Louis23

If he signed with Calgary, I would be saying "good prospect, how can we develop him into an NHL quality defense player". I would also have concern for his perceived diva status, and hope that the team has him do a media blitz to put it to rest.

I would also expect him to earn his spot on the team during camp. No free pass.

This diva status stuff is completely uncalled for.

He had the opportunity to become a free agent and he took it. You don't see many players trying to stay RFAs when they could be UFAs.

This whole courting setup was orchestrated by his agents. He had to choose which team he wanted to go to and he did.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The interesting thing about this trade is that from a managerial perspective it parallels with what happened with Cervenka, a move that; at first, I was critical of. Unproven KHL talent that nobody really knows whether or not he can step up his game to the faster more physical NHL. I think most Oilers fans would agree that it was actually a pretty intelligent gamble on behalf of Jay Feaster, the man is worth the money if he's able to hit those performance bonuses which equals a solid top 6 player. I look at the Schultz signing as something similar.

In regards to the diva talk, I really do have to say you guys should be a bit more critical of what comes out of the media's mouth and twitter accounts. These guys make their money off the captivation of the fans and sometimes they will spew out things from sources that likely don't even exist. In the end, Tambi talked of how he's not getting guaranteed playing time and that the guy is a quiet, soft spoken but confident player. In Schultz's interview he said he wants to EARN his spot, thus changing my opinion on him. As for Anaheim? We don't know what happened there.

Just don't listen to old women gossiping in knitting circles, because that's what these experts and analysts are. It regards media opinions on your team as well.

Justin Schultz said it himself" I want to earn a spot on the team,earn my icetime,Its just who I am."This guy is a perfect fit for the Oilers.These young guys are having a hoot,growing together as a team.Something Sven B. needs,at least one guy close to his age.Hell be like the only kid in the family.Hockey is supposed to be fun.I wonder if that even crosses Kings{Feasters} mind.

Justin Schultz said it himself" I want to earn a spot on the team,earn my icetime,Its just who I am."This guy is a perfect fit for the Oilers.These young guys are having a hoot,growing together as a team.Something Sven B. needs,at least one guy close to his age.Hell be like the only kid in the family.Hockey is supposed to be fun.I wonder if that even crosses Kings{Feasters} mind.

Sven will be 20 in Oct. but he is not alone or the only young guy on the team. Did you not see the youth invasion on the Flames last year?

Backlund 23

Bouma 22

Brodie 22

and that is only those who are listed on team roster page

add maybe:

Byron 23

Horak 21

Nemisz 22

Aliu 23

and suddenly you have enough for a fair sized party let alone wondering if he has anyone for company.

I missed Yakupov in Sherwood Park by a day and it sounds like I missed the show. Most of what I read on the final Oilers prospect scrimmage is what I've been saying.

This kid has an arsenal of weapons, he's a "different" kind of player. He's been called "the special player" for 2 years in Sarnia. As vague as that is, it's correct.

You don't see a combination of a stunningly accurate blazing one-timer from anywhere in the O-zone, extremely quick jump of a skater and incredible passing vision very often in 1 player.

I've seen him enough to not kid myself, this kid is "the special player". Not a #1 bust.

Not even maybe. I don't think he'll match Stamkos for goals, but I think he'll be more intimidating to teams than Stamkos due to variety of ways to beat you. Hall-RNH-Yakupov, you can't double-team all of them...and they all have varying skillsets to pretty much cover the spectrum.

Schultz might be a sign that the currents are shifting for the Oil.

I hate the Oilers, I hate the Canadiens, thanks alot hockeygod.

flames/stingfan

I think the oilers could have been the making of a dynasty but the way I see it two of there first overalls are wasted. I think both rnh and hall will be ppg players but in the same way hemsky is, 50 games 50 point seasons due to injuries. Which will likely also lead to them being hurt during the playoffs. Its safe to say eberle is a franchise player but the other two weren't big enough to play against men.

I think the oilers could have been the making of a dynasty but the way I see it two of there first overalls are wasted. I think both rnh and hall will be ppg players but in the same way hemsky is, 50 games 50 point seasons due to injuries. Which will likely also lead to them being hurt during the playoffs. Its safe to say eberle is a franchise player but the other two weren't big enough to play against men.

What are you talking about? Hall has played two season and RNH has played one season...WAY to early to judge their future. Here are some stats for you...

Yakupov (5'11, 189lbs, 69PTS) RNH (6'1, 180lbs, 52PTS) Hall (6'1, 194lbs, 53 PTS)

Eberle (5'11, 184lbs, 76PTS) Gagner (5'11, 195lbs, 47PTS) Hemmer (6'0, 185lbs, 36PTS)

VS

Tang (5'9, 190lbs, 49PTS) Cammo (5'9, 190lbs, 19PTS) Iggy (6'1, 210lbs, 67PTS)

Hudler (5'10, 186lbs, 50PTS) Cervanka (5'11, 201lbs, 39PTS) Glencross (6'1, 197lbs, 48PTS)

Oilers points among top 6 = 333.Flames points = 272.

Facts don't lie our top 6 have an average height of 5'9 vs the flames average of 5'8 (practically the same). Our top 6 have an average weight of 187lbs vs the flames average of 196lbs (once again, very similar).

"We" are not "too small" to play in the NHL. This year will show a lot with an improvment on the back end and a consistent tender in net.

What are you talking about? Hall has played two season and RNH has played one season...WAY to early to judge their future. Here are some stats for you...

Yakupov (5'11, 189lbs, 69PTS) RNH (6'1, 180lbs, 52PTS) Hall (6'1, 194lbs, 53 PTS)

Eberle (5'11, 184lbs, 76PTS) Gagner (5'11, 195lbs, 47PTS) Hemmer (6'0, 185lbs, 36PTS)

VS

Hudler (5'10, 186lbs, 50PTS) Cervanka (5'11, 201lbs, 39PTS) Glencross (6'1, 197lbs, 48PTS)

Facts don't lie our top 6 have an average height of 5'9 vs the flames average of 5'8 (practically the same). Our top 6 have an average weight of 187lbs vs the flames average of 196lbs (once again, very similar).

"We" are not "too small" to play in the NHL. This year will show a lot with an improvment on the back end and a consistent tender in net.

I don't usually argue when people post stats, but I absolutely must make an exception this time.....

Yakupov (5'11, 189lbs, 69PTS)

Yakupov (5'11, 189lbs, 0PTS)

Fixed it for you. Yako may be a fantastic player in the NHL, but I will absolutely argue to the death that he's got 69 points against consistent NHL-caliber players/teams. Prove me wrong on this one, or please just PFO&D.

I don't usually argue when people post stats, but I absolutely must make an exception this time.....

Yakupov (5'11, 189lbs, 69PTS)

Yakupov (5'11, 189lbs, 0PTS)

Fixed it for you. Yako may be a fantastic player in the NHL, but I will absolutely argue to the death that he's got 69 points against consistent NHL-caliber players/teams. Prove me wrong on this one, or please just PFO&D.

No that's fine I can agree with you there 100%. Just trying to prove my point that yes they are young but their not 15 year old 130lbs kids playing with men. They can play with the best of teams at times and have struggled to remain consistent in the league since 2006. We can promise they'll get better all we want but with krueger coaching I believe the team will take a full 180degree turn out of the basement and into contention.

VS

what I'm getting at is those two particular players weren't ready for what they got and now its likely they will both take substantial injury time year after year. I dunno if thats hemsky deal or not but regardless hes a good player who consistently misses half the year due to injuries. Hall plays with his head down and rnh was a stick when he started.

I may be wrong, only time will tell but I think its likely one is doomed to be the next hemsky if not both.

• 2 weeks later...

I will continue what was discussed in the Weber thread, how the Oilers will be able to keep their stars. Before starting keep in mind a ot of variables have to be estimated at this point.

First thing to consider is the new CBA. Players are likely going to have to take a pay cut. If the current salary cap is 70.3 mil and the players take a 57 percent cut, the new salary cap will likely be around 61.6 mil with a 50 percent split. That would be approximately a 12% cut in current player salaries to maintain.

Oilers' Lines Next Season

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov

Hemsky-RNH-Eberle

Smyth-Horcoff-Jones

Eager-Belanger-Petrell

EXTRA:Hordichuk

Smid-Petry

Whitney-J.Schultz

Sutton-N.Schultz

EXTRA:Peckham-Potter

Dubnyk

Khabibulin

The Oilers here have an approximately 62 mil under the current cap and 54.66 if there is a 12% rollback. I'm going to use the current cap because it should still be the same ratio as new cap for the players and teams going forward.

RFAs after next season

Hall - .65 ppg 1st season, .87 ppg 2nd season. Lets say Hall gets 82 points in 82 games next season.

Comparables: Tavares 5.5, Kane 6.3, Marleau 6.3 - 6.9, Sedins 6.1. Average 6.22 per, I'll round up to 6.5.

Eberle - .62 ppg 1st season, .97 ppg 2nd season. Lets say he gets 90 points in 82 games next season.

Comparables: Backstrom 6.7, St.Louis 5.25, Richards 6.66, Parise 7.5. Average 6.5275. I think Eberle and Hall will sign identical contracts around 6.5 mil per.

Gagner - Lets say he gets between 60 and 70 points next season centring Hall and Yakupov.

He will have a career year and then likely get traded at high value.

Paajarvi - I imagine he will start and spend most of his time in the minors next season.

He will have to sign a cheap deal since he didn't do much at the NHL level at this point. Something between 1-2 mil per for 1-2 seasons. I'll round to 1.5 mil for two seasons.

Hartikainen - Same as Paajarvi. Same as Paajarvi. 1.5 mil for two seasons.

Peckham - Probably Oilers trade in the near future.

UFAs after next season

Jones, Hordichuk, Petrell, Whitney, Smid, Sutton, Khabibulin. Out of those, Smid is the most likely to be re-signed to a longer term deal. Whitney will likely be re-signed as well but amount and length will depend on how he recovers from his injury. Khabibulin is definitely gone. Jones, Hordichuk, Petrell and Sutton can go either way.

Whitney - Because it's hard to guess how he'll do next season, I'll say he stays at the same salary for two more seasons.

Smid - If he has another good season similar to the last one, he will sign for Josh Georges money, 3.9 mil per for 4-6 years.

2013-14 Oilers

Hemsky-Hall-Yakupov

5-6.5-3.8

Hartikainen-RNH-Eberle

1.5-3.775-6.5

Smyth-Horcoff-Paajarvi

2.25-5.5-1.5

Eager-Belanger-?

1.1-1.75-?

EXTRA:?

Smid-Petry

3.9-1.75

Whitney-J.Schultz

4-3.775

Klefbom-N.Schultz

1.275-3.5

EXTRA:?-Potter

?-.775

Dubnyk - 3.5

? - ?

= 61.625 which under the 70.3 mil cap leaves a lot to fill the question marks.

RFAs after season

RNH - Lets say he goes supernova becoming one of the league's superstars. 7.5 mil per

Schultz - I'll say that he lights it up as on offensive defenceman but still needs to work on defending. 5 mil per.

Petry - Turns into a solid two way defenceman. 4 mil per.

Lander - Doesn't have the offence that Paajarvi and Hartikainen do, 1.25 mil per for two seasons.

UFAs after season

Hemsky, Belanger, Eager, Smyth, N.Schultz, Dubnyk. I'll say Dubnyk proves himself as a starter but not an elite goalie, makes 5 mil per. The rest could be had back if they would take discounts.

2014-15

?-Hall-Yakupov

?-6.5-3.8

Hartikainen-RNH-Eberle

1.5-7.5-6.5

?-Horcoff-Paajarvi

?-5.5-1.5

?-Lander-?

?-1.25-?

Smid-Petry

3.9-4

Whitney-Schultz

4-5

Klefbom-?

1.275-?

EXTRA:

Dubnyk - 5

? - ?

= 57.225 mil. Still 12 million to fill missing holes.

Coming RFAs

Yakupov - He goes supernova like RNH, 7.5 mil per.

Paajarvi - Proves to be an effective two way forward, 3 mil per.

Hartikainen - He's the muscle on the line but everyone knows he'd be the easiest to replace, 3.5 mil per.

2015-16

Hartikainen-RNH-Yakupov

3.5-7.5-7.5

Paajarvi-Hall-Eberle

3-6.5-6.5

?-Lander-?

?-1.25-?

Klefbom-Schultz

1.25-5

Smid-Petry

3.9-4

?-?

Dubnyk - 5

= 54.9 mil leaving 15 mil to fill holes.

2016-17

Hartikainen-RNH-Yakupov

3.5-7.5-7.5

Paajarvi-Hall-Eberle

3-6.5-6.5

?-Lander-?

?-2.5-?

?-?-?

Klefbom-Schultz

5-5

Smid-Petry

3.9-4

?-?

Dubnyk - 5

= 59.9 mil leaving 10 million to fill holes

It seems a lot of you jump to conclusions/hope that the Oilers will have to trade one of their young stars. The Oilers are well equiped to handle their salaries as you can see and that wasn't counting other young players in the system or being drafted as well as return from possibe trades.

If the Flames had one of these players, you guys would be going ape strawberry. I hope the Flames can put together a half enough decent team so we can at least kick your guys's butts in the playoffs.

I beleive it or not, Edmonton will be an attraction for UFAs soon if not turning that way already. They have 4 young potential superstar players and a brand new arena that will be one of the best if not the best in the league. We also have a rich owner who will do whatever it takes to make the Oilers a winner.

I beleive it or not, Edmonton will be an attraction for UFAs soon if not turning that way already. They have 4 young potential superstar players and a brand new arena that will be one of the best if not the best in the league. We also have a rich owner who will do whatever it takes to make the Oilers a winner.

Maybe you should go with, or not...

Most of what you posted for numbers is just a waste of time...

I am not even sure if I should bother to point out how you mangled the word believe...

While I can appreciate the utopian picture of the Oil that you are trying to paint, I can not even remotely begin to recognize it as being feasible...

Best case scenario for the Oil, the talent will still want the dollars... and they could perhaps possibly come close in most cases...

That can only happen if they remain on the current course of being extremely weak on D and also in the net... The multiple bottom of the barrel finishes already speak loudly... and the team has not even had to come to grips with the fact that that they need to add dollars to the weak areas and at the same time plan ahead for the number of major dollar contracts that are soon to come due for the key players that should matter in the future...

I see the Oil as having a small window for success, that also faces an insurmountable obstacle of being an unbalanced and incomplete team unless some pretty radical moves are made in the near future...

In my opinion, they will have to trade away some of the front end talent to shore up the weak areas on the back end...

Maybe you should go with, or not...

Most of what you posted for numbers is just a waste of time...

I am not even sure if I should bother to point out how you mangled the word believe...

While I can appreciate the utopian picture of the Oil that you are trying to paint, I can not even remotely begin to recognize it as being feasible...

Best case scenario for the Oil, the talent will still want the dollars... and they could perhaps possibly come close in most cases...

That can only happen if they remain on the current course of being extremely weak on D and also in the net... The multiple bottom of the barrel finishes already speak loudly... and the team has not even had to come to grips with the fact that that they need to add dollars to the weak areas and at the same time plan ahead for the number of major dollar contracts that are soon to come due for the key players that should matter in the future...

I see the Oil as having a small window for success, that also faces an insurmountable obstacle of being an unbalanced and incomplete team unless some pretty radical moves are made in the near future...

In my opinion, they will have to trade away some of the front end talent to shore up the weak areas on the back end...

I did a complete run through of how the Oilers can afford to keep all of their players and you simply dismiss the numbers.

You probably didn't read them which is your prerogative but you can no longer say the Oilers can't afford their forwards while putting up a decent defence unless you tell me where I went wrong in my numbers.

Hey Connor try signing one of your guys at that price tag when a perennial contender offer sheets at 8mil. k thx have fun

ps. and if you think hall/eberle/mps/rnh will not get offer sheeted your out of your mind. i think not 1 but at least 2 will. and trust me if the oilers miss the playoffs again next year those players will find it hard NOT to sign with a different team

Hey Connor try signing one of your guys at that price tag when a perennial contender offer sheets at 8mil. k thx have fun

ps. and if you think hall/eberle/mps/rnh will not get offer sheeted your out of your mind. i think not 1 but at least 2 will. and trust me if the oilers miss the playoffs again next year those players will find it hard NOT to sign with a different team

It would be great to see one of them go via offer sheet.... (after the Vanek/Penner situations)

Trust me,

Katz will not let those players walk away that easily and they likely won't be in a scenario where they could get an offer sheet.

Bartschi is just as likely to get an offer sheet.

It's funny how jealous Flames fans are of the Oilers' talent and the lack of logic used to attack the Oilers.

It would be great to see one of them go via offer sheet.... (after the Vanek/Penner situations)

Or the Schenns, Couturier after the Weber scenario, Couture after the Hjalmarsson fiasco.

Maybe Bartschi gets offersheeted by the Red Wings.

Trust me,

Katz will not let those players walk away that easily and they likely won't be in a scenario where they could get an offer sheet.

Bartschi is just as likely to get an offer sheet.

It's funny how jealous Flames fans are of the Oilers' talent and the lack of logic used to attack the Oilers.

Or the Schenns, Couturier after the Weber scenario, Couture after the Hjalmarsson fiasco.

Maybe Bartschi gets offersheeted by the Red Wings.

I don't think you understand the situation I proposed Conner, it's not primarily up to management to sign these guys. If the oilers miss the playoffs next year reguardless if it's by 5 pts or dead last. It's another season of disappointment, these players will already have their agents in their ear telling them what kind of deals to expect on the market. For your oilers you think 5-6 mil will sign all of them each. But why would these players sign cheaper to stay in edmonton, it's already labeled a non attractive fa destination and now with 3 (4 if next season is another failure) there's no reason to stay. Now that only addresses the reality of signing them to a fair contract.

Now onto the reality of an offer sheet, in your response any quality rfa should get offer sheeted.. Thats not reality though ownership groups have a unwritten code to not go after players in this manner as it creates "bad business" and makes other teams less likely to trade with you or more so offer you fair value in the future. Ask David poile what he thinks of Philly and if he would like to have friendly trade talks in the near future. Unfortunately for the oilers you have a bad history in the last decade to try and offer sheet. I do believe most teams have no love lost for Edmonton and are equally watching if you can sign these guys because come July 1st a team like the ducks would gladly love to repay the favor of leaching penner and try and steal eberle or hall.

Now I'm sure edmonton will match but now that's over your estimated salary cap. One could easily see if more than one gets offered one will go, (hard to see the oilers shake off more first rounders lol) but that might be your best option if it's hall that leaves it resupplies the cupboard for top picks while still keeping a few strong pieces just not all of them.

Just for strawberrys and giggles, the other rfas you mentioned could potential get offered but most those players are or will be the number one star on that team and their respective organizations are still maintaining a competitive field no reason not to sign.

It's funny how oiler fans are so defensive and ignorant of their own team and want to live in a fantasy world where they an gather high end talent and believe they all will buy into the koolaid without any real results. It's been three years already (since most oiler fans don't include te two years prior to te year they went to the finals even tho that was a rebuilding phase as well) and your team still doesn't look like a championship caliber team with how your goaltending an defensive zone work is.

I don't think you understand the situation I proposed Conner, it's not primarily up to management to sign these guys. If the oilers miss the playoffs next year reguardless if it's by 5 pts or dead last. It's another season of disappointment, these players will already have their agents in their ear telling them what kind of deals to expect on the market. For your oilers you think 5-6 mil will sign all of them each. But why would these players sign cheaper to stay in edmonton, it's already labeled a non attractive fa destination and now with 3 (4 if next season is another failure) there's no reason to stay. Now that only addresses the reality of signing them to a fair contract.

Now onto the reality of an offer sheet, in your response any quality rfa should get offer sheeted.. Thats not reality though ownership groups have a unwritten code to not go after players in this manner as it creates "bad business" and makes other teams less likely to trade with you or more so offer you fair value in the future. Ask David poile what he thinks of Philly and if he would like to have friendly trade talks in the near future. Unfortunately for the oilers you have a bad history in the last decade to try and offer sheet. I do believe most teams have no love lost for Edmonton and are equally watching if you can sign these guys because come July 1st a team like the ducks would gladly love to repay the favor of leaching penner and try and steal eberle or hall.

Now I'm sure edmonton will match but now that's over your estimated salary cap. One could easily see if more than one gets offered one will go, (hard to see the oilers shake off more first rounders lol) but that might be your best option if it's hall that leaves it resupplies the cupboard for top picks while still keeping a few strong pieces just not all of them.

Just for strawberrys and giggles, the other rfas you mentioned could potential get offered but most those players are or will be the number one star on that team and their respective organizations are still maintaining a competitive field no reason not to sign.

It's funny how oiler fans are so defensive and ignorant of their own team and want to live in a fantasy world where they an gather high end talent and believe they all will buy into the koolaid without any real results. It's been three years already (since most oiler fans don't include te two years prior to te year they went to the finals even tho that was a rebuilding phase as well) and your team still doesn't look like a championship caliber team with how your goaltending an defensive zone work is.

On the Weber comment, I have a gut feeling Poile & Homer collaborated on this. After taking advantage of the week the Preds have to match/posture there will probably be after the fact trades to give the Preds roster players & return a few of those picks to the Flyers.

The Oilers have already POed a few GMs. If the Ducks OS Eberle the Sabers could go for Hall. That's 2 sheets for KLowe & his puppet to digest in 1 week. (If both are front loaded it would be tough to match both.) Alternately 1 could be designed to cost Edmonton big $s in 2013 & the other to be loaded in the 2nd year when RNH & Schultz can be targeted. If the Oilers decline both (3 1st rounders for 4 years would make KLowe speckle his shorts) Burke still could be lurking & if the Oilers submit an OS during that time they've got another POed GM. Add division rivals that would have no qualms about gut punching the Oilers & this could lead to a record # of years (& 1/1s) for that rebuild.

Scary when they are trying to raise money for that new arena (already the complex has been scaled down).

Even if the cap is reduced the % of the cap remains the same. A new CBA might change the rules but some cap adviser will have the loopholes figured out by July 1/13 & everything will be common knowledge by July 1/14.

They had better work on making sure all those kids drafted are happy enough in Edmonton to turn down big $s & the chance to go to a competitive team.

- You're merely painting a picture that looks favourable to your desired lack of success of the Oilers. You do not look at the complete picture. How do you know that Edmonton is an unattractive market? Do you talk to players? Do you talk to agents? Many agents and managers see Edmonton as a team on the rise according to several NHL media types. Your assertion is outdated and lacking any credibility. Edmonton is a more attractive destination than Calgary. Is Minnesota an attractive destination? I will admit this, if the Oilers are again a bottom 5 team next season (which I highly doubt), then there will be questions about the team and its future.

I'm not saying that if the Oilers let there players get to RFA status there won't be interest, I'm saying that Katz and company will likely not let the players reach RFA status. Teams are going to offer sheet players if the offer sheet is in the teams' best interest. Look at Holmgren and Polie, they were probably tight and Holmgren still offer sheeted Weber. If the RFA offersheet is in a teams' best interest, they are going to offer it. That's why it won't make a difference if Eberle is an RFA or if Bartschi is an RFA.

This last paragraph is ridiculous. It takes time for teams to rebuild. The Oilers are headed in the right direction and that is up, the Flames have been stuck in neutral for a while and are showing signs of taking a slide down. Champions aren't built the same way, the Oilers strength will be offence and they have

On the Weber comment, I have a gut feeling Poile & Homer collaborated on this. After taking advantage of the week the Preds have to match/posture there will probably be after the fact trades to give the Preds roster players & return a few of those picks to the Flyers.

The Oilers have already POed a few GMs. If the Ducks OS Eberle the Sabers could go for Hall. That's 2 sheets for KLowe & his puppet to digest in 1 week. (If both are front loaded it would be tough to match both.) Alternately 1 could be designed to cost Edmonton big $s in 2013 & the other to be loaded in the 2nd year when RNH & Schultz can be targeted. If the Oilers decline both (3 1st rounders for 4 years would make KLowe speckle his shorts) Burke still could be lurking & if the Oilers submit an OS during that time they've got another POed GM. Add division rivals that would have no qualms about gut punching the Oilers & this could lead to a record # of years (& 1/1s) for that rebuild.

Scary when they are trying to raise money for that new arena (already the complex has been scaled down).

Even if the cap is reduced the % of the cap remains the same. A new CBA might change the rules but some cap adviser will have the loopholes figured out by July 1/13 & everything will be common knowledge by July 1/14.

They had better work on making sure all those kids drafted are happy enough in Edmonton to turn down big $s & the chance to go to a competitive team.

I thought the older you get the wser you get but it seems to be the opposite in your case.

The Oilers are not going to let Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz, Yakupov and Klefbom get to RFA status.

The Oilers payroll will have nothing to do with money for the arena.

The Oilers are going to be a much more competitive team than the Flames and Jets in the near future.

The Flyers should get offersheets for Giroux, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds and Couturier which will decimate their depth, according to your logic.

The Oilers are not going to let Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz, Yakupov and Klefbom get to RFA status.

More accurate: The Oiler will do what they can to prevent Hall, RNH...from getting to RFA status. If the player in question feels there is no upside to staying, they will not sign any extension. Lack of upside could mean different things to different players:

Schultz - lack of top 2 minutes

Hall - frustration with playing on a losing team

Eberle - nothing being done to improve the defensive side(goalie, top 2 D)

As of today there is nothing to suggest that the players will bail. There is nothing to suggest that the team wants to win this year; no top 2 defense broungt in and no top goalie brought in. That would send a message.

Archived