Louis23

15 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Im glad im not the only one who thinks its a little ridiculous especially with all the factors included. Especially when there is no reason Nuges line is going to break out suddenly this season.

I think some people seem to forget that the oilers record was 47-26-9 and ours was 45-33-4, the oilers lost 5 more times in OT, which almost covers the point spread between us as it is. The only thing I will point out is the oilers were apparantly more injured then us last season, but like I said I dont remember any of their big name guys missing significant time.

Take McDavid or Talbot out for 10 games and that is likely 8 losses.

Teams either improve, stay the same or regress.  They lost one player that meant a lot to their offense, even if he had a down season.  With that "down" season, he still had more points than Strome's best season.  Subtract Hendricks and add Jokinen; basically a wash.  Loss of Sekera for a few months without adding an impact defenseman is a loss.

You have to look deeper though at shooting percentages.  Letestu and Maroon with career years.  Are they both really that good and can they keep that rate?  Plus/minus is not a great stat, but when you see only 4 players above +8, and two of them were Sekera and Larson, that should be worrisome.  

I'm not going to sit here and trash the Oilers.  I think they will be in the playoff hunt this year.  But they are an injury away from dropping like a stone.  No McDavid and scoring dries up.  No Talbot and goaltending is non-existent.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Take McDavid or Talbot out for 10 games and that is likely 8 losses.

Teams either improve, stay the same or regress.  They lost one player that meant a lot to their offense, even if he had a down season.  With that "down" season, he still had more points than Strome's best season.  Subtract Hendricks and add Jokinen; basically a wash.  Loss of Sekera for a few months without adding an impact defenseman is a loss.

You have to look deeper though at shooting percentages.  Letestu and Maroon with career years.  Are they both really that good and can they keep that rate?  Plus/minus is not a great stat, but when you see only 4 players above +8, and two of them were Sekera and Larson, that should be worrisome.  

I'm not going to sit here and trash the Oilers.  I think they will be in the playoff hunt this year.  But they are an injury away from dropping like a stone.  No McDavid and scoring dries up.  No Talbot and goaltending is non-existent.

Im not about trashing the oilers either, just confused about the the trolling that some oilers fans are doing, or maybe its not trolling I dont even know.

I would agree on shooting percentages and like you said if an injury to mcdavid/talbot would probably sink their ship. Obviously losing a star player is a big blow to any team, but losing gaudreau could be covered off by our depth, as was proven in the 10 game stretch without him.

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So denial it is. Just like they deny to 10 years in the sewer until being granted McDavid.

Can't blame them as a year & 1 more SC after the others on those dynasty teams started leaving for other pastures. That started the long, painful downward spiral they are finally trying to pull out of.

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

So denial it is. Just like they deny to 10 years in the sewer until being granted McDavid.

Can't blame them as a year & 1 more SC after the others on those dynasty teams started leaving for other pastures. That started the long, painful downward spiral they are finally trying to pull out of.

For the record, I do not visit either site much.  The posters are a few realistic guy (like Bronco) and the rest like Connor4futureGM; fanboys with never a bad word about the team, the GM or even Katz.  

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

For the record, I do not visit either site much.  The posters are a few realistic guy (like Bronco) and the rest like Connor4futureGM; fanboys with never a bad word about the team, the GM or even Katz.  

Bronco was always good. He even came to chat here & was respectful.

I once thought the same of Crude Oil but he turned on me back when I bothered posting there so I said goodbye.:huh:

Connor is posting again? I guess his mommy let him go back to posting on the MB. :rolleyes:I wonder if he'll come to try to troll us like he did when he saw RNH = Gretzky, Hall = Messier & J Schultz as Coffey. :lol:

4 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Bronco was always good. He even came to chat here & was respectful.

I once thought the same of Crude Oil but he turned on me back when I bothered posting there so I said goodbye.:huh:

Connor is posting again? I guess his mommy let him go back to posting on the MB. :rolleyes:I wonder if he'll come to try to troll us like he did when he saw RNH = Gretzky, Hall = Messier & J Schultz as Coffey. :lol:

No, he never showed his face again.  I was just using him as an example, since he and Bronco both used to post here, and you likely remember how bad he was.  Funny how people like that felt they had such awesome players and prospects even though they never seemed to end up in the NHL. 

You used to be able to do cross-posting on Oilersnation if you were set up on Flames Nation.  I posted a comparison between Matt Phillips and Yamamoto, and the writer of the blog responded that a 6th rounder could never be compared to a 1st rounder.  That was him complete response to facts and figures.  Most there feel Yamamoto is the 2nd coming.  Paddy Kane or Kailer Hockey.  I don't dispute the talent, but a small guy like that faces a big challenge to even make the NHL.  Much like Gaudreau did and Phillips will face.

That is one thing that I'm ashamed to admit is bothering me more than it should. "Yamamoto is our counter to gaudreau." "Yeah LOL Calgary is gunna be so mad when Kailer is better XDXDXDFBOIUBOASIB)PSITGFBP!!!!!!."

...Ummm, no. Yamamoto is our Phillips as previously stated (if you really feel the need to compare players). Outside of being small I don't quite understand the comparison to Gaudreau. Yamamoto is more a goal scorer and has no where near the lateral movement of Johnny.

Its kind of funny how oil tank fans are so quick to feel the need come up with a counter on every good thing we have...like they're jealous little kids that didn't get any presents on their brothers birthday.

2 hours ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

That is one thing that I'm ashamed to admit is bothering me more than it should. "Yamamoto is our counter to gaudreau." "Yeah LOL Calgary is gunna be so mad when Kailer is better XDXDXDFBOIUBOASIB)PSITGFBP!!!!!!."

...Ummm, no. Yamamoto is our Phillips as previously stated (if you really feel the need to compare players). Outside of being small I don't quite understand the comparison to Gaudreau. Yamamoto is more a goal scorer and has no where near the lateral movement of Johnny.

Its kind of funny how oil tank fans are so quick to feel the need come up with a counter on every good thing we have...like they're jealous little kids that didn't get any presents on their brothers birthday.

We've done it too, I've always said our AHL team is our Oilers.

But, that's also unfair.  Our AHL team doesn't have nearly as many issues.

9 hours ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

I did the compare with Phillips since they had very similar seasons in their respective last 2.  KM has played 3 full seasons to Phillips 2.  Their ages are almost the same.

I won't take it any farther than that.  

23 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

The sad thing for the fans is that they need the pending RFA's and UFA to play their socks off this season to make the playoffs again this season.  That will set up the dismantling of the team.  They are currently sitting at 13 NHL players signed next season for a total of $60m.  Nurse, Benning, Caggiula, and Slepyshev all coming off ELC's, while Pakarinen, Brossoit and Strome RFA's with arbitration rights.  Letestu and Maroon are UFA's.

I'm sure that NHL GM's will help them out unloading Nuge or.... never mind, other than him or Lucic, there isn't many player that make enough they could trade away. 

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The sad thing for the fans is that they need the pending RFA's and UFA to play their socks off this season to make the playoffs again this season.  That will set up the dismantling of the team.  They are currently sitting at 13 NHL players signed next season for a total of $60m.  Nurse, Benning, Caggiula, and Slepyshev all coming off ELC's, while Pakarinen, Brossoit and Strome RFA's with arbitration rights.  Letestu and Maroon are UFA's.

I'm sure that NHL GM's will help them out unloading Nuge or.... never mind, other than him or Lucic, there isn't many player that make enough they could trade away. 

They will just never get that hometown discount you need to make the cap work.   Even McDavid...people say he left money on the table, but not the way I see it.   He got what was fair, exactly, imho.   And my guess is he'll regret doing it with Edmonton.

Onward with the inflated contracts....

10 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

They will just never get that hometown discount you need to make the cap work.   Even McDavid...people say he left money on the table, but not the way I see it.   He got what was fair, exactly, imho.   And my guess is he'll regret doing it with Edmonton.

Onward with the inflated contracts....

Oilers will need to hope the cap rises significantly over the years also need to consider how much more expensive things get if McD and Leon hit all their bonuses

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Just saying an OS to Nurse @ 2-3.9 only costs a 2nd rounder. That's a big chunk of the 14 they'll have left to fill out a roster that sits @ 13 players (& no b/u) in 2018-19.

2 hours ago, rickross said:

Oilers will need to hope the cap rises significantly over the years also need to consider how much more expensive things get if McD and Leon hit all their bonuses

They don't have any bonuses. Players off their ELC are ineligible for bonuses. The cap hits you see are what they are going to cost for the full 8 years.

41 minutes ago, cross16 said:

They don't have any bonuses. Players off their ELC are ineligible for bonuses. The cap hits you see are what they are going to cost for the full 8 years.

McDavid is still on his ELC this year so the Oilers would be well advised to factor an additional 2.85 into this year's cap hit as the carry over hurts them even more next season.

If all their ELCs like Nurse & Poolparty hit max bonuses that's 7.525 off the cap this year or the next with carry over.

5 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

McDavid is still on his ELC this year so the Oilers would be well advised to factor an additional 2.85 into this year's cap hit as the carry over hurts them even more next season.

If all their ELCs like Nurse & Poolparty hit max bonuses that's 7.525 off the cap this year or the next with carry over.

Yup but with close to 10 mill in cap space and their whole team signed I don't think they are too concerned. 

Disclaimer - I mildly enjoy sarcasm.  

Surely the events of today could only have occurred due to the previous actions of Saint McDavid leaving a cool 750k per year on the table to ensure the Oilers are competitive in the future. God bless you selfless one. Names like Ghandi, William Wallace and Jesus come to mind but don't do you justice. 

They will be in cap hell in 8 months and all they've done in a decade is win one playoff series against a beat up team. Best we could have hoped for when they finally lucked out after all those #1's. Plus, I don't know about anyone else but I get the sense that HHR has come close to plateauing. 

Archived