract is actually as big a hurdle as people make it out to be when you think about the logic that way and what he would garner on the open market right now as a UFA.

Also helping the situation.... the presently poor goalie market. What legit #1 option does a Toronto have right now? I say Toronto, since they kinda pop up as a likely suitor... Huge need, Can deal with the $47 mil left, cap space. The hurdle... Burke/Nonis dealing with Gillis... Gilman may have to lead this one with Gillis pulling the strings. Touchy relationship. But i'm confident they will be able to manage some professionalism. Otherwise... who knows.

Depends on the return right? If Luongo fetches a great ransom fine, if Schneider fetches more, great.

Either way the Canucks are set in net with a great goalie.

The only reason i wouldn't want to keep both goalies would be for selfish reasons... I want to see Luongo hit the 1000 games and 500 wins plateaus. He could become just 3rd goalie to achieve it.... and he deserves it for how he gets carved despite a great career.

- he's 2nd in active wins at 339, and 3rd in gms played at 727.

273 more games played needed for 1000.

161 more wins for 500.

If he plays 5 more high end seasons, that's an average of just 32 wins and 55games/season.

Whether its with Vancouver or where ever he ends up... as a clear #1, he will cruise past those landmark numbers. Kinda sick when you really think about it.

I'm kinda leaning towards keeping the franchise's all-time best goalie here to see him do it in Canuck colors. Also effecting my lean is my thinking that Schneider may return maybe a little more because of contract status. Win-'hopefully win' situation. With Luongo you know you have a perennial Vezina candidate and a guy capable taking a team on run to the Finals. With Schneider you hope he's capable and that last yr was a legit sample... but no idea if he will have Luongo's career consistency.

But despite my personal lean towards keeping Luongo, here's why i think Luongo goes...

If Luongo was a pending UFA come July 1st this yr... he would be the JEWEL of the free agent market along side Suter and Praise in their respective positions... correct?

You telling me that someone wouldn't sign him to $47 million($ remaining) retirement contract?

I would say.. easily. Wait until you see what gets thrown at Praise and Suter. It won't be a $5.3 mil cap hit.

I.e. I don't think Luongo's contract is actually as big a hurdle as people make it out to be when you think about the logic that way and what he would garner on the open market right now as a UFA.

Also helping the situation.... the presently poor goalie market. What legit #1 option does a Toronto have right now? I say Toronto, since they kinda pop up as a likely suitor... Huge need, Can deal with the $47 mil left, cap space. The hurdle... Burke/Nonis dealing with Gillis... Gilman may have to lead this one with Gillis pulling the strings. Touchy relationship. But i'm confident they will be able to manage some professionalism. Otherwise... who knows.

Very good answer DL44, and I would say I have to agree with many points of your response...

As for myself, I would have to hope that Schneider is traded and they keep Lou even though I agree that the return is probably better for Schneider ... But as you know, I am not hoping for what I think is best for the Canucks...

Either way, I will have to agree that Vancouver's position of strength should be increasing due to the limited market in starting goaltenders if it is played correctly by them...

Very good answer DL44, and I would say I have to agree with many points of your response...

As for myself, I would have to hope that Schneider is traded and they keep Lou even though I agree that the return is probably better for Schneider ... But as you know, I am not hoping for what I think is best for the Canucks...

Either way, I will have to agree that Vancouver's position of strength should be increasing due to the limited market in starting goaltenders if it is played correctly by them...

1st, I agree it was a very good answer DL.

The counterpoint to the lack of goalies on the market is the very limited # of teams looking for 1. Of the top of my head there's TO & the CBJ. If Columbus does go into the full rebuild mode they don't need an expensive #1 (just a warm body between the pipes).

You could add the Oilers as they have the need but they'd probably offer something like the last year of Habby's contract, Horcoff & Omark (& only because they've decided he'd the odd man out). & that's unless they decide just 1 more lottery pick makes them better.

So you've got a limited product facing little demand.

Teams that see themselves as realistically 4-5 years away from being ready to make a deep run (like Wpg. who's priority is holding onto Pavelec) wouldn't be interested.

Teams that need to add cap wouldn't be interested until the hit exceeds the true $s.

Most of the contenders feel they are set in goal so forget them.

The # of suitors would be small.

1st, I agree it was a very good answer DL.

The counterpoint to the lack of goalies on the market is the very limited # of teams looking for 1. Of the top of my head there's TO & the CBJ. If Columbus does go into the full rebuild mode they don't need an expensive #1 (just a warm body between the pipes).

You could add the Oilers as they have the need but they'd probably offer something like the last year of Habby's contract, Horcoff & Omark (& only because they've decided he'd the odd man out). & that's unless they decide just 1 more lottery pick makes them better.

So you've got a limited product facing little demand.

Teams that see themselves as realistically 4-5 years away from being ready to make a deep run (like Wpg. who's priority is holding onto Pavelec) wouldn't be interested.

Teams that need to add cap wouldn't be interested until the hit exceeds the true $s.

Most of the contenders feel they are set in goal so forget them.

The # of suitors would be small.

that's all true... But the point is, the number of teams that were interested in a #1 were low at the start of the offseason to begin with..

we've seen Thomas, Voukon, Lindback and Harding (4 potential #1 types) all come off the board while it seems just one team (Tampa) seemingly addressed their #1 issue. 1's taking a yr off, 2 signed as backups...

So while the suitors have always been low since the get go, the market over the last couple weeks has shrunk faster than the potential suitors. That's why I see it as a good development for the Canuck organization in terms of the goalie market.

that's all true... But the point is, the number of teams that were interested in a #1 were low at the start of the offseason to begin with..

we've seen Thomas, Voukon, Lindback and Harding (4 potential #1 types) all come off the board while it seems just one team (Tampa) seemingly addressed their #1 issue. 1's taking a yr off, 2 signed as backups...

So while the suitors have always been low since the get go, the market over the last couple weeks has shrunk faster than the potential suitors. That's why I see it as a good development for the Canuck organization in terms of the goalie market.

I think they will still move Luongo rather than Schneider, but they probably will take their time and try and maximize the return...

I can also see the Canucks filing for salary arbitration with Schneider as a defensive measure to prevent him from receiving an offer sheet, though because of what he earned last season, the effective date would be July 5th, giving interested teams a small window between then and July 1st to make an offer sheet...

I would be surprised to see any offer sheets from other teams though, due to the "unwritten rule" and also the fact that they know the Canucks are going to match any offer, so it would only cause animosity with a potential future trading partner... The Oilers did themselves no favors with the offer sheets they made, and they are still paying the price for it...

In the end, I still would not be surprised to see Burke bite the bullet and make a deal for Lou... As you pointed out, the options for a #1 goaltender are limited and probably not going to get any better over the summer...

I think this makes things worse for the Nucks then better actually. Yes there is one less goalie on the market, but there is also one less team needing one as well. Really only Toronto and Columbus need a goalie. I dont see either team paying through the nose for one, especially Columbus. My bet is they sign whichever goalie hits free agency they think is best and Burke goes to Gilles with an offer for Luongo and says take it or leave it. The Nucks have to back one goalie or the other and the longer it drags out the less value they will get back.

I think this makes things worse for the Nucks then better actually. Yes there is one less goalie on the market, but there is also one less team needing one as well. Really only Toronto and Columbus need a goalie. I dont see either team paying through the nose for one, especially Columbus. My bet is they sign whichever goalie hits free agency they think is best and Burke goes to Gilles with an offer for Luongo and says take it or leave it. The Nucks have to back one goalie or the other and the longer it drags out the less value they will get back.

We were talking about the bigger picture Z...

Lindback to Tampa on it's own isn't the greatest news for the Canuck situation. But there are 3 other #1 options on top of that that have been eliminated now as well.

So the bigger picture is looking positive.

Edm would be stupid at this point to let Dubnyk go... so i'm not sure i would consider him an option... so who are the #1's left? None close to the Van options.

But as Burke stated... He's comfortable going forward with just Riemer and Scirvens in his goal this season! :lol: :lol:

God.. a huge part me wishes we retain both our goalies for at least another half season and watch Toronto drop 5-10 games under 500 by Dec... If nothing happens tomorrow, I'm confident Gillis will be patient and go that route... i'm kinda hoping for it now.

The Leafs are destined for another missed playoff.. and it will be their goaltending's fault. But hey.. at least their "future" looks bright... right Oiler fans.

Vancouver is at $55mil: 11 F, 6D, 1 G signed.

Also signed with potential to play this yr: Jensen and Schroeder: $2.1 mil

Notable unsigned players: Raymond, Salo, Weise, Rome

So basically... signing Schneider and rolling both goalies out is a legit option with Kesler on LTIR to start the yr. So if the season starts on time... The Canucks could be patient and wait for teams to 'realize' what they have between the pipes.

Canucks are in a good position.

It seems to be agreed that Schneider would get a better return for Luongo...

As I Flames fan, I would hope they keep Lou and trade Schneider... Because return aside, I think Schneider would be the better goaltender for the Nucks going forward...

I believe keeping both goaltenders going into the upcoming season would have been a more viable option had Lou not been pulled for the remainder of the series... Schneider wants to play, he has earned it and he is more than capable, so Lou Plays and Schneider sits, and he isn't going to be happy... Schneider gets played and Lou sits, and Lou is going to get even more bent out of shape... They both know one of them will be leaving... It is not a good scenario...

Too retain him, Schneider is going to want a NTC/NMC on his contract which then adds serious limitations for options the Nucks... And the limited teams in the market for a #1 goaltender know this...

The most logical trading partner would be the Leafs, but Burke is one of the most stubborn GM's in the league, we all know his feelings on Lou's contract, he isn't going to want to give up the player(s) that Vancouver wants, and at the very least will push hard for the Nucks to take back a higher dollar contract that they do not want... Tampa?, well you know the story... Columbus I just do not see spending the money... I do not consider Dubnyk to be a #1, but the Oil apparently do... If I was them, I would be trying to get Lou, but they do not seem to be in the market... Then there is Chicago, possibly the team that would give the best return, but as a hated rival, just can't see it happening, same thing for Boston (IF they could trade Thomas to a team that needed to add to meet the cap minimum)...

After giving this more thought, even though I think the Nucks will file for arbitration with Scneider, this will still leave a window from July 1st and the 5th for a team to pitch an offer sheet... Chicago or (Boston IF as above) just might do it... No love lost there... If the offer sheet was in the 5 mil range, the compensation would be only a 1st and a 3rd round pick, relatively low price to pay and a better contract than Lou's for whom I think is and will be the better goaltender, and is 7 years younger...

If Schneider signed the offer sheet, the Nucks only have two options, keep him at that cost and cap hit without being able to trade him for the first year, or let him walk for the picks and go with Lou in goal...

So, this could get ugly...

Archived