Mitch Wahl Joins Hamilton Bulldogs

Mitch Wahl Joins Hamilton Bulldogs

MONTREAL, QUE. (November 17, 2011) – Montreal Canadiens General Manager Pierre Gauthier announced today that the Calgary Flames have loaned centre Mitch Wahl to the Hamilton Bulldogs. The forward is scheduled to join the team in Montreal, where they will host the Binghamton Senators (AHL affiliate of the Ottawa Senators) at the Bell Centre tomorrow night at 7:30 p.m.

Wahl, 21, has played in five games with the Abbotsford Heat this season recording no points and a -2 rating. Wahl has also played five games for the Utah Grizzlies of the ECHL recording seven points (5 goals, 2 assists) and a + 5 rating. The 6-0, 202-pound forward played in 273 games for the Spokane Chiefs of the WHL recording 284 points (98 goals, 186 assists) and 287 penalty minutes. The native of Seal Beach, California was a Memorial Cup Champion with the Chiefs in 2007-2008 where he played 21 games recording 14 points (6 goals, 8 assists) and six penalty minutes.

This minor event passed by us unnoticed.

I would consider this bad news with respect to the probability of Wahl playing for the Flames in the future.

Have we given up on him or am I misreading this development?

I think it's too early to say that Pyro.

They are giving him a chance to get some ice time. Any decisions made about his future will come after the season.

I'm glad he's in the AHL, the Flames are doing the right thing finding him a home there and getting him out of the ECHL (he's way too good to be in that league).

After his incident last year, it is going to take a lot of time and patience to even get him back to where he once was. I have a hard time believing he's fully recovered. I hope the Flames do what they can to stick with him, but they can't let it hold back the success of the Heat this year either.

http://passittobulis.blogspot.com/2010/11/aaron-volpatti-crushes-mitch-wahl-it-is.html

Best case scenario: He has a so-so season with the Bulldogs, but finishes it strong. Joins the Heat next year, and has a strong AHL season, reclaiming his title as one of the Flames top prospects. He still has time to be a late bloomer if he sticks with it and doesn't get discouraged.

This minor event passed by us unnoticed.

I would consider this bad news with respect to the probability of Wahl playing for the Flames in the future.

Have we given up on him or am I misreading this development?

i think you are misreading it. The Flames signed a bunch of guys to get Abbotsford in the habit of winning because winning is a learned behavior. As a result some decent guys are not getting time, instead of having him toil in the ECHL they are giving him a chance elsewhere so he can get some playing time. This is good for both us and Wahl imo

After his incident last year, it is going to take a lot of time and patience to even get him back to where he once was. I have a hard time believing he's fully recovered. I hope the Flames do what they can to stick with him, but they can't let it hold back the success of the Heat this year either.

http://passittobulis.blogspot.com/2010/11/aaron-volpatti-crushes-mitch-wahl-it-is.html

Careers usually end on those kind of hits but Wahl had a "decent" camp this October in the tryouts (if i remember correctly) and i think that was encouraging.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It has not been pretty for Wahl, but things are progressing.

This season, he's so far shown that he's too good for the ECHL (would have ran away with the scoring title), and has since been trying to regain his form in the AHL.

He's finally collected his first point:

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1009015

This is his first AHL point in over a year, and his first point since the "incident".

For a player who once looked like he would a point-per-game player in the AHL and quickly join the NHL ranks, this kid has sure had a struggle. But, he has not quit. Give him credit for that, and let's hope he continues to regain his form while he's still young.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up another point last night to finish off December on a positive note...good for him.

November stats: 0 points, Minus 4 (ouch)

December stats: 2 points in 9 games, Plus two (meh)

He's shown a fair bit of improvement, going from the ECHL, to "ouch" status in the AHL, and now "meh" status in December.

In all seriousness, his point last night was apparently a pretty fantastic pass. Great for him...and for the organization if he's able to continue the improvement. Let's see if we can get past "meh", now :)

Picked up another point last night to finish off December on a positive note...good for him.

November stats: 0 points, Minus 4 (ouch)

December stats: 2 points in 9 games, Plus two (meh)

He's shown a fair bit of improvement, going from the ECHL, to "ouch" status in the AHL, and now "meh" status in December.

In all seriousness, his point last night was apparently a pretty fantastic pass. Great for him...and for the organization if he's able to continue the improvement. Let's see if we can get past "meh", now :)

lets if he can score a goal :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

And another point the next game...

Streak or no streak, looks like we might have ourselves a prospect again

http://theahl.com/stats/gamebygame.php?id=3627

we always had a prospect in Wahl. He missed the majority of last season with a serious concussion, look how long its taken Parise to regain his form from his injury last season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Mitch's career sure doesn't look good right now, and that's an understatement as many consider it to be over.

But..

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=91680

40 points in 38 games in the ECHL, as well as 3 goals in 3 games for the playoffs...

I hope that the Heat give him a tryout this year. I know he wasn't offered a tryout at Flames camp, which comes as no surprise.

But, he is basically shaping up to be the best player in the ECHL, and not too long ago, he was one of the Heat's best players (2009/2010 season).

In my mind, this is just a massive recovery processes. There is still an outside chance that he could return to being an effective AHL player. If he can, he's still young enough to be re-considered as an NHL prospect.

So close...he's looking to be the best player in the ECHL this year, but what he really needs is to be an effective AHL player.

Good to know...too bad. That's more dangerous than a concussion. Although...they could be related.

That is just speculation on my part. The Flames have made no formal announcements. My speculation is based on Wahls time in the ECHL last season, his request to be loaned off the Heat, the lack of space on the Heat roster, and the fact he wasn't invited to the Flames development camp.

That is just speculation on my part. The Flames have made no formal announcements. My speculation is based on Wahls time in the ECHL last season, his request to be loaned off the Heat, the lack of space on the Heat roster, and the fact he wasn't invited to the Flames development camp.

Yeah, that seems like a pretty clear message.

It's too bad, but there are only 50 contracts and you have to play the percentages with prospects.

Archived