Louis23

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Yup but with close to 10 mill in cap space and their whole team signed I don't think they are too concerned. 

They have $8.328m this season.  Have the buyouts to factor in.  Pouliot and Korpo.

But they get to spend over the cap up to Sekera's IR amount for the first part of the season.

Next year they still have Puljujarvi on an ELC.  

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

They have $8.328m this season.  Have the buyouts to factor in.  Pouliot and Korpo.

But they get to spend over the cap up to Sekera's IR amount for the first part of the season.

Next year they still have Puljujarvi on an ELC.  

8.32 includes the buyouts and is a 24 man roster. Take a couple players out and you close to 10mill

with the bonuses they have and no big FA out there I doubt the Oilers will get close enough to the cap to use Sekeras LTIR but you never know i guess. 

PC has been handing out Lottomax cheques like a drunken sailor ever since he got to Edm.  Never understood the rush to extend McD.  The McD signing only inflated the Draisaitl signing.  I think PC did it checking from behind backwards.  Candidate for GM of the year….yup.   :lol:

PC's hangover starts next season when he his 11 FA’s are looking for a new deal and his cheques are all gone.  :lol:

12 hours ago, cross16 said:

Yup but with close to 10 mill in cap space and their whole team signed I don't think they are too concerned. 

Also, they're just not that bright (another reason they won't be concerned).   They have a bit of temporary room this year with McDavid on ELC, but with more than half their team to sign next year, it's done.    If they do poorly this year, they'll have no cap space left to improve.

If they do well, they'll have to start dismantling.   Or something ridiculous like buying out Lucic.  It's been drunken sailor contracts.   If McDavid was off his ELC they would Already be over the cap, and they're nowhere close to being a contender.    So they need to reduce their contracts next year.    And that's not considering that 5 players ( not just McDavid) come off of ELC next season.   So that's another $10 million right there, minimum, that they don't have.

Must of their UFAs next season are already on super cheap contracts.  They're not going to be shedding any money.   

It's done.

16 hours ago, cross16 said:

8.32 includes the buyouts and is a 24 man roster. Take a couple players out and you close to 10mill

with the bonuses they have and no big FA out there I doubt the Oilers will get close enough to the cap to use Sekeras LTIR but you never know i guess. 

I would agree with cross on this one.

As of right now next season they have 60 million as their cap hit, which leaves them 15 milion to resign guys such as strome, benning, nurse, all of which shouldnt be crazy cap hits because the two D men havent shown that much yet and strome is what he is. Although if benning or nurse become 2nd pairng guys this season, next summer could be a tough one for the oilers.  Im really wondering if they bring back maroon or if he cashes in during free agency if he has another good season, even at 2 million he takes up some valuable cap space.

The problem I see is I dont really know how they are going to make this team better with russell at 4 and lucic at 6, but thats a problem for next summer I would say. Further to that I think if it comes down to it the oilers could trade RNH for some return and be just fine with mcdavid/hopefully draisital down the middle, im not convinced of his potential as a center yet, but hes got time.

I agree the question should not be about the cap it should be about what position Draisaitl plays. If he builds off or continues his playoff success at center then the OIlers will be a very dangerous team even with the cap contracts they have. 

Cap will go up, can trade RNH, can trade Sekera and they've got a few guys emerging as solid depth options. High end talent is the hardest to get, hardest to keep and is more often the difference in winning a cup or not. Going to need depth to continue to step up but with the talent they have, especially if Draisaitl sticks at center, they will be a very good team for years to come. 

Oilers almost need Strome, Nurse, Benning, Caggiula,Slepyshev and Maroon to have poor seasons if they want to be able to afford them all. It's a classic catch 22, they could go all the way this year but then be forced to blow it up and struggle to ice a competitive team under the cap for a few years. 

6 minutes ago, rickross said:

Oilers almost need Strome, Nurse, Benning, Caggiula,Slepyshev and Maroon to have poor seasons if they want to be able to afford them all. It's a classic catch 22, they could go all the way this year but then be forced to blow it up and struggle to ice a competitive team under the cap for a few years. 

Yup.  We have 1 year left before the two contracts kick in, and then it's trouble.   I think they need to unload RNH as soon as possilbe.  If they can then it won't be horrible for them.  The problem as you stated is there are more names coming up to sign, and I am going to include Talbot in your list as well.  The cap is going to have to increase substantially and quickly to make anything work IMO.

Everybody keeps saying we are following the Chicago model of signing two big names to big contracts and then adjusting the roster to accomodate, but I say that's complete BS.  Chicago bothered to go ahead and win a couple of cups BEFORE signing Toews and Kane to the big dollars.  You can't win when you have a over quarter of your cap invested in two players, unless a heck of a lot of talent wants to come in at a discount to take part in winning a cup (which I'm afraid would not happen in Edmonton or any western canada market frankly).  I said that when Chicago re-signed Toews and Kane to massive dollars, and I'm saying it now with Edmonton.

On a side note, I think we are going to be seeing more and more of NBA style rosters where several stars will take a discount to all play together on one big market team in order to guarantee themselves a championship.   The league is going to be a cap mess in the years to come IMO.

2 hours ago, bronco73 said:

Yup.  We have 1 year left before the two contracts kick in, and then it's trouble.   I think they need to unload RNH as soon as possilbe.  If they can then it won't be horrible for them.  The problem as you stated is there are more names coming up to sign, and I am going to include Talbot in your list as well.  The cap is going to have to increase substantially and quickly to make anything work IMO.

Everybody keeps saying we are following the Chicago model of signing two big names to big contracts and then adjusting the roster to accomodate, but I say that's complete BS.  Chicago bothered to go ahead and win a couple of cups BEFORE signing Toews and Kane to the big dollars.  You can't win when you have a over quarter of your cap invested in two players, unless a heck of a lot of talent wants to come in at a discount to take part in winning a cup (which I'm afraid would not happen in Edmonton or any western canada market frankly).  I said that when Chicago re-signed Toews and Kane to massive dollars, and I'm saying it now with Edmonton.

On a side note, I think we are going to be seeing more and more of NBA style rosters where several stars will take a discount to all play together on one big market team in order to guarantee themselves a championship.   The league is going to be a cap mess in the years to come IMO.

Don't be talking realistic like that on the Oilers board. :rolleyes:

I did & wasn't well liked.

Windsor does that & others wearing glasses with that copper patina hate anyone raining on their parade.

Talbot will be your most important re-sign but in 2 years the $s to do that will be minimal if McDavid & Draisaitl are to have any kind of decent supporting cast.

Taken case by case McDavid, Draisaitl, Sekara, Larrsson, Klefborn & especially Talbot all provide good bang for the buck but that'll be 36-37 tied up in 6 players next year. With the unmovable Lucic @ 6 bring it to 42-42 which is over 1/2 the cap while ELCs expire. With carry over bonuses & McDavid (maybe others) hitting their bonuses this year there is no money to add @ the TDL unless RNH is traded so that window to win is very short. This is a strange case where every player has to give his best while expecting this is the last time this crew is together because of economics. The cap/revenue sharing allowed teams to remain when the Loonie was minimal but now it hurts those teams when they finally build a roster to compete with the best.

Good luck Bronco. That's sincere as you suffered all the bad.

16 hours ago, bronco73 said:

Hey Bronco, long time no hear.  

You must have your work cut out for you on the Oiler boards these days.  Sunshine and lollypops.  I think FF52 mentioned it, but this year is going to spell trouble for the Oiler roster.  For the team to go deeper in the playoffs, the guys on their contract years have to perform above expectations.  If they don't, the chances of making the playoffs are lessened.  If they do, then you can't afford to keep them.  Sure, you can always trade Nuge for draft picks, but nobody is going to offer lottery draft picks for him.  If you do an Eberle-Strome type trade, you aren't going to save that much.

It's a nice problem to have two players deserving big raises.  It another to be able to move the team forward while paying them.  Let's hope the BOA is more exciting than the last few years.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Hey Bronco, long time no hear.  

You must have your work cut out for you on the Oiler boards these days.  Sunshine and lollypops.  I think FF52 mentioned it, but this year is going to spell trouble for the Oiler roster.  For the team to go deeper in the playoffs, the guys on their contract years have to perform above expectations.  If they don't, the chances of making the playoffs are lessened.  If they do, then you can't afford to keep them.  Sure, you can always trade Nuge for draft picks, but nobody is going to offer lottery draft picks for him.  If you do an Eberle-Strome type trade, you aren't going to save that much.

It's a nice problem to have two players deserving big raises.  It another to be able to move the team forward while paying them.  Let's hope the BOA is more exciting than the last few years.  

I think two things really need to happen this season for them to trade RNH, strome needs to be a realistic  option for them as a third line center, and hopefully he can stick there, as he as been employed on the wing for a few years now. Also Draisital needs to run his own line, if they are to be achieve those two things it makes RNH expendable, hopefully they are able to trade him for some value at the wing or if benning/nurse dont pan out as top 4 options, they can trade RNH for a #4 guy or #3 guy depending on the team, although im not sure which team would be looking for that, but if RNH returns to form it shouldnt be unreasonable.

I dont think the oilers fans have any reason to be worried this summer but next summer with alot of guys being in line for big raises/depth at the wings lacking, it should be interesting to see what they do. Poolparty should make a good addition at the wing, but after that they only have lucic as a top 6 option, even  pittsburgh with all their money invested in malkin/crosby has good options for their top 6. IF benson can stop being injured they could have a good one there and if yamamoto pans out as a top 6 NHLer they could have a couple good options. 

As I said before if benning/nurse dont step up as top 4 options and they dont get some guys stepping up on the wings, they will be in tight next summer. 

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I think two things really need to happen this season for them to trade RNH, strome needs to be a realistic  option for them as a third line center, and hopefully he can stick there, as he as been employed on the wing for a few years now. Also Draisital needs to run his own line, if they are to be achieve those two things it makes RNH expendable, hopefully they are able to trade him for some value at the wing or if benning/nurse dont pan out as top 4 options, they can trade RNH for a #4 guy or #3 guy depending on the team, although im not sure which team would be looking for that, but if RNH returns to form it shouldnt be unreasonable.

I dont think the oilers fans have any reason to be worried this summer but next summer with alot of guys being in line for big raises/depth at the wings lacking, it should be interesting to see what they do. Poolparty should make a good addition at the wing, but after that they only have lucic as a top 6 option, even  pittsburgh with all their money invested in malkin/crosby has good options for their top 6. IF benson can stop being injured they could have a good one there and if yamamoto pans out as a top 6 NHLer they could have a couple good options. 

As I said before if benning/nurse dont step up as top 4 options and they dont get some guys stepping up on the wings, they will be in tight next summer. 

If Strome brings up his game, then he is going to be a difficult signing.  If he surpasses Nuge as a center, then Nuge has little value.  More like Brandon Sutter value.  Not zero, but at $6m it's not great.

Why the Oilers should be concerned is that some teams in the west have improved their team, while EDM has done little and prefers to see internal growth.  Chia is effectively saying he expects the guys that performed all season (minus Eberle and Pouliot) will have similar results, and the young guys will take a step forward.  That's a lot to go right.  

On 8/18/2017 at 0:49 PM, travel_dude said:

If Strome brings up his game, then he is going to be a difficult signing.  If he surpasses Nuge as a center, then Nuge has little value.  More like Brandon Sutter value.  Not zero, but at $6m it's not great.

Why the Oilers should be concerned is that some teams in the west have improved their team, while EDM has done little and prefers to see internal growth.  Chia is effectively saying he expects the guys that performed all season (minus Eberle and Pouliot) will have similar results, and the young guys will take a step forward.  That's a lot to go right.  

I agree. I was more talking cap wise they have nothing to worry about this summer, but I dont see why he expects nurse/benning to step into sekeras role, it just doesnt make sense. I dont think their forward group got better, unless pool party can take a step forward. Also the big worry for me being they still dont have a back up goalie, and I dont see why they want brossoit sitting on the bench.

10 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I agree. I was more talking cap wise they have nothing to worry about this summer, but I dont see why he expects nurse/benning to step into sekeras role, it just doesnt make sense. I dont think their forward group got better, unless pool party can take a step forward. Also the big worry for me being they still dont have a back up goalie, and I dont see why they want brossoit sitting on the bench.

I don't think they have much choice, since he faces waivers (IIRC).  They are going to try to play him 20 games.  Try.  They have been using the Kipper model of playing the crap out of their starter, but are aware that can't really continue.  

Unfortunately for them, they are setting up the pending cap disaster by putting their young guns in the position to succeed.  Good problem to have if they all do, but it will gut their team.  

On 2017-08-17 at 4:55 PM, bronco73 said:

Exactly this.   100%, we will start to see more NBA style rosters made of several stars taking a cut.   IMHO, we've already seen it in Pittsburgh.

Also (sorry):   We're not going to see it any time soon in Edmonton.  Not with the current ownership/management.   Very likely not unless global warming makes Edmonton the place to be.  Or if exceptional management/ownership steers things straight.

That's been a known for a long time, and only reiterated with the Lucic and Draisaitl signings.   Next year will require signings for a Minimum of half their team.  

I would have liked to see something like this happen in Calgary.  It's not right now.  It could in the future.

6 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Exactly this.   100%, we will start to see more NBA style rosters made of several stars taking a cut.   IMHO, we've already seen it in Pittsburgh.

In 2003-04 Selanne & Kariya both took pays cuts as UFAs in hopes of winning a SC together in Colorado. Spoiler alert: it didn't work.

BTW, what players took a pay cut in Pittsburgh?

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎17 at 4:55 PM, bronco73 said:

Championships are never guaranteed.  Players will always gravitate to the teams who pay them the most.  Occasionally you see players take less to play for teams of their choice (Sharp).

I’m not sure the league has ever been healthier.  The only cap mess we are going to see are from teams or GM’s who fail to manage their cap. 

I would gladly take McDavid and make him the richest player in the game.  That’s the easy part, the challenging part is to build a championship team around him.

2 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

In 2003-04 Selanne & Kariya both took pays cuts as UFAs in hopes of winning a SC together in Colorado. Spoiler alert: it didn't work.

Man they were good in their prime.   Nothing in life is ever guaranteed.

BTW, what players took a pay cut in Pittsburgh?

Crosby in 2012.  He's underpaid to today's standards but agreed to make a long term deal then.  You could argue his concusions factored into it.  But in the end it was him who went long term there at what is now a bargain for the Pens.

Matt Murray literally could have signed for double what he did, or refused to sign for more than a single year.

I would even make the arguement that Schultz left some on the table, having learned from past mistakes, and finally coming into his own after playing for an actual organization.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Man they were good in their prime.   Nothing in life is ever guaranteed.

Crosby in 2012.  He's underpaid to today's standards but agreed to make a long term deal then.  You could argue his concusions factored into it.  But in the end it was him who went long term there at what is now a bargain for the Pens.

Matt Murray literally could have signed for double what he did, or refused to sign for more than a single year.

I would even make the arguement that Schultz left some on the table, having learned from past mistakes, and finally coming into his own after playing for an actual organization.

I dont know how you figure any of those players left money on the table, crosby signed for a good amount of the cap when he did, it really is in the both parties best interest to get him signed long term especially with his problems with concussions, I dont know if 14% of the cap is leaving anything on the table, as there was no gurantee the cap would go up.

Matt murray signed his extension after one good season, he could have waited but even then I dont know if he had enough leverage as a goalie to ask for big money, especially since there was no gurantee when he signed his new deal that the pens would win another cup, does everyone look at him differently if they dont win another cup? Also RFAs do have some leverage, but I dont know how many RFA goalies have got big money deals coming off their entry level deal.  Obviously very few have done what he has done but less then 100 games doesnt warrant a big money contract for a goalie if you ask me. Not saying he will be, but at this point he could just as well be a bust as an all star, thats just the way goalies are.

Also where did justin schultz take a pay cut, hes getting paid 5.5 million a year after one decent NHL season while playing in a sheltered role.

Id love to hear your arguments for how they left some on the table, crosby is probably the only one you have a leg to stand on with though. 

9 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I dont know how you figure any of those players left money on the table, crosby signed for a good amount of the cap when he did, it really is in the both parties best interest to get him signed long term especially with his problems with concussions, I dont know if 14% of the cap is leaving anything on the table, as there was no gurantee the cap would go up.

Matt murray signed his extension after one good season, he could have waited but even then I dont know if he had enough leverage as a goalie to ask for big money, especially since there was no gurantee when he signed his new deal that the pens would win another cup, does everyone look at him differently if they dont win another cup? Also RFAs do have some leverage, but I dont know how many RFA goalies have got big money deals coming off their entry level deal.  Obviously very few have done what he has done but less then 100 games doesnt warrant a big money contract for a goalie if you ask me. Not saying he will be, but at this point he could just as well be a bust as an all star, thats just the way goalies are.

Also where did justin schultz take a pay cut, hes getting paid 5.5 million a year after one decent NHL season while playing in a sheltered role.

Id love to hear your arguments for how they left some on the table, crosby is probably the only one you have a leg to stand on with though. 

I actually don't even agree with which leg you think I have to stand on.   Matt Murray had every opportunity to make double what he does, RFA or not.  If I had one leg to stand on, it would be that.   At least a dozen teams would have lined up to trade for him, the Flames near the front of that list.   And we would have signed him for a cool $6m easy.   I know on the goaltending thread, prior to his second cup, there were doubters who weren't sure if he was enough of an assurance for here.    That is because they are crazy.   We've not had our goaltending heads screwed on right since Kipper.  

know a lot of people on here hate Crosby, but he is still the best player in the world and he essentially took a paycut if you compare his percentage of the cap when he signed, versus his perentage of the cap on his previous contract.    That is, by any  sane definition, a paycut.  Crosby simply could have signed a shorter term deal.   This is not a person who lacks confidence.  We all had concerns, but if there was one person on this earth who believed he would fully recover, it was Crosby himself.  He signed that long term deal because he was grateful for the Pens patience with him.  

41 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I actually don't even agree with which leg you think I have to stand on.   Matt Murray had every opportunity to make double what he does, RFA or not.  If I had one leg to stand on, it would be that.   At least a dozen teams would have lined up to trade for him, the Flames near the front of that list.   And we would have signed him for a cool $6m easy.   I know on the goaltending thread, prior to his second cup, there were doubters who weren't sure if he was enough of an assurance for here.    That is because they are crazy.   We've not had our goaltending heads screwed on right since Kipper.  

know a lot of people on here hate Crosby, but he is still the best player in the world and he essentially took a paycut if you compare his percentage of the cap when he signed, versus his perentage of the cap on his previous contract.    That is, by any  sane definition, a paycut.  Crosby simply could have signed a shorter term deal.   This is not a person who lacks confidence.  We all had concerns, but if there was one person on this earth who believed he would fully recover, it was Crosby himself.  He signed that long term deal because he was grateful for the Pens patience with him.  

When matt murray signed his contract in oct of 2016 he had one season of NHL experience and I dont think anyone would have signed him for 3.75 million. Im not doubting that hes a good goalie, I just dont belive someone with one year of NHL experience took a pay cut, especially a goalie, considering other goalies we have seen go on a run and take a team to the cup.

It is technically a paycut but that sounds like semantics to me, considering a longer term deal would involve him getting paid more money in the long term, it was a 12 year deal vs a 5 year deal, not fair comparsion.  If the cap didnt change much the penguins still could have been looking at say 12% of their cap invested in crosby, versus the previous 14% over 12 years? My point being usually longer term deals cost you less dollars because you are signed for longer which means more money, so I doubt golden boy took a pay cut. 

I think youre assuming far too much about players just saying I want a short term deals(so they can prove themselves more) or more money etc, alot of big name players cant take pay cuts necessarily because the NHLPA wants them to take as much money as they can, so the other players value is just as good more or less. Im not saying players dont take hometown discounts, but I really dont think players do it as much as we think. For example versteeg got 1.75 this year vs his 950k last year, some people reported he took a discount, but I dont know if we would got more then 2.5 on the open market.

3 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

When matt murray signed his contract in oct of 2016 he had one season of NHL experience and I dont think anyone would have signed him for 3.75 million. Im not doubting that hes a good goalie, I just dont belive someone with one year of NHL experience took a pay cut, especially a goalie, considering other goalies we have seen go on a run and take a team to the cup.

It is technically a paycut but that sounds like semantics to me, considering a longer term deal would involve him getting paid more money in the long term, it was a 12 year deal vs a 5 year deal, not fair comparsion.  If the cap didnt change much the penguins still could have been looking at say 12% of their cap invested in crosby, versus the previous 14% over 12 years? My point being usually longer term deals cost you less dollars because you are signed for longer which means more money, so I doubt golden boy took a pay cut. 

I think youre assuming far too much about players just saying I want a short term deals(so they can prove themselves more) or more money etc, alot of big name players cant take pay cuts necessarily because the NHLPA wants them to take as much money as they can, so the other players value is just as good more or less. Im not saying players dont take hometown discounts, but I really dont think players do it as much as we think. For example versteeg got 1.75 this year vs his 950k last year, some people reported he took a discount, but I dont know if we would got more then 2.5 on the open market.

I've no real desire to have an arguement with another Flames fan on this thread.  I respect your opinion.  Like you said, however, Sidney did take a pay cut and we can debate the reasons and significance and I might even agree with you that a lot of it was circumstantial, but at the end of the day, that's what it is.

• -McDavid has no experience, no cups, no nothing.   And he will make 43% more than Crosby who (maybe only slightly) is still the better player when it matters.
  • -Talbot has one ok season with the Oilers.  Just one.   Failed in the playoffs.     Not a notable career prior to coming to Edmonton.
    •   He makes a half million more than Matt Murray, who in the same time won a cup with Pittsburgh, and was phenomenal.

You're right, maybe there's some circumstance to Pittsburgh's salaries.    Maybe it wasn't really their desire to be champions.   I'm just saying, it is what it is and it's helped.

And you'd also be right if you said it was unfair of me to compare them to Edmonton.   Because Edmonton is the polar opposite.   We could even get into player-to-player comparisons of .. Draisaitl and Lucic to Malkin and Kessel, for instance.   It just goes on (like the fact that Draisaitl literally makes what Crosby does).   I'm totally fine with conceeding that Pittburgh's salary structure wasn't formed out of altruism.   As long as it's clear how Edmonton's stacks up in the here and now.

Until the new deals for Kane/Toews kicked in Crosby was either the highest paid, or 2nd highest behind Weber, player in the league during the course of his deal. Looking at cap hit is misleading you need to look at what he is being paid especially considering that the deal Crosby signed is no longer allowed.

Inflationary salaries and his percentage of the cap falling makes it look like he took less but he didn't. At the time it was by far the richest contract and as a matter of fact is still the richest contract in NHL history i'm pretty sure. he is guaranteed more than McDavid. that is not taking less, that is the value of cost certainty in a market where the cap goes up every year. Reason why you constantly see NFL players holding out, economics change. 

13 hours ago, cross16 said:

Until the new deals for Kane/Toews kicked in Crosby was either the highest paid, or 2nd highest behind Weber, player in the league during the course of his deal. Looking at cap hit is misleading you need to look at what he is being paid especially considering that the deal Crosby signed is no longer allowed.

Inflationary salaries and his percentage of the cap falling makes it look like he took less but he didn't. At the time it was by far the richest contract and as a matter of fact is still the richest contract in NHL history i'm pretty sure. he is guaranteed more than McDavid. that is not taking less, that is the value of cost certainty in a market where the cap goes up every year. Reason why you constantly see NFL players holding out, economics change. 

That is your opinion that we need to look  at other things, we are not obligated to nor do we need to.   I only point to the difference because we are actually specifically talking right now about cap hit and how much room the Pens versus the Oilers are left with in these next few critical years, with respect to the cost of McDavid and Crosby.

There is no question that the Oilers will be harder hit as of next year, than the Penguins have been in winning the cup with Crosby and next year as well.

I understand that there are reasons for it that you've touched on, and that many people including myself haven't given them adequate consideration for a hollistic comparison of cause and effect.    But there is a reason for that.   It's because it's not relevant to what we're talking about.  Which is essentially that the Oilers are screwed.

23 hours ago, jjgallow said:

That is your opinion that we need to look  at other things, we are not obligated to nor do we need to.   I only point to the difference because we are actually specifically talking right now about cap hit and how much room the Pens versus the Oilers are left with in these next few critical years, with respect to the cost of McDavid and Crosby.

There is no question that the Oilers will be harder hit as of next year, than the Penguins have been in winning the cup with Crosby and next year as well.

I understand that there are reasons for it that you've touched on, and that many people including myself haven't given them adequate consideration for a hollistic comparison of cause and effect.    But there is a reason for that.   It's because it's not relevant to what we're talking about.  Which is essentially that the Oilers are screwed.

I think this is dependent on what names are able to be moved out and what other names are able to be signed at.  I.E, moving Eberle for Strome saved 3.5 in cap room for arguably an equivalent player.  If Nugent Hopkins can be moved (YES PLEASE!!) in the same manner then the cap issues would not be quite so obvious.  Almost every team is tight to the cap and tough decisions have to be made to gain cap relief, Edmonton and Pittsburgh are no different. 

Archived