Louis23

Fantastic loss to Vancouver today, it was an exciting look to the future.

A future filled with talented, creative, high-speed losses like we haven't seen out of Edmonton since their last burst of youth, with famed coulda-beens such as Jason Arnott.

Everything was Almost good enough. Fans were left wondering, right until the final minutes, if maybe this time would be different.

As it stands after that game they are in the playoff hunt in 6'th place, only two points out of third in the conference and 2 points behind those same canucks. They aren't lighting it up but they are fighting tooth and nail for every last point, and that's something we haven't seen from that team in a very long time. From my point of view there is finally at least some reward for my perseverance. In my opinion this time it IS different.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ovi simply overpowered goalies with his shot. I have yet to see anything remotely like that form Yakupov

In jr, it was a regular occurrence. He scores a lot of different ways. That's one of them. Dedicated dangerous, he'll grow into that. Time to swap Gagner and RNH. Stop protecting his minutes. Cut RNH and him loose, that's some fast. But pair your d guys accordingly. imo.

I was nixing the comparable is all, not saying Ovi is the lesser player. Just that they are completely different. Yakupov doesn't play like Ovechkin, and I doubt he ever will.

But I would take Yakupov over Ovechkin for PURE SNIPE abilitiy, Ovechkin runs away in other categories.

In a couple short yrs, the way the game is now, I'll be surprised if Yakupov isn't pointing/goals over Ovechkin. Like he's starting to do now at 19 with upside.

I wouldn't call Yak a sniper, at least until he shows it. His NHL goals have been nothing but standing in front of the net banging in rebounds.

I wouldn't call Yak a sniper, at least until he shows it. His NHL goals have been nothing but standing in front of the net banging in rebounds.

Yup. Knee high and waist high ones, no stick there. He's just starting his NHL, don't forget.

Those are just as easy whiffs from many players. He tended to pound them into twine.

Oilers:

Out shot in 7 of 9 games

2 goals or fewer in 6 of 9

24th in shots for

30th in shots against

28th in 5v5 Goals for/Against

Just a matter of time before they drop to where they should be in the standimgs.. i.e. not in the top 8.

Those are numbers not reflective of playoff teams. Can I win the bet NOW connor?

Add injuries to Belanger, Horcoff, Fistric.. there's goes a bit of center depth IF they are long lasting. and Fistric down... but you got Whitney to jump abck in..

Oilers:

Out shot in 7 of 9 games

2 goals or fewer in 6 of 9

24th in shots for

30th in shots against

28th in 5v5 Goals for/Against

Just a matter of time before they drop to where they should be in the standimgs.. i.e. not in the top 8.

Those are numbers not reflective of playoff teams. Can I win the bet NOW connor?

Add injuries to Belanger, Horcoff, Fistric.. there's goes a bit of center depth IF they are long lasting. and Fistric down... but you got Whitney to jump abck in..

Your team has to win the President's trophy and my team has to miss the playoffs for you to win the bet.

Fantastic loss to Vancouver today, it was an exciting look to the future.

A future filled with talented, creative, high-speed losses like we haven't seen out of Edmonton since their last burst of youth, with famed coulda-beens such as Jason Arnott.

Everything was Almost good enough. Fans were left wondering, right until the final minutes, if maybe this time would be different.

Yeah but it must really suck to have a boring a$$ team and still be losing

Yeah but it must really suck to have a boring a$$ team and still be losing

There has beena boring a$$ team in Alberta this year, but it hasn't been the Flames.

Watching the Flames win the 1st BOA wasn't exactly boring a$$ to watch. I found it quite exciting (and amuzing). :lol:

There has beena boring a$$ team in Alberta this year, but it hasn't been the Flames.

I keep forgetting they're not in Seattle yet, thanks for reminding me C_worthy

We can't be too hard, though. The season is young, we can't just make assumptions.

For instance, Wednesday's loss against Dallas could turn out to be quite exciting.

Just because we expect we expect it to be a boring, typical loss doesn't mean the Oilers won't surprise us with some sort of twist we didn't see coming, enroute to their losing the game

Go take a poll on another team's bored asking which team would you rather watch.

Watching the Flames win the 1st BOA wasn't exactly boring a$$ to watch. I found it quite exciting (and amuzing). :lol:

I'm sure you had a great time watching that. Probably the most exciting Flames games will get in years.

I keep forgetting they're not in Seattle yet, thanks for reminding me C_worthy

We can't be too hard, though. The season is young, we can't just make assumptions.

For instance, Wednesday's loss against Dallas could turn out to be quite exciting.

Just because we expect we expect it to be a boring, typical loss doesn't mean the Oilers won't surprise us with some sort of twist we didn't see coming, enroute to their losing the game

We'll see.

Go take a poll on another team's bored asking which team would you rather watch.

I'm sure you had a great time watching that. Probably the most exciting Flames games will get in years.

We'll see.

You obviously love to post on Flames boards, but clearly you aren't watching any Flames games. They are playing really exciting hockey - it wasn't just the spanking of the Oilers. And I have been watching the Oil - other than a couple exciting finishes, I am seeing a whole lot of boring hockey. All my Oiler fan friends agree.

But knock yourself out and troll away.

Soon your posts will turn to "well, I never expected much this season anyway... one more good draft pick and we'll be awesome!"

We'll see.

That is a good point Conner. However that wouldn't answer the actual question.

Try to go to any other board and ask them who they would rather watch your team or their team, yours will lose out, all of the time. Trying to get a non-biased opinion from fans is nearly impossible.

So all you would get an answer to, is which team has more media hype and the original question as to which hockey team is playing more exciting hockey wouldn't get answered. Huge difference between exciting hockey to watch and a team to talk about. I'll take "watch" over "talk about" anyday.

If all you judge a hockey team by is PP, then I give the edge to the Oilers but not by much, your Oilers are 3rd over all and the Flames are 5th.

Depending on how long Kipper is injured, we may find out how important he was to what little success we did have so far. Can't get much worse results for us now can it? We may find out our backup and our AHL goaltender are superior to your "Lead us into the dynasty goaltender DD". WE shall see how the the Flames respond to adversity and injuries to key players. That is called depth and I can guarantee you won't find the Flames using the injuries as an excuse.

I see those injuries are creeping into your lineup "again" and the D is back to the same old same old as last year. Let me ask you Conner... For two years/seasons you have been saying your D is injured just wait until they are healthy. You have kept on parading Whitney out with a wait until he is healthy.... How is that working out for you now he is healthy??

Your team is hanging on by 1 point to a playoff berth. Your team is no longer on the + side of goal diff.

Yes we will see soon enough.

The numbers beyond the Oilers' 10 pts.

22nd - G/gm... 1st period scoring: 16th, 2nd: 25th, 3rd: 20th

12th - GA/gm... 1st period scoring against: 20th, 2nd: 20th, 3rd: 2nd

24th - SoG

30th - SoGA

5th - Save %

28th - 5on5 ratio and also +/- : -9

3rd - PP % - 12 g

6th - PK % - 5 ga

Special teams: +7

29th - FO %

27th - Hits

6th - Blocked shots

26th - Giveaways

17th - Takeaways

Will be interested in how the defensive system works for Edm without Horcoff and Belanger. Its safe to say they will suffer even more in the faceoff department without em.

Defensive zone faceoff wins - retaining possession - pressure off of the D and the goalie.

Already 30th in SOGA, they will be further challenged.

I'm think the Oilers, just like the Flames, are beginning runs...

Opposite directions tho.

(actually the Oilers have already lost 3 in a row... didn't realize)

They may be able to pull off a win vs the Stars here at home today tho if Krueger can protect his bottom 6 with last change... but don't have confidence in em on the road..

The numbers beyond the Oilers' 10 pts.

22nd - G/gm... 1st period scoring: 16th, 2nd: 25th, 3rd: 20th

12th - GA/gm... 1st period scoring against: 20th, 2nd: 20th, 3rd: 2nd

24th - SoG

30th - SoGA

5th - Save %

28th - 5on5 ratio and also +/- : -9

3rd - PP % - 12 g

6th - PK % - 5 ga

Special teams: +7

29th - FO %

27th - Hits

6th - Blocked shots

26th - Giveaways

17th - Takeaways

Will be interested in how the defensive system works for Edm without Horcoff and Belanger. Its safe to say they will suffer even more in the faceoff department without em.

Defensive zone faceoff wins - retaining possession - pressure off of the D and the goalie.

Already 30th in SOGA, they will be further challenged.

I'm think the Oilers, just like the Flames, are beginning runs...

Opposite directions tho.

(actually the Oilers have already lost 3 in a row... didn't realize)

They may be able to pull off a win vs the Stars here at home today tho if Krueger can protect his bottom 6 with last change... but don't have confidence in em on the road..

c4512bdebdeca03324fbdc6294f5c27a.png?1360185490

Seems "Nuge is a tad sore".

I'm no Oilers fan... but that is just mean on Gene Principe's part making the Nuge sound like a pussycat like that.

No Nuge, Horcoff or Belanger down the middle. Gagne the number 2 is still around. What will the the other 3 lines look like? anyone?

Edit:

Hall - Arcobello - Eberle

Yakupov - Gagner - Hemsky

Hartikainen - Lander - Paajarvi

Hordichuk - Smyth - Petrell

I have honestly not heard the name Arcobello before... scouting report?

24 yrs old. Undrafted american forward.

5'9, 165.. i assume he's a speedster.

Nice progression from last yr to this in the A.

Someone to watch outta curiosity. He's set up for success playing where he's playing.

I keep forgetting they're not in Seattle yet...

35 year location deal with ink on it. Once again you try for a dig, and miss the mark. You are truly the worst poster on this board.

you have nothing at all to add to any conversation, but you never stop. You think if you insult the Oilers that is all the content you need, but you never get anything right.

I'm no Oilers fan... but that is just mean on Gene Principe's part making the Nuge sound like a pussycat like that.

No Nuge, Horcoff or Belanger down the middle. Gagne the number 2 is still around. What will the the other 3 lines look like? anyone?

Edit:

Hall - Arcobello - Eberle

Yakupov - Gagner - Hemsky

Hartikainen - Lander - Paajarvi

Hordichuk - Smyth - Petrell

I have honestly not heard the name Arcobello before... scouting report?

24 yrs old. Undrafted american forward.

5'9, 165.. i assume he's a speedster.

Nice progression from last yr to this in the A.

Someone to watch outta curiosity. He's set up for success playing where he's playing.

he's small, but he kept up with Hall and Ebs in OKC. He was top 5 in the league points when he was on their line.

How or if that can translate to the NHL, I have no idea. My suspicion is that he is too small, and will lose every puck battle. I would much rather have brought up Vandevelde.

35 year location deal with ink on it. Once again you try for a dig, and miss the mark. You are truly the worst poster on this board.

you have nothing at all to add to any conversation, but you never stop. You think if you insult the Oilers that is all the content you need, but you never get anything right.

It might have ink on it, but it still has a $107M hole in it.

(note: I am not in any way suggesting a move to Seattle is a possibility)

he's small, but he kept up with Hall and Ebs in OKC. He was top 5 in the league points when he was on their line.

How or if that can translate to the NHL, I have no idea. My suspicion is that he is too small, and will lose every puck battle. I would much rather have brought up Vandevelde.

The opposition plays in these decisions... if they were playing a bigger more physical D i could see them move away from giving Arcobello his shot and bring up some size... but its Dallas... big bodies on the wings.. but also smallish at center... and not an overly physical D. It's a best case scenario when you think about it that way. Maybe they matchup and have Arcobello line up vs fellow 5'9er C Derek Roy.

I'm sure they'll keep him away from Benn.

This is a much more efficient path to Seth.

Tambo is the best GM in hockey history.

Archived