Louis23

I'll float an idea. The 4th OA for Trouba & the Jets take LD Chychrun to balance out their top 4.

By the time the Finn they add @ #2 & Kyle Connor are up to speed so should Chychrun & Morrissey.

Pretty reasonable trade IMO and one that I think suits both. Jets can afford to move Trouba as well as still have a pretty solid D core next year.

I think that's a pretty win-win trade for both actually. I think any dmen the Oilers want as 4 has similar upside to what Trouba has which is top pairing but not number 1. 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll float an idea. The 4th OA for Trouba & the Jets take LD Chychrun to balance out their top 4.

By the time the Finn they add @ #2 & Kyle Connor are up to speed so should Chychrun & Morrissey.

Couldn't they just trade for Hamonic and be set that much sooner?  

Couldn't they just trade for Hamonic and be set that much sooner?  

If you mean the Oilers pick for Hamonic I doubt Snow would do it. He wants a young D in return so Nurse or Klefborn plus.

Maybe 4th OA & Yak if he figures Yak might be better off in the east.

I think they'd jump at that if he were signed.  He's an RFA, isn't he?

He's still RFA but far enough along to be top pairing RD on that sorry lot. Also is better than any UFA defense available & young enough to fit what passes as their core. Anyone they draft @ D is a couple of years away & I believe the top 3 D prospects are all LD.

If you mean the Oilers pick for Hamonic I doubt Snow would do it. He wants a young D in return so Nurse or Klefborn plus.

Maybe 4th OA & Yak if he figures Yak might be better off in the east.

He's still RFA but far enough along to be top pairing RD on that sorry lot. Also is better than any UFA defense available & young enough to fit what passes as their core. Anyone they draft @ D is a couple of years away & I believe the top 3 D prospects are all LD.

Sorry I meant Jets trading Trouba for Hamonic.  

Sick of Oilers.  All I want to see of them is on the wrong end of a Regher-like hit.

Sorry I meant Jets trading Trouba for Hamonic.  

I can still see that happening.

Thing is it leaves the Jets with 3 dang good RD again. When Myers is your #3 that's a strong position.

Yet teams are crying for RD while the Jets need better LD. I like Enstrom but I'd like him better as #2 LD. Hopefully Morrissey can prove himself this season.

People keep forgetting, it was a request not a demand. The islanders agreed to accommodate him when possible. Nobody is pressuring anybody..the Islanders still own the advantage.they will trade him when, and if, they get the right deal

It WAS a request.

What I remember Hamonic saying back in February is, if the Islanders cannot trade him closer to home during the season then he'll wait until the summer time. In other words, the request can and may turn into a demand this summer. Basically, Hamonic will not be happy playing for the Islanders past this season.

It WAS a request.

What I remember Hamonic saying back in February is, if the Islanders cannot trade him closer to home during the season then he'll wait until the summer time. In other words, the request can and may turn into a demand this summer. Basically, Hamonic will not be happy playing for the Islanders past this season.

Or the emergency passed.

Or the NYI made other arrangements so his family is closer to NY.

Or the owner makes his private plane available so Hamonic can fly direct.

Remember that regardless of who he plays for Hamonic could be in California, Florida or NY when he wants to be home to deal with whatever it is. Calgary or the other teams really don't put him that much closer & air connections aren't great. Try checking possible flights from Calgary to Winnipeg.

If you take the tack I high lighted he wants to play only for the Jets as it's 42 home stands & the practice days. Most days he'll be close to St. Malo.

Or the emergency passed.

Or the NYI made other arrangements so his family is closer to NY.

Or the owner makes his private plane available so Hamonic can fly direct.

Remember that regardless of who he plays for Hamonic could be in California, Florida or NY when he wants to be home to deal with whatever it is. Calgary or the other teams really don't put him that much closer & air connections aren't great. Try checking possible flights from Calgary to Winnipeg.

If you take the tack I high lighted he wants to play only for the Jets as it's 42 home stands & the practice days. Most days he'll be close to St. Malo.

It was indeed a very silly request to begin with because of the very reason you said. No NHL team is really that close to home except Winnipeg. Nonetheless, the request was still made public and if I remember correctly, Hamonic confirmed it himself in which he later said he will wait to the summer if necessary.

So with the request being so silly to begin with and he still made it, maybe his problem is actually with New York? Perhaps he walks the streets in fear of terrorism? Maybe it's too busy a city for him? Maybe it's too liberal a city for him?

I don't know. Rumour was, he said he would be okay with any team in "Western Canada" so maybe he failed geography in high school? So many things don't make sense with the request and he still made it and said he'll wait until the summer if necessary.

I'm just going off what he said. You're going off logic and his request makes no logical sense.

It was indeed a very silly request to begin with because of the very reason you said. No NHL team is really that close to home except Winnipeg. Nonetheless, the request was still made public and if I remember correctly, Hamonic confirmed it himself in which he later said he will wait to the summer if necessary.

So with the request being so silly to begin with and he still made it, maybe his problem is actually with New York? Perhaps he walks the streets in fear of terrorism? Maybe it's too busy a city for him? Maybe it's too liberal a city for him?

I don't know. Rumour was, he said he would be okay with any team in "Western Canada" so maybe he failed geography in high school? So many things don't make sense with the request and he still made it and said he'll wait until the summer if necessary.

I'm just going off what he said. You're going off logic and his request makes no logical sense.

On the other hand, if his family is in Manitoba, then he only goes to the 'Peg twice a year with NYI. In the central division or even in the pacific, he's in the area more often. The rumors I heard was that his wife wanted him closer to home with an expected child (that's now probably a newborn). So even in CGY or Minny, there's a more direct flight if he needs/wants to dash home. New York would have connections and lay overs (which could delay him considerably).

If his wife knew she didn't want to leave Manitoba and he knew he wanted to play pro hockey, he probably should've signed with the Jets (if they were there when he signed a contract) or at least have signed closer to home. Sure it's less money, but would he really miss a few million in the course of his multi-million dollar career? I've heard it said, "I'm momma ain't happy no one is" and another like it "a happy wife, is a happy home." I don't know how true those sayings are, #foreveralone/#lonelydriver'sclub, but if it was going to be an issue, he and his wife didn't exercise much prudence; hence, the odd "illogical" request.

"Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: This year’s draft basically begins at No. 4, as the Maple Leafs, Jets, and Blue Jackets will select one of Auston Matthews, Patrik Laine and Jesse Puljuvari.

Will Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli put the No. 4 pick in a package to see if Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin will listen to an offer for P.K. Subban?

Matheson makes a package of the No. 4 pick, Leon Draisaitl and Oscar Klefbom for Subban and the No. 9 pick. At No. 9, the Oilers could be in a position to draft one of the top three defensemen – Mikhail Sergachev, Olli Juolevi or Jakub Chychrun.

Matheson suggest trading winger Nail Yakupov to the Hurricanes. Could the Oilers get a top-end prospect and a draft pick for him? The Hurricanes do have two second round picks. The Oilers could look at 2015 fourth round pick Nicolas Roy.

Would the Blue Jackets offer the No. 3 pick and a prospect for Nugent-Hopkins?"

Man, what is Katz putting in those complementary press cigars? Must be some pretty potent stuff. Unless most of Edmonton is high on 1st OA pick brownies.

RNH is maybe worth the pick alone, Not an added prospect too.

Both Fins are NHL ready and just as good as RNH was. Plus CBJ would have to inherit the contract as well. The oilers should actually add to that trade... But they have no one else to send as a prospect.

The Subban idea looks a little more realistic.

RNH is maybe worth the pick alone, Not an added prospect too.

Both Fins are NHL ready and just as good as RNH was. Plus CBJ would have to inherit the contract as well. The oilers should actually add to that trade... But they have no one else to send as a prospect.

The Subban idea looks a little more realistic.

I guess Matheson thinks the BJs are desperate for a center. That #3 would probably land a better 1 than RNH on a better contract. 

If they chose to keep the pick Columbus gets a player with huge top end on an ELC.

On the PK Subban 1 omitting the #9 makes it more realistic but still doubtful. It's 2 good probables & a pick that carries good potential for a top 10 in the league D that's only 26. Since it's considered the big 3 followed by #s 4 through 15 the Habs aren't going to give him up just to move up 5 spots. Maybe they would if they get to pick 2 of that 2nd tier.

For PK the BJs would probably put together a better package including pick #3. Maybe Seth Jones or Ryan Murray along with 1 of their many good prospects added to #3.

• 2 weeks later...

Has to burn Edmonton fans that the McLellan led Sharks missed the playoffs last season and haven't made it to the conference finals since 2011. Plus they look on the verge of getting to the cup finals, something never done under McLellan.

They did it in a year when most people projected them to miss the playoffs. The only major change was a move from McLellan.

Meanwhile the Oilers managed to be one of the worst in the league yet again despite adding McDavid and McLellan.

Has to burn Edmonton fans that the McLellan led Sharks missed the playoffs last season and haven't made it to the conference finals since 2011. Plus they look on the verge of getting to the cup finals, something never done under McLellan.

They did it in a year when most people projected them to miss the playoffs. The only major change was a move from McLellan.

Meanwhile the Oilers managed to be one of the worst in the league yet again despite adding McDavid and McLellan.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too.  Jumbo and Little Joes are still leading the team, but the off-ice stuff is gone.  

Oilers will use the "McDavid injury" excuse as to why he didn't make more of an impact.  I think the team actually won less when he was in the lineup.  Oh well, his unstoppable breakaways on average goaltenders sell more tickets, orange jerseys (Orange?  Really?).  Chia will trade some players and they will be in the same boat for years.  Coaching and a few top prospects is not going to make a difference.

While I do agree that Deboer is getting more out of the group the Sharks added Martin Jones, Donskoi, Paul Martin and Joel Ward to the team. Jones over Niemi is a huge upgrade as Niemi was a big reason the Sharks missed the playoffs last year and IMO he is an extremely overrated goalie. The Sharks can roll 4 good lines at you and have all playoffs and IMO it's kept their big guns fresh. They Couldn't do that last year.

Mclellan is a very good coach IMO. I don't think swapping him for Deboer is what has made the biggest impact for the Sharks they are also a much better team.

Is that the guy that points fingers and throws players under the bus while never winning anything as a head coach?  He’s a perfect fit in Edm.

I actually felt his rant was justified.  He didn't name anyone.  

I’m looking forward to around game 60 next year when the Oilers playoff hopes are once again extinguished, then watching TM deliver the “keeping tabs on effort” speech while wearing a discussed look on his face and acting like he’s baffled why the Oiler curse continues.

I’m looking forward to around game 60 next year when the Oilers playoff hopes are once again extinguished, then watching TM deliver the “keeping tabs on effort” speech while wearing a discussed look on his face and acting like he’s baffled why the Oiler curse continues.

He made as many "questionable player usage" decisions as Hartley did last year, but he had to evaluate the players the "management team" were high on.  Jultz, Yak, Pouliot, Draisaitl, Nurse, etc.  Once Yak was off McJezub's line, he knew what he had.  

I don't think you have to wait until game 60.  Likely happen after Christmas.  And he will continue with the "not showing up" rant, until Chia gives him a lineup of heart-and-soul players.

He made as many "questionable player usage" decisions as Hartley did last year, but he had to evaluate the players the "management team" were high on.  Jultz, Yak, Pouliot, Draisaitl, Nurse, etc.  Once Yak was off McJezub's line, he knew what he had.  

I don't think you have to wait until game 60.  Likely happen after Christmas.  And he will continue with the "not showing up" rant, until Chia gives him a lineup of heart-and-soul players.

I think my opinion on BH is well known.  Unless you’re around the team on a FT basis and attend every practice I doubt you’re qualified to be too critical of player usage.  When half of your top 6 are rockies and sophomores (JHG, Monahan, Bennett and Ferland PT) its hard to be too critical of the coach.  The only questionable player usage BH had imo was giving Hiller ice time in the final 10 games or so, plus giving Backstrom more ice time than what was promised.  Most were cheering for losses by that time anyway for the sake of a sexy draft pick.  Outside of Backstrom, I wonder how much say management had on GT usage down the stretch? 

TM failures come from giving some players 20 plus minutes a night then criticizing them after the game.  If a player is not playing the right way, then maybe sit him on the bench or in the press box?  But what do I know.  Rant’s don’t get you very far, and they become less effective with every use.

I think my opinion on BH is well known.  Unless you’re around the team on a FT basis and attend every practice I doubt you’re qualified to be too critical of player usage.  When half of your top 6 are rockies and sophomores (JHG, Monahan, Bennett and Ferland PT) its hard to be too critical of the coach.  The only questionable player usage BH had imo was giving Hiller ice time in the final 10 games or so, plus giving Backstrom more ice time than what was promised.  Most were cheering for losses by that time anyway for the sake of a sexy draft pick.  Outside of Backstrom, I wonder how much say management had on GT usage down the stretch? 

TM failures come from giving some players 20 plus minutes a night then criticizing them after the game.  If a player is not playing the right way, then maybe sit him on the bench or in the press box?  But what do I know.  Rant’s don’t get you very far, and they become less effective with every use.

I'm not sure why you are going off about it anyway.  Both BH and McLellan made choices that not everyone agreed with or understood.  Why play Jultz 21 minutes?  Whay play Bollig 15 minutes?  Why move Backlund to the 4th line?  Why give a good PP player like Frolik zero minutes for 99% of the season.  Why play Colborne for about 100 minutes of PP time without any points at all?

I was not the only one asking these questions.  I also think there was a disconnect with BT on some of these choices.  He alluded to these without naming the players.  

As I was saying, both these coaches made decisions that didn't make much sense.  TM does deserve some leeway, as he and Chia both needed to root out the problem children.  I'm not going to speculate what usage BH made that got him in hot water.  The next coach will need to be in tune with BT.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A mock re-draft of the 2011 draft:

https://www.nhl.com/news/2011-nhl-re-draft-gaudreau-jumps-to-no-1/c-280996940?tid=277764372

1. Johnny Hockey

2. Landeskog

3. Saad

4. Kucherov

5. Huberdeau

6. Palat

7. Nuge

8. Couturier

9. Gibson

10. Dougie Hamilton

Flames have 2 in the top 10 and 3 in the top 30. Nice.

Oilers still suck. Really though, if Nuge wasn't on such a trash team, he might not have fallen so far.

Archived