Louis23

According to dregers twitter, Eakins will named head coach tomorrow. I think it's a good fit and I like Eakins as a coach but it sure is making Edmonton look silly. Fire you coach on Skype and fire him to replace him with someone you thought could be your associate coach. Not surprised Though given their brain trust. I didn't think Kruger was a very good coach to begin with so I don't blame me fore the move just think eh handled it poorly.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Eakins is a gamble.  An AHL coach that seems to be doing a decent job doesn't always equate to success in the big leagues.

They should have brought someone in like AV, or even Torts.  Yeah Torts isn't the best personality behind the bench, and the camera for that matter, but the guy knows how to motivate his players, and he's a perennial playoff guru.  He missed one season of playoffs in his 4 year tenure with the Rangers.  He would have whipped that losing mentality into shape.

I don't disagree that it's a gamble but its one worth taking IMO. I think Eakins is going to make a good coach he can develop but he can also motivate and while he has never been a head coach at e NHL level he was an assistant to he knows a bit how it works. It's a risk but I really like Eakins, he was who I wanted for the flames last year but having said tht with someone like AV available tht would be tempting. I personally think torts is done in the NHL unless its an interim thing.

reguardless of who the oilers have hired/fired do they truely believe that again a new coach will solve there reoccuring problems?

Just because you have garnished a plethra of top picks in the last few years does not make you a perinneal cup contender, Lowe has done little to nothing to address role players and chemistry, and so far MacT has done lip service of big moves but the only thing that has happened is calling out two vets (one being your captain, and the other your leading point producer since the lockout) and giving a nod to Krueger as coach and then firing the man via skype (a total of 5 mins according to Krueger)

MacT deals with situations like a high school boy and ends relationships via text or in this situation skype.

You gotta think that not only players but now personell look at these examples and question about joining this orgainization.

The day will have to eventually come when the Oilers brass finally decide that the coach is not the problem in Edmonton.  They have to make the roster better, switching coaches and putting the new one on an hourly wage for his 6 month temp job is not going to fix the team.

Ugh.. issue after issue, yet they never attack the important ones.  So infuriating.

What is really baffleing me is where MacT mentioned he was interviewing coaches for a Veteran Assistant(Associate) position, when he realized that Kruger didn't measure up to his view of things and that he realized that he should really interviewing for the coaches job.

I think I got that right but the rumors are an AHL coach with no experience will be hired..huh?? If you wanted some veteran coaching experience in your coaching staff then hire one of the many highly qualified coaches presently looking for work.

I just listened to the pressy. He sounded exactly like Hartley last year when he was hired.

1. We will be a fit club.

2. We will compete every night.

Do coaches have standard buzz answers to questions from press just like the players these days? Throw in some dry jokes and the only difference to Hatrley's interview would be less grey hair and no NHL experience to qualify his abilities.

He may be a good coach but changing out one motivater who started out with no head coach experience, after had half a season for another motivating head coach with no experience just doesn't sound like a step forward. I guess the Oilers brass identified a lack of motivation to go this route again.

Your fans over in the Oiler forums seem to like the change so if nothing else it will pacify the fans for a year or two if and when things don't go that well.

President - who has 5 cups....as a player 30 years ago.  You'd be wise to believe he knows what it takes to win.

GM - a head coach with no GM experience.  First order of business...fires the head coach after confirming his job will be safe not 7 weeks ago.

Head Coach - an AHL head coach with no NHL head coaching experience.  The Leafs have had 8 years of drafting and rebuilding.  He's groomed those hand picked prospects to be ready for their NHL debuts.  Lets see what he can do with a offence heavy NHL roster with no back end and a full season with no luxury of groom time.

Lets see what he can do with a offence heavy NHL roster with no back end and a full season with no luxury of groom time.

Don't forget the lack of confidence recently expressed by MacT in regards to goaltending...   :)

Don't forget the lack of confidence recently expressed by MacT in regards to goaltending...   :)

Oh yeah, we can't forget that can we? :D

And with someone grooming players for Eakins now. he may not get the development he was able to pump out so efficiently.  It's like opening your christmas presensts as a kid and expecting a much awaited Transformer but end up getting the cheap knock off GoBot. :lol:

Which I believe to be actually one of the strongest aspects of the team.  When you have a goalie that is in the leagues top 5 for shots against (just checked, he was sixth) yet still has an impressive .920 save percentage you gotta realize that your goaltending is not the problem.  There are several in our forum that want Dubnyk replaced, but the guy is solid.  We have to fix the real reason we get scored on by getting the opponents shot totals down to at least middle of the pack.  This shooting gallery thing is getting rather tiring to watch.

Which I believe to be actually one of the strongest aspects of the team.  When you have a goalie that is in the leagues top 5 for shots against (just checked, he was sixth) yet still has an impressive .920 save percentage you gotta realize that your goaltending is not the problem.  There are several in our forum that want Dubnyk replaced, but the guy is solid.  We have to fix the real reason we get scored on by getting the opponents shot totals down to at least middle of the pack.  This shooting gallery thing is getting rather tiring to watch.

A stud D-man would do wonders for your team.  Sorry, but I don't think J.Shultz is the saviour.  As for goaltending, I would wait for a full season before being 100% sold on Dubie.  He might just be all smoke... :D

A stud D-man would do wonders for your team.  Sorry, but I don't think J.Shultz is the saviour.  As for goaltending, I would wait for a full season before being 100% sold on Dubie.  He might just be all smoke... :D

up-in-smoke-fest_concert_13041974455137.

Haha yea maybe that's what he does before games to prepare for the target practice he is about to face ;)

The thing about dubnyk is this year wasn't just a one-off, every year his numbers have improved and every year his ice time has increased. He has what it takes, he's shown he can handle it. I agree that Jultz isn't enough, he is so young yet for a defenseman and they take longer to develop, he will be a stud but Edmonton needs more than just one guy, our whole D core is week and needs upgrades

:rolleyes: Well...   At least Chong has his playoff beard going...

and George Parros has got nothing on Cheech... :)

Haha yea maybe that's what he does before games to prepare for the target practice he is about to face ;)

The thing about dubnyk is this year wasn't just a one-off, every year his numbers have improved and every year his ice time has increased. He has what it takes, he's shown he can handle it. I agree that Jultz isn't enough, he is so young yet for a defenseman and they take longer to develop, he will be a stud but Edmonton needs more than just one guy, our whole D core is week and needs upgrades

I wouldn't call Dubs a top dog, but I do agree he's progressed extremely well.  Looking back 2 seasons ago, he was abysmal.  The Oilers have done a decent job in developing a young tender into an NHL caliber starter.  I would be glad to have him on the Flames.  If you put him behind a team like Boston, Chicago, or LA, the kid would certainly be turning heads.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425379

story_left_arrow.gifstory_right_arrow.gif
Text Size

Edmonton Oilers draft prospect Kristians Pelss has reportedly drowned in his Latvian homeland, according to online news website, Apollo.

The report claims that Pelss leaped to his death Tuesday from a bridge in the capital, Riga.

Latvian Hockey Federation spokesman Maris Gorbunov told Apollo he could neither confirm nor deny reports.

"So far, I know only as much as is written in the media," said Gorbunov.

The 20-year-old forward played for the Oklahoma City Barons of the American Hockey League this past season, where he registered one goal and seven assists in 20 games. He also played 13 games for the Stockton Thunder in the East Coast Hockey League.

He spent the previous two seasons with the Edmonton Oil Kings of the Western Hoc key League, where he scored 42 goals and 83 points in 126 games.

Pelss also represented Latvia at the 2011 and 2012 IIHF World Junior Championships and in the 2009-2010 IIHF World Under-18 Championships.

Pelss was seventh round (181st overall) selection by the Oilers in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

Always terrible news when someone passes before there time.

Rough day for prospects...

Scott Winkler a Dallas prospect also passed away today http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425395

R.I.P

• 3 weeks later...

The worm is probably is summer school.

Spending more time on the Flames board then studying got him that conditional pass again. :)

Take a read of Richard Cloutier on Ek's site. Sounds like a lot of stuff Conner (or Connor/whatever)

would spout from time to time.

I kinda miss the endless, gotta-get-the-last-word-in, Flames suck/Oiler's are headed for greatness (on Highway 2) homey drivel. :)

Archived