Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please tell me you drew this on a tablet in a matter of minutes to get the effect of your point across. If so, that is some talent! :D

Sadly, I cannot take credit for creating this. This was created by this guy right here

My artistic ability consists only of Photoshopping, whereas my original artwork skills make my stick men have Cerebral Palsy.

I can, however, take that original image and put a nice shiny button on Mr. Truck's jersey:

Nail_zpse3a22c82.gif

It was a celebration. The kid is brand new in the league and had gone several games without a goal while many of the others of the rookie class were scoring machines. He was feeling pressure from many angles to live up to his hype and when he finally got his first ever professional goal I can see why he was so excited, especially considering the situation of how his goal came to be. There are many who felt that the Oilers were 'ripped off' in that game when they had a tying goal called back with 1 minute remaining in the third period, including many from this very board. And when the team buckled down and tied it with 5 seconds left to put it into overtime against the stanley cup champions, then to see him score the winner in OT against that team all of those factors combined into a very exciting first goal for this kid. He isn't the only player to have gone over the top celebrating a goal. Some of the antics of Ovechkin over the years IMO are way over the top, especially the "stick is too hot to touch" celebration (hate that one). Did any one of you consider the Theo Fleury celebration over the top? I for one didn't, I loved the game Fleury brought to the ice. Because really while the circumstances of the two goals were very different, an argument can be made that Yakupov's goal meant every bit as much to Nail as Fleury's goal did to Theo. It was at that point the most important goal of his career.

It was a celebration. The kid is brand new in the league and had gone several games without a goal while many of the others of the rookie class were scoring machines. He was feeling pressure from many angles to live up to his hype and when he finally got his first ever professional goal I can see why he was so excited, especially considering the situation of how his goal came to be. There are many who felt that the Oilers were 'ripped off' in that game when they had a tying goal called back with 1 minute remaining in the third period, including many from this very board. And when the team buckled down and tied it with 5 seconds left to put it into overtime against the stanley cup champions, then to see him score the winner in OT against that team all of those factors combined into a very exciting first goal for this kid. He isn't the only player to have gone over the top celebrating a goal. Some of the antics of Ovechkin over the years IMO are way over the top, especially the "stick is too hot to touch" celebration (hate that one). Did any one of you consider the Theo Fleury celebration over the top? Because really while the circumstances of the two goals were very different, an argument can be made that Yakupov's goal meant every bit as much to Nail as Fleury's goal did to Theo. It was at that point the most important goal of his career.

We aren't talking about the slip 'n' slide wannabe Theo celebration, that is over an done with. This was a discussion that his antics are continuing with each "super clutch" goal. I can understand one time, but not every time. You hated Ovechkin's celebrations? Well this is exactly what people see. It is different when Yak plays for your team. You see your team getting a win, we see a show boater acting the fool. He is consistent in his on ice arrogance. Not sharing the win with team mates (skating around the whole team to slide in a spotlight, not standing up for a fellow team mate when his face is running into the opposite team's fist after another goal, and flashing his fingers as if to say "come at me bro" like he's king sh*t) and blatant disrespect.

You are right, the kid is brand new in the league, this just proves my point. We can agree to disagree, but this is what I have witnessed. I'm sure I'm not alone.

We aren't talking about the slip 'n' slide wannabe Theo celebration, that is over an done with. This was a discussion that his antics are continuing with each "super clutch" goal. I can understand one time, but not every time. You hated Ovechkin's celebrations? Well this is exactly what people see. It is different when Yak plays for your team. You see your team getting a win, we see a show boater acting the fool. He is consistent in his on ice arrogance. Not sharing the win with team mates (skating around the whole team to slide in a spotlight, not standing up for a fellow team mate when his face is running into the opposite team's fist after another goal, and flashing his fingers as if to say "come at me bro" like he's king sh*t) and blatant disrespect.

You are right, the kid is brand new in the league, this just proves my point. We can agree to disagree, but this is what I have witnessed. I'm sure I'm not alone.

I must apologize, I was away for a week on vacation, I had just assumed that the discussion was still on his first goal celebration. I hadn't exercised due diligence to read the thread from where I had left on my vacation. As I didn't see any of the other goals I cannot really comment on them.

I did not say I hated Ovechkins celebrations. I said I hated the "stick too hot to touch" one, and I said many of his other celebrations could also be considered to be over the top.

I cannot fault you for disliking Yakupov, but I do have a feeling that if he were a Flame you likely would not be quite so harsh on him. I guess he's one of those players that when he is on your rivals team you hate him but if he is on your team you like him. Of course him being a player on my favorite team I see no problem with his celebrations.. yet. If at the end of the year he has 20 goals and makes a habit of celebrating like he can walk on water then of course I will be disappointed in his antics, but since I have only at this moment seen his first one I am giving him a light year of slack.

I must apologize, I was away for a week on vacation, I had just assumed that the discussion was still on his first goal celebration. I hadn't exercised due diligence to read the thread from where I had left on my vacation. As I didn't see any of the other goals I cannot really comment on them.

I did not say I hated Ovechkins celebrations. I said I hated the "stick too hot to touch" one, and I said many of his other celebrations could also be considered to be over the top.

I cannot fault you for disliking Yakupov, but I do have a feeling that if he were a Flame you likely would not be quite so harsh on him. I guess he's one of those players that when he is on your rivals team you hate him but if he is on your team you like him. Of course him being a player on my favorite team I see no problem with his celebrations.. yet. If at the end of the year he has 20 goals and makes a habit of celebrating like he can walk on water then of course I will be disappointed in his antics, but since I have only at this moment seen his first one I am giving him a light year of slack.

Well if you look at it this way...all NHL'ers are walking on water, in a sense. :lol:

I hated that celly by Ovechkin as well. No Class in my eyes.

It was a celebration. The kid is brand new in the league and had gone several games without a goal while many of the others of the rookie class were scoring machines. He was feeling pressure from many angles to live up to his hype and when he finally got his first ever professional goal I can see why he was so excited, especially considering the situation of how his goal came to be. There are many who felt that the Oilers were 'ripped off' in that game when they had a tying goal called back with 1 minute remaining in the third period, including many from this very board. And when the team buckled down and tied it with 5 seconds left to put it into overtime against the stanley cup champions, then to see him score the winner in OT against that team all of those factors combined into a very exciting first goal for this kid. He isn't the only player to have gone over the top celebrating a goal. Some of the antics of Ovechkin over the years IMO are way over the top, especially the "stick is too hot to touch" celebration (hate that one). Did any one of you consider the Theo Fleury celebration over the top? I for one didn't, I loved the game Fleury brought to the ice. Because really while the circumstances of the two goals were very different, an argument can be made that Yakupov's goal meant every bit as much to Nail as Fleury's goal did to Theo. It was at that point the most important goal of his career.

I am on the fence about the celebration in the Kings game and that is neither here nor there. This argument about it being justified by the situation of it being his first goal in a big situation is wrong though. He had got his first goal in the game against San Jose two nights before. It was not the pressure of scoring his first goal that led to the celebration at all. If you take into account everything he has done so far when it comes to celebrating, I can understand why some people have a problem with him already. I for one will give him the benefit of the doubt in that I think he will tone it down as time goes on and he matures. If he continues to act the way he has however, don't be surprised if it gets him into some tough situations on the ice.

Nail really rubs me the wrong way. I am glad for the Oilers win tonight, but there are good winners and poor winners. This kid is a very poor winner. His on-ice antics aren't quality, and it reflects his attitude towards the rest of the league and NHL'ers alike. Show some well done steaking respect.

Wow. CalgaryPuck are the only ones kind of being this ridiculous about it.

I watched the game start to finish and it was exhilarating.

He was happy with the fans. People seem to overlook that. 'Oh no, you're disrespecting your peers by respecting the crowd' and jacked with their mood...we don't need that, don't get the fans jacked...

I commend him for absolutely electrifying the air with that. Wish he scored on the wrister in OT, Quick made a great save.

The roof woulda come down.

Good for hockey.

Look at it this way, what is hockey news outside of highlights?

Top story, NHL concussion, NHL fight gone wrong, negative negative negative.

Why are we some kind of rigidly archaic NHL "code of conduct" experts?

Something enlightening crowded the airwaves, wouldn't want that, let's get back to this knee-on-knee story...

I really disliked Ovi's "stick on fire" celebration... I also think he is a classless individual for a number of reasons..,

Yak's celebration was over the top, and I don't think Oil fans can blame others for poking fun at it...

On the bright side, Yak also has yet to resort to doing something like this... :)

I really disliked Ovi's "stick on fire" celebration... I also think he is a classless individual for a number of reasons..,

Yak's celebration was over the top, and I don't think Oil fans can blame others for poking fun at it...

On the bright side, Yak also has yet to resort to doing something like this... :)

& I haven't seen him do a cheezy chocolate bar commercial. Yet.

On the bright side, Yak also has yet to resort to doing something like this...

I'd be shocked.

Yakupov hams it FOR the fans, I think it's a huge difference.

On pure goal-scoring ability alone, I'd take Yakupov over Ovechkin any day.

The 2 aren't even really comparable.

Always my problem with comparisons, they're way different. Yakupov is pretty much a pure sniper. Ovechkin's a bulldog, 2 completely different players.

Neither are good on D, at which point, I'd want the pure sniper myself. Around the net for a loose puck or standing back and ripping on net, Yakupov is more skilled than Ovi at that, already.

Ryan Whitney a healthy scratch tonight.

First time in his career.

Not playing like the valuable veteran presence he's supposed to be obviously. But still surprising to hear for the guy.

Fistric to take his place.

More like he is not playing with any value whatsoever. Terrible giveaways, slow skates, poor puckhandling and awful defensively. I have been a defender of Whitney, claiming he just needed to get healthy again, just needed time to get back into the groove etc, but he has been nothing short of all out embarassing this year. I'm just hoping that he can get his game back sometime this year because I am fearful that if not then his career might be over.

I'd be shocked.

Always my problem with comparisons, they're way different. Yakupov is pretty much a pure sniper. Ovechkin's a bulldog, 2 completely different players.

Neither are good on D, at which point, I'd want the pure sniper myself. Around the net for a loose puck or standing back and ripping on net, Yakupov is more skilled than Ovi at that, already.

Yakupov has 6 points in 8 games. PPG ratio of .75.

In his rookie year OV was 52-54=106 in 81 for a PPG ratio of 1.31. Lifetime NHL of 1.22 PPG.

8 games is a small sample to call a rookie better then a former Richard Trophy winner (among other awards).

More like he is not playing with any value whatsoever. Terrible giveaways, slow skates, poor puckhandling and awful defensively. I have been a defender of Whitney, claiming he just needed to get healthy again, just needed time to get back into the groove etc, but he has been nothing short of all out embarassing this year. I'm just hoping that he can get his game back sometime this year because I am fearful that if not then his career might be over.

I notice the Edmonton Journal writers are really ripping into him.

I'd be shocked.

i know you're a fan and you saw him a lot in Sarnia, but holy cow. Ovechkin, in his firrst few years (not lately) was a dominant player. Yakupov is not anywhere close to that at this point.

And to say Ovi isn't/wasn't a sniper??? Most feared shot in the NHL for a period of time

Yakupov has 6 points in 8 games. PPG ratio of .75.

In his rookie year OV was 52-54=106 in 81 for a PPG ratio of 1.31. Lifetime NHL of 1.22 PPG.

8 games is a small sample to call a rookie better then a former Richard Trophy winner (among other awards).

I was nixing the comparable is all, not saying Ovi is the lesser player. Just that they are completely different. Yakupov doesn't play like Ovechkin, and I doubt he ever will.

But I would take Yakupov over Ovechkin for PURE SNIPE abilitiy, Ovechkin runs away in other categories.

In a couple short yrs, the way the game is now, I'll be surprised if Yakupov isn't pointing/goals over Ovechkin. Like he's starting to do now at 19 with upside.

Fantastic loss to Vancouver today, it was an exciting look to the future.

A future filled with talented, creative, high-speed losses like we haven't seen out of Edmonton since their last burst of youth, with famed coulda-beens such as Jason Arnott.

Everything was Almost good enough. Fans were left wondering, right until the final minutes, if maybe this time would be different.

Archived