Louis23

You know, I don't come here to "rumble", I come here to talk hockey. I am respectful of your team and the members of this forum. If it makes you feel better to slag the team with meaningless and inaccurate interpretations of them, by all means go for it, but just remember that for the time being Edmonton is in the mix. They aren't good enough yet but they are improving.

I do come on this particular thread to "rumble" (sometimes). I am respectful of Oilers fans, and I am respectful of you. My apologies if some of my posts came across as personal. I wasn't targeting you when I replied to your post, I just saw a cheap opportunity and I decided to take it. This is, after all, an Oilers thread on a Flames forum.

But yes, it does make me feel better to slag this Oilers team with meaningless and inaccurate interpretations of them. Why? Because it's a lot more pleasant than a truthful conversation about the Oiler's organization.

I'll have you know that I have Cheered for the Oilers. I'm an Albertan, and I want the Cup in this province where it belongs. But right now, I'm genuinely unimpressed with the Oilers organization from the ownership on down to the marketing, and I feel that the fans have been taken advantage of.

I think the Oilers fans deserve a better organization, and that in a few short years they'll be demanding it as well.

In the meantime, the only thing I can do is make constant fun of the team and celebrate the humour in their losses. Laughter is the best medicine.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possible logic for the Too Many Men to NOT be called:

You come over the boards and play the puck before your teammate is off the the ice... penalty as per usual.

In this case the puck was fired into Benn's chest as he popped over the boards with (Roy?) within the acceptable 10 ft zone?

- He didn't make an active attempt to play the thing.. It was shot into him.

Maybe that's it?

Otherwise wouldn't players be firing pucks at people jumping over the boards all the time if it was so black n white rule?

Just thinking out loud...

Nah it was just a blown call. Notice I am not calling it biased, or fixed.

last night was just a case of 2 blown calls leading directly to goals against. There are usually several blown calls n a game, going both ways. It is rare that more than one will lead to a goal against the same team.

Deeds, I get that every team sees blown calls, but sometime they do cost teams games. The Dallas game was one of those times.

Just wanted to say how great Sam Gagner is playing this year! Huge surprise...the media outlets say nobody even saw it coming!

I Wonder why that is?

http://www.capgeek.com/oilers/

Maybe he's auditioning for the Flames? Don't worry, we won't take him from you, we'll let you sign him for too much money (if he'll stay). Besides, if you can't sign him, you'll get lots of draft picks. And we all know nobody loves draft picks more than Edmonton. We're waiting to see which of your players we want next year. Tough decision between Hopkins and Schultz...I'm leaning towards Schultz

Just wanted to say how great Sam Gagner is playing this year! Huge surprise...the media outlets say nobody even saw it coming!

When rumours started last season that Gagner was on the market and could be had for a decent price, I thought he could possibly be a good addition for the Flames if the right deal could be worked out... A few people including myself said as much here on the boards a couple of times...

Then he had that eight point game, and it was said that his price had gone up substantially... I sure don't see the Oilers parting with him now though... :)

Sooooo...

The Nuge - day to day with that shoulder (is it the same shoulder as last yr?)

Horcoff - 4-6 weeks

Belanger - a week or so

Lander - 4-6 weeks. Foot is broken.

I'm pretty sure Unrefined gets his wish of seeing Vandevelde now.

Do we see Tambellini pull the trigger on an actual hockey trade...

I have little faith he could.

The Horcoff injury is the biggest one being the main shut down checking 3rd line center the Oil played. So acquiring a Tim Connolly should not be the play here... need a defensive center, ideally with some size and physicality.

Or maybe the Oilers do go to a Connolly-type if they think Belanger will come back be that guy for the 3rd line.

So the question is... how serious are the Oilers about making the playoffs this yr? Will they ride this out, or attempt to add to the depth.

Can't imagine how frustrating this must... probably just funny now when news like this comes out...

What would Oilers fan like to see now?

A move to help stop the bleeding?

Sit tight, ride it out, hope for the best and wait for next yr?

Sooooo...

Horcoff - 4-6 weeks

Belanger - a week or so

The Horcoff injury is the biggest one being the main shut down checking 3rd line center the Oil played. So acquiring a Tim Connolly should not be the play here... need a defensive center, ideally with some size and physicality.

Or maybe the Oilers do go to a Connolly-type if they think Belanger will come back be that guy for the 3rd line.

So the question is... how serious are the Oilers about making the playoffs this yr? Will they ride this out, or attempt to add to the depth.

Can't imagine how frustrating this must... probably just funny now when news like this comes out...

First off, Nuge and Belanger back this weekend. Horcoff out a month.

Second, it would be foolish for the Oilers to make a desperation trade right now. Teams are going to being asking too much and offering little. High price for mediocre talent.

Tambellini could sign a UFA but this is not an ideal time for a trade. The centres in question are back soon or a month from now so paying a high price for a player that isn't going to contribute much other than lessen the injury blow isn't worth it.

With that being said, I'd like for the Oilers to sign Arnott pending medical.

Second, it would be foolish for the Oilers to make a desperation trade right now. Teams are going to being asking too much and offering little. High price for mediocre talent.

.... paying a high price for a player that isn't going to contribute much other than lessen the injury blow isn't worth it.

Don't you think mediocre talents who don't contribute much would fit in better with the current Oilers roster?

Sounds like a good fit to me.

Either way, there's always next year...right?

And I DO mean...Always

Tambellini could sign a UFA but this is not an ideal time for a trade. The centres in question are back soon or a month from now so paying a high price for a player that isn't going to contribute much other than lessen the injury blow isn't worth it.

My whole post pointed to the issue of missing Horcoff. The others are non-issues at the moment considering their timelines.

The point - The Oilers are missing their defensive checking shutdown center. So i'm asking is missing him for 33% of the season doable? Do the Oilers have the personnel to fill that role? Will they just roll with Belanger and the youngens that are healthy?

(i.e. they've lost the 2 games he's missed, and the game he got hurt in)

Defensive 3rd line Centers aren't readily available.. and that will be the reason we likely won't see a move. That, or Tamby for some reason likes what he has.

In terms of the market... if anything, the NJ-LA and LA-Fla trades have shown that prices for mediocre depth pieces may not be too shabby at the moment. So aim a little higher, spend a little more and add a piece that will help, maybe even long term if its an actual hockey trade.

But UFA's is another way to try to go. Arnott choosing to come to Edm may be your biggest challenge.

I for obvious reasons hopes Tabby sits tight..

Tambo should look for help. But he won't.

The Oilers have a built-in excuse for failure and a low standard to maintain.

They will take the easy road and maintain it.

Look for the Oilers to target yet another lottery pick (much easier than making real hockey decisions)

Arnott failed the physical in NY didnt he? Might not be any different in Edmonton.

It may only be a month that Horcoff is out but a month is a third of the season right now. Any injuries to anyone are magnified right now.

Sooooo...

I don't really wish to see VV. I just prefer him to Arcobello.

I think if VV can have a decent success rate on the dot, and Belanger comes back very soon they could fill in for Horcoff for a month. I am not optimistic that VV could fill this role on his own, though.

I would love to see tambo do something here, this wouldn't have to be any kind of marquee trade. We could move some non-prime assets and fill a serous hole we have in our development system.

Arnott failed the physical in NY didnt he?

Depending on why he failed his physical he could be worth a look.

They could offer him the same type of conditional deal the rags did, and check him out.

I am thinking that injuries, reffing, youth, team depth all are a part of what most teams are going to go through this shortened season. Injuries already has popped up and hit both the Flames and Oilers.

I could try to say that the Flames are dealing with the refs and potential problems by saying it appears we are not taking penalties as often as all the other teams. I am sure the Oiler fans don't see it as that simplistic.

Refs aside... we can't let those things be an excuse. Same with the injuries, which will now spotlight the depth for each team. While the Oilers have been still been filling regular roster spots, do they have the depth to insert competant players from the farm? The prospect grading websites say you should easily, but the jury is still out from my point of view. How many are NHL ready compared to how many are still in potential mode.

As for Calgary? Well many claim we don't have much farm system left, and our prospects are far worse than the Oilers. Time will tell for sure but last season our depth allowed us to stay in the mix for a playoff spot when we were suffering the 2nd most injuries of all NHL teams.

Tambo should look for help. But he won't.

The Oilers have a built-in excuse for failure and a low standard to maintain.

They will take the easy road and maintain it.

Look for the Oilers to target yet another lottery pick (much easier than making real hockey decisions)

"Jonesing for Jones" or "Grinnin' for MacKinnon"?

:lol:

Sorry Oiler fans but this seems custom made for KLowe & his puppet.

I do come on this particular thread to "rumble" (sometimes). I am respectful of Oilers fans, and I am respectful of you. My apologies if some of my posts came across as personal. I wasn't targeting you when I replied to your post, I just saw a cheap opportunity and I decided to take it. This is, after all, an Oilers thread on a Flames forum.

But yes, it does make me feel better to slag this Oilers team with meaningless and inaccurate interpretations of them. Why? Because it's a lot more pleasant than a truthful conversation about the Oiler's organization.

I'll have you know that I have Cheered for the Oilers. I'm an Albertan, and I want the Cup in this province where it belongs. But right now, I'm genuinely unimpressed with the Oilers organization from the ownership on down to the marketing, and I feel that the fans have been taken advantage of.

I think the Oilers fans deserve a better organization, and that in a few short years they'll be demanding it as well.

In the meantime, the only thing I can do is make constant fun of the team and celebrate the humour in their losses. Laughter is the best medicine.

haha no harm no foul jjgalow, it's all good. I was upset because of the loss, it was a game that Edmonton while missing several key players still played good enough to win and very well could have if not for some unfortunate events. I'm over it now, it's not like my team hasn't lost a game or two before :lol: and besides, for the time being it's nice to see an Oilers logo actually above a Flames logo in the NHL standings ;). I think the management has done little to improve the team defensively and physically, and 3rd and 4th lines are just plain not good enough. They are a group of small skilled forwards that will for the time being be easy to beat because they cannot outmuscle their opposition. We are going to get beat in the offensive zone because we aren't strong enough, and going to get beat in the defensive zone because we aren't good enough. There is more to building a competitive hockey team than getting high draft picks and selecting the obvious. There seems to be an unwillingness or lack of ability to see areas of play that need to improve and address them.

Sooooo...

Horcoff - 4-6 weeks

Belanger - a week or so

Good call, they recalled Vandvelde today. I agree with you about Tambellini as I have said in other posts. I am losing more and more faith in him as time goes by. On the surface it appears that he is unable or unwilling to pull off trades. It could very well be that the stigma of "nobody wants to play in Edmonton" is still hanging around and he is trying to make deals but cannot find partners or players willing to make the jump. But seriously, we saw Feaster go to Europe and find somebody very willing to come to Calgary, surely there must be somebody on this planet that isn't named Justin Schultz and is willing to come to Edmonton.

"Jonesing for Jones" or "Grinnin' for MacKinnon"?

:lol:

Sorry Oiler fans but this seems custom made for KLowe & his puppet.

How about "Not winnin' for MacKinnon"

Refs aside... we can't let those things be an excuse.

No saying it's an excuse. i am saying the OT loss in Dallas isn't anything to worry about, because the tea, played well enough to have a real chance to win, and extenuating circumstances facilitated the loss.

... when we were suffering the 2nd most injuries of all NHL teams.

You were among the best for CHIP though. Losing Anton Babchuck for long stretches doesn't compare to losing Crosby, for instance.

It is far easier to replace 4th line injuries than your team's stars.

While the Oilers have been still been filling regular roster spots, do they have the depth to insert competant players from the farm?

No.

outside of our big 4 (the 5th was a FA pickup,) our only prospects with NHL potential are still young and undeveloped.

Hall obviously was NHL ready, but no one else from his draft year is ready to step in. Ditto the later years.

from the prior years, all of the players with potential have already appeared in games. (Ebs obviously, Lander Hartikainen, and Paajarvi.)

IMO aside from those guys the only guys in our system (excluding goalies,)picked before Taylor Hall that shows any potential to play NHL games would be Bigos, and Marincin. Both are at least a season away, if they ever get there.

I think more of our depth prospects will start to be ready as of next year, but as of now we are still paying the price for the years Prendergast ran our amateur scouting.

Our development system might be back on track, but our farm team is still at least one season away from being ready to support our pro roster.

The last few years have reaped us some NHL ready players, but the years before were so barren, that we have no players ready to fill lower roster spots. Had Prendergasts team done a less abysmal job we would have some older guys in the development system who could fill holes, guys drafted between Gagner and Hall who would now be ready to step into the line up, at least at a call up level. Instead we are waiting for the guys who need another year or two of seasoning.

Sutter may have dealt away too many of your team's high picks, but your scouts did an admirable job of finding serviceable players with the pick they had left. Our prior scouting staff dropped the ball entirely. (Hemsky, Dubnyk, and Gagner are really the only bright spots from their entire tenure.--oh and Brodziak so of coarse they let him go for a song )

trusting Prendergast was Lowe's single biggest crime.

No.

outside of our big 4 (the 5th was a FA pickup,) our only prospects with NHL potential are still young and undeveloped.

Hall obviously was NHL ready, but no one else from his draft year is ready to step in. Ditto the later years.

from the prior years, all of the players with potential have already appeared in games. (Ebs obviously, Lander Hartikainen, and Paajarvi.)

IMO aside from those guys the only guys in our system (excluding goalies,)picked before Taylor Hall that shows any potential to play NHL games would be Bigos, and Marincin. Both are at least a season away, if they ever get there.

I think more of our depth prospects will start to be ready as of next year, but as of now we are still paying the price for the years Prendergast ran our amateur scouting.

Our development system might be back on track, but our farm team is still at least one season away from being ready to support our pro roster.

The last few years have reaped us some NHL ready players, but the years before were so barren, that we have no players ready to fill lower roster spots. Had Prendergasts team done a less abysmal job we would have some older guys in the development system who could fill holes, guys drafted between Gagner and Hall who would now be ready to step into the line up, at least at a call up level. Instead we are waiting for the guys who need another year or two of seasoning.

Sutter may have dealt away too many of your team's high picks, but your scouts did an admirable job of finding serviceable players with the pick they had left. Our prior scouting staff dropped the ball entirely. (Hemsky, Dubnyk, and Gagner are really the only bright spots from their entire tenure.--oh and Brodziak so of coarse they let him go for a song )

trusting Prendergast was Lowe's single biggest crime.

Disagree on possible NHL calibur prospects. There are a few that are putting up good numbers but are still too green to project as NHLers.

Disagree on possible NHL calibur prospects. There are a few that are putting up good numbers but are still too green to project as NHLers.

Maybe I should have phrased it reasonably close.)

keep in mind I think we have potential NHL'ers who are young. I don't see too many who were drafted prior to Hall still having much chance, outside of the handful that have already made an NHL appearance.

Size... and an abilty with win some board battles.

Too many times the Oilers would look great gaining the zone and getting a chance and shot... puck would get into the corner wings win it and clear.

They have a problem (well mainly noticed Eberle) not stopping on the the puck to battle.. they'll be skating, miss a puck as a puck gets disrupted, but instead of working to stop and turn towards the puck for the ensuing battle, they go for a skate hoping/expecting teammates to rotate down for the puck battle...

like a .. 'awe man, i'm skating too fast to hit the brakes'... Life looked easy for the Det D.

Coaches HATE that.. and it's a problem with their best players.

Of course you guys are going look like you have no energy players when they play to conserve it... and not work.

Its the same ol' culture.... they need a couple of Gary Roberts type of players to exemplify and instill a work ethic.

But that's just primarily based on what i saw today. maybe it was an off day.

because i'll be honest that i didn't notice it in previous gms i've seen of them... but i wasn't really forcused on watching the Oiler team as analytically before like i was today... focuse on the Canucks... and then Benn and Jagr in the Dallas game.. and the Cal-Edm game was just a background gm.

You tell me.. is it the norm?

Size... and an abilty with win some board battles.

Too many times the Oilers would look great gaining the zone and getting a chance and shot... puck would get into the corner wings win it and clear.

They have a problem (well mainly noticed Eberle) not stopping on the the puck to battle.. they'll be skating, miss a puck as a puck gets disrupted, but instead of working to stop and turn towards the puck for the ensuing battle, they go for a skate hoping/expecting teammates to rotate down for the puck battle...

like a .. 'awe man, i'm skating too fast to hit the brakes'... Life looked easy for the Det D.

Coaches HATE that.. and it's a problem with their best players.

Of course you guys are going look like you have no energy players when they play to conserve it... and not work.

Its the same ol' culture.... they need a couple of Gary Roberts type of players to exemplify and instill a work ethic.

But that's just primarily based on what i saw today. maybe it was an off day.

because i'll be honest that i didn't notice it in previous gms i've seen of them... but i wasn't really forcused on watching the Oiler team as analytically before like i was today... focuse on the Canucks... and then Benn and Jagr in the Dallas game.. and the Cal-Edm game was just a background gm.

You tell me.. is it the norm?

I'd hate to be held in such regal esteem as the future GM, but I'd cite incredibly liberal pass attempts, zero patience on O and waiting for the opportunity, just forcing it when it isn't there, when a safe and waiting play was.

Like it's Hall's team, no questions asked.

Archived