Louis23

The Oilers thread is back up and running.  We had moved this thread to the AHL forum, based on recent Oilers play.  However, after receiving complaints from fans of the AHL that were deeply offended, it had to be moved back here.

Let the trash talk continue! Long live the BOA and GO FLAMES GO!!!

Thanks Castle, good to know.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the Oilers are back in there comfort zone one point out of last place, No goals in 6 periods, The kids always start out strong and then blow there load way to early I wonder when management's going to face reality! and how about that goal from center ice last night! Outstanding :)

Glad to see this thread back.

I ran into this the other day while looking for something for the GDT and thought this was quite suitable for this thread when talking about the Oilers Fans and drinking the Kool-Aid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsSXMT0NrB4&feature=player_embedded

Lucy = Oiler Management

Charlie Brown = the Oiler Fans drinking the Kool-aid

If the Oilers had Baertschi, the first thing they'd teach him is how to block shots with his face, and skate awkwardly head-first into the boards on the forecheck.

Lesson #2 would be how to come back too soon from an injury.

"Look like we're finding some new Warriors tonight!"    -Oil Change

Their goaltending's gotten better, though..

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=215897

I admit that I am dissapointed with the Oilers' play thus far this season.

With that being said, I was hoping the Oilers would be a .500 at the end of their road trip. If they win tomorrow they'll be one game below .500 if they lose two but the worst part of the schedule is almost done. They'll have 14 homes games with 8 road games left.

Hypothetically speaking, lets say the Oilers lose tomorrow. They'll have 23 points with 22 games remaining. The magic number is supposed to be 57 points. That means they need 34 points in 22 games. It's not realistic but several teams this season have gone on hot streaks. The Oilers will need to go 17-4-1 in the remaining half of the season. Doable yes, probable no.

I admit that I am dissapointed with the Oilers' play thus far this season.

With that being said, I was hoping the Oilers would be a .500 at the end of their road trip. If they win tomorrow they'll be one game below .500 if they lose two but the worst part of the schedule is almost done. They'll have 14 homes games with 8 road games left.

Hypothetically speaking, lets say the Oilers lose tomorrow. They'll have 23 points with 22 games remaining. The magic number is supposed to be 57 points. That means they need 34 points in 22 games. It's not realistic but several teams this season have gone on hot streaks. The Oilers will need to go 17-4-1 in the remaining half of the season. Doable yes, probable no.

The Oilers have been below expectations this year, no doubt. This should have been their year to emerge as a true bubble team in the run for the playoffs at the deadline. 

Instead they are pretty safely out unless they go on a tear of a winning streak which isn't likely. 

All the things many of us have preached over the years on the total rebuild should now be coming into focus. Total rebuilds are high risk, yes they can work but they can also fail. The Oiler's performance this year is a disappointment but the real sting will be next year if they miss the playoffs again.

The clock truly strikes midnight next year if the Oilers miss the playoffs again, if that comes to pass that will be 8 straight years out of the playoffs… That is worse than Calgary's infamous dark age and of course the Flames did not have 3 - #1 picks on their roster at the time either...

The Oilers have been below expectations this year, no doubt. This should have been their year to emerge as a true bubble team in the run for the playoffs at the deadline. 

Instead they are pretty safely out unless they go on a tear of a winning streak which isn't likely. 

All the things many of us have preached over the years on the total rebuild should now be coming into focus. Total rebuilds are high risk, yes they can work but they can also fail. The Oiler's performance this year is a disappointment but the real sting will be next year if they miss the playoffs again.

The clock truly strikes midnight next year if the Oilers miss the playoffs again, if that comes to pass that will be 8 straight years out of the playoffs… That is worse than Calgary's infamous dark age and of course the Flames did not have 3 - #1 picks on their roster at the time either...

Being that the schedule will now be in their favour, it is likely they rise in the standings. Enough to be in the playoffs is unlikely but enough to be in the mix is not out of question.

If the Oilers remain in the bottom 6 in the league, they better relieve Tambellini as GM. I would want a replacement GM that is an outsider, someone not of Oilers history. I hope though they fire Tambellini after the draft lottery. Got to keep him for what he's good at.

Being that the schedule will now be in their favour, it is likely they rise in the standings. Enough to be in the playoffs is unlikely but enough to be in the mix is not out of question.

If the Oilers remain in the bottom 6 in the league, they better relieve Tambellini as GM. I would want a replacement GM that is an outsider, someone not of Oilers history. I hope though they fire Tambellini after the draft lottery. Got to keep him for what he's good at.

My pre-season expectation, even as a Flames first fan was for the Oilers, at worst, to finish no lower than 11th in the West and no lower than 20th overall. I actually thought they may even make the playoffs due to the shortened season working in their favor. 

Playoffs seem out of reach, softer schedule or not, so it is just standings finish at this point in time to start to gauge success. Next season will be longer and a new playoff format as well and again the expectation has to be playoffs for 2014. The Oilers have to start making moves in real time now to make the playoffs, if not this season than next for sure. 

I don't doubt that they will win games, but let's face it, they are around .500 at home, so that is less than 48 pts. Not that far out of it, but not really out of the bottom 6.

The optimist, eh...

We knew the this 9 gamer would be the make or break point of the season like it was last yr, and how important it was for them to make hey on their 5 game homestand before beginning that trek... 2-3.

8 outta the 9 roads games done - 2 wins.

Edm's 4 wins in 10 home games doesn't really spring a strong ray of hope.

I do expect the Oil to make a run right before the season ends tho...  after the pressure is off.

just enough of one where they can conclude in the season finale of Oil Change.. 'hey, we're moving in the right direction!', 'you really saw the kids take the next step there.'

The only team you may catch in the standings may be the Canucks. 

My pre-season expectation, even as a Flames first fan was for the Oilers, at worst, to finish no lower than 11th in the West and no lower than 20th overall. I actually thought they may even make the playoffs due to the shortened season working in their favor. 

Playoffs seem out of reach, softer schedule or not, so it is just standings finish at this point in time to start to gauge success. Next season will be longer and a new playoff format as well and again the expectation has to be playoffs for 2014. The Oilers have to start making moves in real time now to make the playoffs, if not this season than next for sure. 

This shortened season is making the standings more difficult to interpret. Yes the Oilers are 14th in the west but they can be either 5, 6 or 7 points from the division lead pending tonights game.

Obvisously the Oilers will have to go on a streak to have any sort of chance of even being in the mix but if there is a part of the season where they were to string a few together, it's after this road trip.

I don't doubt that they will win games, but let's face it, they are around .500 at home, so that is less than 48 pts. Not that far out of it, but not really out of the bottom 6.

Yeah, if they play at a similar level that they have thus far this season being a bubble team is a stretch.

The optimist, eh...

We knew the this 9 gamer would be the make or break point of the season like it was last yr, and how important it was for them to make hey on their 5 game homestand before beginning that trek... 2-3.

8 outta the 9 roads games done - 2 wins.

Edm's 4 wins in 10 home games doesn't really spring a strong ray of hope.

I do expect the Oil to make a run right before the season ends tho...  after the pressure is off.

just enough of one where they can conclude in the season finale of Oil Change.. 'hey, we're moving in the right direction!', 'you really saw the kids take the next step there.'

The only team you may catch in the standings may be the Canucks. 

It's still so tight. Any team can get hot and make a big jump in the standings. Only Chicago is completely out of reach.

All good teams have waves of hot cold and average play. Chicago was Hot and is now trending toward the cold and average the question is for how long. The easy part is getting to the top the difficult part is staying there.

Ducks will catch the Hawks by the 21st.

All good teams have waves of hot cold and average play. Chicago was Hot and is now trending toward the cold and average the question is for how long. The easy part is getting to the top the difficult part is staying there.

Correction... the easy part is getting to the bottom... at least the Flames made it look easy :(

Correction... the easy part is getting to the bottom... at least the Flames made it look easy :(

I have a feeling Flames are going to be a bubble team come the trade deadline. I am very curious to see what Feaster's moves will be this trade deadline.

As for the Oilers, I think they will make a trade or trades only if it doesn't cost anybody 25 or younger but helps more than just this season. It would be a tough market though if that is the case.

I have a feeling Flames are going to be a bubble team come the trade deadline. I am very curious to see what Feaster's moves will be this trade deadline.

As for the Oilers, I think they will make a trade or trades only if it doesn't cost anybody 25 or younger but helps more than just this season. It would be a tough market though if that is the case.

I'd be worried about any trades your GM makes. Even your own Fans are becoming concerned.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/3/12/4092074/steve-tambellinis-transaction-trade-signing-history

I'd also be concerned about those players he lets go:

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/3/13/4096596/tambellinis-discards

I don't see your team making any moves upward until they can get some better 5vs5 numbers. Worst in the league.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/teamstats.php?disp=1&db=201213&sit=5v5&sort=CFPCT&sortdir=DESC

They are struggling with allowing a lot more shots against compared to your shots for. Those are not easy things to change.

As for the Flames I hope they can string a few together and enough to get back into a playoff bubble position. I will wait and see while keeping my mojo stuff(see mojo thread) going.

I'd be worried about any trades your GM makes. Even your own Fans are becoming concerned.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/3/12/4092074/steve-tambellinis-transaction-trade-signing-history

I'd also be concerned about those players he lets go:

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/3/13/4096596/tambellinis-discards

I don't see your team making any moves upward until they can get some better 5vs5 numbers. Worst in the league.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/teamstats.php?disp=1&db=201213&sit=5v5&sort=CFPCT&sortdir=DESC

They are struggling with allowing a lot more shots against compared to your shots for. Those are not easy things to change.

As for the Flames I hope they can string a few together and enough to get back into a playoff bubble position. I will wait and see while keeping my mojo stuff(see mojo thread) going.

Tambellini isn't going to trade away anyone franchise changing (Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, Schultz). I get the sense that Tambellini is going to be a buyer but more of a long term buyer (more than just the end of the season ie no rentals).

The 5 on 5 goals have been hard to come by but people are misinterpreting the 5 on 5 shots. There is difference between a shot and a scoring chance. Lots of teams play systems to allow teams to take shots from the outside but make it difficult to get shots from the slot or other higher percentage areas. MacTavish did a great job playing this system which got the Oilers to game 7 of the SCF.

Anyways, Oilers are -18 on 5 on 5 goals, Flames -15. Edmonton has better special teams than Calgary.

Thus far, both Alberta teams have underachieved. I expect both to have a better 2nd half to the season but which one will end up on top?

EDIT PS: I find it comical you're telling me I should be worried about my general manager after Feaster almost gave the Flames' 1st and 3rd round picks away for FREE.

Tambellini isn't going to trade away anyone franchise changing (Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, Schultz). I get the sense that Tambellini is going to be a buyer but more of a long term buyer (more than just the end of the season ie no rentals).

The 5 on 5 goals have been hard to come by but people are misinterpreting the 5 on 5 shots. There is difference between a shot and a scoring chance. Lots of teams play systems to allow teams to take shots from the outside but make it difficult to get shots from the slot or other higher percentage areas. MacTavish did a great job playing this system which got the Oilers to game 7 of the SCF.

Anyways, Oilers are -18 on 5 on 5 goals, Flames -15. Edmonton has better special teams than Calgary.

Thus far, both Alberta teams have underachieved. I expect both to have a better 2nd half to the season but which one will end up on top?

EDIT PS: I find it comical you're telling me I should be worried about my general manager after Feaster almost gave the Flames' 1st and 3rd round picks away for FREE.

It is unlikely any of us will ever know if Feaster "Almost gave away" some picks but that discussion was thouroughly discussed in the Fire Feaster thread. One thing we "do know" for sure is we still have the picks in our possesion.

Funny how some now feel Feaster knew that he wouldn't have lost any picks and knew exactly what he was doing.

http://www.mcsorleys-stick.com/2013/03/jay-feaster-righ/

Personally I don't think he ever expected to get ROR. I think the move was a calculated move to cost the Avs future cap space. Not unlike his move to up the bid on Ryan Smyth"...lol You guys sure fell for that one.

Not sure what you find comical. I presented you with a solid article explaining your GM's poor performance on trades and another on players he let get away. You can stick your head in the sand on the lists or try to deflect it if you like but that is history today. None of it was Almost lost or Almost traded stuff.

It is unlikely any of us will ever know if Feaster "Almost gave away" some picks but that discussion was thouroughly discussed in the Fire Feaster thread. One thing we "do know" for sure is we still have the picks in our possesion.

Funny how some now feel Feaster knew that he wouldn't have lost any picks and knew exactly what he was doing.

Personally I don't think he ever expected to get ROR. I think the move was a calculated move to cost the Avs future cap space. Not unlike his move to up the bid on Ryan Smyth"...lol You guys sure fell for that one.

Not sure what you find comical. I presented you with a solid article explaining your GM's poor performance on trades and another on players he let get away. You can stick your head in the sand on the lists or try to deflect it if you like but that is history today. None of it was Almost lost or Almost traded stuff.

Please. If Sherman just took another 24 hours to make his decision, he would have O'Rielly and the Flames 1st and 3rd. If only that would have happened, could you imagine the sh!t storm?

How did the Flames raise the price for Smyth? We got him for Colin Fraser and a 7th. Fraser probably had negative trade value at the    time. 

As for what you posted, you look at it with a bias. His signings are mostly meh. Other than Schultz, none of them have been impactful or handicapping the team.

On his "discards", I would only want the Cole and Brodziak trade back.

.Funny how some now feel Feaster knew that he wouldn't have lost any picks and knew exactly what he was doing.

Here's another article from the same guy from earlier in the day than your link...   This one has more of a breakdown of the logic of his opinion...   It looks like Feaster did have a case as this part of the CBA was poorly written and there appears to be a loophole...   But I'm pretty sure it will be amended too...   http://www.mcsorleys-stick.com/2013/03/why-im-wrong-and-everyone-is-also-wrong/

No they haven't. Neither team will be significantly better in the 2nd alf of the season. Neither team has the right mix to be a playoff team this year, the question isn't "who will be better?" it is "who will be worse?"

No they haven't. Neither team will be significantly better in the 2nd alf of the season. Neither team has the right mix to be a playoff team this year, the question isn't "who will be better?" it is "who will be worse?"

I disagree.

Both the Flames and Oilers should be at least bubble teams from the outside looking in according to what's on paper.

The Flames are a veteran team with depth but no elite talent.

The Oilers are a skilled team with skilled depth with ok goaltending and ok defence but the Oilers lack of experience is hurting them.

If one of the Oilers or the Flames go on a tear, they could wind up in the playoffs but that is something hard to predict.

Have to disagree that Edmonton is more skilled and have elite talent when they are 25th in goals for and rank 21st in goals against, far from elite. Your problem isnt experiance it is talent. You have poor defense, poor goaltending and small offensive forwards to cant play both sides. Do you have some skilled forwards I agree. I do agree that both teams have similar issues we need to move some veterans for younger players and you need to move some younger talent to get better on the back end. WIth being bubble teams who cares, may be  a step forward for Oilers but Calgary has been a bubble team for to many years.

I disagree.

Both the Flames and Oilers should be at least bubble teams from the outside looking in according to what's on paper.

The Flames are a veteran team with depth but no elite talent.

The Oilers are a skilled team with skilled depth with ok goaltending and ok defence but the Oilers lack of experience is hurting them.

If one of the Oilers or the Flames go on a tear, they could wind up in the playoffs but that is something hard to predict.

Have to disagree that Edmonton is more skilled and have elite talent when they are 25th in goals for and rank 21st in goals against, far from elite. Your problem isnt experiance it is talent. You have poor defense, poor goaltending and small offensive forwards to cant play both sides. Do you have some skilled forwards I agree. I do agree that both teams have similar issues we need to move some veterans for younger players and you need to move some younger talent to get better on the back end. WIth being bubble teams who cares, may be  a step forward for Oilers but Calgary has been a bubble team for to many years.

You have to understand where Conner is coming from. He says things this way on purpose. It justifies what he has been trying to tell us around here for years. At leat in his mind.

When he says something like "If one of the Oilers or the Flames go on a tear" he is trying to group the two teams together like they are on equal footing via association. (yeah right) He truly belives it I think, yet everyone and their dog know Oilers are mired in the same problems as last year(substandard goaltending and poor Defence).

The difference is they don't have injuries to Defence to fall back on this year. They can't say "just wait until Ryan Whitney is healthy" anymore, as this year he is healthy and the D is still crap. In his mind he has to justify an improved Oiler team, yet the BJ's are knocking on their back door and threatning to pass them.

(Sorry they aren't knocking they just kicked their door down and passed them)66e1d1f58a5acfb578d668b1118bcbb0.png?136

The only salvation for the Oilers is the Avs seem to be dropping an anchor in the bottom slot this season.

Archived