Nhl Return To Quebec

wolfmannick

Sa veindra pas cette année entuka.

Its not this year veindra entuka

While I was never a big Quebec or Montreal fan, I would like to see Quebec get another team back...

It would be great to see it happen this year, but I agree that it is not likely to happen that soon...

It appears the Jamison group got their sweetheart deal so Phoenix can prop up the Coyotes for a few more years.

QC should build an arena, get an owner & then look @ getting an NHL team. Devils & Isles are targets if/when they reach that point.

It appears the Jamison group got their sweetheart deal so Phoenix can prop up the Coyotes for a few more years.

QC should build an arena, get an owner & then look @ getting an NHL team. Devils & Isles are targets if/when they reach that point.

If Seattle gets another NBA team aren't they in close running for a team as well?

Would due great for the western teams with another team with a later time zone. And living in vancouver, would be nice to go see some games NOT in vancouver.

Quebec city is already building an arena, they have been for a while. Just going by memory i think its a 40 million dollar project or something like that.The problem with this whole relocation idea is that it is a huge risk high rewarding system.If Gary Betman did not have this great love for the city of Phoenix(which i don't understand) the team would have already moved, but the other owners of teams that are not doing the best financially are scared to dish out a substantial amount of cash to relocate. Any who its a very risky business.

Devils have a new investor and will be staying where they are. Only team I could see moving now is the Islanders and I highly doubt that the NHL lets Wang move them from New York. Quebec needs to do what Winnipeg did. Get the arena built, get a strong ownership group and then go to the NHL when everything is in place.

Devils have a new investor and will be staying where they are. Only team I could see moving now is the Islanders and I highly doubt that the NHL lets Wang move them from New York. Quebec needs to do what Winnipeg did. Get the arena built, get a strong ownership group and then go to the NHL when everything is in place.

Who's the new investor & how much cash enters the mix in NJ?

I agree QC would be best off following the TN model in Wpg. but they don't show the patience. It seems if they have an arena in place the RoC will buy them a team, the NHL will agree to move 1 there & they'll worry about finding an owner then.

Interesting thing in an article I read on the Winnipeg Free Press site from the CP eluding to a Hockey Night in Canada event in "an unspecified "Eastern location" " as well as all other 7 Canadian hockey markets.

"The concerts would run on Saturdays to co-ordinate with its hockey broadcast schedule and see shows in Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Montreal and an unspecified "Eastern location." They would run from November 2012 to April 2013."

WPF Article

It's not much, and a little obvious if they're trying to hint at something which the NHL would be pretty pissed with CBC if they were.

We should fully expect to see a team in Quebec within the next few years, especially with the commitment to building the Quebecor Arena (set to open in 2015).

I`d see the Blue Jacekts moving before the Coyotes. The BJs are in financial dismay and aren`t winning, thus they ultimately have no value to keep around. I can understand the Coyotes are currently winning, and the NHL hopes that will attract a fan base. The Blue Jackets don`t have that luxury, as they are bottom five in attendance as well as being the worst team in the NHL, despite boasting a decent blue-line and offensive corps.

• 1 month later...

Well the team still isn't sold and it appears Jamison won't have the money even with the lease agreement with the city of Glendale. It seems that deal is near if not already dead. There appears to still be a window of opportunity for the NHL to move the Coyotes to Quebec for next season but only if they do so within the next couple of weeks pending no lockout. Anyone else have faith that the relocation will take place in time for next season?

I think Seattle is more complicated than that. They are hinging movement on both the basketball and hockey coming back. I don't think you can get one without the other. If it happens though I hope they pick a better name than seattle's old hockey team...the Metropolitans. It sounds like a male version of sex and the city on lifetime.

I think Seattle is more complicated than that. They are hinging movement on both the basketball and hockey coming back. I don't think you can get one without the other. If it happens though I hope they pick a better name than seattle's old hockey team...the Metropolitans. It sounds like a male version of sex and the city on lifetime.

Yeah, no. Plenty of things I can think of over that:

The Seattle Gold Rush (in homage to its history)?

Seattle Rock? Seattle Sea"insert something about the sea".?

Next seasons schedule has already been released. For good or bad the yotes will not be moved for the start of 2012.

After seeing so much of the little behind the scenes stuff that needs to be done on top of all the major stuff here last year with the Thrashers move to Winnipeg there is zero time to have a move made right now. The move would be so poorly done that it would be an embarrassment to the league. They'll eat their loses in Phoenix for another season before they let that happen.

I can't wait for a team to get back to Quebec City, but that or any other relocation isn't taking place for this upcoming season.

Next seasons schedule has already been released. For good or bad the yotes will not be moved for the start of 2012.

After seeing so much of the little behind the scenes stuff that needs to be done on top of all the major stuff here last year with the Thrashers move to Winnipeg there is zero time to have a move made right now. The move would be so poorly done that it would be an embarrassment to the league. They'll eat their loses in Phoenix for another season before they let that happen.

I can't wait for a team to get back to Quebec City, but that or any other relocation isn't taking place for this upcoming season.

TN had most of their ducks in a row due to the AHL organization but were still hard pressed to get everything in place by the start of the season (GM, coach, draft, etc. with only months to do it). The had to play the season (& this 1) in the most unlikely division in the league. They did a great job. Last year was basically the Thrashers in an arena that knows/loves hockey. Next season is a Jets team due to additions/deletions & re-signing the players TN saw as improvements over what they bought.

It's much to late to move a franchise. A city could buy a franchise with the provision the league doesn't allow the transfer until next season (eat the loss on a lame duck in return for admission to the BoG). That gives them a year to get their management/coaching in place vs. the months the Jets had. They'll actually have a chance to meet/interview their current players & see if they fit their plan.

Hopefully the CBA is done soon & the sale too. That allows the NHL time to properly draw up divisions/conferences.

I must be one of the few that has no desire to see a team in QC...

Don't think its good for the economic of the league. Fans and a full building.. yeah great optics.. but they'll be another team that would be challenged to stay in the black... ala the flames and the Jets.

The flames finally came out and stated they wouldn't be spending to the cap like previous yrs... and that was before it was announced to be at $70mil.. The Flames will actually make a modest profit now by curtailing player cost a bit...

The flames finally came out and stated they wouldn't be spending to the cap like previous yrs... and that was before it was announced to be at $70mil.. The Flames will actually make a modest profit now by curtailing player cost a bit...

I thought it was Dreger (or someone like that) that came out and said the Flames would not be a cap team and not the Flames themselves...

According to capgeek, the Flames only have $3,531,668 in cap space and that does not include Irvings contract from today... http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=9

The reason why bettman wants teams like phoenix to stay put is cause its an untapped market. Its not stadium attendence it's tv ratings.

Quebecers will watch hockey wether our not they have a team. Phoenix is the opposite.

THis is bang on. the nhl gets most of it's revenu from the tv networks. arena funds mostly go to their respected team.

• 6 months later...

Well its looking more and more like the Coyotes are on their way out of the desert and back into the Great White North. Jamison failed to buy the team by his deadline thus proving he cannot, and will not aquire the funds necessary to buy the team. No other owners have stepped forward and the city is refusing to give the NHL any more money. The team has to sell this season and its looking like the team will sell to PKP after the regular season and the Coyotes will relocate to Quebec as the rebranded Nordiques.

Archived